Legend of the Super Saiyan (Super Saiya Densetsu)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sprite Satan
Regular

Legend of the Super Saiyan (Super Saiya Densetsu)

Post by Sprite Satan » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:20 pm

Anyone remember this SNES Dragon Ball Z RPG? It was basically two NES Dragon Ball Z RPG's meshed together with more free-roaming and updated graphics.

I love the crap out of this game, even if the Namek part of the game is quite odd (Faerie springs and switch puzzles, really?) and all of the usual flaws a more traditional DBZ RPG will run into (hordes of Saibaimen apparently attacked Goku and Piccolo on their way to Raditz).

Still, I think it's a damn fine game. The battle scenes are cool, if a little tiring after a while and the ki attacks are damn fine. I also did a small piece on the game for my blog if you care about that. Does anyone else love this Japanese-only card-based RPG or even hate it?

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:25 pm

If they had fixed two things, it'd be spectacular.

1) The sheer amount of leveling is ludicrous, even for a Dragonball game.

2) For the love of God, some more battle themes would be nice.
Trunks & Goten forever

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:29 pm

I don't mind the levelling but the actual encounter rate is really weird. Sometimes you can fly around for ages before getting in a fight and then sometimes as soon as a battle ends, you'll get another random battle without even moving. It's really annoying when you just want to go somewhere.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:35 pm

Heh. One time I did a private challenge of mine: defeat Freeza without using Goku at all. I pulled it out, but damn, it was hard.

The post-Freeza bonus fight was a lot of fun, too.

(Nice blog, BTW, I love Yamcha)
Trunks & Goten forever

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:57 pm

Whatever fun I had with the game was yanked forcibly out and brutally sodomized by the random battles.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:47 pm

I got bored quickly.. I don't play a Dragonball game to beat the shit out of countless multi coloured Saibamen, before I can get to an important battle.

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:29 am

Rocketman wrote:Whatever fun I had with the game was yanked forcibly out and brutally sodomized by the random battles.
To be honest, I just cheated in 'no random encounters' a lot. The random battles are messed up bad.

Right now, I just like messing around it. Using a party made up of the Ginyu Force and fighting random encounters with teams of Kuririns and the like. It's strange how Super Saiyan Gohan is hidden in the coding, as well as a Golden Great Ape. Strange stuff.
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:43 pm

Did this have the card system? Because if so, I can't get behind this game.

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:28 pm

omegacwa wrote:Did this have the card system? Because if so, I can't get behind this game.
It did but I still liked it.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:50 pm

Hmm, what so bad about the card system in this game? It worked okay for battles and you didn't need to use it to move, like in the NES variants. Besides, it was basically the only hope for lower characters to do more damage than their higher BP counterparts. :D

Wojak
Regular

Post by Wojak » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:04 pm

Sprite Satan wrote:
Rocketman wrote:Whatever fun I had with the game was yanked forcibly out and brutally sodomized by the random battles.
To be honest, I just cheated in 'no random encounters' a lot. The random battles are messed up bad.

Right now, I just like messing around it. Using a party made up of the Ginyu Force and fighting random encounters with teams of Kuririns and the like. It's strange how Super Saiyan Gohan is hidden in the coding, as well as a Golden Great Ape. Strange stuff.
How do you get the other characters? Do you use a special program?
No more time for Daizex. Goodbye folks!

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:10 pm

Wojak wrote:How do you get the other characters? Do you use a special program?
Game Genie. Most SNES emulators support Game Genie codes too.

GameFAQs have no less than three FAQs with codes for adjusting levels, parties, items, the value of cards and so on.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:11 pm

I have fond memories of this game, defeating Freeza without using the BP multiplier card so I could beat SSJ Vegeta at the end of the game.

Harukanaru Densetsu made me want to go back and play it.

Adamant
I Live Here

Re: Legend of the Super Saiyan (Super Saiya Densetsu)

Post by Adamant » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:46 pm

Sprite Satan wrote: It was basically two NES Dragon Ball Z RPG's meshed together with more free-roaming and updated graphics.
No, not really, apart from reusing the same basic plotline (because no one likes Cell, or something).

But yeah, definetly the best of the old Dragonball RPG series. The games kept improving on each other by adding more good features and removing bad ones, and this one ended up being the final product, a long stretch from the barely playable Daimaou Fukkatsu.

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Legend of the Super Saiyan (Super Saiya Densetsu)

Post by Darknat » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:56 pm

Adamant wrote:
Sprite Satan wrote: It was basically two NES Dragon Ball Z RPG's meshed together with more free-roaming and updated graphics.
No, not really, apart from reusing the same basic plotline (because no one likes Cell, or something).

But yeah, definetly the best of the old Dragonball RPG series. The games kept improving on each other by adding more good features and removing bad ones, and this one ended up being the final product, a long stretch from the barely playable Daimaou Fukkatsu.
It wasn't the last product. That one would be the Plant ot exterminate the saiyans.

It goes this order if I'm not mistaken:

DB2 for the nes
DB3 for the nes
DBZ1 for the nes
DBZ2 for the nes
Legend of the Super Saiyan for the SNES
DBZ3 for the nes
DBZ Gaiden for the nes
DB for the Wonderswan Color (remake of DB3)
DBZ Harukanaru Goku Densetsu for the DS

The card system evolved a lot in all those games. If they took all the good things, and added fight scenes like the ones on the DBZ nes and Snes games they could make a good DB rpg.

I did't like Harukanaru Goku Densetsu, it was slow, it lacked any freedom, and the fights were boring.
I liked some of the concepts they had for the card system.

Super Saiyan densetsu needed better music and less random encounters.

Adey
Beyond Newbie

Post by Adey » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:10 am

I liked it when you were a higher level midway through the game, and normal combat would end in smashing people in to the earth or through a bunch of rocks.

Also, when you get to Freeza and Piccolo's Special Beam Cannon is so huge and overpowered it actually engulfs Freeza :)

I do however remember one point going through these caves to get to Guru's place and I got lost, and fought so many random battles I think I gave up for a while, but then was so strong when I came out I beat the stuffing out of the Ginyu Force after the powerup from Guru.

RandomDbzEnthusiast

Post by RandomDbzEnthusiast » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:32 pm

I tryed one of the codes for the invincibility for the p1 but it appears a zero and i actually lost
Could you help me?

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:35 am

I still remember playing the game back in 01'. If they ever revamped the series on the DS, it would be amazing. To date: The best DBZ RPG game I've gone through, experience-wise.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:03 pm

This game was one of the best DBZ games ever.

The Saiyan arc wasn't as difficult as the Namek/Freeza arc, though. Once I got to the Ginyu Force, I couldn't win against Recoome. I also like the fact that Vegeta doesn't attack sometimes when it's hist turn to attack; that just pissed me off whenever I was prepared to launch a powerful attack.

They should focus on games like this for the future.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:09 pm

I actually own this Super Famicom cart and I don't think I ever popped it in other to check and make sure it worked. I know it is supposed to be pretty good, so I should totally check it out.

Sounds like everyone else is emulating it, though ^_~.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::