Trunks/Bardock specials coming to Blu-ray

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

INVINCEABLE
Not-So-Newbie

Trunks/Bardock specials coming to Blu-ray

Post by INVINCEABLE » Mon May 19, 2008 8:09 pm

Coming 7/15. The features should be similar to the first two releases. I wish there were some good extras.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/ ... u-ray/1747

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Wed May 21, 2008 8:50 am

Yeah, I was happy to see this, I opted not to get the DVD set to completely avoid the remastered/widescreed nonesense. I'm planing on collecting all of the movies on these Blu-Ray editions...for whenever I get a player.
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets"- Goku

ETC123
Banned

Post by ETC123 » Wed May 21, 2008 10:59 am

Hero 004 wrote:Yeah, I was happy to see this, I opted not to get the DVD set to completely avoid the remastered/widescreed nonesense. I'm planing on collecting all of the movies on these Blu-Ray editions...for whenever I get a player.
Uh, you do realise that not only are these not movies, they're also 'remastered'/widescreen as well?

Arcwave
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arcwave » Wed May 21, 2008 11:13 am

Bollocks! If I would've known this was coming out I wouldn't have bought the SD version. Argh!
Jesse
tricofilms.com

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed May 21, 2008 11:58 am

Arcwave wrote:Bollocks! If I would've known this was coming out I wouldn't have bought the SD version. Argh!
It was fairly obvious that it'd be getting a Blu-ray release. I mean, FUNi's even said that the entire point behind the widescreening of the series was for HD. I'm expecting a Blu-ray release of the Season Sets following the DVD release.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed May 21, 2008 12:49 pm

But they made their Widescreen "Remastered" DVD releases in "1080p, the highest available HD format." Says so in their little "Extra".

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Wed May 21, 2008 1:04 pm

I tend to ignore whatever Funimation says about the sets. Just throw the subtitles on there, they are the only thing that matter to me.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Wed May 21, 2008 3:16 pm

ETC123 wrote:
Hero 004 wrote:Yeah, I was happy to see this, I opted not to get the DVD set to completely avoid the remastered/widescreed nonesense. I'm planing on collecting all of the movies on these Blu-Ray editions...for whenever I get a player.
Uh, you do realise that not only are these not movies, they're also 'remastered'/widescreen as well?
TV airing aside, I like to call Trunks and Bardock movies, as I do most made-for-TV features. That's just what they feel like to me. I don't know if this is relevant, but Toriyama even said that Bardock was his favorite of the movies when asked in an interview. But yes, I indeed realize that they were not released in theaters like the rest.
I also realize that these are cropped/remastered just like the DVD versions. However, they are the only avaible Blu-Ray versions of the films and I predict that it will remain that way. Unlike the TV series, which is still avaible in full screen grainyness if you put a little work in.
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets"- Goku

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed May 21, 2008 10:33 pm

Xyex wrote:It was fairly obvious that it'd be getting a Blu-ray release. I mean, FUNi's even said that the entire point behind the widescreening of the series was for HD. I'm expecting a Blu-ray release of the Season Sets following the DVD release.
I doubt the season sets are popular enough to warrent a Blu-ray realese. Besides, everyone that plans on getting the season sets will get them when they first come out and not wait for the possible Blu-Ray versions espesially when a six Blu-Ray disc set would probably retail for over 100$ (5 disc LOST season 4 in Blu-Ray retails for $96.99).

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed May 21, 2008 11:01 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote: a six Blu-Ray disc set would probably retail for over 100$ (5 disc LOST season 4 in Blu-Ray retails for $96.99).
I don't know about the prices in the US, but here in Australia they try to sell you regular DVD boxsets of shows like Heroes and Lost for around seventy bucks, it all really depends on how much they think people are going to pay for the shows.

Funimation wouldn't have telecined the show at 1080p if they didn't plan to do a Blu Ray release, Dragonball is their cashcow, and they intend to keep it that way.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu May 22, 2008 12:53 am

But Blu-Ray can fit craploads more than DVD. So while it may be 6 DVDs, could only be like 2 Blu-Rays.

ETC123
Banned

Post by ETC123 » Thu May 22, 2008 3:23 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:But they made their Widescreen "Remastered" DVD releases in "1080p, the highest available HD format." Says so in their little "Extra".
Hi! A little clarification-

The words I beleive they used were somethingmore to the effect of "Using a newly remastered 1080p HD print" or what not. DVD itself can only handle up to 480p/i, and thats what the current DVD releases use. It is downscaled footage from a higher definition master. Anime companies tend to word things nearly flat-out wrong anyway.

Subsequently while a bluray disc has a higher capacity, HD video takes up a lot more space, and so while the show is HD it will take up an appropriate ammount of space, thus leaving it on more or less the same discs. However, considering Bluray is able to go above two layers per disc (u0p to 8, at a later date) it is possibly the discs will contain more content, but this might not be for a while.

Also remember people assumed TV shows on DVD would cost $35 a disc. They wont, because as technology like the progresses, production will get cheaper and the sets will cost less.

Besides, regardless of Toriyama, they're still TV specials. THey aired on TV in place of normal TV episodes, so while they're still special, they're still, as far as production goes, episodes.

Doesnt matter anyway.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Thu May 22, 2008 12:53 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:But Blu-Ray can fit craploads more than DVD. So while it may be 6 DVDs, could only be like 2 Blu-Rays.
That's true, I didn't think of that. But Funimation has proven that the DVD's used in their season sets are capable of holding up to 7 episodes each and yet for season five (26 episodes) they spread the episodes over 6 discs when it could have been only four discs. This shows that they are trying to make as much DBZ material as they can so that they can maximize their profits as apposed to being efficient and using as little resuorces as necessary and not having to charge as much. So even though Blu-Ray season sets will not need as many discs I think that they still will use more discs than they need to in order to justify higher prices. This is just my opinion, I'm not saying that they will or will not release the seasons in Blu-Ray, just that if they do they will be more expensive.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri May 23, 2008 7:57 am

No, for Season 5 it's because they wanted it to be a consistent release and have the same thickness. It would've been exactly the same price.

And just for the record, the reason I put quites around the, "it was remastered in 1080p", that was me joking. No shit a DVD can't be 1080p. Just another thing that makes me laugh, right along with, "notice how the colors were not altered" and "look at the side footage...what? Missing vertical? You're not paying attention to the right angles, look at the side footage!"

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri May 23, 2008 8:03 am

SSj_Rambo wrote: So even though Blu-Ray season sets will not need as many discs.
Didn't you read what ETC123 just posted..? :roll:

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri May 23, 2008 5:53 pm

Well... Good thing I only payed $5 for the SD release, or else I'd be pissed!

ETC123
Banned

Post by ETC123 » Sat May 24, 2008 1:18 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:No, for Season 5 it's because they wanted it to be a consistent release and have the same thickness. It would've been exactly the same price.

And just for the record, the reason I put quites around the, "it was remastered in 1080p", that was me joking. No shit a DVD can't be 1080p. Just another thing that makes me laugh, right along with, "notice how the colors were not altered" and "look at the side footage...what? Missing vertical? You're not paying attention to the right angles, look at the side footage!"
Sarcasm isnt exactly well conveyed when it is established certian forum members have very little clue what they are talking about most of the time, especially with HD.