Super Saiyan Gene Theory

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Super Saiyan Gene Theory

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sat May 29, 2004 9:56 pm

I know this idea has been thrown around before in various discussions, but I've been giving the subject some thought, and it could use its own thread. I believe that the transformation into SSJ depends as much on genetics as it does on strength, and this is why...

First you must assume that the Saiyans believed in selective breeding; parring up Saiyans of equal battle power together to have children. This is never actually stated as fact, but it's suggested heavily. Rank appears very important to the Saiyans, and it stands to reason that the stronger the parent, the stronger the child. So Saiyans would pair up the strongest to make sure that future generations inherited their strength, and their dominant genes.

Now ,Let's look at the very first SSJ to be introduced in DBZ, Goku. When he was born, he was ranked as the lowest level of Saiyan, and sent off as being useless. Because Goku was born with such a low power level, it can be assumed that he did not inherit these genes that seperate the high rank from the low rank.

Now why is this important? According to the legend of the SSJ, one would appear only once every thousand years. If the reason really is genetic, it means that the SSJ is so rare and recessive, that it only shows up once in proverbial blue moon. So, if Goku really was ranked as the lowest level because he inherited all of the Saiyans flawed, recessive genes, then he must have also inherited the SSJ gene.

Ah, but then what about Vegeta? Coming from a bloodline that has supposedly been selectively breeding with only the highest ranking Saiyans should have no chance of inheriting the SSJ gene under my theory, right?

Wrong. Let's take a look at what we know about the highest ranking Saiyans, namely Nappa and King Vegeta. What do these Saiyans have in common? Not only were they born with high battle powers to achieve their ranks, but they are both very tall and bulky. However, Prince Vegeta is extremly short, most likely not a desirable trait among Saiyan elites. If that is the case, then Vegeta too must have inherited some recessive genes, among them the possibility of becoming a SSJ.

And finally comes in the final, and most conclusive evidence of my Saiyan gene theory, the Saiyan and human hybrid. When Vegeta first learns about Gohans incredible strength against Raditz, he comments that Saiyans and humans create powerful hybrids, Super Saiyans. Now why would two seemingly unrelated species be capable of that, plot device? Maybe, but here's another idea!

If we agree that the SSJ gene is recessive, and that through generations of selective breeding that it was supressed by other more dominant genes, why should human DNA make a hybrid stronger instead of weaker? The answer is because human DNA would be the most compatible with Saiyans, since Saiyans are themselves part ape, and humans are a sub-species of ape. (This is undeniable, whether you believe in evolution or not) Because only one parent could give their dominant Saiyan DNA, the same genes that had been floating around in the pool for several generations, the introduction of new human DNA into the mix would allow the SSJ gene to surface.

Now having said that, I'm confident that someone more knowledgable in genetics is going to come along and poke holes in my theory, but at the moment it all seems to make sense to me.

James R. Cadwell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by James R. Cadwell » Sat May 29, 2004 11:47 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:Now why is this important? According to the legend of the SSJ, one would appear only once every thousand years. If the reason really is genetic, it means that the SSJ is so rare and recessive, that it only shows up once in proverbial blue moon. So, if Goku really was ranked as the lowest level because he inherited all of the Saiyans flawed, recessive genes, then he must have also inherited the SSJ gene. Ah, but then what about Vegeta? Coming from a bloodline that has supposedly been selectively breeding with only the highest ranking Saiyans should have no chance of inheriting the SSJ gene under my theory, right?
Why are you assuming that recessive genes would be less likely to manifest in the highest (and presumably smallest) class of a society with social stratification based on eugenics?
Deus ex Machina wrote:Wrong. Let's take a look at what we know about the highest ranking Saiyans, namely Nappa and King Vegeta. What do these Saiyans have in common? Not only were they born with high battle powers to achieve their ranks, but they are both very tall and bulky. However, Prince Vegeta is extremly short, most likely not a desirable trait among Saiyan elites. If that is the case, then Vegeta too must have inherited some recessive genes, among them the possibility of becoming a SSJ.
Low height isn't necessarily an indicator that recessive traits are being expressed. It's kind of like saying that a short person born in a community which idealizes tall people with black hair must also have blonde hair.
Deus ex Machina wrote:The answer is because human DNA would be the most compatible with Saiyans, since Saiyans are themselves part ape, and humans are a sub-species of ape. (This is undeniable, whether you believe in evolution or not) Because only one parent could give their dominant Saiyan DNA, the same genes that had been floating around in the pool for several generations, the introduction of new human DNA into the mix would allow the SSJ gene to surface.
The major problem I have with a "recessive Super Saiya-jin gene" theory are the odds of a Super Saiya-jin actually appearing. I don't know how an already uncommon recessive gene could survive in the gene pool when expression only occurs once every thousand years. IMO, it should either appear far more frequently or vanish. Blonde hair is a recessive phenotypical trait, and it either appears relatively often or doesn't appear at all.

As far as genetic explanations go, I think it's far more likely to be a random genetic mutation. There could be a set of "Saiya-jin power genes" which influence (what I assume to be) a multifactorial trait like "ki" strength. If there's a specific mutation present, the child has the potential to become a Super Saiya-jin. Interbreeding with humans might somehow dramatically increase the odds of this mutation. It's far-fetched, but I think it's more likely than a recessive gene remaining in circulation for centuries with no expression.

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun May 30, 2004 12:44 am

James R. Cadwell wrote: Why are you assuming that recessive genes would be less likely to manifest in the highest (and presumably smallest) class of a society with social stratification based on eugenics?
Because early Saiyans would know nothing about genetics; they're only understanding would be that strong parents = strong offspring. For example the SSJ from 1000 years ago, (Which I believe was one of Vegeta's ancestors) since he would likely choose a strong mate for himself, he would unknowingly be sending the SSJ into recession in future generations.
Low height isn't necessarily an indicator that recessive traits are being expressed. It's kind of like saying that a short person born in a community which idealizes tall people with black hair must also have blonde hair.
What I meant is that Vegeta had inherited some recessive genes (being short), but obviously not all of them, since he still looks strikingly similar to his father. This would also explain why it was so much harder for him to transform than Goku.
The major problem I have with a "recessive Super Saiya-jin gene" theory are the odds of a Super Saiya-jin actually appearing. I don't know how an already uncommon recessive gene could survive in the gene pool when expression only occurs once every thousand years. IMO, it should either appear far more frequently or vanish. Blonde hair is a recessive phenotypical trait, and it either appears relatively often or doesn't appear at all.
You have a good point about that, but that could be explained as well. It's possible their was many Saiyans who carried the recessive SSJ gene, but those Saiyans never actually transformed because they weren't powerful enough yet.

You can even look to Bardock as an example; just like Goku he was a lower-class Saiyan, but with an astounding PL of 10,000. He probably also possesed the SSJ gene, but was nowhere strong enough yet to transform before his death.[/i]

James R. Cadwell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by James R. Cadwell » Sun May 30, 2004 2:03 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:Because early Saiyans would know nothing about genetics; they're only understanding would be that strong parents = strong offspring. For example the SSJ from 1000 years ago, (Which I believe was one of Vegeta's ancestors) since he would likely choose a strong mate for himself, he would unknowingly be sending the SSJ into recession in future generations.
If elite Saiya-jin behaved anything like the aristocratic social classes on Earth, they chose to reproductively-isolate themselves from the lower classes and there may have been a tendency towards inbreeding. This would increase the probability that a Super Saiya-jin would be born, assuming the genetic "SSJ factor" (mutation, recessive gene, etc) was heritable and initially present in the community.
Deus ex Machina wrote:What I meant is that Vegeta had inherited some recessive genes (being short), but obviously not all of them, since he still looks strikingly similar to his father. This would also explain why it was so much harder for him to transform than Goku.
Height is polygenic. It's not determined by a purely recessive or dominant gene. There are a number of factors responsible for variation in height.
Deus ex Machina wrote:You have a good point about that, but that could be explained as well. It's possible their was many Saiyans who carried the recessive SSJ gene, but those Saiyans never actually transformed because they weren't powerful enough yet.
This makes more sense. In order for an "SSJ gene" to remain in the gene pool for a thousand years, it would have to be expressed fairly regularly. (even if it isn't triggered by high levels of power, etc) The only issue here is: why even hypothesize that there is a specific Super Saiya-jin gene when power could be the major factor?
Deus ex Machina wrote:You can even look to Bardock as an example; just like Goku he was a lower-class Saiyan, but with an astounding PL of 10,000. He probably also possesed the SSJ gene, but was nowhere strong enough yet to transform before his death.
If there is a recessive SSJ gene like you speculate, Bardock must have possessed it, otherwise Goku couldn't have become a Super Saiya-jin.

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun May 30, 2004 3:03 am

James R. Cadwell wrote:If elite Saiya-jin behaved anything like the aristocratic social classes on Earth, they chose to reproductively-isolate themselves from the lower classes and there may have been a tendency towards inbreeding. This would increase the probability that a Super Saiya-jin would be born, assuming the genetic "SSJ factor" (mutation, recessive gene, etc) was heritable and initially present in the community.
I believe that the Saiyan culture was heavily influenced by rank, such as the aristocratic social classes of Earth like you mentioned, but with one big difference. The Saiyan's social classes are based not on family, but on power. (this is evident by the way Bardock pretty much disowns his son right after birth)

For example, let's say that the original SSJ had two sons. The first was born with an exceptionally high power level, but his SSJ gene is in remission. The second son inherited the SSJ gene, but also more undesirable genes, initially making him weaker. The first son would go on to find a mate of equal strength, and his offspring would further put the gene into remission. Meanwhile the second son would have to choose a weaker mate, and while his offspring would be weak, the SSJ gene would be more prominent in them.
Height is polygenic. It's not determined by a purely recessive or dominant gene. There are a number of factors responsible for variation in height.
Granted; but in the case of Vegeta you would have to conclude genetics played some role. His father looked like he was atleast 7 feet tall without his hair, while at the beginning of DBZ Vegeta is about 4,9.
This makes more sense. In order for an "SSJ gene" to remain in the gene pool for a thousand years, it would have to be expressed fairly regularly. (even if it isn't triggered by high levels of power, etc) The only issue here is: why even hypothesize that there is a specific Super Saiya-jin gene when power could be the major factor?
I guess the reason why I like the "SSJ Gene" theory over the concept that any Saiyan could transform with enough power, is the way that certain Saiyans transformed.

I refer back to Goku, who after training for about 6 days in a gravity machine (and then some time in a recovery pod) was then physically capable of transforming. However, for Vegeta who had trained under 450 x Gravity for 3 years, he had literally pushed himself to the point of death before he could trigger his own transformation. If power alone was the factor for transforming, then it shouldn't have been so hard for Vegeta.

Not to mention the rediculouse ease with which Trunks and Goten were able to transform before they even hit puberty.
If there is a recessive SSJ gene like you speculate, Bardock must have possessed it, otherwise Goku couldn't have become a Super Saiya-jin.
Not necessarily; unless Bardock is a-sexual then Goku could've inherited the SSJ gene from his mother as well. :lol: [/b]

James R. Cadwell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by James R. Cadwell » Sun May 30, 2004 3:30 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:I refer back to Goku, who after training for about 6 days in a gravity machine (and then some time in a recovery pod) was then physically capable of transforming. However, for Vegeta who had trained under 450 x Gravity for 3 years, he had literally pushed himself to the point of death before he could trigger his own transformation. If power alone was the factor for transforming, then it shouldn't have been so hard for Vegeta.
Power doesn't seem to be the only factor for full Saiya-jin. Vegeta also needed to experience an emotional trigger, which apparently didn't happen until shortly before the Artificial Humans appeared. That might explain why it took him longer to reach Super Saiya-jin.
Deus ex Machina wrote:Not necessarily; unless Bardock is a-sexual then Goku could've inherited the SSJ gene from his mother as well. :lol:
Not if the gene is recessive. If there's a recessive Super Saiya-jin gene (s) and a dominant "normal" gene (S), Bardock would need to possess the recessive gene in order for his son to become a Super Saiya-jin. Bardock could either be:

Heterozygous (s)(S) -- which would mean that, while he possesses the "SSJ gene", he is not a Super Saiya-jin since it is suppressed by the dominant allele.

Homozygous recessive (s)(s) -- which would mean that Bardock has the potential to become a Super Saiya-jin.

If Bardock was dominant homozygous (S)(S), he could contribute only the dominant gene to Goku, which would prevent the recessive gene from being expressed. It wouldn't matter if his mother had the necessary gene.

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Sun May 30, 2004 5:59 am

I've always figured that the reason Vegeta was so short wasn't because of genes, but because of living in a state of perpetual starvation. If you look at his lifestyle, he spent massive amounts of time traveling from planet to planet with nothing to eat, and thus nothing to grow on. Trips probably took months at a time, since he wasn't even fazed by the idea of traveling for a year to get to Earth.

Lessee... If he spent an average of 9 months a year in space, for the first fifteen years he spent under Freeza, then he would have only spent a little over three years actually putting on weight. Considering his height on Earth, that's a possibility. His body would have matured as best as it was able, but it would have been severely stunted. Unlike Raditz and Nappa, Vegeta began this sort of life when he was five, well before he was able to put on much bulk. If he had not served Freeza, he might have ended up as large or close to as large as his father.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sun May 30, 2004 9:45 am

Alias could have a point there. Anyway, I'm not so sure about this theory. I've always figured that all Saiya-jins had the ability to become a Super Saiya-jin. And I've never really looked at power level as an important factor in the SSJ transformation. Power is part of it, but not the most important factor.

My theory is that all Saiya-jins possess the SSJ Trigger Sequence in their DNA. What it takes to activate the sequence is a specific substance the body produces, namely, adrenaline. We don't know for certain whether Saiya-jins produce adrenaline to the extent of Humans, but for the purposes of this theory, they don't.

Now, as for a full blooded Saiya-jin, adrenaline isn't an abundant thing. But higher power levels, plus emotional stress would produce more of it. Just as emotional stress produces increased adrenaline levels in Humans known to be the cause of ‘super human strength’ at times. The adrenaline in the Saiya-jin, when at high enough levels, would trigger the initial transformation in the various levels of SSJ.

Saiya-jin Human hybrids would have it easier. Humans produce adrenaline more than a Saiya-jin would forcing their powers up (and we’ve seen Gohan display the ‘adrenaline induced super human strength’ several times in the series). This would have made it easier for Gohan to go SSJ/2 than Goku or Vegeta. Same goes for Mirai no Trunks, Chibi Trunks, and Goten.

Though personally, I still believe Chibi Trunks and Goten were born with the gene already active since it was active in their fathers.

But anyway, thoughts on my theory?
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.