What viewing format you would prefer with the season sets.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

What viewing format you would prefer with the season sets.

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:58 pm

As we should all know by now, FUNi are basically implementing a wide-screen format into the DBZ season sets. The main reason for this is to avoid the "Glue" present on their original film source, but also maintaining as much footage as possible while accomplishing this task. Now the way they did it with all their previous releases, they performed a "zoom-in" type solution where their digi-beta masters would be zoomed-in to avoid the present glue, while also maintaining the look of the 4:3 ratio. With this method, we have slightly more on the top and bottom than the season sets will be offering, however it's still being somewhat cropped when comparing to say the Dragonbox...not to mention the very noticeable amount loss of the horizontal sides.

Now as we can clearly see, since FUNi wasn't willing to undergo an extra process that would remove the glue (which they and the remastering company they hired didn't wanna spend considerable amounts of time and money digitally painting over frame-by-frame for all 291 episodes), they chose what they view as the best solution to maintain as much footage as possible with a wide-screen format. Though there is a 16% loss of the top and bottom overall, this solution does also offer some more on the horizontal area than even the Dragonbox does (though yeah, that area's kinda scrappable). Seemingly, this also shouldn't pose a problem for people with only wide-screen televisions, as people with that setup would lose some of the top and bottom of the zoom-in format anyway.

Realizing all this, without delving into a whole "Well I'd rather have glue plastered about than black bars" or "They could've digitally cleaned it up" (because Lord knows we got this thread for that), what would you rather have? A remastered zoom-in 4:3 version, or the remastered wide-screen version we are getting? Keep in mind everyone, this thread is basically just a place to voice personal preference. Let's try not to get into any arguments.

Myself, I prefer this wide-screen treatment.
Last edited by Conan the SSJ on Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14 years later

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:03 pm

Wow, now that I think of it I agree with you. I prefer widescreen.
You must have faith in who you are.

Mystery Person X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystery Person X » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:10 pm

The previous R1 DVDs had quite a bit less missing on the top and bottom than the widescreen version, and also didn't have a huge amount missing on the left and right compared to the R2s. I would have been reasonably happy with a release that looked like that (although it's not ideal), since the losses were fairly minimal overall. Definitely 4:3 for me.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:12 pm

I would much rather have the original 4:3 footage. I know it wouldn't be remastered to the extent that Toei did for the Dragon Boxes, but I'd be much happier with the 4:3 version. I will be picking up this new set, but I'll also be picking up a few more of the Spain DVD's as well. I was actually planning to buy only the Spain re-masters to screw FUNi, but these new sets are cheaper in the long run. I'll just get the episodes I love the most from Spain. The new FUNi sets will certainly ruin a lot of the scenes in DBZ though, there's no avoiding that. :roll:

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:13 pm

Mystery Person X wrote:The previous R1 DVDs had quite a bit less missing on the top and bottom than the widescreen version, and also didn't have a huge amount missing on the left and right compared to the R2s. I would have been reasonably happy with a release that looked like that (although it's not ideal), since the losses were fairly minimal overall. Definitely 4:3 for me.
The R2s have more on the horizontal sides than the previous R1 releases do, as the Dragonbox singles don't do any zooming-in.
SatoSky wrote:I would much rather have the original 4:3 footage. I know it wouldn't be remastered to the extent that Toei did for the Dragon Boxes, but I'd be much happier with the 4:3 version.
The question of this thread is asking would you rather have FUNi's zoom-in 4:3 format or their wide-screen treatment?
Last edited by Conan the SSJ on Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14 years later

Mystery Person X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystery Person X » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:15 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:The R2s have more on the horizontal sides than the previous R1 releases do, as the Dragonbox singles don't do any zooming-in.
Like I said, there is an amount missing, but it's not a huge amount.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:18 pm

Given only those two choices, I would (and have) picked the widescreen version. If I'm going to lose the top and the bottom of the screen in any case, I'd rather get wide screen format out of it.

Of course my ideal option would be that Funimation either:
1. Perform a real remastering, to fix the damage.
2. Liscense Toei's dragonbox remasters for their own.
But then, I think that's what everyone wants.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:24 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:
SatoSky wrote:I would much rather have the original 4:3 footage. I know it wouldn't be remastered to the extent that Toei did for the Dragon Boxes, but I'd be much happier with the 4:3 version.
The question of this thread is asking would you rather have FUNi's zoom-in 4:3 format or their wide-screen treatment?
Oh my bad... Well I would rather have their slightly zoomed in 4:3 version. The extra footage on the sides in this new set is just throw away footage anyway, an extra cloud or mountain here and there is not going to add to my entertainment.

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:26 pm

But Funi picked these screencaps very carefully to insist their belief that widescreen is better. Many other screens we see more important things being cropped off at the top and often things like trees added to the sides. :?
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:11 pm

If the choices are "cut out the top and both sides" or "just cut out the top" we'd all go for the widescreen - we're just not happy about the fact we have to have shit cut off.

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:22 pm

I, personally, prefer either FUNi's 4:3 footage. But... the price for the amount of episodes, uncut, and with multiple audio features... I really don't mind this style of release at all. It's easier on my wallet. At the very least, what video will be present on the release should look a lot cleaner and less saturated.

So far, I plan on buying all the season sets so far. We'll see what happens down the road though.

My verdict? I prefer 4:3, but 16:9 I don't mind too much.

- Bilis
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:36 am

desirecampbell wrote:If the choices are "cut out the top and both sides" or "just cut out the top" we'd all go for the widescreen - we're just not happy about the fact we have to have shit cut off.
What he said :wink:
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:01 am

Personally I'd have preferred 4:3. However, if I like how this 16:9 set turns out I may end up having DBZ in 2 formats in the end.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:10 am

Since I have DBZ in NO format at all I think I will settle for these widescreen sets. However any red blooded fan would probably prefer 4:3 over 16:9 any day. I'm pretty much saying the general consensus around here. *sigh* I remember the days when I added new opinions to threads... :lol: :roll:

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:29 am

Have you guys all seen the new DBZ site layout? www.dragonballz.com

It's orange!
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:13 am

BrollysKin wrote:Have you guys all seen the new DBZ site layout? www.dragonballz.com

It's orange!
Mango orange. @_@ Hurts my eyes.

As for OT, I'd rather have the widescreen as an option instead of mandatory.

The "dub voices with japanese music" is what actually intregues me more. If I were to purchase one of Funi's new super-sets I think I'll wait around until they come out with the one for the Buu episodes. They were the first episodes I saw in japanese and it'd be really interesting to hear how that sounds.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:07 am

I choose neither and instead want Funi to do it the way the Dragonboxes did it and if that's not possible then at least leave the format the way it was before in the previous releases.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

mister yummy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mister yummy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:25 am

4:3 for me any day. Am I the oly one hoping these season sets fail miserably, and they resume the UUC? At least 'll be able to get everything from thr Ginyu Saga on cheaper now. I'm not going to buy it widescreen, so I may never get to see the Saiya-jin Saga and the Namek Saga in Japanese with decent subtitles :-(

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:05 am

If I had to pick I'd say the widescreen, myself I have DVD's that show the whole damn thing. So really... go with what you like. :lol:
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

future_trunks
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by future_trunks » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:57 am

I'm accually really exited for widescreen, so I suppose I'll be buying it if I have the money for it. I know some parts won't be great quality but I don't care. Give me my widescreen!!!!

-Brian
Cuz you're an ocean, you're an ocean, settle down settle down what's the commotion?