2nd form Cell

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

2nd form Cell

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Thu May 01, 2008 7:34 pm

Do you think that Cell would have looked different if he had absorbed 18 first as opposed to 17? Personally I think he would have taken a different appearence.
Last edited by Zuhalter2000 on Thu May 01, 2008 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu May 01, 2008 7:46 pm

I was actually wondering the same thing.

My theory would be that he would take a slender smaller form, so that upon absorbing 17, and becoming Perfect, it would actually be an increase in size.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Thu May 01, 2008 9:36 pm

I'm pretty sure he would have looked the same.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri May 02, 2008 12:46 am

I don't think he could have absorbed 18 first. If you'll notice, he went straight for 17 when he could have gone for 18 instead. I think he probably had to absorb them in order. And even if he hadn't I doubt there would be any difference in appearance. 17 and 18 are about the same build, only difference is gender, so he likely would have come out the same. Except maybe with breasts. >>
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Thu May 15, 2008 7:22 pm

Xyex wrote:I don't think he could have absorbed 18 first. If you'll notice, he went straight for 17 when he could have gone for 18 instead. I think he probably had to absorb them in order.
Good point; I didn't think of that.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Thu May 29, 2008 3:53 am

Xyex wrote:I don't think he could have absorbed 18 first. If you'll notice, he went straight for 17 when he could have gone for 18 instead. I think he probably had to absorb them in order. And even if he hadn't I doubt there would be any difference in appearance. 17 and 18 are about the same build, only difference is gender, so he likely would have come out the same. Except maybe with breasts. >>
His going for Juunanagou instead of Juuhachigou could easily be explained by the fact that Juunanagou offered an easier target, since he was obviously damaged to some slight degree from his earlier fight, not to mention he was also somewhat isolated from the others, while Juuhachigou was almost right beside Juurokugou the entire time until he decided to step in.

ETC123
Banned

Post by ETC123 » Thu May 29, 2008 5:18 am

Darkprince410 wrote:Juunanagou Juuhachigou Juunanagou Juuhachigou Juurokugou
Oh please dont.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Thu May 29, 2008 5:49 am

Honestly, I've went over it before on other topics regarding my use of romanji spelling for character names before. I don't do it to try and act like some kind of elitist doing it for the sake of trying to sound superior. I use them because my Dragonball "upbringing" if you will has left it rather habitual.

DominatorLost
Beyond Newbie

Post by DominatorLost » Thu May 29, 2008 5:49 am

ETC123 wrote:
Oh please dont.
Trying not to laugh...

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu May 29, 2008 5:50 am

Darkprince410 wrote:His going for Juunanagou instead of Juuhachigou could easily be explained by the fact that Juunanagou offered an easier target, since he was obviously damaged to some slight degree from his earlier fight, not to mention he was also somewhat isolated from the others, while Juuhachigou was almost right beside Juurokugou the entire time until he decided to step in.
Except for four factors.

1) Cell made the same assumption that 17 and 18 did. That 16 was inferior to them.

2) 18 is weaker than 17.

3) Both cyborgs have infinite energy so 17 would not be any weaker from fighting Piccolo than he had been at the start of the fight.

4) He could have grabbed and absorbed 18 without being noticed until it was too late to prevent it.

Despite all of this he went for 17 which leads me to believe he had to go for 17.
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Good point.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Thu May 29, 2008 6:26 am

ETC123 wrote:
Oh please dont.
Please don't what, use out own naming terms?
You keep using your " Androids " term, which is incorrect anyway, and we'll continue to do what we like, ok?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu May 29, 2008 6:41 am

Rory wrote:
ETC123 wrote:
Oh please dont.
Please don't what, use out own naming terms?
You keep using your " Androids " term, which is incorrect anyway, and we'll continue to do what we like, ok?
He's not saying anything about "Androids" he's talking about the numbers, you realise that they're actually written as numerics right?

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Thu May 29, 2008 6:58 am

Xyex wrote:
Darkprince410 wrote:His going for Juunanagou instead of Juuhachigou could easily be explained by the fact that Juunanagou offered an easier target, since he was obviously damaged to some slight degree from his earlier fight, not to mention he was also somewhat isolated from the others, while Juuhachigou was almost right beside Juurokugou the entire time until he decided to step in.
Except for four factors.

1) Cell made the same assumption that 17 and 18 did. That 16 was inferior to them.

2) 18 is weaker than 17.

3) Both cyborgs have infinite energy so 17 would not be any weaker from fighting Piccolo than he had been at the start of the fight.

4) He could have grabbed and absorbed 18 without being noticed until it was too late to prevent it.

Despite all of this he went for 17 which leads me to believe he had to go for 17.
1) Inferior yes, but nevertheless, someone that could possibly get in the way and disrupt his absorption attempts.

2) This could easily be one of the reasons why he went after Juunanagou rather than Juuhachigou, since it's possible that he would have received a larger power boost than he would have from Juuhachigou.

3) I'm not saying that his battle power would have decreased, but that he could have been physically damaged and thus provided a potentially easier target.

4) Why he opted to make his presence known when he did is anyone's guess.

It could also simply be considered that the reason Toriyama chose that order was so that he could have the whole turmoil issue with Kuririn and Juuhachigou.

ETC123
Banned

Post by ETC123 » Thu May 29, 2008 9:26 am

A word filter on said phrasings would be nice.

I'm not saying that Androids is correct, then again the term artificial humans doesnt exactly roll well off the tounge.

What I'm saying is that if you have to explain in quite a few different topic why you do something instead of maybe doing something about it, you simply crave and want the attention.

Which is silly.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Thu May 29, 2008 11:44 am

Before reading this thread I would not have gone into any deep thought about this topic and would have guessed that Cell going for Andriod 17 first was just coincidence, but after reading these posts I have come to the conclusion that Cell went for Andriod 17 first because there would have been a difference between how he would have turned out (or it just had to be done in that order due to Dr. gero's planning).

I don't think that Cell went for Andriod 17 first because he was weakened by Piccolo and he needed him to be weakened to overtake him, because if he did need him to be weakened he would have let him and Piccolo keep going at it (and Cell has proven to be very patient so I don't think he dove in because he couldn't wait any longer).

Thank you for starting this thread Zuhalter2000, you have really helped me look deeper into this aspect of Dragonball! :)

*Note: I use Andriod because I am too lazy to spell out Artificial Human each time and am too lazy to look up how to spell Jinzoningozengin properly.

mrkaizoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by mrkaizoku » Thu May 29, 2008 3:07 pm

Why not call them what they should be called? Number 16, Number 17, and Number 18? Using juurokugou, juuhachigou, and juunanagou comes off as half assed. It's like you translated most of your posts but forgot to translate nouns. I can see not agreeing with some names like 'Freeza' or 'Bulma'. I'm pretty sure those two should be Freezer and Bloomer. We don't walk around calling 'Freeza's' brother Coola, and the joke with 'Bulma's' last name means nothing in English. I can see getting into arguments about those two names, but when it comes to Number 16, Number 17, and Number 18 it's pretty cut and dry.

Toriyama writes them 16 号, 17 号, and 18 号 which end up being Numbers 16, 17, and 18. I suppose there are also people that would translate them as being Item 16, 17, and 18, but that is another can of worms.

Whew, now on the the topic's actual point. I think that if Cell had absorbed 18 first he probably would have looked different, but not much. He might have looked a little more feminine. I kind of shudder to think about that.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu May 29, 2008 3:35 pm

mrkaizoku wrote:Whew, now on the the topic's actual point. I think that if Cell had absorbed 18 first he probably would have looked different, but not much. He might have looked a little more feminine. I kind of shudder to think about that.
Cell with boobs ... that could turn out one of two ways at the opposite ends of the extreme.

I do agree with you on the name usage. If you know that your way of spelling names is on the far minority, you could at leats attempt to footnote it some way so the the non-intuitive can somewhat understand what you're saying. I'm pretty good at figuring things out and could use the context of the discussion to decifer it. But others may not. This is one of the reasons for the forum filter that is in place (at least I think it).
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu May 29, 2008 4:56 pm

But others may not. This is one of the reasons for the forum filter that is in place (at least I think it).
No. The filter exists only because Mike got tired of seeing certain names he doesn't like. Tien, Pikkon, Hercule, etc. And to help consolidate some of the random name spellings you get for some characters down to more obvious/common ones.
I can see not agreeing with some names like 'Freeza' or 'Bulma'. I'm pretty sure those two should be Freezer and Bloomer.
Actually, no. Freeza is supposed to be Freeza (unless you typed Frieza and the word filter caught it, but it's still Freeza in the end). Though yeah, Bulma's based on "Bloomers", I think "Blooma" is the 'most correct' spelling for that one. I can also get when people use "Kuririn" (did I even spell that right? :? ) over Krillin to stick with the pun.

But I do, to an extent, have to agree about other names. The given 'names' for 16-20 are roman numerals. The only reason you have Juunanagou, Juuhachigou, and so on is, well, I don't really know. They may be saying Juuhahigou in JP version but that's just them saying "Number 18" in Japanese.

I hold the same for any name that is a phonetic 'almost' spelling created soley for the Japanese vocabulary to make sense of such as "Bejita", "Seru", and *shudder* "Toranksu". I do get why fans who have watched the JP version for years (and in many cases don't even watch the dub) are used to them and tend to use them but I tend to make an effort to use correct names and not 'well, this is what it sounds like' names when I know the correct and a large majority of others do as well so it's not like it's hard or impossible to change.

I mean, if you know that his name is Cell and it just sounds like Seru because of how the Japanese language works why would you use Seru instead of Cell?

Er... right, not the topic. >_>
Whew, now on the the topic's actual point. I think that if Cell had absorbed 18 first he probably would have looked different, but not much. He might have looked a little more feminine. I kind of shudder to think about that.
You know, now that I think about it, I think I've seen a fanart with that as the theme.... scarily enough it wasn't half bad. Hmmm. I'll have to see if I can find that again... might be good for SG2's game. XD
<Xyex> Good point.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Thu May 29, 2008 6:40 pm

Xyex wrote:17 and 18 are about the same build, only difference is gender, so he likely would have come out the same. Except maybe with breasts. >>
That's sexy.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu May 29, 2008 11:27 pm

Well, it's not the one I was thinking of but.... I did find this. There's two others like it and then a forth image that's NSFW and.... disturbing.
<Xyex> Good point.