Yamcha: Is he under-rated also

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Yamcha: Is he under-rated also

Post by AnzuMazaki » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:48 pm

What do you guys think about Yamcha, is he under-rated in DB fandom as much as Tullece? I see some fanarts but lots of fanfics portray him as something that he is not, they have him as the mean cheating evil freak in the VxB fanfics when he's actually a nice guy who's shy about women.

Others hate him for his race and his lack of strentgh, completely ignoring the fact that he was the main character in DB

So what do you guys think of him?.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:53 pm

To be under-rated, he'd actually have to be worth something. So no.

Suupaa Gohan 2
Regular

Post by Suupaa Gohan 2 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:57 pm

You pretty much just said it yourself. He's a main character in DB. He just becomes less of a focus in Z like a lot of other characters who were big in DB. But since he WAS a major character, just one who lost his status, no...he's hardly 'underrated' if you ask me.
Steam Name: SG2
Discord Tag: Esjitu#4064

"I came to save you thanks to a magic bean. And if you think it was easy to find that bean, you're wrong."
--'Big Green' Yajirobe

COCONUT MILK
Beyond Newbie

Post by COCONUT MILK » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:01 pm

The strongest human with hair :o I think theres not much else he could of done in dbz with out getting killed again.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:20 pm

I don't think he's do much under-rated as he is abused.
He never makes it past the first final around of the Tenkaichi Budoukai, and he gets dumped by his on-again-off-again girlfriend for the guy who indirectly had him killed.
Not to mention all the abuse he gets in B/V fanfics.

So, yeah... ^_^;;

Isn't he the one who's SPARKING profile said he was "a pretty cool guy"?
At least he had that baseball thing going for him for a while.

I like him though; I rarely ever draw/write stuff about him, but I still like him. :3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:30 pm

Yamcha was a main characterin DB and could put up a pretty good ight most of the time. In DBZ things just escalated too much for him to keep up and after he was brought back to life the first thing you see him doing is relaxing with Puer and Oolong talking about how he's glad he gets to relax and live a peaceful life now.

If anything, after a death, a near-death, and seven years of peace he realized his limits and stopped training so hard. So, he's not so much "underrated" as he is just a guy who decided to give up fighting after things got too big for him.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:33 pm

Yamcha = used and abused.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:48 pm

After the Freeza saga, everyone who isnt a Saiyan or Namek gets less and less screen/page time

Orochi_Rockman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Orochi_Rockman » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:34 am

Oh Yamcha. Yamcha, Yamcha, Yamcha.

...Yamcha sucks.

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:49 am

Yamcha sadly, takes on like the role of Mr Toriyama's guinea pig to demonstrate the strength of opponents Goku and the other stronger fighters, is about to take on - in which he's the first to get his ass pwned, killed or nearly killed.. it's been like that from Baba up to the point of the Android arc.

I'de say he (and Tullece) are more overlooked than "underrated"... and the Yamcha hating is pretty much of the stereotypical Vegeta fanatic.
...Yamcha sucks.
You must be a Vegeta/Bulma fan.. (j/k)
Just Saiyan...

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:04 am

Yamcha taking on Tamberine with a broken leg... badass.
Yamcha should open a dojo.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:41 am

caejones wrote:Yamcha taking on Tamberine with a broken leg... badass.
Yamcha should open a dojo.
Is that in the anime? If so can ou provide a clip? ;)

Orochi_Rockman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Orochi_Rockman » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:27 am

Vegeta sucks, Bulma's a whiny bitch.

:D

Prince Vegeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Prince Vegeta » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:43 am

Orochi_Rockman wrote:
Vegeta sucks, Bulma's a whiny bitch.

:D
Heyyyyyyy
I`ma tell my brother. :evil: :x
I think everybody should know that the Internet is serious business.
-Duo

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:04 am

Chuquita wrote:I like him though; I rarely ever draw/write stuff about him, but I still like him. :3
That's good, since the character you're portraying in a certain fandub project is his girlfriend. :P

Funny thing about Yamcha, while he clearly becomes underused in the manga, the anime is able to keep him somewhat interesting in what filler he appears. We get to see him team up with Tien and Chaozu against the Ginyu Force (defeating Recoome by himself), help in the final confrontation with Cell, aide in the Dragonball hunt after Vegeta's self-destruction, and even get a crack against Kid Buu with Kuririn before the final battle on Kaioshin's planet. Toriyama really did seem to forgot the poor guy, it's bad enough he gets whipped in literally every first round of something he's in (all Budokais, first battle with the Saibamen, first contact with the Androids, and of course running like a pissy pansy when Super Buu escaped the RoSaT), but the anime did give him some shining moments IMO. Seeing him in the final GT episode at the area where he first met Goku kinda gives me a warm feeling, as it shows the guys at Toei behind the anime still remembered him after all these years, one last homage that was far better than the near-non-existent background spot at the 28th Budokai he had.
Godo wrote:Is that in the anime? If so can ou provide a clip? ;)
It was in the anime, yep. Another of those moments I've referred to, it was right before Daimao ordered him to go after Goku and Yajirobe. That and the Saiyan battle in the Pendulum room are such awesome moments, even if Yamcha was on the losing end. In fact, one change that the anime made that diverges from the manga was having Yamcha completely refuse to give up in his battle with the Mummy during Baba's 5-man tournament, to the point where he almost died if not for Goku (whilst in the manga, he merely gives up in a stranglehold); I loved that!
14 years later

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:40 pm

I never found Yamcha particularly interesting in DBZ or DB. Its characters like Trunks and Goten who are never used to their full potential in the series that really disapoints me (especially since chibi Trunks is my favorite character!).

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:01 pm

I don't really care all that much for Yamcha, but I don't hate him either. DBZ has a way of slowly forgetting about it's earlier characters as time goes on. DB mainly focused on Goku alone, but it worked for it at the time, so when we did get to see the others, it was always great. But in DBZ, everyone was slowly gotten rid of.

Saiyan Saga - Everybody had their moments - of dieing anyway. :roll:
Frieza Saga - Yamcha, Tien, and Chiaotzu were all but forgotten, but they were dead, so it doesn't really become apparent that they're out for good yet.
Androids Saga - Basically if your not a Saiyan or a Namek (an Alien of some kind if you will), you aren't much help here. BUT, Krillin, Tien, and Yamcha all had their moments here at least.
Buu Saga - If you're not a Saiyan you're out. At least Piccolo and Krillin and Tien were helpful to some extent.
GT - Nothing. If you aren't Goku you are worthless. :twisted:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:12 pm

Will have to say if Toriyama hadn't turned focus from them to the Saiyans near exclusively, Yamcha and Tien had quite a bit of potential. When they died and made it to King Kai's, they were stronger than Goku was when he got there, especially as it took them less time to arrive. Also they had more training there than Goku did, so they may not have reached Super Saiyan levels of power, they should've been pretty up there. Still wish he could've had them do kaioken.

WaywardZest

Post by WaywardZest » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:13 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:But in DBZ, everyone was slowly gotten rid of.
Exactly. Except, when Vegeta comes, he stays. Hell, even Piccolo fades over time.

We hear about Vegeta all the time, when Yamcha and Tenshinhan are so much more interesting.

PerfectEnigma

Post by PerfectEnigma » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:57 am

COCONUT MILK wrote:The strongest human with hair :o
He was the strongest human with hair until Kuririn grows his hair out.
Sun_Wukong wrote:After the Freeza saga, everyone who isnt a Saiyan or Namek gets less and less screen/page time
Then, the Majin Buu Saga comes around and even Piccolo gets less screen/page time to the Saiya-jins.
SaiyaMel wrote:and the Yamcha hating is pretty much of the stereotypical Vegeta fanatic.
I am a huge Vegeta fan and Yamcha is alright in my book. I don't think I have ever seen a Vegeta fanatic hate him.