Don't know where else to put this

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Don't know where else to put this

Post by 707 » Fri May 14, 2004 7:08 am

I have a few questions.

1: Why has VIZ been censoring Dragonball Z, but not Dragonball? Do they plan on going back and "re-releasing" Dragonball Z uncut with the red covers? I heard a rumor like this... a while ago, and it just seems painfully obvious that they may be doing this now. Also, has anyone been able to actually get in touch with VIZ about any of this? It worked the first time.

2: Why can't Funimation make a disc that stays in its DVD case? I've had to return 4 boxsets so far because discs fell out of their cases and got scratched up.

3: Is there any indication that the first 13 episodes of Dragonball will be released on DVD anytime soon? My girlfriend wants to start watching the series from the begining, and it would be nice to actually watch all of those other DVDs that I own.

That it, I guess.

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Don't know where else to put this

Post by tablet the eunuch » Fri May 14, 2004 7:54 am

707 wrote: 2: Why can't Funimation make a disc that stays in its DVD case? I've had to return 4 boxsets so far because discs fell out of their cases and got scratched up.

3: Is there any indication that the first 13 episodes of Dragonball will be released on DVD anytime soon? My girlfriend wants to start watching the series from the begining, and it would be nice to actually watch all of those other DVDs that I own.
2. because of the cases they use. Not sure.

3. Once the Kidmark license for those first 13 episodes (and subsequently, the first movie) run out. FUNimation are prepped and ready to go with the release, however, that paticlar set is in their way. No one has yet said when the license runs out.

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Fri May 14, 2004 8:08 am

Even though it's a Region 4 (IIRC) release, the first 13 eps have a box all made up for the discs, so if they're preparing, hopefully it won't be too far off for our Pilaf episodes and first movie.

It's the second movie that drives me nuts. Wasn't that the first damn VHS they ever released under their own license? What's with the delay on that DVD?
"Chrysanthemums will wither together with its leaves, lying beside the fiery eyes soaked with blood. Even then, your sublime status will never be shaken, even if only half of your limbs will remain. To increase the fascination within the drama, should the search for a new partner begin? If so, then head to the east. You will definitely meet the one who is waiting for you."

Post by 707 » Fri May 14, 2004 9:35 am

I was reading through my new versions of VIZ's Dragonball Z comics, and I noticed that they censored Gohan's wiener, but not a head getting sliced off, a few impalings, and numerous scenes of children being brutally assaulted! OH NOEZ!

Also, the cases that Funimation uses are terrible. I'm tired of returning DVDs. I ordered two sets from Amazon. I'm going to pick and choose the DVDs that haven't fallen out of the cases, and then I'm shrink wrapping one set full of defects and sending it back.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri May 14, 2004 1:14 pm

That's the American way! Hardcore violence is allowed, as long as no-one says any naughty words or makes any sexual comments. (I could go on for ages as to how the Grant Theft Auto games can show decapition, with blood spurting out the nex,t but they can't show a pair of boobies. But I'll postpone).

As to why Z is censored and not DB, I'd say two reasons.

1/ Z is the more popular of the two series, and so is the one more likely to come under parents scrutiny.

2/ DB has more objectionable material in it. Censoring DBZ only requires about 9 edits throughout the whole of the series, whereas the first DB book required as least half a dozen alone.

They were both uncensored, and then both censored. And then people complained, and they uncensored DB. It might have been a case of them picking their fights, and if they were only going to uncensor one, I'm glad it was DB.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Fri May 14, 2004 3:15 pm

Plus it's kinda impossible to censor one certain part of DB. Which makes me ask... In the Baba Saga, during the Yamucha versus the invisible man fight... in the dub version of that episode, exactly HOW did they get around that event that allowed Yamucha to win? It's a very clear shot of Bulma boob!
"Chrysanthemums will wither together with its leaves, lying beside the fiery eyes soaked with blood. Even then, your sublime status will never be shaken, even if only half of your limbs will remain. To increase the fascination within the drama, should the search for a new partner begin? If so, then head to the east. You will definitely meet the one who is waiting for you."

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri May 14, 2004 3:19 pm

Ben Plante wrote:Plus it's kinda impossible to censor one certain part of DB. Which makes me ask... During Yamucha versus the invisible man, in the dub version of that episode, exactly HOW did they get around that? It's a very clear shot of Bulma boob!
This would be an opportune time for a shameless self plug, but I won't.

In short: can of tomato soup. Everyone bitched, but I thought it was hilariously cute, like the "mad cow technique" and "bellybutton" lines.

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Fri May 14, 2004 3:21 pm

Why would everyone bitch, you'd think they'd expect something dumb like that. Did they exact large Bulma boob on Cartoon Network?

Tomato soup... snicker, it's awfully hilarious, but hilariously awful. LOVE IT.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri May 14, 2004 3:32 pm

Some people bitched in that "OMG FUNIMATION IS EVIL THERE RUINING THE SHOW" sort of way. I don't know why anyone would expect otherwise. They were pretty creative in their handling of it, really.

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Fri May 14, 2004 4:02 pm

I've never understood why, when people compain about the dub, the first things on their list is always the editing and lack of cursing. Surely they aren't watching the series solely for the purpose of seeing Bulma's breasts and hearing Vegeta call Goku a bastard? Isn't it the story, voices, and music that matter most? I don't really care if they edit someone's bare bottom, I'm not watching the series for that nor did I particularly want to see it in the first place. There's nothing lost if Funi cuts a few frames of blood splattering. There is something lost when Freeza is saying: "Whatever turns you on, big boy."
Last edited by Alias on Mon May 17, 2004 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri May 14, 2004 6:04 pm

Ben Plante wrote:Plus it's kinda impossible to censor one certain part of DB. Which makes me ask... In the Baba Saga, during the Yamucha versus the invisible man fight... in the dub version of that episode, exactly HOW did they get around that event that allowed Yamucha to win? It's a very clear shot of Bulma boob!
I'm not sure about the actual dub (i.e. the one on DVD)... but the edited version uses (as others have suggested) a can of tomato soup.

Anyone have an audio/video clip of the uncut version? It's obvious that they couldn't waltz around it, but how blatant did they make it?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri May 14, 2004 6:53 pm

Don't have a DVD drive to make a clip, but I just watched it quickly. The dialogue was pretty subtle; just "you stand here, you stand here". But that's pretty much how it also went originally, IIRC.

The afterwards portion is toned down, though. For Buruma, instead of being like, "how dare you expose a young girl's breasts!", she just made violence threats. But for Kamesennin, the bleeding to death notion is toned down, though afterwards: "That was reckless! But I loved every minute of it."

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri May 14, 2004 10:49 pm

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I like how they make dialogue about some things in the dub a little more subtle. Like in movie #8 when Old Man Roshi says he's tired of being on the "New Vegeta" because he wants to get his hands on some movies and magazines, I laugh because you think, "We know what kinds of movies and magazines, you want to see."

Post by 707 » Sat May 15, 2004 3:14 am

I guess the few small edits in the Manga don't really bother me. I've had those Japanese volumes for ages now, and as much as it bothers me to alter the original creator's blah blah blah... its not like the translations were perfect enough to make make me feel like the edits are such a huge loss. I already have to BRACE myself when I read Dragonball Z, with Piccolo's old english and VIZ's HIP MODERN dialogue thrown in every here and there.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat May 15, 2004 8:25 pm

I remember someone once praising Piccolo's style of speach in the first few issues, saying that it was a good (or at least interesting) interpretation of his original style of talking.

Not that it matters too much. He's largely abandoned it by about halfway through the Namek saga. I'm not sure what you mean by "Ultra hip modern dialogue" though. When do they do that?

I agree with Alias, by the way, about the censoring. I'm not overly bothered by Vegeta not saying "bastard". I am annoyed by characters shouting "heck" every two seconds, because people do not talk like that when faced with certain doom.

I'm annoyed when things are changed that actually affect the show. The censoring of death during the Saiyan saga did that, because it took away any emotional impact of what was going on, and it was so stupid as to be patronising. But cutting out some blood because they have to? That's stupid to complain about.

And I know most people know this, but the "mad cow" technique was actually called the "drunk whatever" technique on the uncut dub. I've noticed that with Kame Sen'nin, the idea that he's a pervert is still very much there, in both the cut and uncut versions. In fact, it started to creep back in around the point Cartoon Network got the show and the censorship laws were relaxed. Generally though, a lot of scenes are played so that if you aren't aware he's a dirty old man, it's not screamingly obvious (especially in the "cut" dubs). If you do know what he's like though, then the clues are all there. They aren't pretending he's not a pervert, they're just being a bit more subtle (as Super Sonic said).

One question: What's the "belly button" line?
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sat May 15, 2004 9:32 pm

PsyLiam wrote:One question: What's the "belly button" line?
Very beginning of Dragon Ball, when Kamesennin wants Buruma to flash her panties on the beach. Instead, he asks to see her bellybutton. He even compared it to the "pop singer girls on TV".

I thought it was a pretty clever work around.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Mon May 24, 2004 10:47 am

Does anyone know where that can came from? It's definately not from Dragonball, and if it is, I don't recall it. Also, it looked like an effing soda can, with the soda superimpose-colored red...
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Mon May 24, 2004 10:56 am

They probably just drew it themselves. It wouldn't be that hard.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon May 24, 2004 2:37 pm

The tomato soup can? It's from DB Movie 2.

As for the censoring, why cant they just have the characters yell "Argh!", instead of having them use moronic pseudo-swear words noone ever use outside childrens television?

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon May 24, 2004 3:41 pm

It could've been worse. Picture if instead of the pseudo-swear words, they had Yosemite Sam style swearing.