Things that you appreciate about the fandom.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Things that you appreciate about the fandom.

Post by KinoFourpaws » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:53 pm

I'm making this thread to serve as a sort of antithesis for the current fandom discontent thread, but I'm also hoping this helps to stir up more positive discussion on the board here. Perhaps this might get a few people to come out of the woodwork around here, as well.

My question to you guys is: What is it that you actually LIKE about the fandom in general or the community here? I mean, if you decided to join a place like this to discuss one of your favorite shows with other fans and stayed as long as you have (and I know there are a lot of people here who've been around for several years), there has to be something about the community in general that makes you want to stick around and be a part of it. I'm sure that if the fandom had just pure drama and discontent to offer, very few, if any, people would bother to remain involved in it.

So what I want to know is, what keeps you coming back to a place like this? Is it that, even with a lot of people acting unintelligent or immature, there is also a good number of other people with whom it's enjoyable to talk about something related to a like you have in common? Is it that you can share things you've worked on with said people who you know will very likely appreciate them? Is it that you can just learn about and socialize and be geeky with other people who like Dragonball? Is it just because the fandom amuses you in some way, whether good or not-so-good? Or is it for some other reason? Whatever it is, I'd like to hear it.

If you have to think about what it is that you actually like about the other people here and in the fandom in general, then maybe that's a good thing. It might be a bit discouraging at first, I guess, but recalling what it is that still appeals to you about this whole group might be a good reminder about what you got into this fandom for. I'm guessing that, for some people, their initial or continuing inclusion among the other fans here results from just an intense-enough like of the series itself and not from any sort of influence that communicating with other fans has given them; if that's the case for you, that's okay, and you can mention that that's where you're coming from. I'm not going to make a big deal about it if you find that interaction with other people here in general isn't enough to keep you here. ^^;

About my only stipulation for this thread is that I would like for it to remain positive in tone for however long it lasts. It's fine if you want to mention a few things you're not so happy about, but I really don't want this to turn into another centrally-negative or even hostile thread; we've already had plenty of those for a while, I think. ;)

To get things started, I'll mention some of the things I like about the fandom. For one, getting into it has allowed me to meet some pretty great new people, on the internet and in real life, that I don't think I'd've ever encountered otherwise. I'm pretty reclusive, in all honesty, so I don't make friends too quickly or easily; getting to know other people who share my like for things like Dragonball opens up the lines of communication for me somewhat. At the same time, I can safely say I've grown a little bit by seeing these other people's different perspectives on things, be them Dragonball-related or not, so while I can't say I can agree with everything they might have to say, I can at least understand where they're coming from, so I can keep a relatively open mind. For another thing, I like how I've been able to work with other fans on random Dragonball-related things like the long-enduring fandub project (yeah, it has its ups and downs, but overall I can't say I don't like working on it), seeing and sharing other things we've worked on or enjoyed, and finding out about other things that they're interested in that I'm into. And, it's always interesting to see what other people have to say about things like news, speculations, etc. related to the series and the franchise, even if it does get a little turbulent at times. I've both had some enlightening moments and gotten a few laughs out of some of the things I've read.

They may be fairly general, but those are some of the things that I enjoy about the fandom. What about you guys?
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:53 pm

Well, probably the most basic thing that I appreciate about this fan community is the ability to discuss Dragon Ball at all. I don’t really have any friends who like Dragon Ball, so this place is pretty much my only chance to talk about one of my favorite series. While this place isn’t free of pointless bickering, repetitive “who would win?” arguments, and other annoying things (which seem to be worse than usual at the moment), there have still been plenty of interesting discussion and I’ve managed to learn a lot about the series and all sorts of other random things here. This forum is filled with intelligent, articulate Dragon Ball fans, and really is one of the best forums that I know of.

A lot of that has to do with VegettoEX’s strict rules about spelling, grammar, and whatnot. While he may seem rather harse at times, I appreciate the effect this has on the forums. I’m a big (but relatively recent) One Piece fan, but while I rely on Arlong Park for One Piece news, I simply can’t stand their forum. While there are a lot of smart people there, just as there are here, the place is so full of enormous ugly avatars, pointlessly long signatures that often contain “humorous” images, and posts that are practically unreadable that it just makes my head hurt to look at it all. OK, so that was rather negative for what’s supposed to be a positive thread, but my point is that I really appreciate how comparatively tasteful this forum is.

Anyway, while some of the recent controversies about things like the Season Sets and the live-action movie have brought out the more negative side of the this place, I think on the whole this forum remains far and away the best Dragon Ball fan community on the internet (at least the English portion of it; maybe there are all these kick-ass French Dragon Ball forums that I’m unaware of…).

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:43 pm

I like the ability to discuss Dragonball in an intelligent manner. Even when things are pissing me off, at least there's some intelligence behind what's pissing me off on here.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:52 am

First off, I'm glad the internet hasn't given us a collective nickname just for being fans. @_@

Second, I like talking with people about the series. I've made friends from so many places over the course of the sites I visit and have visited and I'm thankful for all of them. :3

And (while I may be in the minority on this board) I love seeing fanart and reading others' fanfiction. Back when ff.net was in its heyday, I would visit there every day; I'd read work and review it and (I still do, only on DA) write my own work. And while I've never been to a con, I've watched panels from cons on YouTube before.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:11 am

Well, I'll go ahead and agree with everyone else. It's really awesome to discuss, or read over discussion about Dragon Ball. I have a few friends that'll tolerate my ramblings at school, and even a few dub-fans that'll sometimes talk with me, but it's nothing like this community.
Actually, I think that's why I love the podcast so much.

One thing that I've also noticed is, that for the most part, everyone has a pretty good toleration of everyone else's niche in the fandom. I've rarely seen a large group of Japanese fans berating a dub fan for no particular reason, and vice versa. I might be missing something, of course, as I don't really post much, but, that's how it appears to me.

Oh... And how we aren't all "LOLZ NARUTO SUCKS FWAHA!" all the time. That's pretty cool, too.
[quote="Kunzait_83, on FUNimation's dub of [i]Dragon Ball Z[/i]"]"ACTION!!! EXTREME!!! AMERICAN!!!! PUNCHES TO THE HEAD!!! FUCK YEAH!!!"[/quote]
On [url=http://twitter.com/joey_blanton]my Twitter[/url], postin' some mad tweets.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:38 am

Daizex. It is the light in the darkness.

Freeza93
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza93 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:15 am

I agree with everyone. I have no friends who like dragonball (or any anime) so this forum is one the best things about fandom. You get to talk about the best thing ever without all the "Oh my god, you like dragonball, HAHAHAHAHA!"
I finally bought a gamecube. To bad they don't make any games for it now.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:29 pm

Freeza93 wrote:I agree with everyone. I have no friends who like dragonball (or any anime) so this forum is one the best things about fandom. You get to talk about the best thing ever without all the "Oh my god, you like dragonball, HAHAHAHAHA!"
I was introduced to DB through my friends...

I think other companies learned from Funi's handiling of DB in the US. Before Toonami, anime was still a cult thing. I honestly think DB's marketing in the US helped bring anime mainstream.

Now anime isnt as looked down upon as it used to be 10 years ago, hell even 5 years ago.

I dont have to be embarassed to wear anime t-shirts around college

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:34 pm

I love the community, and the fact that there are still fans out there even though the series is quite old. I also like the fact that there are a lot of characters, each with their own lives and issues and thus I love creating fanart and fanfiction for them.

Anyway, DragonBall has been my biggest hobby these past 7-8 years, and I'm truly greatful. :)

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:50 pm

The reason that I like the fandom is because there's actually a place to talk about Dragonball and that there are intelligent people here to talk with. I don't have friends who like Dragonball, or even know what it is, so this is one of the only places I can come to and talk with people who like my favorite Anime. :D
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:22 pm

This board made me realize how annoying DBZ fans are.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:32 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:This board made me realize how annoying DBZ fans are.
I think you've mixed up your threads. See, this is the thread for positive aspects of the fandom. For all posts concerning negative aspects proceed to and post your grievances here:
http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=7207

Hopefully I've cleared up that confusion for you. :P
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:50 pm

I like the loyalty to Dragonball that our fanbase has.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:41 pm

I appreciate the Daizex forums and most of the people on it. In fact Daizex and the podcast along with a lot of the fans on this forum have taught me many things I didn't know. In fact thanks to this little community I'm still constantly learning things about Dragonball/Z/GT despite being a fan of the show for at least 4 or 5 years.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:54 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:This board made me realize how annoying DBZ fans are.
Dude, all anime fans are annoying..

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:20 am

The biggest thing I appreciate about the fan community, is the number of people who are willing to share. There always seems to be at least one fan on any board who is more then willing to go out of their way to post a scan request; or youtube a video clip, if someone really needs it. Of course, those who take that to the extreme (outright piracy) are pretty overly-abundant in the community as well...but really, is this such a bad thing? Don't answer that.

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:38 pm

I think, like most people, I appreciate that there is a place where I can discuss my fandom with others. While I can talk day and night (and do, quite often) with my boyfriend about it, he's only as versed in DB things as I am (seeing as he learns from me...).

I love that after years and years of loving DB, I still constantly learn new things about it. I'm always finding out small details that I wouldn't have known without the help of communities like this.

I think I just like submersing myself around people who like Dragon Ball as much, if not maybe more, than I do. I may not post all the time, but I read every thread and just absorb everything (even mindless arguing!)

I love reading threads. I love reading [well-written] fanfics, no matter what the subject. I love that there's a place to do these things. I love that years after the show and book have ended, there's still such a dedicated fanbase.

I'm just a lover of all things DB. And I take the bad with the good when it comes to the fanbase.

:P
Aly. Professional nerd. [url=http://vegetas.livejournal.com]vegetas@livejournal[/url]

DB Cosplay 2009: The Great Saiyaman

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:53 pm

Heh, I don't at all appreciate that "there's still places I can talk about Dragonball." From the moment I first logged on the internet, it became very obvious to me, that no matter what I was interested in, I could find at least half a dozen different groups of people to discuss it with. There's still active forums out there to discuss old games like Star Flight, so I'd have to say I take this extremly for granted. There will never be a lack of fans to discuss Dragonball.

Alice
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Alice » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:05 am

I feel this strange kind of loyalty to Dragonball, I started watching it when I was a little kid and the original DB (not Z) dub was first playing. Years later, I still check the news at DaizEX and save up to buy DVDs and finish my manga collection. It's nice to know there are others who would understand feeling loyalty to a comic/tv show. I like lurking around here, I can always find some interesting or well thought out point. I'd bet there's some fans here who know more about Dragonball then Akira Toriyama himself does.

And I think it's incredible that DaizEX has been around for 10 years and is still alive and well. Nothing on the internet lasts 10 years.
[size=75]"If television's a babysitter, the internet's a drunk librarian who won't shut up."[/size]

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:39 am

Alice wrote:I feel this strange kind of loyalty to Dragonball, I started watching it when I was a little kid and the original DB (not Z) dub was first playing. Years later, I still check the news at DaizEX and save up to buy DVDs and finish my manga collection. It's nice to know there are others who would understand feeling loyalty to a comic/tv show. I like lurking around here, I can always find some interesting or well thought out point. I'd bet there's some fans here who know more about Dragonball then Akira Toriyama himself does.

And I think it's incredible that DaizEX has been around for 10 years and is still alive and well. Nothing on the internet lasts 10 years.
I have been loyal for DB for eight years, and I am proud of DaizEX for making it this long too.