Kai Episode 120 (07 September 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 120 (07 September 2014)

Post by Hujio » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:35 pm

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 120, aired 07 September 2014

愛すべき者のために…誇り高き戦士の最期!
Aisubeki Mono no Tame ni… Hokori Takaki Senshi no Saigo!
For Those Whom He Loves... The Proud Warrior's Death!

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIRED
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Re: Kai Episode 120 (07 September 2014)

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:30 pm

A great episode. The music when Vegeta sacrificed himself was beautiful, and was perhaps the best moment in this series so far. Everything was done really well.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:34 pm

I really liked the 2nd part of this episode. Vegeta's sacrifice was so intense! And the last track was unexpected!
Sad and epic at the same time! Good job!

cloud1414
Beyond Newbie

Post by cloud1414 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:36 pm

That last track, man so much emotion. Great end to the episode.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:36 pm

The best episode since the beginning of the Buu Arc, seriously.I've recorded the end (sorry, my phone sucks!!) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGRIy4o21Vg
Sumitomo-san, I love you man ! :thumbup:

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:42 pm

ShinGaijin wrote:The best episode since the beginning of the Buu Arc, seriously.I've recorded the end (sorry, my phone sucks!!) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGRIy4o21Vg
Sumitomo-san, I love you man ! :thumbup:
Man that was, that was just beautiful. thanks for the clip I am defiantly checking out the episode tomorrow
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:09 pm

Someone please, burn all of Sumitomo Synths and pump money for orchestra!. That's where the dude's talent is at!. Does anyone else get a GT vibe from that soundtrack? :D
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:14 pm

Black_Liger wrote:Someone please, burn all of Sumitomo Synths and pump money for orchestra!. That's where the dude's talent is at!. Does anyone else get a GT vibe from that soundtrack? :D
Now that you mention it is very tokunaga inspired
PSN SonGoku325

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:54 pm

For anyone interested, I ripped vegeta´s sacrifice music, got rid of most of the sound effects except you can hear buu´s and vegeta´s faint screaming.

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/5aaao48 ... losion.mp3

Really, a great piece!.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:58 pm

And here's the HD version of the Grand Finale : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv5D9YVbcCk
This new track is really awesome :o I didn't expect that, really.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:00 pm

ShinGaijin wrote:And here's the HD version of the Grand Finale : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv5D9YVbcCk
This new track is really awesome :o I didn't expect that, really.

:cry: :cry: I really love this track, when the trumpets blast in, I keep feeling the lord´s prayer symphonic music is gonna burst out any moment XD

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:04 pm

Eh...mixed feelings about that last track. On the one hand, DAMN, that was some great orchestral music! On the other hand...it felt a little too triumphant to me, in a moment that was more sad than triumphant. There are some small elements of triumph in the scene, like Vegeta sacrificing himself for his family and for Goku (!), but not enough--in my opinion--to justify triumphant music. This moment is more of a bittersweet sacrifice than a triumphant victory.

So, on the one hand, AWESOME music, but on the other hand, I don't really feel like it fit the tone of the scene.

Still, could have been much worse...I'm glad this scene wasn't ruined by a synthesizer track.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:09 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Still, could have been much worse...I'm glad this scene wasn't ruined by a synthesizer track.
I can hear it now, Vegeta sacrificing himself while the disco theme plays :lol: . These comments have me pretty excited to watch this episode.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:11 pm

Black_Liger wrote:For anyone interested, I ripped vegeta´s sacrifice music, got rid of most of the sound effects except you can hear buu´s and vegeta´s faint screaming.
Really, a great piece!.
Wow thanks man ! :thumbup:
Black_Liger wrote::cry: :cry: I really love this track, when the trumpets blast in, I keep feeling the lord´s prayer symphonic music is gonna burst out any moment XD
Everything has been said, nothing left to say anymore.They also choose to put the Shenron theme from B.O.G, when Vegeta is talking to his son, it fits quite well IMO - if you forget where this track come from.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:14 pm

ShinGaijin wrote:
Black_Liger wrote:For anyone interested, I ripped vegeta´s sacrifice music, got rid of most of the sound effects except you can hear buu´s and vegeta´s faint screaming.
Really, a great piece!.
Wow thanks man ! :thumbup:
Black_Liger wrote::cry: :cry: I really love this track, when the trumpets blast in, I keep feeling the lord´s prayer symphonic music is gonna burst out any moment XD
Everything has been said, nothing left to say anymore.They also choose to put the Shenron theme from B.O.G, when Vegeta is talking to his son, it fits quite well IMO - if you forget where this track come from.
Hey no prob! :D

Which was quite extended. I might think a lot of the tracks made for kai actually made it into BoG if we take it for a fact sumitomo started working on kai before BoG.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:35 am

Just watched the episode. And my god why can't we get more well done episodes like this it was so awesome. The placements this time were amazing
PSN SonGoku325

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:35 am

The piece is good. It stands out from most of Sumitomo's other work in this arc, at least. I'll have to disagree with those who said it feels very Tokunaga-inspired. I don't hear the slightest hint of Tokunaga in there. It feels like it fits right in with Yamamoto's more triumphant Kai music. It's very decent work and I'm glad people here seem to have enjoyed it. The man could have (and has) done far worse.

I happen to think that it really clashes with Vegeta's sacrifice, though. It's too happy, it's too distracting... it's just too "big" for the scene. It triumphantly focuses on Vegeta's change of heart and loses everything else that's going on. This moment is so, SO haunting in Z. Complete background silence. Even Vegeta's scream is muted for part of it. There's just the echo of the explosion as a warrior vanishes into the light.

I feel like Kai makes a more... obvious musical choice? A more juvenile musical choice? I'm not sure what word I'm looking for. It doesn't feel right, though I'd be interested in hearing the same piece featured in different scenes.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:57 am

I FULLY agree with TheBlackPaladin and MagicBox. Vegeta's sacrifice was poorly done. I hate it even more than the disco shit in Goku's return. Absolutely the worst choice in the Buu arc so far.

In Z, M1615 playing while Vegeta's last moment represents his painful preparation, regret, and the great tension of the scene, and the weird, yet beautiful silence after that always makes me feel his life mercilessly burning up in the explosion. It gives me chills so badly.

On the other hand, Kai is a total fail. The obtrusively "emotional" track destroys Vegeta's own feelings and it focuses only on the brave side of his decision from third person point of view. It even drowns out Krillin's moving scream. It's just... fucking WRONG.

I have nothing against the track itself. It just doesn't work here.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:08 am

kei17 wrote:I FULLY agree with TheBlackPaladin and MagicBox. Vegeta's sacrifice was poorly done. I hate it even more than the disco shit in Goku's return. Absolutely the worst choice in the Buu arc so far.

In Z, M1615 playing while Vegeta's last moment represents his painful preparation, regret, and the great tension of the scene, and the weird, yet beautiful silence after that always makes me feel his life mercilessly burning up in the explosion. It gives me chills so badly.

On the other hand, Kai is a total fail. The obtrusively "emotional" track destroys Vegeta's own feelings and it focuses only on the brave side of his decision from third person point of view. It even drowns out Krillin's moving scream. It's just... fucking WRONG.

I have nothing against the track itself. It just doesn't work here.
You guys are being far too harsh on the placement of this week :lol: but atleast we all agree the track itself is really good :thumbup: