Akira Toriyama Passes Away.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Akira Toriyama Passes Away.

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:28 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:57 am He was in New York City once though (2002), wasn't he?
And Germany of all places in 2004, so he did make very seldom public appearances. Only 200 were allowed in and reportedly the event would have been cancelled if anyone took out a camera.

I also recall Toriyama saying in one of the manga volumes he had been to Australia, although I assume that was just a trip with his wife, perhaps before he became famous.

But yeah I'm sure Toriyama would have been treated like royalty had he travelled anywhere in South America anytime after Dragon Ball made its way to the continent.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:03 pm

Sadly, Germany's DB Fandom was ALSO in its infancy back in 2004. Dragon Ball premiered in 1999.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:03 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:51 am
Ssj3Engels wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:55 pm Damn...first Kikuchi, and now the "main man" himself...that's really sad... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Don't forget Hiromi Tsuru and Jôji Yanami. Now Masako Nozawa is one of the few who was associated with the anime since the beginning (Toriyama of course writing the source material) that's still around.
Of course, I know (and probably should have mentioned) about them, but I singled out Kikuchi and Toriyama because, to me personally, they represent the best of the anime. IOW, they are my "favorites". The same way I consider Howard Shore as #2, and Peter Jackson as #1, regarding my LOTR fandom (the movies, that is). Of course, there is a slight difference in that PJ was actually involved in the movies, since he was the freaking director, while Toriyama was almost exclusively involved with the manga, and had little to do with the anime, but I think you got the point! :wink:

If the OST is phenomenal, as in the case with DB and LOTR, I consider the composer on the same level as the creator/writer/director/etc.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:24 am

Ssj3Engels wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:03 am If the OST is phenomenal, as in the case with DB and LOTR, I consider the composer on the same level as the creator/writer/director/etc.
Most definitely, Shunsuke Kikuchi brought Akira Toriyama's manga to life, its just the perfect score whether it's the adventure, comedy, action or tranquill moments in Dragon Ball, his score just captures them all so well you can just listen to the music and visualize it all in your head. No one has ever been able to represent Dragon Ball in its entirety as faithfully as Kikuchi, Akihito Tokunaga came close, but there's always been that ideal sound missing since the series originally ended.

I know this thread is about Toriyama so I'll try to keep it that way, but I've never seen an official reason given for why Kikuchi was chosen to compose music for Dragon Ball, but it would be great to know. I wonder if it was a similar case to Masako Nozawa where Toriyama personally chose Kikuchi because thought he was the perfect fit? Maybe Toriyama was a fan of Kikuchi, as he was known to be a film buff, and Kikuchi was already in the business of composing for about 25 years by the time the Dragon Ball anime was first being produced.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 am

Kikuchi was 100% definitely chosen to do the music for Dragonball because he did the music for Dr. Slump. So that's probably what your actual question should be.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 am

That's fair enough, I forgot about Dr Slump, although I never really gave that a try.

It's definitely on my list of things to check out, I probably owe it to myself as Slump was the series that made Toriyama his millions. Plenty of Dr Slump characte4s also exist in the Dragon Ball world too, like Senbei, Midori, Gatchan and of course Arale herself.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 am

Adamant wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 am Kikuchi was 100% definitely chosen to do the music for Dragonball because he did the music for Dr. Slump. So that's probably what your actual question should be.
I know most would just think Kikuchi was lazily inserted into DB but he swam like a fish on DB. And I dont mean JUST OG DB, he was awesome and kept evolving with Dragon Ball. There is a reason the scoring of the Original DB was so uniform and consistant and yet kept changing and maturing along with the show when it became DBZ.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

A composer known as a "Hitmaker" scoring two hit anime adaptations based on hit manga series by Toriyama is quite the legacy.
(It does however raise questions I won't go into now.)

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am A composer known as a "Hitmaker" scoring two hit anime adaptations based on hit manga series by Toriyama is quite the legacy.
(It does however raise questions I won't go into now.)
Yeah, even Wikipedia knows this much:

"The Tō-Ō Nippō Press also wrote that the success of the TV drama Abarenbō Shōgun, which aired for 800 episodes from 1978 to 2008, had people say; "If Shunsuke Kikuchi is in charge of the music, the show will be a hit."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shunsuke_Kikuchi

Yep, we and all other Dragon Ball fans can confirm that. :D :thumbup:

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

Ssj3Engels wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm Yeah, even Wikipedia knows this much:

"The Tō-Ō Nippō Press also wrote that the success of the TV drama Abarenbō Shōgun, which aired for 800 episodes from 1978 to 2008, had people say; "If Shunsuke Kikuchi is in charge of the music, the show will be a hit."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shunsuke_Kikuchi

Yep, we and all other Dragon Ball fans can confirm that. :D :thumbup:
It was also mentioned in a page dedicated to him on a Hirosaki city website: https://hirosaki.keizai.biz/column/41/

It's a bit curious though how, aside a few exceptions, most of his work tended to be for Toei and to a larger extent Nippon Columbia.

Given the fact that Dr. Slump & Dragon Ball were both authored by Toriyama who's clearly a legend in his own right, it's interesting to think about how much of the hit factor there was to go around. But I'll put that off for another time.