Dragonball fans and the rest of the anime/manga fanbase.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jermyn

Dragonball fans and the rest of the anime/manga fanbase.

Post by Jermyn » Tue May 20, 2008 5:53 pm

Do non-DB anime/manga fans look down on us for liking what they see as an inferior show/comic? I've met a lot of anime fans who dislike or outright hate Dragonball for reasons like they don't like the art style, they think the characters are boring and bland, you think the series drags on forever, or because it's not uber-deep or a work of art like Cowboy Bebop or Death Note or Evangelion. They also seem to think that people who are fans of the Dragonball series are clearly stupid or aren't REAL anime fans. So you do think that. So is just me or does anyone else here have these kind of experiences?

Catterix2006
Beyond Newbie

Post by Catterix2006 » Tue May 20, 2008 6:02 pm

I have done, but then I shock them all with my divine intellect! :lol:

But, given that I also enjoy a wide range of anime from the hyper fun Slice of life genre to the typical Shonen genre all the way to the I'm-so-deep-because-I-understand-symbolism series like Evangelion, and approach all in the same way, that most people don't bother arguing with me! :twisted:
I love humans, always seeing patterns in things that aren't there.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Tue May 20, 2008 6:03 pm

Most of the people like that are just ignorant people. Though it's true that they are out there, it's best to ignore them. They have no respect, we all know that without DBZ, Anime would not be what it is today in America.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue May 20, 2008 6:17 pm

I know these people exist, but I tend to ignore them.
For the record, I enjoy both Cowboy Bebop and Death Note.

I don't think DB's shallow at all; it just doesn't bother going further into the more angsty issues (like the kinds of crimes Vegeta's committed in the past or Chi-Chi's loss of her husband after the Cell Games and then later finding out she's pregnant.) because it wants to keep the plot moving and not get too bogged down in itself.

A series doesn't have to be angsty to be enjoyable. :wink:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Jermyn

Post by Jermyn » Tue May 20, 2008 6:33 pm

I'm not saying that don't like other anime or that Dragonball is the greatest anime/manga of all time, it just that I tire of people slaping the WORST EVER label on it or insult people who like it.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue May 20, 2008 7:14 pm

Simply put, most hate the show based on what they saw on Toonami, or their experiences with rabid fans of the show. They have never taken the time to actually watch the show from start to finish, and basically judge it based on some anime writer's review.

And they can all kiss my ass.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue May 20, 2008 7:51 pm

This stuff never really bothers me.

For example, one of my friends hates comics, but he has never actually read one, or even flipped through the pages, his argument was that it can't convey the same things a media like film can.

So my response of course was "What about books?, they're even less visual that comics, are you saying that comics can't have complex story lines when they're just pictures and words, but books can?"

Don't let this stuff bother you, just point out their ignorance, and move on, if they want to hate something they know nothing about just for the sake of it, more power to them and their little shriveled souls.
Last edited by Captain Awesome on Tue May 20, 2008 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Tue May 20, 2008 11:04 pm

I could care less what other people think about my taste in anime and manga. I love tons of other stuff, but I'll always be on the front lines of the DB fandom. I'm okay with the fact that the characters aren't forged with the same depth as others; that there aren't immense amounts of inner monologues a la Death Note, and what have you. There's something else about the story that for me, makes it just as gripping as all the other things I enjoy.

And despite people's distaste for it, there's no denying the impact Dragon Ball has had on a ton of the manga and anime that's made it's way to the hearts of fanboys/fangirls the world over. One Piece and Naruto especially, but I see traces of it's style in other stories like Fullmetal Alchemist and Tsubasa.

I'm not the type to really base what I like or what I'll "admit" to liking because of others. If you like something, just enjoy it! Dragon Ball isn't for everything.... and that goes for ANY anime/manga/comic/tv show/band. :P
Aly. Professional nerd. [url=http://vegetas.livejournal.com]vegetas@livejournal[/url]

DB Cosplay 2009: The Great Saiyaman

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed May 21, 2008 1:23 am

I know some who enjoy it, though these are usually people who hate dubs and call all of the characters by their dub names... like Pokémon too.

I know plenty of people who aren't anime fans who enjoy it, though it's not been on TV for years, I told them they can get the DVDs from AxelMusic and other sites, and that they play on English DVD players.

Though to be honest I know a few people who hadn't heard of the manga or anime before, they though it was some awesome new Video games series.

COCONUT MILK
Beyond Newbie

Post by COCONUT MILK » Wed May 21, 2008 1:55 am

"It's a kids's show" lololololol!

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed May 21, 2008 2:07 am

COCONUT MILK wrote:"It's a kids's show" lololololol!
Says the people who think Naruto is adult stuff.

Arcwave
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arcwave » Wed May 21, 2008 3:13 am

Raki wrote: And they can all kiss my ass.
I'll cheers to that! 8)
Jesse
tricofilms.com

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed May 21, 2008 4:50 am

Raki wrote:They have never taken the time to actually watch the show from start to finish
To be fair, it would take over eight days to watch all of DB/Z/GT if you took no breaks at all.
because it's not uber-deep or a work of art like ... Evangelion.
Bullshit = depth? Well, I suppose if 4'33'' counts as music...

Vegeta Jr
Regular

Post by Vegeta Jr » Wed May 21, 2008 9:23 am

Rocketman wrote:
Raki wrote:They have never taken the time to actually watch the show from start to finish
To be fair, it would take over eight days to watch all of DB/Z/GT if you took no breaks at all.
Curiously enough, whenever my Season sets arrive I tend to watch it all straight away in one long marathon....

Edit:
Oh yea just remembered, on the bus to college this morning there was a bunch of high school chavs at the back of the bus.....talking about Dragonball. And the most surprising thing was they weren't bashing it 0_o

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Wed May 21, 2008 10:47 am

The way I see it, there's the ignorant DBZ basher and the more knowledgeable one. While I ignore the ignorant ones, I actually agree with most of the points held by anti-DBZ anime fans. There was an editorial in Daizex' news the other day which pointed out the major flaws to the series, like dragged out fights and ridiculous powerlevels.
And it's true, the fights are dragged out and the powerlevels do get insane at times. However, I love Dragonball for its amazing potential. To me, it feels like a masterpiece that, if more work were to be put in it, could be on the same level of Lord of the Rings. There are so much incredible concepts in Dragonball that create an unbelievable world of experience.

That live-action movie, for example... yes, it won't be good, but when news of it just surfaced, I thought of all the things that it could be with the right people working on it with the right amount of resources. It could be legendary. And that is why I love Dragonball in spite of its obvious flaws.

It's too bad, though, that the anti-DBZ anime fans don't see that. But I won't force my views on them... if they don't like it that's their right. Dragonball still rules!
It's all GOOD

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed May 21, 2008 12:50 pm

I heard from my friends, that's why the non-Jump-based anime 4Kids does doesn't get any complaints.

As for my college's anime club, they didn't get on DBZ that much. They didn't mind the dub as a lot of them were kids when they watched it, and I confused a lot of guys when saying Mr. Satan instead of Her-Cule.
Last edited by Super Sonic on Wed May 21, 2008 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed May 21, 2008 12:55 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
I heard from my friends, that's why the non-Jump-based anime 4Kids does doesn't get any complaints.

As for my college's anime club, they didn't get on DBZ that much. They didn't mind the dub as a lot of them were kids when they watched it, and I confused a lot of guys when saying Mr. Satan instead of Mr. Satan.
Ha Ha Mr.EX's filters strike again!
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Wed May 21, 2008 12:55 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Taking out GT and all the movies could reduce the amount of days necessary. I wouldn't expect anyone to watch all of it in one sitting though.

On the subject of Evangelion, i've seen the first 3 episodes of the set I own. It's okay from what I've seen.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Wed May 21, 2008 1:30 pm

I read Rocketman's "bullshit" as "bullshit maskarading as philosophy and character", not that the show itself is bs... but maybe I read wrong. ;)

When I got to ma new place for Jr and Sr year of Highscool, there was a big "advertse the clubs" assembly (which... never interests me). An Anime club representative gets up there, and says, "We're not watching Dragon ball Z; we're more mature than that.". Well, thanks for the complement...?

... I blame the dub. Sure, DBZ didn't bother capitalizing on the numerous opportunities for ... ... what is it that people like again? Angst? SoapOperas? Shipping? Philosophical debates? ...
... In fact, it was started as another gag-manga courtesy the author of Dr. Slump.
... Well, for a gag-manga, it gets rather intense... :D

I don't think Toriyama was too interested in creating one of the top five fantasy/sciFi worlds of the twentieth century. I think he just wanted to have fun with it without pissing off his editors. The result is ... umm... a timeless classic? Well, a fun show filled with cuteness, violence, drama and lots and lots of reaction shots...
... And despite that simplicity, what we were given is filled with a crap-ton of openings for a super-rich universe. Tolkien's Middle Earth and DB-verse seem to differ in that Tolkien filled in as much as possible, while Toriyama left plenty of space (to pack in dreams? :) ).

... and I miss FindKenshi's and DragonballDaisuki's projects. :(
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Wed May 21, 2008 1:33 pm

caejones wrote:When I got to ma new place for Jr and Sr year of Highscool, there was a big "advertse the clubs" assembly (which... never interests me). An Anime club representative gets up there, and says, "We're not watching Dragon ball Z; we're more mature than that.". Well, thanks for the complement...?
That kind of sillyness is the result of two things. Funimation's piss poor dub, and fan ignorance.