OK, so why did Freeza change into his 4th form?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jordy

OK, so why did Freeza change into his 4th form?

Post by Jordy » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:21 pm

In the battle against Vegeta, Gohan, Krillin and Piccolo, why did Freeza morph into his 4th form? It doesn't make sense to me as he's already stronger than any of the Z-fighters in his 3rd form.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:33 pm

He wanted to show them his true power. Same reason he powered up to 100% against Goku. Goku wanted to fight him at his fullest so he knew it was a worthy fight

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:12 pm

I always figured it was one of three tings.

1) His 3rd form was so odd in design that it was harder for him to use it than his other forms. I mean, look at the thing! (This also translates to Toriyama-sama not wanting to draw it anymore. :P )

2) He was just that damn afraid of Vegeta and possibly, Gohan too.

3) Both of the above.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:55 pm

I think that Toriyama probably had the fourth form idea before he'd finished with the third. The whole point of the third, as far as I can see, is to set up the massive contrast between that and his final.

The transformations always show Freeza getting bigger, right up until that final one, which is relatively small. It's much more shocking to go from "Alien Queen" type monster to his final form that it would have been to go from his first to his final.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:37 pm

Plus he already said in his second form that he could transform TWO more times when still in his second stage. To have him killed off in his third form would have pissed off a shitload of fans.

Personally I would have preferred to have seen Vegeta (post-Dende healing) beat the shit out of third form Freeza, then let his arrogance be the excuse for Freeza transforming the last time.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:25 pm

I thought it was because Freeza was nearly killed by Gohans massive Masenko, where he was pushed to the ground and almost overwhelmed. He wasn't going to risk Gohan trying that again.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:58 pm

That happened when he was in his second form though.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:47 pm

Yeah, but aside from knocking Freeza down and blasting him, he didn't actually do any damage. I think the next time Gohan was even more pissed, letting him reach deeper into his hidden powers.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:05 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:That happened when he was in his second form though.
He's referring to the BIIIIIG ki blast that Freeza pushed back at Gohan that the 00ber wounded Piccolo had to deflect for him.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:19 pm

Oh. :oops:
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:59 pm

Don't be emmbarrased, I misunderstood your comment too. :lol:

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:11 pm

Mabey Susheia forced Toriyama to. I read somewhere that he had no choice to give Cell a third form when he wanted to make his second form the final.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:15 pm

Except the whole 'I've got two more forms' thing hapened fairly early on. Though didn't Freeza say, while in his second form, (at least in the dub, and at least once) that he had three more forms? That was probably a miss translation, but I think I remember that. Of course, this is the same Saga, same translaters, that said Freeza was only using 1% of his power at the start of the SSJ Goku / Freeza fight. :?
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Good point.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:24 pm

I don't blame him, really. Cell's second form is pretty ugly.

But in any case, it doesn't make much sense with regards to the story. Cell still had to absorb #17. He said himself that he wouldn't be "complete" or "perfect" with her. And any character with multiple transformations must use them all before dying. It's a DragonBall law.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:34 pm

Or even get new ones along the way. :D
<Xyex> Good point.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:25 pm

PsyLiam wrote:It's a DragonBall law.
It's also the anime law! Comon Toguaro! Let's see what much more meaty you look at 80% compared to 50%!

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:15 pm

You know how Vegeta got stronger after having Krillin blast a whole through him? I think he might have been able to beat Frieza in his third form.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:59 pm

I don't. Freeza's third form was supposed to have a PL of around 3,000,000. We KNOW that Goku fought Freeza's 4th form in 3,000,000 (kaioken x10) once the fight started. How could Goku last so long when Vegeta got creamed? Simple: he was weaker. That's why Piccolo said he could take care of Vegeta but not Freeza's third form: if Vegeta somehow won, he'd be half-passed dead by that point.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:20 pm

Dayspring wrote:I don't. Freeza's third form was supposed to have a PL of around 3,000,000. We KNOW that Goku fought Freeza's 4th form in 3,000,000 (kaioken x10) once the fight started. How could Goku last so long when Vegeta got creamed? Simple: he was weaker. That's why Piccolo said he could take care of Vegeta but not Freeza's third form: if Vegeta somehow won, he'd be half-passed dead by that point.
Actually, Goku was using Kaio Ken x20 against Freeza. That's 6,000,000.

But you're still right about Vegeta, he was weaker than Goku's Kaio Ken max. I'm pretty sure Frieza had only been using 4,000,000 of his power when he fought against Vegeta though, at least at first.
<Xyex> Good point.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:34 pm

Xyex wrote:
Dayspring wrote:
Actually, Goku was using Kaio Ken x20 against Freeza. That's 6,000,000.

But you're still right about Vegeta, he was weaker than Goku's Kaio Ken max. I'm pretty sure Freeza had only been using 4,000,000 of his power when he fought against Vegeta though, at least at first.
That's like halfway in the fight since he hadn't mastered kaioken that far. He said so himself when he first uses kaioken x20. We know he mastered kaioken up to 10 since he said it about 5 times from once he finished training under 10g.

I figured that ssince his base PL was 300,000 only, and Freeza's first form alone was 530,000, that Goku was using kaioken x10 from the beginning of the fight. That way it's 3mil vs 4mil. At 300,000 we know for a fact that he's no match for Freeza's second form, let alone his fourth.