"Factoids" Section... Any Ideas?

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

"Factoids" Section... Any Ideas?

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:20 pm

I've been thinking about fun sections that I can throw up and update a little bit whenever we want / have more information to put into it (like the "Rumor Guide"). In fact, this section would be the exact OPPOSITE of the "Rumor Guide"...

How about something like a "Factoids Guide"? I guess it wouldn't really be a *guide*... but it sounds pretty.

Things I would add would be, for example, the first ever mention of a "Super Saiya-jin" (which actually occurs right after Raditz dies; Nappa mentions to Vegeta that it seems they could raise a race of "Super Saiya-jin" if they mated with humans on Earth... Vegeta replies with the obvious, saying it would be stupid to raise children stronger than THEY are).

Stuff like that. NOT obvious information. Any interest? Any other ideas?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:27 am

I'm making a section like that called "Rare facts". I like "Factoids" better so I'm stealing it. You patented "Factoids GUIDE"! Nyaha! :P

I really think you should put 00ber Boo (after Kid Boo absorbed South Kaioshin) is the strongest form of Boo, and the whole how Goku's mom died in that section. I'd also mention how the Bardock tv special came out BEFORE the Bardock flashback chapter in the manga.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:52 am

A fun one to mention might be that the one and only time Buruma's mother opens her eyes is when Buruma asks her to watch baby Trunks because she's going out to meet Trunks! It's a cute little one I think, even though it's not that significant. I think you might also put down the interesting way Toriyama got the idea of "fusion". That it was actually fellow manga artist and friend Masakazu Katsura(Video Girl Ai) who thought up the idea, when Toriyama mentioned he couldn't think up anything stronger than a Super Saiyajin.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:55 am

Their's no real evidence that Boo was stronger after absorbing that big Kaioshin. His muscles mightve got huge, but that's only because he took his physical traits. They never say whether he got stronger or weaker.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:57 am

I agree with Jerseymilk! The first one'd be fun and the second one is HUGE!!!
Their's no real evidence that Boo was stronger after absorbing that big Kaioshin. His muscles mightve got huge, but that's only because he took his physical traits. They never say whether he got stronger or weaker.
Boo's power only reduced when he absorbed the Dai Kaioshin. Since every other absorbtion made him stronger I assume this one does too.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:22 am

All good suggestions (especially about Bulma's mom opening her eyes). I could also put to use my trivia file that I was using in the chat, over the summer.... many hundreds of questions in there that might be of use... *digs up*
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:55 am

I got two more: The first person wished back to life by the DBs? (Bora)

The fact that Upa was supposed to become a "main" character (along the lines of Chaozu) but NOBODY liked him so he got canned.

This one isn't fact, but is probably true: Androids 1-7 were made for the Red Ribbon Army for their discretion. Since Sargent Metallic/Metal/whatever he's called in english is an android working for the Red Ribbon army, well put 2 and 2 together. Along these lines there's also a possibility that Cyborg Tao Paipai may be Android 9-12.

Please don't all start yelling at me for spreading rumors, I was putting a " strong possibilities" bit at the end of my own Factoids section and thought you'd like them too.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:57 pm

I'd hate to do a similar section to you, even though I came up with it on my own totally independant of you :P. Would you like to collaborate on the listing, or something? We could co-host the list, or something along those lines. That'd be kinda neat.

WED BE... LIKE... TOTALLY AW3S0ME AFFILIATEZ!!!!~~~11

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:16 pm

that sounds like a good idea.

Of course you also might want to cover the harmony Gold dub in this kind of a thing or event the first FUNi DB, most know the FUNi DB, but it makes me feel special I saw it when it was new lol
-Laserkid

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:04 pm

WED BE... LIKE... TOTALLY AW3S0ME AFFILIATEZ!!!!~~~11
Y00~11 THAT W00D t0t007y r0x0rs~~11 (I can't sp33k 733t :cry: )

To be honest I've been giving ideas everywhere on the boards because I'm too bad at HTML (as in: me don't know none, yo) and am bad at making layouts (as in: me can't make none, yo), so I've even been musing over not making my site since I'm entering into my last semester of school and would be too busy. That way if nobody sees my crap-assed site at least I'd know they'd be seeing my ideas on a site as DB prestigious as yours.

I'd love to handle any info Daizenshuu 1+7 and manga-wise and stuff like this if you want.

Another section I've worked out is a "Strength Guide". I know, I know "Not ANOTHER PL section!". Well this takes EVERY comfirmed PL from the PL section of Daizenshuu 7, the bios of Daizenshuu 7 (not many ppl know Piccolo and 2nd form Freeza had a PL of 1 mil when they fought), the manga, Kili ratings, punch machine points and any mention of who's stronger or "as strong as", etc taken from the manga.
That section's special to me. It's my baby. :mrgreen:

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:15 pm

A Dragonball bit: Every site explains the diff sets of DBs (Kami's, Guru's, Dende's and Muri's), but nobody ever seems to notice that during the majin Boo saga Dende's went from 2 wishes Kami-style to 3.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:45 pm

Dayspring wrote:A Dragonball bit: Every site explains the diff sets of DBs (Kami's, Guru's, Dende's and Muri's), but nobody ever seems to notice that during the majin Boo saga Dende's went from 2 wishes Kami-style to 3.
I don't remember them ever making more than two wishes on Dende's balls (wow, that sounded dirty). Bulma made the one wish during the Buu saga to wish back the people Vegeta killed, and then the Earth balls were used a few months later to erase people's memories of Buu, right? The other wishes were made on the Namek balls (unless I'm forgetting something....)

Thought of another totally random tidbit in the vein of the only time Bulma's mom opened her eyes....Vegeta is the only full grown adult male to be shown naked in the manga ^_^ (it's when he steps out of the regeneration tank on Freeza planet 79, or where ever it was he went to heal after the Saiyan saga). The anime has considerable more nakedness than the original source ^o^
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:08 pm

When the made the wish using Dende's DBs Goku asks Dende what to do since he showed up too late. Dende answers not to let them use the other two wishes (never are three made, just reffered to) and that way they'll only have to wait 4 months before they can gather them again.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:48 am

Ahh, I see. I guess he either could have upgraded them sometime during the seven year gap between Cell and Buu, or maybe it was just a case of Toriyama-sensei forgetting how many wishes they were supposed to have ^_^ Either way, I never noticed that before (same thing with Nappa suggesting that the Saiyans mate with humans, since I guess I never carefully read that part of the manga at a time when I had enough knowledge of Japanese to know what the hell they were saying. Vegeta worried about raising a child stronger than him? As Bart would say, the ironing is delicious ^o^)
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:21 pm

Interesting factoid:

The first time Goku trains under 10g is between the Daimao Piccolo and 23rd budoukai. (The room of spirit and time for 1 month, which has 10x regular gravity)

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:50 pm

Another first time factoid:

The first time we get a hint that Gohan has powers in the anime. It's not seen of course in the English dub but, in the first episode of DBZ, Gohan's stuck in the rapids on a log and Goku tries to save him. He doesn't reach him in time though and it appears that Gohan has gone over a huge waterfall. However, Goku hears crying above him and flies up to find Gohan clinging to a tree branch sticking out of the cliff. Goku notices that the branch is way, way up above the top of the waterfall. Goku asks Gohan how he got up here but Gohan doesn't know. I know this isn't in the manga, but I think it's cute and begins teasing at the hint that there might be something mysterious about Gohan. :)

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:47 pm

Yeah, I think I actually like how the anime handles it much more so than the manga. In the manga, it's like... BOOM. You're both expecting it and not expecting it... and it's almost kinda cheesy, since you know it's coming.

In the anime, at least there's some foreshadowing to it that makes it less cheesy. I really, really liked the waterfall scene. The look on Goku's face after he looks UP to the tree branch is priceless.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:07 am

I also like the way that scene with Gohan shows how he at first has no control over his power and it just happens according to his emotions, since that aspect of his power continues to crop up many more times throughout the entirety of DBZ. It's a shame that Funimation took it out of the dubbed version. In a way, it's kind of a useful scene. As you said VegEx, it prepares you more.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:41 pm

Another factoid: Potala fusion is stronger than the fusion dance? Fusion dance combines the strength of the two fusors right? Well Potala fusion does the same, but the more the two are rivals the more power is added to the fusion.

Also, many people think Vegetto's name comes from the mix of Vegeta and Goku. This would result in Vegeku. In reality, Vegetto's name comes from Vegeta+Kakarotto.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:59 pm

Dayspring wrote:I'm making a section like that called "Rare facts". I like "Factoids" better so I'm stealing it. You patented "Factoids GUIDE"! Nyaha! :P
Actually back in the day Planet Namek had a Factoids section. Though since they're dead now so I suppose it would be alright if you used that title. :wink: I know their factoids had a lot of stuff from the various daizenshuu's, like Important Numbers (from daizenshuu 7) where they listed just about every number stated throughout DragonBall, a detailed section on the dragonballs themselves, and then some fun stuff like Sightings where they listed things that people spotted that were somewhat DBZ related, like food items and such...