Dragon Ball Z Being Re-edited and Re-dubbed for HDTV

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:39 pm

Raki wrote:
Chuquita wrote:http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -may-11-17

It's at a 9.3; that's a touch higher up there than last week.
Japan loves their Dragonball oh so much.

They do indeed. :D

And I <3 it too.

It came in again at 9.3 for the following week and actually beat out One Piece. O_O (Or rather, they're tied, but Kai is listed above it at #5 with OP at #6 so I guess they both got 9.3 only Kai had like 9.34 and OP had 9.33 or something?).

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -may-25-31
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:03 am

Hey guys

We got a new rumor to discuss...

Looks like Dragon Ball Kai will be 50 episodes according to this site

http://myanimelist.net/anime/6033/Dragon_Ball_Kai
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:07 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:Hey guys

There's nothing to discuss, that site is retarded.

"Well I've seen thiiiiis many animes!"
"Well my penis is thiiiiiiis big!"

"eveyone fucking knows Dragonball Z would have been great with an entire Rock/Metal soundtrack, not this crap."

What the fuck is this shit?
Last edited by The Time Traveller on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 am

Random Fansite?
What's their source?

Yeah, not believing this

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:26 am

I was told about it by a Super Shadow from another forum

If you really think about it, how the hell will they be able to make 291 episodes to 50?! The 100 episodes rumor sounds more plausable than that...!!

Sure, 13 episodes from kai has covered 30 episodes from Z, but it's still doesn't get into my mind...!!
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:25 am

You can discuss my site www.dragonball-kai.ic.cz it's in czech language. I can make it in english version, but you can find lot of news I have as well on daizex or kanzentai and it's far from complete and I'm not good at making webs either, so, c'mon, tell me some critics :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:48 am

In the blurb to the right of the Kai image, it says 100 episodes, while the stats below the Kai image says 50.

Just thought I'd point out that conflict.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:17 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:I was told about it by a Super Shadow from another forum
Well, that explains everything...
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:05 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:Looks like Dragon Ball Kai will be 50 episodes according to this site

Like Kendamu said, the blurb to the right says "around 100 episodes". I think the 50 episodes may have come from the Blu-ray announcement, which lists the release of at least 50 episodes. This gives us confirmation that there will be at least 50 episodes. It'd be worse if they listed 100 episodes, since that's not confirmed.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:40 am

Yeah, there is no way they can make only 50 episodes out of 291.

The 100 episode rumor is plausible because a few of us did a little math and ended up with 100, some had a few more

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:57 am

The Tori-bot wrote:
Well, that explains everything...
No no... Not that Super Shadow... I meant a Shadow the Headghog guy
Hujio wrote:I think the 50 episodes may have come from the Blu-ray announcement, which lists the release of at least 50 episodes. This gives us confirmation that there will be at least 50 episodes. It'd be worse if they listed 100 episodes, since that's not confirmed.
Even I thought about it... Maybe they thought it's 50 episodes based on the upcoming Blu-ray boxsets that ends with episode 49 for the fourth one.
My Anime List
My Manga List

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:03 pm

Who the hell would take anything on MAL as fact? It's user-generated.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:16 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:Maybe they thought it's 50 episodes based on the upcoming Blu-ray boxsets that ends with episode 49 for the fourth one.
Let me clarify. I'm not saying that they actually think there will only be 50 episodes. I'm saying that they only know that there will be 50 episodes, so that's what they listed. That's all we have confirmation for so far anyway. The Blu-ray releases confirm there will be 49 episodes and the DVD releases confirm there will be 50 episodes, hence we know there will be at least 50 episodes. Albeit, they probably should have listed it as "50+".
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:54 pm

Uhh... SuperShadow hasn't been answered the fans' questions anymore. However, by the explanation by Wikipedia that Lucasfilm staff wont acknowledge him being work under Lucas. But I was suprised that SuperShadow was able to list all episodes of Clone Wars even before they were airing on Cartoon Network. He even has updated for Season 2 and 3, which has led me to this conclusion: Lucasfilm staff are jealous of SuperShadow.

Oh. Yeah. On topic right? It's pretty obviously that it's listed for Kai Boxset releases. It doesnt make sense if DBK is finished within 50 episodes. yes, it's true that there are massively lots of fillers in DBZ but 50 episodes? That's so out of place. It is utterly impossible to be completed in such short amount of time. Be cool. Try to be chillin' til it's the end of world. Or should I say Dragon Ball Kai? 8)

Hey, Hujio. Have your Dragon Ball Kai reviews updated yet?
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:34 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
Uhh... SuperShadow hasn't been answered the fans' questions anymore. However, by the explanation by Wikipedia that Lucasfilm staff wont acknowledge him being work under Lucas. But I was suprised that SuperShadow was able to list all episodes of Clone Wars even before they were airing on Cartoon Network.
I take it you didn't read his response.
DragonBallKaiHD wrote:He even has updated for Season 2 and 3, which has led me to this conclusion: Lucasfilm staff are jealous of SuperShadow.
The above has led me to this conclusion: Olivier Hague was right.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:38 pm

I don't want to get way off topic but...What was he right about?

Also what did he mean when he said 'Boxset'? I thought japanese series didn't have box sets

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:22 am

This seems to be the all-purpose general Kai thread, and since I just recently caught up with most of the episodes, I'll post my overall thoughts here.

In a word - disappointing. I really wanted to like this series, but I just can't muster any excitement over it anymore. While it seems pretty okay at first glance, what kills it for me isn't one big problem like censorship, it's a bunch of small stuff that combine into one big ball of crap.

First, the pacing. I realise that's the selling point of the show, but it's all over the place. Sometimes it ruins the emotional impact of the scene, like in the case of Piccolo's death, or Chaozu's sacrifise, to which they included a flashback IN THE SAME EPISODE. Sometimes it makes the fight scenes go by too quickly - filler isn't bad when in consists of punching people in the face (although that may be my faulty memory talking).And sometimes it just looks silly - like when Nappa deflected Gohan's blast, they did about 6 cuts in 2 second.

Then there's the animation. Yeah, I know it's a 20 year-old show. That's not the problem. Sometimes it's distracting when they combine a bunch of episodes done by different studios, and the quality changes midway, but whatever, it can't be helped. No, the real issue here are the cheap tricks Toei uses to make the animation look less dated - the redrawn Flash-animated crap, and the weird "ghosting" effect that is supposed to make the motion seem more fluid. It fails in all respects and actually looks worse than DBZ ever did. It utterly ruined some scenes for me, especially the Galick-Gun vs Kamehameha one. On the other hand, when they refrain from doing this, it ends up looking so much better (i.e. the first half of Goku vs Nappa fight or 3xKaioken Goku vs Vegeta). They should just leave it alone.

Third - the voice acting. It's pretty solid overall, and I actually prefer new actors for Tenshinhan and Nappa to the old ones (and I feel kinda bad for saying this :( ). But here are exceptions. Ryo Horikawa is awesome for the most part, but when the scene calls for angry Vegeta (see: the entirety of episode 14) he falls flat compared to his original performance. I guess it's the age, and the fact he performs some of these lines for the 30th time. Yajirobe's voice, on the other hand, sounds dumb all-around. But the real cream of the crop of the crap would be Nozawa's Gohan. She tries to make him so high-pitched and cute, that he ends up sounding like a retarded baby. There is one scene in particular, in episode 8 or 9, where Gohan is shocked after Chaozu's death. And he goes "Goo-goo-goo, nya-nya-nya!". This is not what sobbing sounds like. These are not noises actual people make.

And finally, the music. Very "meh". It gets repetitive, beacuse there are too little pieces, and they're too similar to each other. I know Kikuchi had it easier, having more time to compose his soundtrack and being able to reuse pieces for the music and original DB, but still. It reminds me of the Saban dub score - this droning background noise that doesn't enhance the experience in any way. And it's a pity, because I usually like Yamamoto's music, especially his Super Butoden tunes. I think he tried too hard to emulate Kikuchi's score.

So yeah. Kai - good concept, sloppy execution. Also, this post - too long.
It's party time, Ginyu style!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:25 am

I realize that most of my recent posts in this thread have been purely links-to-weekly-Kai-ratings-in-Japan, and have since mostly stopped doing this, but holy cow Kai came in THIRD PLACE in the latest rankings. :shock:
And I can't just ignore that; it's way too amazing. I have to post.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -29-july-5

It beat out series like Doraemon and Chibi Maruko-chan. And those two are always above everything else in the ratings. :shock:
One Piece has been beaten by Kai before, but they're usually on equal footing ratings-wise.

Craziness.

*Pokes at Toei to make another new db special in the stylings of "Ossu!".* :3
Last edited by Chuquita on Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:32 am

Chuquita wrote:I realize that most of my recent posts in this thread have been purely links-to-weekly-Kai-ratings-in-Japan, and have since mostly stopped doing this, but holy cow Kai came in THIRD PLACE in the latest rankings. :shock:

It beat out series like Doraemon, One Piece, and Chibi Maruko-chan.

Craziness.

You really love "Ossu!" very much, don't you? ^_^
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:45 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I realize that most of my recent posts in this thread have been purely links-to-weekly-Kai-ratings-in-Japan, and have since mostly stopped doing this, but holy cow Kai came in THIRD PLACE in the latest rankings. :shock:

It beat out series like Doraemon, One Piece, and Chibi Maruko-chan.

Craziness.

You really love "Ossu!" very much, don't you? ^_^

Yes. X3
Between Goku's melancholy and him going out of his way to irritate Vegeta as some hilarious 'Be-careful-what-you-wish-for' retribution for Vegeta's obsession with him over the years, the Son family daikon farm, Mark's ridiculously over-the-top hotel, Gohan manipulating Goku into wanting to go to the party, the fact that Vegeta has a brother and never told anyone about it, an actual Vegeta-and-Bulma argument ("marital quarrel" X3 ), the hammer-space frying-pans being made canon, Launch actually meeting Vegeta in an indirect way, and 'Hey Vegeta look over there!'; I had so much enjoyment from it.

It really makes me want a sequel, series, or just another new db special in general.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!