Tapion's Sword

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TGDweezl
Beyond Newbie

Tapion's Sword

Post by TGDweezl » Tue May 18, 2004 7:36 pm

Ok, I'm sure someone can answer this for me:

At the end of Movie 13, Tapion hands present-time Chibi Trunks his sword before hopping the the time machine. The end credits roll and you see Future Trunks using the VERY SWORD that Tapion gave present-time Chibi Trunks. Can someone explain the origins of Future Trunks' sword?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue May 18, 2004 7:54 pm

You see Future Trunks using a sword. The ending is just a Trunks montage. If you want to assume it's the same sword and attempt to come up with some explanation, you're more than welcome to, but count me out ^^.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TGDweezl
Beyond Newbie

Post by TGDweezl » Tue May 18, 2004 8:03 pm

But both sword looks oddly familiar....sheath and all am I right? That's just too weird for me to ignore.

Is there really no sound explanation?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue May 18, 2004 8:13 pm

No. Please do your brain the biggest favor in the world and stop trying to figure it out. 8)
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Tue May 18, 2004 9:35 pm

Simple: Tapion comes to Earth, Hildegarn (sp?) is released, then ironically dies from a heart attack. Then Trunks swiped it. 8)

Mochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mochi » Tue May 18, 2004 9:36 pm

I've been trying forever to figure this out, and it just doesn't make sense at all. I'd just forget about it. :wink: So I say,"Yes, it's Tapion's sword." How did Future Trunks get it? No clue. :?
Yes... I am... but you don't know that...

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Wed May 19, 2004 3:58 am

I would say: TOEI doesn't understand that mirai no Trunks =/= main timeline Trunks.

So it's just a sword that looks the same as the one from mirai no Trunks, and just happened to be found by Trunks. It could've been Goten, or Gohan etc. It's all a big coincidence.

Or a conspiracy. >.>
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed May 19, 2004 7:16 am

I know! I know! One of them is a knock-off! There's bootlegging going on in DBZ! For shame! :D

PinkHair

Post by PinkHair » Wed May 19, 2004 4:49 pm

I think Mirai Trunks's sword ish Gohan's old sword... though.... I don't really know if that's a good theory... (I didn't really see the first few sagas...)
~*~ [url=http://pinkhair.journalspace.com]Journal[/url] ~*~ [url=http://www.toxin.org/cgi-bin/hugs.cgi?&HUGS=yes&hug=PinkHair]Hugs[/url] ~*~ [url=http://pinkhair.deviantart.com/]Art[/url] ~*~

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed May 19, 2004 5:02 pm

PinkHair wrote:I think Mirai Trunks's sword ish Gohan's old sword... though.... I don't really know if that's a good theory... (I didn't really see the first few sagas...)
It was a good idea, but it's not possible. The two swords are very different in terms of length and design.

PinkHair

Post by PinkHair » Wed May 19, 2004 5:13 pm

Alright.... but one thought... Mirai Trunks's sword... the ever popular, 'King Kold was able to hold it perfectly with two hands'... how ish it possible?

Maybe his sword was Minoshya's sword? Tapion was able to time travel, using the time machine, so I'm guessing he went and saved his little brother, then went to visit Trunks and ended up in the wrong timeline... in Mirai's timeline. That could be it... maybe...
~*~ [url=http://pinkhair.journalspace.com]Journal[/url] ~*~ [url=http://www.toxin.org/cgi-bin/hugs.cgi?&HUGS=yes&hug=PinkHair]Hugs[/url] ~*~ [url=http://pinkhair.deviantart.com/]Art[/url] ~*~

TGDweezl
Beyond Newbie

Post by TGDweezl » Wed May 19, 2004 5:59 pm

I like that theory. I'll gladly accept it and let my brain be at ease. I just thought that maybe someone with greater wisdom would be able to tell me what the heck was going on.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed May 19, 2004 6:30 pm

My goodness! If you're looking for someone with greater wisdom, don't look here! :P

TGDweezl
Beyond Newbie

Post by TGDweezl » Wed May 19, 2004 8:51 pm

Hey, most of ya'll know more than I do when it comes to DB so obviously ya'll have "greater wisdom" than I at least.

The whole thing just totally warped my fragile little mind when I saw it so I had to ask. It's still messing with my head...did Toriyama/TOEI do it to fry people's brains?!

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Wed May 19, 2004 10:32 pm

Actually, it's very possible that Mirai Trunks got his sword from Tapion. Here's how...

By the time M-Trunks is 8, the world is mostly in ruins, people are in hiding, etc... Hoi shows up in search of the other music box. He finds it but is unable to open it. Shenron is gone, so he can't simply wish it open. Brute strength won't help, so he searches for an alternate way. He encounters Gohan, who, being rather jaded by now, is suspicious of the old man. Hoi, upon discovering the situation with the Jinzoningen, offers his magical aid. He says that he's a survivor of the Jin's attacks and claims to have a personal vendetta. Gohan reluctantly accepts his story and introduces the man to Bulma to gauge her reaction. Bulma accepts his aid. After all, what have they got to lose? Hoi finds out about Bulma's incredible technical knowledge and begins to formulate a plan. He stays at Capsule Corporation for a while, keeping a close watch on everything and gradually earning Bulma's trust. He meets Trunks but dismisses the little brat as being unimportant. Trunks doesn't trust him, but his concerns are ignored. Later, Hoi lets it slip to Bulma that if he could open his music box, the only thing he was able to retrieve when his home was destroyed, their world could be saved. He explains that within the box is a powerful hero that could take down the Jin. Bulma takes the bait and theorizes that a mixture of technology and Hoi's magic might be able to do what neither alone can. Together, the two begin their work and eventually are able to open it (not gonna put in the details, since there's not enough time to fully work this out). Tapion comes forth. Bulma and Gohan are thrilled. Tapion isn't. He demands to be sealed again, but Hoi refuses. Gohan is able to sense Tapion's ki and finds that it clearly falls short of his own. He asks Hoi how Tapion would be of help, since he doesn't seem to have much power. Hoi launches into a story about how the years must have lessened the Hero's power. Tapion, though surprised by what Hoi's doing/has been doing, doesn't say as much. Disgusted, he leaves. Young Trunks, who still doesn't believe Hoi, follows without being noticed. That evening, Tapion takes refuge within the ruins of a building. Trunks hides to the side, watching him. Eventually, he approaches Tapion with questions about who he is and where he's from. Tapion doesn't answer at first, ignoring the boy. Trunks refuses to give up and eventually gets Tapion to tell all. Tapion tells of his homeworld, of the magicians, and finally, of his little brother. Trunks opens up as well, telling of the Jin, his dead father, and the fear that they all live in. As those two talk, Hoi leaves Capsule Corp and releases the lower half of Hildegarne. The Jin sense the monster's ki, as does Gohan, Tapion, and Trunks. The Jin find the monster, but decide to hide, knowing that the monster can't sense them. Gohan investigates, but also doesn't attack. He can't sense the Jin, so he doesn't know that they're nearby. Tapion takes off after Hildegarne, telling Trunks to stay put. Trunks follows regardless. The Jin and Gohan pause when they hear the sound of an ocarina playing. Hoi, floating in midair, simply calls out that such a thing can't stop the power of his monster. To his shock, Hildegarne's lower half disappears. Hoi, angered, attempts to summon it again. The Jin and Gohan burst forth from their hiding places at the same time. Gohan freezes in shock, blinking in time to see Hoi's lifeless body hit the ground. Tapion doesn't know that these two are the Jin and is afraid that Hildegarne will still emerge on its own. He holds out his sword, imploring that they kill him. Trunks runs out to stop Tapion, but is grabbed by Gohan. Gohan attempts to flee, but his path is blocked by Juuhachigou. Gohan tosses Trunks to the side, yelling at him to run away. Tapion realizes who they are and comes to Gohan's aid. Trunks watches as they fight a courageous but losing battle. Gohan realizes their imminent demise and gains enough time to use the Taiyoken. He calls for Tapion to follow them as he plucks Trunks from his place. Tapion doesn't answer and Gohan is forced to flee as the attack begins to fade. Trunks' last view is of Tapion attacking the Jin, his sword shining in the light. Later, after hiding for several hours, Gohan and Trunks return. They find Tapion's mangled body laying in the street, his hand still clutching the sword. Trunks slowly takes it from his hand, holding it in his own. Tapion is buried alongside the others that died against the Jinzoningen. Trunks keeps the sword as a momento, but later adopts it as his weapon.

This ended up as a rather tedious paragraph. I didn't intend for it to flesh out as much as it did and I don't have the time to format it into a better explanation. Forgive me any errors or 'off' moments, I'm very ill right now...

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu May 20, 2004 9:36 am

I think Future Trunks' sword is just a normal sword. Not Tapion's or anything. Its obviously not Gohan's sword from back in the day, because that sword was materialized by Piccolo specifically for a 5 year old. Toei just tried to explain some more plot holes, like they always do, with movie #13.

Sure its possible that Tapion couldve shown up in Trunks's timeline. But considering the diversity in years between the two timelines, Trunks may have not been born, or old enough, when he showed up.

So my theory, blame Toei for the confusion, again.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu May 20, 2004 6:32 pm

My thoughts: since #17+#18 were weaker in mirai land, maybe Hildegarn was too and got killed off by them. Or, Tapion managed to get Hildegarn back inside him for a bit (like when he told Chibi to kill him), but then he got offed by #whoever.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Fri May 21, 2004 4:06 am

It can't have been a normal sword, since: 1. Mirai Trunks would have no reason to even think of using a sword when he can use ki blasts and fists. 2. A normal sword would have no effect on the Jinzoningen. 3. I like my explanation better. ^_^

James R. Cadwell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by James R. Cadwell » Fri May 21, 2004 4:53 am

Alias wrote:It can't have been a normal sword, since: 1. Mirai Trunks would have no reason to even think of using a sword when he can use ki blasts and fists.
Greater reach and personal preference.
Alias wrote:2. A normal sword would have no effect on the Jinzoningen.
Trunks uses his "ki" to strengthen the blade. His clothing is also remarkably durable for the same reason.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat May 22, 2004 10:30 am

Also...maybe he just wants to look cool.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]