If Funimation Started from Scratch

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

xzero
Regular

If Funimation Started from Scratch

Post by xzero » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:30 am

As we all know, without DBZ, there would be no Funimation. Some of you may say this is a good thing, others may disagree. Regardless, there have been a number of truly quality dubs coming out of their studio, including Yu Yu Hakusho, Fullmetal Alchemist, Samurai 7, and others. So my question is, what would Funimation treat DBZ like if it had just acquired the property? Let's assume that it butchered some other show years ago, but has still evolved to the point that it's at. Do you think DBZ would receive the same quality of a dub that Fullmetal Alchemist got, with an accurate script, the original music left intact (including openings and endings), and a good, consistent DVD release?

Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:29 am

No, because if FUNimation didn't already have DBZ, then they'd be bankrupt due to all of their other animes failing.

Kaboom

Re: If Funimation Started from Scratch

Post by Kaboom » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:42 am

xzero wrote:Do you think DBZ would receive the same quality of a dub that Fullmetal Alchemist got, with an accurate script, the original music left intact (including openings and endings), and a good, consistent DVD release?
If they'd just now gotten it (never mind the fact that it's an old show), then yeah, it would have gotten better treatment. What they're doing with One Piece now is a good example.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:41 am

Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi wrote:No, because if FUNimation didn't already have DBZ, then they'd be bankrupt due to all of their other animes failing.
Did you even read xzero's original post?
So my question is, what would Funimation treat DBZ like if it had just acquired the property? Let's assume that it butchered some other show years ago, but has still evolved to the point that it's at. Do you think DBZ would receive the same quality of a dub that Fullmetal Alchemist got, with an accurate script, the original music left intact (including openings and endings), and a good, consistent DVD release?
Anyway, I have to say yes. If the Funimation of today had just gotten Dragonball, we would have more accurate scripts, the original Japanese music (without "OMG! REMASTERED IN HD WIDESCREEN!!!"), the DVD release would be done in an order that actually makes sense and we wouldn't have Chris Sabat single handedly playing about half the cast.

However, all things considered, their treatment of the series has improved tremendously over the years. (Well, if you ignore Mark Menza and the 'remastering' at least.)

The whole series is out uncut and bilingual in one form or another (Well, DB 1-13 haven't got an R1 release and DB movie 1 is in limbo... But still, the show is 508 episodes long with 17 movies and 3 TV specials.), DB kept it's original Japanese music including dubbed versions of the opening and ending, while DBZ is currently being released with a dub with Japanese BGM format, despite not having a dubbed OP and ED like DB.

Yes, the script still leaves things to be desired, although they have cleaned up their mess considerably since 1999. At least Bardock isn't a scientist anymore! :P

We will probably never have a perfect ultimate dubbed version of the series like we would if Funi had treated it like their current properties. Although, at least Funi have been improving their work over the years. Just try comparing the 4Kids dub of Pokémon season 1 to Pokémon Advanced Battle or Pokémon Chronicles, or even their butchering of One Piece.

ImageImage
4Kids never would have done an edit like that in Pokémon season 1.
(Images from Dogasu's Backpack, Pocket Monsters Advanced Generation episode 127 comparison)

And uh... I'm getting kinda off topic now... However, as long as I'm off topic, I might as well mentioned that the character in those screenshots, Masamune/Morrison, was voiced by Masako Nozawa in the Japanese version and Sean Schemmel in the dub. Pretty neat, huh? :shock:

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:40 am

SaiyamanMS wrote:
ImageImage
(Images from Dogasu's Backpack, Pocket Monsters Advanced Generation episode 127 comparison)
I'm so glad 4kids lost One Piece..

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:44 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:
SaiyamanMS wrote:
ImageImage
I'm so glad 4kids lost One Piece..
Same. I'm not glad they lost Pokemon though. Veronica Taylor is Ash, just as Dan Castellanata is Homer.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:25 pm

Yeah if they got it now then Dragonball would have been great dubbed. One Piece is a great example. Even though the 4kids' dub was absolute crap and anything would have been better they are treating One Piece much much better than Dragonball has ever been treated.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:50 pm

It would have been a time paradox actually.

FUNi needed to learn from their screwups with DBZ in order to do good with their other anime dubs. Without the money that came from DBZ, they wouldn't have gotten any other anime.

If they never got DBZ, then they would have gone bankrupt selling Cyboars and Morris Bros merchandise. Most of us wouldn't be DBZ fans without FUNi's screwed up treatment of it.

Think of it like Shredder and the TMNT. Without Shredder, the TMNT wouldn't exist. So FUNi would be Shredder and we'd be the TMNT. :roll:

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:33 pm

Castor Troy wrote:It would have been a time paradox actually.

FUNi needed to learn from their screwups with DBZ in order to do good with their other anime dubs. Without the money that came from DBZ, they wouldn't have gotten any other anime.

If they never got DBZ, then they would have gone bankrupt selling Cyboars and Morris Bros merchandise. Most of us wouldn't be DBZ fans without FUNi's screwed up treatment of it.

Think of it like Shredder and the TMNT. Without Shredder, the TMNT wouldn't exist. So FUNi would be Shredder and we'd be the TMNT. :roll:
That makes two people who didn't read the first post.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Re: If Funimation Started from Scratch

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:06 pm

xzero wrote:Let's assume that it butchered some other show years ago, but has still evolved to the point that it's at.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:07 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
That makes two people who didn't read the first post.
That's okay. This was just a thought I had while watching an episode of Fullmetal Alchemist last night. I was watching a really good interaction between Ed and Al in English, but with the subtitles of the Japanese version on. The script is so incredibly accurate, Ed sounds a little older (though it worked well), and Al sounds perfect, which I'm sure has nothing to do with them actually casting a talented kid to play a kid in the show. Anyway, I was imagining what would have happened if Gohan, for instance, was played by a kid like Aaron Desmuke (sp?), and how much better the dub would have sounded had it been more accurate script-wise.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:04 pm

If Funimation hadn't gotten Dragon Ball some other company would have picked up the ball and ran with it.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:32 pm

SatoSky wrote:If Funimation hadn't gotten Dragon Ball some other company would have picked up the ball and ran with it.
Ba-Dum Pish...?

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:34 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
SatoSky wrote:If Funimation hadn't gotten Dragon Ball some other company would have picked up the ball and ran with it.
Ba-Dum Pish...?
It's not what I was going for, but if you must.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:17 am

I truley believe we would have a series on an FMA Level of acuracy to the JP Version. There's not a doubt in my mind. The only series that FUNi's put out recently that they've altered is Shin Chan, but for obvious reasons.

There's still no doubt in my mind that Sabat would be Piccolo. Possibly Vegeta too, who knows. Vic Mignogna would be Goku. Sonny Strait would still be Krillin.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:32 am

Lavender Saiyan wrote:I truley believe we would have a series on an FMA Level of acuracy to the JP Version. There's not a doubt in my mind. The only series that FUNi's put out recently that they've altered is Shin Chan, but for obvious reasons.

There's still no doubt in my mind that Sabat would be Piccolo. Possibly Vegeta too, who knows. Vic Mignogna would be Goku. Sonny Strait would still be Krillin.
I like Vic Mignogna, but I can't picture anyone else doing Goku.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:36 am

Super Sonic wrote:
Lavender Saiyan wrote:I truley believe we would have a series on an FMA Level of acuracy to the JP Version. There's not a doubt in my mind. The only series that FUNi's put out recently that they've altered is Shin Chan, but for obvious reasons.

I like Vic Mignogna, but I can't picture anyone else doing Goku.
But, in the current day Sean Schemmel no longer works with Funimation except when recording new stuff for Goku.

So if Funimation had made the same achievements with another series and everything else went as per normal upto the point where they license DB today, Schemmel would no longer be working with Funimation, which would mean that he would not be cast as Goku. Which in turn would mean that it could be entirely possible for Vic to get the role.

But to add even further, Vic would already be Edward Elric, and you can't just use the same actor for the lead role in every anime. And then there's the fact that when Goku would first be cast, he would still be a 12 year old kid. Which means that he would probably be voiced by a woman first up until at least episode 133...

gohanku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by gohanku » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:57 am

Well, it would sound good. DBZ would definately be much better if it was just made toady then the real date. Funimation would have already learned from it's mistake and become much better. But that means another botched up anime.
[quote="SSj Kaboom talking about Future Gohan in BT3"]I feel sorry for Future Gohan.

Everyone's like, "What?! What are you doing with [b][i]two[/i][/b] arms?! You tear that off right now, mister!"

Poor guy.[/quote]
Lol'ed.

Toniofalcon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Toniofalcon » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:18 am

The difference (between FUNI and 4kids) is that Funimation legitimately didn't know how to bring an anime over but they later on learned how to do it right. They don't make anime just for TV, like 4kids. Basically, 4kids doesn't give a fuck about anime. They don't even have anime on their block anymore. When they did though, anime was butchered a plenty and plenty of anime was brought over. They didn't try to get better at all.

And I also believe that the VA for Ash should have been kept. Too long in the series to just change things up.

Also, on topic, DBZ would be a LOT better if brought over at this time. Though I don't find it likely, as someone would've scooped DBZ up and it would've had the exact same fame. Except with original music.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:28 am

SaiyamanMS wrote:And then there's the fact that when Goku would first be cast, he would still be a 12 year old kid. Which means that he would probably be voiced by a woman first up until at least episode 133...
Heck, FUNi might've kept him voiced by a woman for Z, too.