What...The? (JP Goku)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

What...The? (JP Goku)

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:01 pm

OK, I'm in the midst of watching through the Freeza Saga in Japanese...When I did it before I skipped over the part where he becomes an SSJ simply because I'd seen it before in English. But I just now watched it and it was very odd...Right before Goku makes the final burst he's making this angry sound. Typical awesome sounding Nozawa voice.

But then, he opens his mouth to scream and at first there's no voice. Then there's this very very deep manly scream. What's the deal with that? Was that Nozawa?
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:08 pm

I believe it was Nozawa, but the recording studio played around and lowered it. I guess they figured it would sound more in the vein of the primeval nature of the Saiyajins. It's odd they never did it again.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Re: What...The? (JP Goku)

Post by Rocketman » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:29 pm

I thought it sounded more like a bark than a scream.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:42 pm

Rocketman wrote:I thought it sounded more like a bark than a scream.
Eh, perhaps. Then again, I thought Schemmel sounded like someone had his balls in a vice.

-Corey

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:39 pm

Yeah I noticed that, too, the first time I saw that episode.

I'm guessing they just messed around with the audio.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:12 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Eh, perhaps. Then again, I thought Schemmel sounded like someone had his balls in a vice.

-Corey
Barring orgasmic moans, I have little problem with whatever noise someone makes when unleashing an unstoppable shit-wrecking legendary horror. :P

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:50 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:

-Corey
Oh come now, atleast Schemmel's scream sounded better then whatever the hell we got in the JP version. I'm serious here, I just cannot fathom the concept behind that.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:32 am

Lavender Saiyan wrote: Oh come now, atleast Schemmel's scream sounded better then whatever the hell we got in the JP version. I'm serious here, I just cannot fathom the concept behind that.
I personally would have preferred one of Mrs. Nozawa's blood curdling screams, to end the transformation, but I can see what they were going for, it's similar to the Oozaru roar except they pitch down Nozawa's voice.

I believe it's changed in the episode recap in the next episode, I'd check but I can't be bothered going downstairs and getting my dvd's out..

Anyway I'm with MajinVejitaXV on this one, Schemmel's final scream sounds much more like he's in physical pain, then a bellow of rage.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:34 am

Captain Awesome wrote:
Lavender Saiyan wrote: Oh come now, atleast Schemmel's scream sounded better then whatever the hell we got in the JP version. I'm serious here, I just cannot fathom the concept behind that.
I personally would have preferred one of Mrs. Nozawa's blood curdling screams, to end the transformation, but I can see what they were going for, it's similar to the Oozaru roar except they pitch down Nozawa's voice.

I believe it's changed in the episode recap in the next episode, I'd check but I can't be bothered going downstairs and getting my dvd's out..

Anyway I'm with MajinVejitaXV on this one, Schemmel's final scream sounds much more like he's in physical pain, then a bellow of rage.

I agree with that, but it was very exceptional screaming for an early Sean who showed little to no emotion in his voice for most of the season.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:30 pm

I read somewhere that the VA for Commander Ginyu did Goku's scream when he went SSJ. There was no source though, so it might not be true.
­

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:21 pm

I think Mike mentioned it in one of his podcasts once that it was someone else doing the voice for Goku cause Nozawa couldn't reach that low. The VA for Captain Ginyu might have been the one to do it, I don't know, but I'm sure it wasn't Nozawa.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:31 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:I agree with that, but it was very exceptional screaming for an early Sean who showed little to no emotion in his voice for most of the season.
They should had him redub that scream, at least. :)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:35 pm

worldmonsters wrote:I think Mike mentioned it in one of his podcasts once that it was someone else doing the voice for Goku cause Nozawa couldn't reach that low. The VA for Captain Ginyu might have been the one to do it, I don't know, but I'm sure it wasn't Nozawa.
I have never said anything like this. It may be true, but I've never said it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:38 am

Lavender Saiyan wrote:Oh come now, atleast Schemmel's scream sounded better then whatever the hell we got in the JP version. I'm serious here, I just cannot fathom the concept behind that.
You're kidding right? I always felt that Goku's primal scream of rage when he first became Super Saiyan in the original TV anime was among the coolest things in the entire fictions.

DemonKingPiccolo
Beyond Newbie

Post by DemonKingPiccolo » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:50 am

I don't know if anyone who has read the manga has noticed, but before Goku masters Super Saiyan, the speech balloons change shape when he transforms: in his regular form they're all fluffy and innocent-looking, and after he transforms, his speech balloons have straight edges and "corners". This was most likely supposed to imply a more "manly" or maybe even menacing voice. If you notice further, Vegeta and Piccolo's regular speech balloons are like this, and we all know that both of them were evil at one point. Most of the villians also have this styled speech balloon.

This could be relevent to that odd scream in that episode. Perhaps the change in voice could've been an experiment for an adjusting voice for Goku?
"There's a hole in the world like a great black pit
And it's filled with people who are filled with shit
And the vermin of the world inhabit it."
~Sweeney Todd

Kenshi

Post by Kenshi » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:05 am

DemonKingPiccolo wrote:I don't know if anyone who has read the manga has noticed, but before Goku masters Super Saiyan, the speech balloons in the manga change shape when he transforms: in his regular form they're all fluffy and have curved edges, and after he transforms, his speech balloons have straight edges and "corners". This was most likely supposed to imply a more "manly" or maybe even menacing voice. If you notice further, Vegeta and Piccolo's regular speech balloons are like this, and we all know that both of them were evil at one point. Most of the villians also have this styled speech balloon.

This could be relevent to that odd scream in that episode.
I doubt Toei was looking that much into it if they've plausibly proven that all they want off the franchise is more and more off the cash cowz, which they've proven by not even able to do so much as count properly and learn to comprehend what a Super Saiyajin Two is, or even bother to do so much as write a proper script that doesn't look like it came out of the freshly excreted piece of crap that only an inbred toddler with FAS could conjure up, which is pretty much becoming a fact with the sheer crappiness of the movies, fillers(well, most of 'em. I guess the one added to the SS2 Beam Struggle and stuff ain't THAT bad), and GT, which looks like the further extreme taken to its possible limits of all the faults I've pointed out above. Even that one shitty movie by Disney(actually, ALL of them), "the Incrediblez," "Antz," "Hercules(wtf@the Hades-antagonizing and Hera-being-his-nonillegitimate mother)," amongst others(though the frame-per-second rate and the overall quality of the animation is rather decent for its day for some of the classics, unlike any of the limited-animation-infested pieces of crap that are DBZ movies).

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:14 pm

"Antz" was done by Dreamworks, not Disney. And most people love "The Incredibles". And the Hercules change is one of many they've been doing for years. Look at the Mowgli stories. Shere Kahn isn't as powerful or feared there like he is in "Jungle Book". And Kipling's widow wasn't too happy about their changing the pronounciation of Mowgli's name.