Toriyama had involvement in the movies?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gohan-kun
Not-So-Newbie

Toriyama had involvement in the movies?

Post by Gohan-kun » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:42 pm

I was always certain Toriyama had nothing to do with any of the Dragonball Z movies. However, someone claims that in an interview (a Daizenshuu one) he states he designed Brolli, Tapion, and Bojack. This person also states that in the interview, he says the reason he thoughtup the potara's was because it was being used in one of the movies but the chapter where they were introduced was made before movie twelve debuted. Can anyone confirm or deny this because I even recall Toriyama being asked about Brolli and he's like "Who's he? Was he in the manga?"

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:20 am

You'e friend is a liar. The Potaras weren't in the movies, only the dance. Toriyama didn't even know who Broli was when asked. Besides, iof he did make Broli, he'd be contradicting his own story about the Legenedary SS.

Unless I'm wrong. :-P
"Chrysanthemums will wither together with its leaves, lying beside the fiery eyes soaked with blood. Even then, your sublime status will never be shaken, even if only half of your limbs will remain. To increase the fascination within the drama, should the search for a new partner begin? If so, then head to the east. You will definitely meet the one who is waiting for you."

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:40 am

http://www.daizex.com/multimedia/images ... dex2.shtml

Only done his movie 5 stuff, so far. He indeed did a variety of character designs for movie villains, including Coola, Broli, and Bojack. That reminds me... we should... uhh... continue working on that page I just linked! I think I've got most of the images scanned, and Julian sent me some translations...

While we're on the subject, what do you think... both Japanese text AND the English translation on the same image, or JUST the English translation? I'm leaning both ways on the subject. Guess it matters more what you all think.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gohan-kun
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gohan-kun » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:44 am

Ben Plante wrote:You'e friend is a liar. The Potaras weren't in the movies, only the dance. Toriyama didn't even know who Broli was when asked. Besides, iof he did make Broli, he'd be contradicting his own story about the Legenedary SS.

Unless I'm wrong. :-P
I thought he was lying but then I stumbled upon this:

http://geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/8583/Dinterview6.html

He didnt do the movies but apparently took part in them. For years people had been claiming Toriyama had no involvement in the movies. Is this a fake interview? Also, he was asked about Brolli and he didn't even know who he was. When the interviewer told him, he never mentioned anything like "Oh yea, I had designed him for one of the movies."

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:41 am

Well, yeah, that's what I said, Tori DIDN'T design Broli, according to what I read in the SJ interview.
"Chrysanthemums will wither together with its leaves, lying beside the fiery eyes soaked with blood. Even then, your sublime status will never be shaken, even if only half of your limbs will remain. To increase the fascination within the drama, should the search for a new partner begin? If so, then head to the east. You will definitely meet the one who is waiting for you."

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:55 am

Well, you know he has the memory of a dead elephant.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:23 am

I like both languages EX. The English so those who aren't Julian can understand^_^, and the Japanese just so we can see exactly how the page originally looks.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:38 am

Gohan-kun wrote: Also, he was asked about Brolli and he didn't even know who he was.
Well, he was asked about Kame Sennin, and didn't remember who he was either. (or something like that) The man has bad memory.

Ryu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ryu » Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:43 am

I just thought I'd give this piece of information.

In the ending credits of the movies e.g. Cooler Revenge, it says Original Japanese Version "Dragon Ball Z" Author: Akira Toriyama (Director: Daisuke Nishio, Produced by Toei Animation Co). So unless Funimation are telling a fib, Akira Toriyama has had a role in the movies.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:46 am

That credit appears at the end of all FUNi stuff. And since we know he didn't actually write the anime, it is a bit of a fib. Or (more accuratly), them being a bit vague. It should probably say "Based on the manga "Dragon Ball", by Akira Toriyama".
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:48 am

Jerseymilk wrote:I like both languages EX. The English so those who aren't Julian can understand^_^, and the Japanese just so we can see exactly how the page originally looks.
But is the Japanese text in the same place it was originally?

I don't mind, really. It depends on whether the pages start to get a bit crowded if you use one that has lots of text on it.
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:07 am

Wait wait wait. This is too good. You`re telling me, Toriyama said in a US SJ that he didn`t know who Brolly was, yet he deisgned him? Please tell me I read that post incorrectly.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:03 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:Wait wait wait. This is too good. You`re telling me, Toriyama said in a US SJ that he didn`t know who Brolly was, yet he deisgned him? Please tell me I read that post incorrectly.
As far as I remember, it's true... Toriyama had no clue who Broli was. It was great. I'll look for the issue later on this evening, if no one else finds it first.

And for the record, yeah, I've moved the placement of text and images on those movie five pages. It was simply getting FAR too crowded... plus, I think I organized the images better than the daizenshuu did :P
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:46 pm

Ryu wrote:I just thought I'd give this piece of information.

In the ending credits of the movies e.g. Cooler Revenge, it says Original Japanese Version "Dragon Ball Z" Author: Akira Toriyama (Director: Daisuke Nishio, Produced by Toei Animation Co). So unless Funimation are telling a fib, Akira Toriyama has had a role in the movies.
And it's inaccurate, since it continually lists Daisuke Nishio as director for each movie (he was one of several, and didn't do any past #6), and the composers/lyricists for the themes of the first half of the TV series (CHA-LA and ZENKAI Power)... misspelling "Chiho Kiyooka" as "Chiho Kikuchi" to boot. But that's what I've come to expect from them, so...
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:41 pm

B-kun wrote:Well, you know he has the memory of a dead elephant.
Yes, Toriyama has a terrible memory. At that US Shonen Jump launch party they had a few years back, someone asked what happened to Lunch and he replied he just forgot about her..

Its amazing that he's actually able to make a parody to DB after all these years with his memory.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:15 pm

Toriyama-sama probably has all the Daizenshuu's and a stack of Manga's to refer to. :wink:
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:45 pm

I cant wait til the day Oda becomes a old man and starts forgetting what all the devil fruits do :)

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:46 pm

"Gumgum? That's when, uh, an old toothless man eats apples. He gumgums them. Chopchop? That's when... uh... you want some fruit really fast. Immediately. You know, gimme the fruit, chop-chop!"

Hee.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:48 pm

I don't think Toriyama's age has anything to do with it. He was in his 30s when he was doing DragonBall, wasn't he? And he managed to forget facts in that while he was doing it.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:48 pm

That is too freaking great. Toriyama rocks.

Actually if you read the interview included in the new Son Goku Animation Guide, he states that for doing the covers, yes, he did go back through the manga and was in fact surprised by his own plots.