Worst Artist?

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Worst Artist?

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:21 pm

Whats the worst possible song/artist/anime that youve seen used in an amv?

Personally, I think anything with Linkin Park in it. DBZ dried it up years ago. Evanescence is slowly taking Linkin Park's place as most used artist.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:55 pm

Bah. I really disagree.

A shitty band is determined AMVwise by how well it sets the mood. The audio is half of the AMV, after all. Well, personal music opinion can alter how some people feel about it, but a great AMV is a great AMV.

You can say "this song was horrible for this AMV theme" but you can't say "this song is horrible for AMVs".

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Worst Artist?

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:32 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:Whats the worst possible song/artist/anime that youve seen used in an amv?

Personally, I think anything with Linkin Park in it. DBZ dried it up years ago. Evanescence is slowly taking Linkin Park's place as most used artist.
Why does popularity of the band make a good AMV suddenly suck major nads? I hate that elitist attitude. :x

"BAH! In my random and uncalled for opinion, Full-Metal Panic AMVs should only be done with the opening song to the X-Files!!!"
"I agree!"
"You do? Then X-Files is SO yesterday! Hey, waitasec..."
**Within the next 3 days all AMVs are made to Hillary Duff songs. The end, go to hell, have a hot dog on the way!**
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Master Chief

Re: Worst Artist?

Post by Master Chief » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:57 am

Sun_Wukong wrote:Whats the worst possible song/artist/anime that youve seen used in an amv?

Dbz drying up is a good thing. Now that the noobs have moved on to Naruto the veterans can use dbz - proj doomrider -

Also linkpark is still going strong me thinks, people are just using them with Naruto now -_-

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:43 pm

It just depends on the video.

I've seen hundreds of EVA videos done to 'Chop Suey.' Heck, I still want to make one of those. The mood of the video isn't necessarily set by the song. The song doesen't even have to fit the anime. YOU make the anime footage fit the song. Linkin Park and DBZ/Naruto is done a lot because, maybe, a lot of people want their videos to look and sound cool, and that's a cliche (just didn't want to say easy) way to do it.

And about Naruto videos on the .org: I think my 'way of the ninja' video was one of the first two up there (way back last spring). So I guess I'm the ultimate n00b. Go me!

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:53 am

I think LP is just so overused because the music is very cinematic, the bridges in particular.

Problem is, it's not paired well with the video footage. CUT ON THE BASS LINE PEOPLE! Look at the beginning of Meri's "Traces Of Insanity" AMV set to "Crawling" to see an effective skip/cut on each bass strum.
"Chrysanthemums will wither together with its leaves, lying beside the fiery eyes soaked with blood. Even then, your sublime status will never be shaken, even if only half of your limbs will remain. To increase the fascination within the drama, should the search for a new partner begin? If so, then head to the east. You will definitely meet the one who is waiting for you."

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:17 am

Ben Plante wrote:I think LP is just so overused because the music is very cinematic, the bridges in particular.

Problem is, it's not paired well with the video footage. CUT ON THE BASS LINE PEOPLE! Look at the beginning of Meri's "Traces Of Insanity" AMV set to "Crawling" to see an effective skip/cut on each bass strum.
Oohhh, you just reminded me that I wanna re-make that video with DVD footage once Mike and I finish our Dragonball DDR track. I'm soooo dying to re-make that video. I think I could do a better job in terms of timing and scene selection.

But yeah. Timing is a good thing. People tend to not take advantage of it in LP songs.

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:19 am

Tenken wrote: And about Naruto videos on the .org: I think my 'way of the ninja' video was one of the first two up there (way back last spring). So I guess I'm the ultimate n00b. Go me!
I actually went back and checked. Make that 'One of the first fifteen.' XD

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:37 pm

Oohhh, you just reminded me that I wanna re-make that video with DVD footage once Mike and I finish our Dragonball DDR track. I'm soooo dying to re-make that video. I think I could do a better job in terms of timing and scene selection.

But yeah. Timing is a good thing. People tend to not take advantage of it in LP songs.
I look forward to that. :-) It's excellent on its own, version 2 should be rockin'. Can't wait! :-D

As a side note, I always thought a nice ending to either that vid or any Trunks vid would be a bunch of quick shots of him destroying 17, 18, and Cell in his time. Like, if the video tells Future Trunks' story, that really is the end of his story.

But that's just me. :-P
"Chrysanthemums will wither together with its leaves, lying beside the fiery eyes soaked with blood. Even then, your sublime status will never be shaken, even if only half of your limbs will remain. To increase the fascination within the drama, should the search for a new partner begin? If so, then head to the east. You will definitely meet the one who is waiting for you."

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:27 pm

Just have to mention this. Ben I love your avvie! :D
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:31 pm

Thanks Amy.

Rock Lee owns. Gaara my ass, s'all about Lee.

I was so happy when... well, I had a spoiler here regarding Lee, but Zack convincd me to delete it. He was right.
Last edited by Ben Plante on Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:00 pm

Ehh. That's not really a necessary spoiler... You don't want to scare naruto fans away from the rest of the topic by making off-topic spoilers, marked or not.

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:33 pm

Edited the spoiler, Zack... although my sig if kind of a spoiler too. Should I change that?

Jersey, I know you liked my Lee Avatar, but I hope my Itachi Avatar is to your liking too. :-)

Lastly, Zack... I hope you don't think my avatar is too similar to yours. I like both ours.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:24 am

The sig: Remove the parts after "appearing to..." and it's great. I love that shot.

The av: See your intro topic, even though I don't care at all now that I'm on this page. I'm like that, changing my feelings 4 seconds after bringing them up.

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:51 am

Well, the Avy isn't really the same. Different angle, and it's animated.

Beh, whatever.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:09 am

Ben Plante wrote:
Rock Lee owns. Gaara my ass, s'all about Lee.
Totally agree with you there! Lee's such a cutie! ^_^ (cough) Back on topic. Uh, ya bad AMV's. No one wants that!
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Tofu

Post by Tofu » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:53 pm

I agree with the philosophy that no AMV can be made bad just by the song. The creator is what makes the video good or bad; one could use any piece of music in the history of humanity, and make a good AMV if one had the right skill and vision.

...Damn, I really need some MV equipment...
[b]Tofu[/b]: Is oppressed.

SuperFusion
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperFusion » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:17 pm

Zackarotto wrote:Bah. I really disagree.

A shitty band is determined AMVwise by how well it sets the mood. The audio is half of the AMV, after all. Well, personal music opinion can alter how some people feel about it, but a great AMV is a great AMV.

You can say "this song was horrible for this AMV theme" but you can't say "this song is horrible for AMVs".
Is it me, or is this guy wise beyond believe? Listen to him, he has a good head on those shoulders. :P

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:23 pm

SuperFusion wrote:
Zackarotto wrote:Bah. I really disagree.

Is it me, or is this guy wise beyond believe? Listen to him, he has a good head on those shoulders. :P
1) Don't necro. Sure a thread where the last post is only 3-weeks old is arguably not necro, but when you're quoting from an 8-week old post contained within that thread, you've necroed.

2) Zacko is anything BUT wise. :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:32 pm

Dayspring wrote:
2) Zacko is anything BUT wise. :P
He's... intelligent. I'll give him that much.

And, while I would stand up for Fusion because he's a newbie, it would've helped if he'd said something to add to the conversation. ^^;