Dragon Ball/Z references in Fairly OddParents TV movie

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

Dragon Ball/Z references in Fairly OddParents TV movie

Post by John Pannozzi » Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:10 pm

In the recent Fairly OddParents TV movie "Channel Chasers", they satirize Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z with kids becoming obsessed with a Japanese show called 'Maho Mushi' which is a parody of basicially every Japanese show ever made (Kamen Rider, Kaiju Booska, etc.), but mostl;y is based on Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. In the end, Timmy, Cosmo, Wanda and Vicky end up in Maho Mushi, where everyone is drawn Toriyama-style. They're in an arena that doesn't look like the World's Greatest Tournament ring, but the announcer is a parody of the World's Greatest Tournament announcer. Timmy looks like Kuririn, Vicky looks like Piccolo Ma Junior, and they battle similar to the final battle in the original DB.

Images are available at http://www.angelfire.com/anime5/sampo/F ... arents.htm

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:33 pm

:lol:

Funny stuff, no doubt that's a DBZ parody. I liked the look on Cosmo's face when he fired Ki blasts into the stands.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:57 pm

Hahahaha...that is the best ever, too bad I missed it :(

Fairly Oddparent is the only good Nick Toon that is still alive.

MajinTrunkz

Post by MajinTrunkz » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:54 pm

At first I thought that was just a stereotypical anime parody, but then Vicky showed up wearing clothes eerily similar to Ma Junior's. And now that you mention it, the art style very closely resembles Toriyama's style.

Channel Chasers was a great movie. Along with the DB parody, the Speed Racer parody was also hilarious.
My signature pwns you all.

Yeah, I do know it sucks.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:00 pm

That's great! XD I love the Speed Racer parody too!
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Son ChiChi

Post by Son ChiChi » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:24 pm

I saw that Saturday! It was hilarious. I had a feeling they would spoof DBZ since they spoofed a lot of other cartoons like Tom and Jerry, The Simpsons, The Flintstones and even themselves a little bit when Timmy was on the credit roll. DBZ had been spoofed before on Cartoon Network. My little cousin told me Kids Next Door spoofed Goku vs Frieza and that Billy and Mandy spoofed Goku and the dragonballs. I think the girl Mandy turned into a Super Saiyan.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:51 pm

The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy's Chicken Ball Z was great too

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:16 am

Why is it all of the DBZ parodies are on shows I've never heard of? :(

EDIT: Ooh... a TMNT parody... fun!
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

SpiritBomb
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SpiritBomb » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:12 pm

I'm mad that I never saw that! I love Fairly Odd Parents! The Simpsons spoof looks funny too.
Some day, you'll be wishing for today.

http://gogocookiedough.blogspot.com/

spikemcruffy
Beyond Newbie

Post by spikemcruffy » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:07 am

j
Last edited by spikemcruffy on Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:21 am

The Powerpuff Girls did a fairly subtle but convincing DBZ parody in "Stuck up, up and away". The bad guy (Princess) kept getting stronger and stronger/changing forms (because she was buying new stuff), and the fight sequence at the end had stair downs, bits where people were punching each other using the same piece of animation repeated, a part where the characters were moving too fast too see, and Blossom dodging an energy attack by slightly tilting her head (which Goku did during the Saiyan saga, I believe).

Ultimate Muscle has done a few things that could be considered DBZ parodies (and year, I know that Kinnikuman predates DBZ, but the new stuff does come after). One that comes to mind was Kid Muscle getting really annoyed at what was happening in the ring. He started to get a ki-halo-glow thingie, and got more and more annoyed (in a "I'm just about to turn Super Saiyan" sort of way). Except that at the dramatic moment, he farted. And everyone fell over in that way that they do.

If you want a good anime parody though, the Dexter's Lab speed racer one is hard to beat.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]