Live-Action Dragonball Film Wraps Shooting in Mexico?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Live-Action Dragonball Film Wraps Shooting in Mexico?

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:37 am

I happened to catch this little article in the list of ANN's "Daily Brief" listings.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -in-mexico

On another note, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" reunion sounds awesome.8)
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:44 am

I just saw a "might be" screenshot from it.
I'm a little scared.

School uniforms....
Admittedly, nice choice in uniform colors, but still! :shock:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:56 am

Chuquita wrote:I just saw a "might be" screenshot from it.
I'm a little scared.
Yes, we do finally have our first screenshot, though it's nothing particularly groundbreaking. Here we go...

Everybody's favorite new additions to the DragonBall family, Teto and Emi!

I like the setting and all... looks like they're studying that eclipse that Piccolo's supposed to have something to do with.

At first glance, I started geeking out thinking that was a Capsule Corp. logo on Teto's jacket... doesn't look like it now, though.
School uniforms....
Admittedly, nice choice in uniform colors, but still! :shock:
Doesn't look like any kind of uniform...

Anyway, hopefully this will be just the first in a nice string of forthcoming official images. We're finally starting to get something other than shnitzy cell phone camera pics with which to judge the visual feel of this movie.

Emi's kinda creeping me out...
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:00 am

I eagerly await the purist-rush to bitch about them adding a black person to the major cast.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:15 am

Rocketman wrote:I eagerly await the purist-rush to bitch about them adding a black person to the major cast.
What? You mean that's not Mr Popo?! :shock: :P
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:33 am

I don't mind having movie OC's. I do still miss Kuririn though; I wish there was a way to have both. I mean, he's the one who causes Goku to go ssj. Without him, who will defend Juuhachigou after Cell's defeated?

Isn't Uubu African American?
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:35 am

Chuquita wrote:Isn't Uubu African American?
No, since there is no America.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:39 am

Chuquita wrote:I don't mind having movie OC's. I do still miss Kuririn though; I wish there was a way to have both. I mean, he's the one who causes Goku to go ssj. Without him, who will defend Juuhachigou after Cell's defeated?
Just because Kuririn's not in this movie doesn't mean he's not gonna be in any future ones.

Isn't Uub African American?
I'm pretty sure it was said Uub came from a tropical island.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:56 am

Ah, ok.
Well, if this movie turns out to be good, I hope we do get to see Kuririn in a future one (even if he has a nose, as long as he's still bald).
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:10 am

Ew to unnecessary character additions.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:37 am

Who knows, maybe they'll kill them for dramatic effect to unlock Goku's potential :twisted:

Hell, doing that would be a good excuse to hunt for Dragon Balls all over the world...maybe. But one has to hope there's something redeeming about the movie. :wink:
-Laserkid

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:41 am

Rocketman wrote:I eagerly await the purist-rush to bitch about them adding a black person to the major cast.
Yeah, like this doesn't reek of Dragon Ball meets Degrassi. :roll:

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:47 am

Last time on Dragossi:

Chichi: My god I totally think Goku's cheating on me!

Bulma: Well, I don't know I think he's too stupid to do that. It takes smarts like me to do two boyfriends in Vegeta and Yamcha!

Yamcha: Oh is that so Bulma well you and I are THROUGH now girl!

Bulma: Wait I was like totally kidding!

Goku: Aha! So all of you HAVE been cheating on your math tests after all! I'm telling!

(Sorry that metaphor was too much for me to not do something with).
-Laserkid

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:40 am

So, it probably won't be long for the trailer to come out right?
I kind of don't know what to think of that (possible) screencap... :shock:

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:44 pm

I still don't get why it has to be Goku who has to be the center of this high school stuff, when it by all rights ought to be Bulma. :?

Don't get me wrong, I don't consider myself a "hater" (god what a lame-ass term, I mean can we get any more middle school?) of this movie, as there are numerous things about it that have actually impressed the hell out of me and make me somewhat look forward to it (which should illustrate how little I expected of this thing in the first place). Goku as a high school teen though is certainly not one of them.

It's all the more unnecessary considering that Bulma at the beginning of the series started out as a high school chick. If it's that damn demographically necessary to begin the movie in a high school setting, why not start the movie following Bulma from high school and average "city life" to backwoods mountains where she's supposed to meet Goku?

There's so many different and much more logical ways that this story element could've been implemented without bastardizing Goku's entire character background.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:50 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:If it's that damn demographically necessary to begin the movie in a high school setting, why not start the movie following Bulma from high school and average "city life" to backwoods mountains where she's supposed to meet Goku?
That's Goku at 12. The movie starts with Goku at 17 or so.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:01 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Kunzait_83 wrote:If it's that damn demographically necessary to begin the movie in a high school setting, why not start the movie following Bulma from high school and average "city life" to backwoods mountains where she's supposed to meet Goku?
That's Goku at 12. The movie starts with Goku at 17 or so.
That's not the point though. This movie is supposed to depict Goku's first meeting of Bulma. So even if we bump Goku's age up for the starting point... why can't he still be a slow witted "mountain man" who's cut off from society as a whole until he meets the spoiled blue haired city chick? It's not like the whole "fish out of water" country boy joke is completely foreign or anything. It's just... so integral to Goku's character. The whole crux of his character during his first meeting of Bulma (and throughout the large majority of the series) is that he doesn't know jack shit about civilization.

Let's not let anyone kid themselves; the whole reason they're tacking on this whole high school subplot in the first place is in an attempt to "appeal" to the "teen demographic". My point is why shoehorn it onto a character whom it couldn't possibly fit any less, when there's a MUCH better candidate? Don't get me wrong; I'm plenty open to "adjustments" to an adaptation (after all, some form of change is part of the whole definition of adapting something), but only if the change is absolutely necessary. If there's an alternative that can get the story across without fucking with something vital as much, why pass it up?
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:17 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:That's not the point though. This movie is supposed to depict Goku's first meeting of Bulma. So even if we bump Goku's age up for the starting point... why can't he still be a slow witted "mountain man" who's cut off from society as a whole until he meets the spoiled blue haired city chick?
Too many people have seen Deliverance.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:23 pm

If you must dwell on the school aspect of it (doesn't help that that's been such a large aspect of the official news so far), just think of Goku in this movie as more like Gohan in school during the Buu saga. Minus the brains. I'm sure it'll end up being a lot more similar to that.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:24 pm

Why am I suddenly stoked on Teto? Maybe I just dig his hair and awesome smile. The classroom looks very Dragonballish too in my opinion.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight