"EyeCatchers !??"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dragonpearls
Not-So-Newbie

"EyeCatchers !??"

Post by dragonpearls » Mon May 17, 2004 1:55 pm

On the DVD/Movie session, they mention "eyecatchers ." What did they mean by that? :?
[i]......HI! ^_^[/i]

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Mon May 17, 2004 2:18 pm

They are little two second animation sequences played just before and just after the advert break. Modern TV doesn't tend to have them (if they have anything, it's just a title card), but older shows do, both in the west and Japan. If you own any DB DVDs, every episode has the eyecatchers on (which involve Goku doing something with either Roshi or Oolong). Some of the DBZ episodes have them on, and they consist of toddler Gohan running around Goku, or Kaio driving his car into Goku, depending on where you are in the series.

Hope that helps. And, y'know, you'd get responses without having to make it sound all shocking!?!!!??!?!?!
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Mon May 17, 2004 2:27 pm

In GT, the eyecatchers have practically the entire cast getting into a car, which is crushed by Goku riding a dinousaur. Then, after the commercial, it shows Trunks repairing the car and everyone getting back into it then driving off with the dinosaur waving after them.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon May 17, 2004 7:53 pm

Eyecatches for American cartoons on dvd depend on whether they were shown in syndication or some network. So Transformers and G.I. Joe have them on their dvds, while X-Men doesn't.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Mon May 17, 2004 8:02 pm

I remember watching an episode on TV in the Freeza saga where the eyecatcher was shown, but with weird music... or something. Yeah, I'm confused and don't exactly know what I saw. Kill me.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon May 17, 2004 8:15 pm

**Kills Zacko**

Do any of the DBZ DVDs (preferably the movies or TV specials) have Easter Eggs?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon May 17, 2004 8:26 pm

Dayspring wrote:Do any of the DBZ DVDs (preferably the movies or TV specials) have Easter Eggs?
If you want to consider it one...

DBZ movie 6 will play the commercial for DBZ movie 7 at the end of the feature if you've got the Japanese audio track selected. It's the one I based my AF commercial off of. That's all I'm aware of, though.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon May 17, 2004 8:32 pm

Thanky. Crappy, but I like easter eggs. :)
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon May 17, 2004 11:44 pm

In the beginning episodes of GT, the eyecatcher is of Goku, Trunks, and Pan trying to grab a star, only to have a bunch fall on top of them in a big pile.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

dragonpearls
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dragonpearls » Tue May 18, 2004 12:27 am

Wow, I wasn't aware of any of that. Thanks^_^

...yah, I do remember seeing that " Goku/Gohan" pices on the Trunks saga DVD.
Also I have some bootleg dvds of the first 4 beganing sags and they had that as well.
Do they still use that today?
[i]......HI! ^_^[/i]

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Tue May 18, 2004 4:32 am

Does anyone know what the eyecatchers were on the two TV Specials?

I’d heard Toei had made one’s especially made for them, one’s which were never used for the TV series and on the Funi DVD’s I’ve got of them, they’re not on there.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue May 18, 2004 10:58 am

dragonpearls wrote:...yah, I do remember seeing that " Goku/Gohan" pices on the Trunks saga DVD.
Also I have some bootleg dvds of the first 4 beganing sags and they had that as well.
Do they still use that today?
Have you got the re-released Trunks saga DVDs, because the eyecatchers aren't on mine (which are the original release).

What do you mean, do they still use them today? On what? Some of the old DVD releases don't have them, but all the new ones do. When they get around to releasing DVDs of the Saiyan and Namek sagas in uncut form, they'll almost certainly be on them.
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."

Mochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mochi » Tue May 18, 2004 7:15 pm

Jodaku wrote:Does anyone know what the eyecatchers were on the two TV Specials?

I’d heard Toei had made one’s especially made for them, one’s which were never used for the TV series and on the Funi DVD’s I’ve got of them, they’re not on there.

I think I'm answering your question... Well, on the Trunks movie, they had little chibi Trunks and Gohan heads (so cute! :D ), and I think I remember the Trunks one crying or something.... Is that right? I'm not sure about the Bardock one, though. :?

Jodaku, I love your avatar! ^__^
Yes... I am... but you don't know that...

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue May 18, 2004 8:26 pm

Mochi wrote:
Jodaku wrote:
Jodaku, I love your avatar! ^__^
Now I wonder why? :wink:
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

SpiritBomb
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SpiritBomb » Tue May 18, 2004 10:43 pm

I dont really know much of Japanese eyecatchers, but ya know that old show, Rocket Robin Hood?! I just realized, its a 30 minute show but it has only 18 minutes of the actual episodes! The rest, is I guess something you could call eyecatchers.
Some day, you'll be wishing for today.

http://gogocookiedough.blogspot.com/

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue May 18, 2004 10:52 pm

[sarcasm]ROCKET ROBIN HOOD IS THE BEST SHOW EVAR. [/sarcasm]

No, they're just doing character biographies and singing the theme song over and over again. Doesn't count.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue May 18, 2004 10:55 pm

Eyecatchers are only a couple of seconds long, not 12 minutes.

Most 30 minutes shows are only about 22 minutes in length, due to the obscenely long and frequent ad breaks they have on US TV. (Two ad breaks in 30 minutes? Don't you people have any bladder control?)

If you took something like Dragon Ball Z, added in the episode prologues and "next time" segments, along with the opening and ending credits and eyecatches, then you'd find that each episode is probably only about 18 minutes long. Add in all the flashbacks, repeated animation, and scenes of people standing there staring at each other and NOT ACTUALLY DOING ANYTHING DAMNIT, then I think each episode of Dragon Ball Z works out to about 3 minutes in length.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue May 18, 2004 11:09 pm

Agreed...

I know you're being sarcastic, but... It's not a problem of bladder control. If it was, I wouldn't complain nearly as often! (About the commercials, not my bladder.)

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue May 18, 2004 11:13 pm

It's great when they show US programs on the BBC, as they rip through them in 45 or 22 minutes straight.

Actually, even when shown on commercial TV they still have less ad breaks than US TV does, due to some strigent advertising laws. This means that the ad breaks at the end of shows tend to be quite long, especially as they are often non-existant in US shows. (I know they're worried about you channel hopping, but I'm sure that they sometimes start the next episode before the previous one has finished over there.)

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue May 18, 2004 11:32 pm

PsyLiam wrote:Actually, even when shown on commercial TV they still have less ad breaks than US TV does, due to some strigent advertising laws.
I'm moving there. Now.