Thoughts on Bukuu Tougeki / Supersonic Warriors

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Thoughts on Bukuu Tougeki / Supersonic Warriors

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:50 pm

Bukuu Tougeki / Supersonic Warriors has been out in the US for about a week now so I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were.

I found it suprisingly fast paced and addicting for a GBA game. In my opinion this is the best portable DBZ game out there. I really didnt like the LOG series. If you hated the abombination that was Taiketsu, you will love this game.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:49 pm

Weird... as far as I know, it's only been out two or three days...

So... what are the alternate storylines like?
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:35 am

Well in one as Gotenks like goes into another dimension/time and fights Freazia and Cell O_o

Then there is another where Freazia and Ginyu take over Earth and battle Dr.Gero and Cell, then later fight Buu lol

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:08 pm

Then there's the part where Vegeta turns SSJ after watching Freeza kill Goku.

Anyway, I got mine last thursday at Gamestop. I thought it came out on the 22nd.

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:34 pm

Totally awesome.

Great melee system, fast paced, free movement, a good amount of extras, WONDERFUL multiplayer, simple controls, and on and on and on...

There is no greater Dragonball Z Fighting Game.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:07 pm

What more would you expect from the ppl that made Guilty Gear?

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:54 pm

I never knew Sammy had a hand in this game.

The game ain't out in the UK yet but I'll defently look into buying it. The idea of What If storylines sounds great and in my opinion is something that should have been done more in the two Budokai games.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:25 pm

Caracal wrote:I never knew Sammy had a hand in this game.
They didnt, Arc-System Works are the developers of the GG games, Sammy is the parent company/publisher of them

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:26 pm

LOVE this game. How random was Gotenks' IF story? :lol:
He went all over the place that he ended up in two other players' special editions.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:25 pm

Gotenks is the ultimate expert character, try beating Z Battle mode on Hell/Difficult settings w/ him

Also, one thing I like is how Goku can use Kaio Ken! This makes for a great one shot move w/ the Genki Dama cuz it takes away like 80%-100% of your oppenents life depending on their power level.

Also...Krillin has the Kaio Ken too O_O

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:40 pm

Izlude wrote:Gotenks is the ultimate expert character, try beating Z Battle mode on Hell/Difficult settings w/ him

Also, one thing I like is how Goku can use Kaio Ken! This makes for a great one shot move w/ the Genki Dama cuz it takes away like 80%-100% of your oppenents life depending on their power level.

Also...Krillin has the Kaio Ken too O_O
Krillin also has the Genkidama. He also has Kikoho...sort of.

I find it interesting that Gotenks can randomly "die" in battle (fusion wears off).
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:31 am

Ni~ce! Aside form brilliant gameplay and graphics, Arc System Works did a very throughout job capturing the feel of the series. Battle system, nicely written What-If's, Desperation Attacks and even overall fighting styles match (for example, #18's open palm attack form the side she used on Vegeta, Vegeta's Shougekiha from below he used on Kui, Goku's "Merry-Go-Round" from Frieza and Buu fights... you get the picture). It's obvious they tried very hard to appeal to the fans, and that counts as something, considering the T-game some company made earlier (I won't even say the name of that... that... mockery!). If only it would have better replay value, and maybe better music.

Also, here are some thoughts on translation (copied from another forum).

"You know, today I tried comparing Japanese and English version of this game and - what a shocker! - the translation is actually decent! I opened two VBA windows (yeah, so sue me, I live in Poland, I don't have the money to but a GBA, import this game etc.), and played both versions. Story Mode translation was very faithful, "darn it" and "No-Son Goku" aside (well, I guess the FUNimation guys tried to be consistent). No "Can Goku come out and play", no baseball puns from Trunks, not even "Whatever turns you on, big boy"! There were some mistakes though:

- Suffixes are often omitted. Ginyu's "Master Frieza" is still there, but Trunks' "Goku-san" is simply "Goku", not "Mr Goku".
- Somebody already pointed that these "Ku", "Fufufu" etc. thingies can leave an average fan puzzled. I mean, I know they tried to be faithful, but this is a bit of an overkill.
- The in-battle quotes censorship can be pretty frustrating.
Vegeta: KUSOTARE! (Crap!) -> Darn it!
#20: Shimatta! (Damn it!) -> Why?
Gotenks: Kuso! (Damn!) -> That hurt! (Which is kinda sloppy, because they also say this when they separate. "Diffusion" didn't look painful in the series.)
#16: Hell's Flash! -> Blasters Fire! (Oh, come on!)

Okay, Story Mode is fine and dandy, but then I wanted to check after-battle quotes, and... WTF?

(I don't know that much Japanese, so my translations can be pretty sloppy.)
Ginyu defeats Gohan.
Japanese version: "You are to be executed by the order of Furiza-sama, shrimp!"
English version: "You're clueless, kid. Frieza wants you gone, so goodbye."
That reminds me of that "It's time for you to die" -> "It's time to say goodbye" line in the series, but whatever.

Ginyu defeats Kuririn/Krillin.
Japanese version: "You are to be executed by the order of Furiza-sama, shrimp!"
English version: "Was that a joke?"
As I said - WTF? Same thing with Vegeta...

Ginyu defeats Vegeta.
Japanese version: "Only a fool would disobey Furiza-sama!"
English version: "Idiot! No one disobeys Frieza!"

Ginyu defeats Vegeta SSJ.
Japanese version: "Only a fool would disobey Furiza-sama!"
English version: "A Super Saiyan is no match for Frieza's will."
No mistaking it! Translators actually added after-battle quotes! I don't think they differ if "Battle Power" changes, but to be sure, I fought again, this time getting a similar reading, and it was the same thing. Weird... In Ultimate Battle 22 they REMOVED the pre- and after-battle conversations, and now they write some additional ones. Well, I guess it's no big deal, as the new ones aren't bad, I just thought it was strange."
It's party time, Ginyu style!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:04 pm

I also liked how you could smash people into rocks/ground once you've completely overpowered them. How do you do it though? Sometimes I end up smacking them around over and over and it fails to send them flying into debris.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:52 pm

It's timing. You have to hit them with your 'strong' hit right before they recover.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:26 pm

You mean the dash+a? Because that's what I mean: it didn't always work.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:53 pm

Dayspring wrote:I also liked how you could smash people into rocks/ground once you've completely overpowered them. How do you do it though? Sometimes I end up smacking them around over and over and it fails to send them flying into debris.
If your oppenent is stunned, dash at them w/ a strong attack and they'll go flying usually

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:53 pm

The characters energy combos are brutal. Goku's Super Kamehameha is, wow...

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:22 am

You don't have to dash, just hit 'em with strong attacks just before they recover.
It's party time, Ginyu style!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:17 pm

Over and over though, or what? Because I hit them with strong attacks and it only works 1/4 times.

Tuxedo Kamen

Post by Tuxedo Kamen » Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:18 pm

while stunned you can do anything to them, but once their stunned mode is nearly over, you just do a normal A attack and it will send them flying, but this must be done RIGHT before the stun timer is up.