"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Boo Machine » Tue May 09, 2017 10:58 pm

Freeza9000 wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:I assume most of the hatred comes from Trunks, but I didn't really care how cheesy and nonsense it might have been. Trunks deserved to get the win. (At the time when it seemed like he had actually gotten the win anyway) It was fitting, it was beautiful, and it was epic. I FELT a thing. I believed it! I don't care about power scaling all that much. I feel it's one of the least important aspects in what makes a good Dragonball story. I can fill in blanks on my own if I have enough information and I feel like I did.
It was still a scene full of such nonsensical writing that not even the scenery, music, and animation can save it from. Hell, in the next episode (though I think it's a way better ending than Ep. 66), Trunks's Genki Dama BS is rendered all the more stupid when Trunks's timeline ended up in oblivion. And this isn't all about power levels or power scaling. It's about having a consistent story that makes sense. This doesn't just apply to DB, but to storytelling in general. Consistency is something important and crucial to forming a good story.
Then it's just a matter of how much you're willing to tolerate to see what you want. As I've stated I don't care how nonsensical it was. I liked it. And though the next episode renders it kinda pointless, that's more of a strike towards the arc as a whole and not to the episode itself. I've enjoyed plenty of shows, books, and straight up other dragonball series that had some inconsistency to it. If the Occasional inconsistency bothered me I wouldn't enjoy Dragonball. Power scaling has rarely been consistent and always jumps around depending on what the author wants to do. Assuming we're talking about Power scaling when it comes to consistency. I'm dumb and rarely understand what people mean when they say consistency. It's a word I see thrown around a lot but I hardly see it elaborated on. I need things explained to me like I'm 5.

Anywho, I'm not trying to sell you on the episode. If you don't like it that's completely valid. I've already acknowledged the flaws here and many other times.
Last edited by Boo Machine on Tue May 09, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue May 09, 2017 10:59 pm

Freeza9000 wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:I assume most of the hatred comes from Trunks, but I didn't really care how cheesy and nonsense it might have been. Trunks deserved to get the win. (At the time when it seemed like he had actually gotten the win anyway) It was fitting, it was beautiful, and it was epic. I FELT a thing. I believed it! I don't care about power scaling all that much. I feel it's one of the least important aspects in what makes a good Dragonball story. I can fill in blanks on my own if I have enough information and I feel like I did.
It was still a scene full of such nonsensical writing that not even the scenery, music, and animation can save it from. Hell, in the next episode (though I think it's a way better ending than Ep. 66), Trunks's Genki Dama BS is rendered all the more stupid when Trunks's timeline ended up in oblivion. And this isn't just all about power levels or power scaling. It's about having a consistent story that makes sense. This doesn't just apply to DB, but to storytelling in general. Consistency is something important and crucial to forming a good story.
The only thing questionable to me was the Spirit Bomb and even I like it for a symbolic point of view. Mortals coming together to save themselves.

You can hate the episode, but I liked t from jumped and found amusement watching his forum set itself on fire over it. The fandom it at its best when it's having a meltdown.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Tue May 09, 2017 11:27 pm

HeroR wrote:
Freeza9000 wrote:
It was still a scene full of such nonsensical writing that not even the scenery, music, and animation can save it from. Hell, in the next episode (though I think it's a way better ending than Ep. 66), Trunks's Genki Dama BS is rendered all the more stupid when Trunks's timeline ended up in oblivion. And this isn't just all about power levels or power scaling. It's about having a consistent story that makes sense. This doesn't just apply to DB, but to storytelling in general. Consistency is something important and crucial to forming a good story.
The only thing questionable to me was the Spirit Bomb and even I like it for a symbolic point of view. Mortals coming together to save themselves.

You can hate the episode, but I liked t from jumped and found amusement watching his forum set itself on fire over it. The fandom it at its best when it's having a meltdown.
You mean like now?

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Tue May 09, 2017 11:43 pm

More spoilers, looks like Gohan is going to fight Super saiyan blue Goku.

So power scalers skip this episode.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed May 10, 2017 12:10 am

Totamo wrote: You mean like now?
Pretty much. I still maintain Piccolo vs Frost and Episode 66 were bigger than this.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Wed May 10, 2017 12:16 am

TheRed259 wrote:According to this page, someone from Japan posted on his Twitter account a picture from episode 100. (google translate)
Now that's interesting. Is Goku protecting Cabba from someone?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed May 10, 2017 12:18 am

MagmonKai wrote:
TheRed259 wrote:According to this page, someone from Japan posted on his Twitter account a picture from episode 100. (google translate)
Now that's interesting. Is Goku protecting Cabba from someone?
I doubt they're 10 episodes ahead of schedule so this most likely fake.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed May 10, 2017 12:18 am

How is that even possible? No way Toei would be so far ahead. :|
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed May 10, 2017 12:19 am

I call fake.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Wed May 10, 2017 12:21 am

Totamo wrote:More spoilers, looks like Gohan is going to fight Super saiyan blue Goku.

So power scalers skip this episode.
This is insane. First Buu being replaced with Freeza now, Gohan is on God Level? Stay tuned!

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Wed May 10, 2017 12:22 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
I call fake.
People called the Freeza thing fake too. Look at how that turned out? I'm not sure though, I mean look at the background it doesn't look like the tournament stage.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed May 10, 2017 12:25 am

MagmonKai wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
I call fake.
People called the Freeza thing fake too. Look at how that turned out? I'm not sure though, I mean look at the background it doesn't look like the tournament stage.
It's obviously photoshopped, has a potatocam filter over it, and typical episodes aren't produced 10 weeks in advance. It's fake. I don't even know how you could compare it to the spoilers.
Retired.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed May 10, 2017 12:26 am

MagmonKai wrote:
An image from an episode that won't air for over 10 weeks seems highly unlikely for Super.

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Wed May 10, 2017 12:31 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
MagmonKai wrote:

An image from an episode that won't air for over 10 weeks seems highly unlikely for Super.

For any series.

I have not seen a single series where a image popped that was the very most 5 episodes ahead.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Wed May 10, 2017 12:31 am

There's no way Dragon Ball Super can be that ahead in terms of schedule. That alone makes that episode 100 image fake.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Wed May 10, 2017 12:32 am

Fair enough, I mean I'm not saying it's legit or anything the background looks like something from an early episode.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed May 10, 2017 12:54 am

It looks like a blurred shot from that Hit mini arc a while back.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Wed May 10, 2017 1:53 am

MagmonKai wrote:Fair enough, I mean I'm not saying it's legit or anything the background looks like something from an early episode.
That background looks like that "haunted" dark planet in which Freeza trained/tortured Tagoma back in the ROF arc.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed May 10, 2017 4:30 am

Cipher wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:Or Ya Boy Yamcha is in for one of the biggest twists of the knife life could ever give him, on par with his ex-girlfriend shacking up with the guy responsible for his death.

One of his oldest friends is about to turn to one of the most evil villains in the entire DB Universe for help over him.
Why at this point would Yamcha, or anyone, be surprised that Goku essentially loves his rivals more than his family and friends? The same Goku who gave Piccolo a Senzu, who spared Vegeta so he could fight him again, who attempted to let Freeza go twice, who tossed Cell a Senzu and took a wait-and-see approach with Boo, who's tried to get chummy with killers like Beerus and Hit? Also the same Goku who has always been willing, from arguing with Kuririn and Kaio over his interests in fighting Vegeta and Freeza to threatening Kaioshin and ignoring Gohan, to put his relationships with his friends on the line in order to do so?

Twist of the knife? It's just the emotional hazard of being Goku's friend.
That is true but I think this is kind of going one step beyond his normal selfish behavior. In all those situations Goku was very selfish and certainly not thinking of others well being, but think about Goku as asked literally all his other warrior chums to join and Yamcha, the poor dolt, is sitting at home expecting his old friend to at least come an ask him. Before hand Goku had a full team of people stronger then him and are their friends, so fair play on Goku's part. But how would you feel if a good friend say resurrected Hitler or Stalin for help and didnt even ask you? This whole idea will likely be negated when they talk about who to replace Buu and by pure logic someone will suggest him and Goku disagrees, then it aint so bad because at least they though of him...if they dont however well you cant tell me poor Yamcha will feel something almost as painful as ht felt when he found out Bulma was pregnant with Vegeta's child. Although lets be fair a lot of these situations are partly Yamcha's fault, he did messed Bulma around and his attitude towards training and fighting has really diminished over they years to the point were really its a bit obnoxious of him to just assume they would want his help.

Now I'm in the "yay Frieza" group but I still feel a bit sorry for this groups Omega Male.