List of name changes in Viz manga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

List of name changes in Viz manga

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:39 am

This is a list of all the altered names Viz used in their adaptation of the manga.

The list goes like this: DB/DBZ vol. xx - altered name - original name - a note (if any)

---------------------------------

DB vol. 02 - Carrot Master - Toninjinka - His original name translates to "Rabbit who turns people into carrots"

DB vol. 05 - Full Metal Jacket - Sergeant Metallic

DB vol. 05 - Sergeant Major Purple - Sergeant Major Murasaki - Murasaki does translates to "Purple", but due to the nature of the character, it's prefered to be known by his Japanese name

DB vol. 06 - 8-man - Hachan

DB vol. 06 - The Jiggler - Buyon

DB vol .06 - Seat Hurtle - Ure Game - Goku mispronunsed the Turtle's name

DB vol. 09 - All-Seeing Crone - Uranai Baba - An "accurate" translation of the name?

DB vol. 09 - Count Dracula - Dracula-Man

DB vol. 09 - The Invisible Man - Suke

DB vol. 09 - The Mummy - Miira

DB vol. 09 - Devil - Akkuman

DBZ vol. 02 - Cultivars - Saibaimen

DBZ vol. 06 - Scargo - Cargo

DBZ vol. 06 - Great Elder - Saichoro - A translation of his title

DBZ vol. 17 - HELLcule - Mr. Satan

DBZ vol. 20 - Laem - Idassa

DBZ vol. 21 - Lord of Lords - Kaioshin

DBZ vol. 21- Djinn Boo - Majin Boo

DBZ vol. 21 - Bobbidi - Babidi

DBZ vol. 22 - Pocus - Pui Pui - the name came from "Hocus-Pocus"

DBZ vol. 26 - Vegerot - Vegetto

DBZ vol. 26 - Bay - Bee

---------------------------------

And if I missed anybody or overlooked something, just say it and I'll add it to the list

EDIT: Icose is out of the list
Last edited by SHINOBI-03 on Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:46 am

The subs called spelled Ikose's name the same way or similar. (hasn't watched those eps in years).

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:57 am

I'd actually forgotten all about Icosa and Idassa. ^^;;
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:13 am

So they localized/translated "Idasa", but not "Ikose"?
Huh.

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:15 am

Lord of Worlds - Kaio-sama

I think the little girl in the mountain town who saved Goku from freezing to death was originall unnamed in Dragon ball, but in the final volume of Dragon Ball Z, Android 8 calls her Snow. Dunno if that counts as altered or not cuz I dunno if her name was spoken in the japanese version.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:25 am

Super Sonic wrote:The subs called spelled Ikose's name the same way or similar. (hasn't watched those eps in years).
Then, maybe we can consider it an alternate spelling/pronunciation more than a name change? if so, I'll take it out.
Travis Touchdown wrote:Lord of Worlds - Kaio-sama

I think the little girl in the mountain town who saved Goku from freezing to death was originall unnamed in Dragon ball, but in the final volume of Dragon Ball Z, Android 8 calls her Snow. Dunno if that counts as altered or not cuz I dunno if her name was spoken in the japanese version.
He was called Kaio-Sama from time to time. I didn't add it because they used the original name like I said.

As for Snow, she was unnamed when she appeared in the manga. Be she was named in the final volume and is based on what used in the anime.
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:27 am

I thought Bay was originally “Bay” not "Bee".
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:48 am

DBZ vol. 21 - Bobbidi - Babidi
Why list that name, but not others (Jheese, Bibbidi, Freeza) whose names were altered from the romanized spelling to fit the name pun? I'd say that a change in pronunciation is a name change, not an alternative spelling (compare VIZ's “Scargo” to Steve's “Cargot”). Also, I think that, were he an English-speaking man, Toriyama would prefer the Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo spellings. I'm not quite sure why so many people seem to be against those spellings...

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:56 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:I think that, were he an English-speaking man, Toriyama would prefer the Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo spellings.
Or maybe he would want something a bit less obvious?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: List of name changes in Viz manga

Post by Herms » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:58 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote: DB vol. 09 - All-Seeing Crone - Uranai Baba - An "accurate" translation of the name?
DB vol. 09 - Count Dracula - Dracula-Man
Are you sure about that? I could of sworn they kept it as "Dracule-man". Perhaps this is another change between different editions of the Viz manga?
DBZ vol. 06 - Great Elder - Saichoro - A translation of his title
That's true, although to be technical saichourou literally means "eldest".
DBZ vol. 20 - Laem - Idassa
As Olivier Hague hinted at, Idassa is a pun on dasai, Japanese for "lame/out of fasion". Hence "Laem".
linkdude20002001 wrote:I thought Bay was originally “Bay” not "Bee".
No, it was originally "Bee" (ベー), the idea being that it's similiar to Boo/Buu. "Bee" is however supposed to be pronounced like "Bay", not like bee the insect.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:10 am

Olivier Hague wrote:
Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:I think that, were he an English-speaking man, Toriyama would prefer the Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo spellings.
Wouldn't he have went for something “a little less obvious” with the kana spellings, if that were the case? Hell, Boo's name was altered from the chant (kind of...), but he spelled it Boo instead of Buu anyway. I'm not sure why you're fine with “Trunks” or “Cell,” but not “Bibbidi” or “Bobbidi.” Simply because of a guide book, or...?

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:21 am

Herms wrote:it was originally "Bee" (ベー), the idea being that it's similiar to Boo/Buu.
So similar it was actually "ベエ" (or was it "ベェ"?), I believe, just like "Boo" was "ブウ" rather than "ブー".

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:
Wouldn't he have went for something “a little less obvious” with the kana spellings, if that were the case?
Not necessarily.
I'm not sure why you're fine with “Trunks” or “Cell,” but not “Bibbidi” or “Bobbidi.” Simply because of a guide book, or...?
Well, yeah, "simply" because it's been consistently spelled as "Babidi". Same thing for "Trunks" and "Cell", incidentally.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:34 am

I could of sworn they kept it as "Dracule-man".
2 quick scans

My Anime List
My Manga List

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:39 am

Olivier Hague wrote:Not necessarily.
I'm not quite sure I understand why.
Olivier Hague wrote:Well, yeah, "simply" because it's been consistently spelled as "Babidi".
Yes, by people not named Akira Toriyama. But we've already went over that subject a million and a half times, so a new argument would be pointless.

By the way, have you ever seen an official spelling for “Bibidi”?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:53 am

Olivier Hague wrote:So similar it was actually "ベエ" (or was it "ベェ"?), I believe, just like "Boo" was "ブウ" rather than "ブー".
Darn, that's right. Thanks.
SHINOBI-03 wrote:2 quick scans

[snip]

[snip]
Man that's weird. Can anybody check the old large-format graphic novels or the monthly issue releases to see if it was still "Count Dracula" back then?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:03 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:I'm not quite sure I understand why.
Because kana spellings and alphabet spellings are two entirely different animals?
You could have two words spelled the same in alphabet but pronounced differently, and thus spelled differently in kana.
Or you could have two words pronounced the same (or close enough), and thus spelled the same in kana, but spelled differently in alphabet.
Well, yeah, "simply" because it's been consistently spelled as "Babidi".
Yes, by people not named Akira Toriyama.
Maybe, maybe not.
Whereas I'm pretty sure he's not behind the "Bobbidi" spelling.
By the way, have you ever seen an official spelling for “Bibidi”?
I don't believe I have.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:05 am

Olivier Hague wrote:
Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:I'm not quite sure I understand why.
Because kana spellings and alphabet spellings are two entirely different animals?
You could have two words spelled the same in alphabet but pronounced differently, and thus spelled differently in kana.
Or you could have two words pronounced the same (or close enough), and thus spelled the same in kana, but spelled differently in alphabet.
I can see what you mean, but we're talking about three made up words here (bibbidi-bobbidi-boo). Toriyama left the names' pronunciations unaltered from the song, so I find it hard to believe that he would intend for the names to spelled differently in alphabet. There's really nothing to suggest that, other than some Japanese merchandise. And you should know by now how I feel about that. ^.^
Whereas I'm pretty sure he's not behind the "Bobbidi" spelling.
Maybe, maybe not. For all we know, Toriyama may have sent a list of official name spellings directly to VIZ!

I'm kidding, of course. I doubt he's behind any of the official spellings (besides, obviously, those found in his manga).

Wojak
Regular

Post by Wojak » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:14 am

Hmm, this is interesting. I may in summer (maybe even before that) start a similar thread about the Swedish manga names, if someone's interested.
Maybe I'll also add differences in translation or something similar.
No more time for Daizex. Goodbye folks!

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:14 am

Kaio-shin and Uranai Baba are still referred to as such occassionally in the Viz shiz.

Izzle.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:54 pm

You forgot a few important characters; the Artificial Humans. Jinzouningen has been translated as Artificial Human in the DVDs. Viz opted to go with calling them Androids.

Then you have "Satan City" becoming "Herculeopolis."
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]