Herms' Guide Guide (Collection of Information Awesomeness)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Herms' Guide Guide (Collection of Information Awesomenes

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:42 pm

You know, I really wish that Daizenshuu 7 had included the date of when Tenshinhan and Chaozu met up/joined the Tsuru-sen School in their timeline. They have dates for when Kuririn entered Orin Temple (although that was supported in the manga) and when Yamcha and Pu'ar met, but nothing for Tenshinhan and Chaozu prior to their introduction in the series.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:44 am

This never got resolved:
Herms wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:
Herms wrote:Chapter: 460 (DBZ 266), P4.1-5
Context: before Gohan fires the Kamehameha at Boo’s ball
Gohan: “An-anyhow, I’ve gone and reached my full power, so…At the very least…Uaaaah! I’ll offer this much resistance!”
Wasn't it Boo, who had reached his full power?
Looking at it again, I think you're right. There's no pronoun to clarify exactly who has reached full power, but in context it probably makes more sense to assume Gohan's talking about Boo. For one thing, he uses the English phrase 'full power', which is how Babidi was describing Boo, but not how Goku, Gohan, or Kaioshin described Gohan's full power (they used Japanese terms like zenryoku or jitsuryoku). Anyone know what Simmons' subs say here?
what Simmon's subs say.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:28 am

Well I guess that settles it. I've gone and changed it.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:55 am

Herms wrote:Well I guess that settles it. I've gone and changed it.
That's good to hear :)

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:15 pm

Herms wrote:Planets don't have hearts
You monster.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:42 pm

Oh yeah another one concerning the strength checker:
This is what viz' version states:

Chapter: 449 (DBZ 255), P14.3
Context: after Vegeta kills Pui-Pui
Bobiddi: “How could Earthlings have so much power?!"
Dabra: "They weren't like this when I checked 300 years ago..."
http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/731/185at.jpg

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shoryuken » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:45 am

Would it not be a good idea to include the "Herms' Huge Project" thread to the list of shortcuts?
これはシグネチャではない
Personal blog - myriadleaves.eu

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:28 am

Shoryuken wrote:Would it not be a good idea to include the "Herms' Huge Project" thread to the list of shortcuts?
It already is included:

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:36 pm

You've really outdone yourself this time Herms. These things are all a really good read and have cleared up many things I've been wondering about for years! Thanks so much.

Will you add all this to your Kanzentai website too?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:14 pm

It seems that, in your Strength Checker thread, you call General Blue "Commander Blue". I assume this is an error, as I don't recall any instance in the manga in which Blue, or for that matter, anyone in the Red Ribbon Army other than Red, was referred to as a commander.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:53 pm

SylentEcho wrote:Will you add all this to your Kanzentai website too?
That's the plan, but it's been slow going so far. As of now, two of them have been made into "mini DB guides" on Kanzentai, and a few of them went into the Kanzentai Battle Power Guide.
Piccolo Daimao wrote:It seems that, in your Strength Checker thread, you call General Blue "Commander Blue". I assume this is an error, as I don't recall any instance in the manga in which Blue, or for that matter, anyone in the Red Ribbon Army other than Red, was referred to as a commander.
That part of the manga was handled by Cold Skin, who was translating the lines from the French kanzenban into English. So I'd assume that's just a side effect of Blue's title being translated from Japanese to French and from French into English. That's also why the names of whoever says a line are written all in caps during that part; it was Cold Skin's style and I didn't bother to change it. I want to eventually revamp/update the Strength Checker and I'll try to better unify the name translations and whatnot then.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:55 pm

Herms wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:It seems that, in your Strength Checker thread, you call General Blue "Commander Blue". I assume this is an error, as I don't recall any instance in the manga in which Blue, or for that matter, anyone in the Red Ribbon Army other than Red, was referred to as a commander.
That part of the manga was handled by Cold Skin, who was translating the lines from the French kanzenban into English. So I'd assume that's just a side effect of Blue's title being translated from Japanese to French and from French into English. That's also why the names of whoever says a line are written all in caps during that part; it was Cold Skin's style and I didn't bother to change it. I want to eventually revamp/update the Strength Checker and I'll try to better unify the name translations and whatnot then.
OK, cool.

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:55 pm

Updated with the Saiyan History 101 and Journey to the Rest threads, as well as a note on how the Intended Endings guide is now up on Kanzentai and a podcast episode.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:45 am

Nice. I would like to see some more articles such as these. They're very interesting reads. :)

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:10 am

I've always wondered if somebody at Funimation new about the information on Jhees and Sauzer. Both Jhees and Sauzer have accents in the Funi dub and apparently they come from the same galaxy and Sauzer comes from Planet Brench which is named after French. And what accent did Funi happen to give Sauzer?

Herms

Post by Herms » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:21 pm

All the guides that aren't already locked anyway now begin with a message noting that all comments should be posted here in this sticky thread rather than the old threads themselves. I've also added notes to the first post about the "Toriyama's Contributions to the Anime" guide now being a page on Kanzentai, and included a link to part two of the "Toriyama's Intended Endings" podcast.

SuperForteX
Banned

Post by SuperForteX » Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 am

I'm just so paranoid the DaizEx fourms may dump the archives one day... are the guides contained in this thread backed up? This is too valuable! Such a treasure trove of information, unlike any ever before released... I'm in utter awe every day I read a new guide and find something new out about DB. The saddest part is, I only have 3 guides left to go until it's finished.

Then I'll eagerly await Herm's next guide :)

p.s. the Saiyan History 101 guide was my favorite one yet... and I had made such a big post asking all about the history, when i didn't know your guide existed! Read the stickies, thats what boardlings say :)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 04, 2011 11:03 am

Nothing's going anywhere. We've stated pretty often that the forum is usually our test-bed for Daizenshuu EX + Kanzentai sections, and with giant plans to bring even more awesomeness to the community, there really are no worries.

I also fully believe that this forum will out-live me, so my children's children will be quoting terrible things that Julian said about me, causing mass riots in 200 years.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed May 04, 2011 12:32 pm

I pretty much always write these things in a Word document and save them there before posting, since I generally don't write them all in one sitting. So I've always got those if nothing else.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Tue May 10, 2011 7:24 pm

Wow these guides are pretty awesome. As most of the guidebooks such as the Daizenshuu are rare here in the west, I hope these guides can be made sections of the main kanzentai and/or Daizensuu EX sites one day. Dragoball fanpages back in the day used to have all sorts of information sections about characters, abilities, etc but they were rife with errors. Sadly a lot of this fan speculation becomes dogmatic overtime as shown on the Dragonball wiki sites. Some fansites I used to see actually did have some accurate info along with healthy speculation on things not answered in the guidebooks (such as DBZGTN and our own member "SSJ Kenshi's" SSJ guides) but sadly they are gone now.