Remastered DVD's VS Dragon Box quality comparison thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:42 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:Or is it because I said that if you adjust the sharpness and color/brightness that you can get your FUNimation footage to look like Dragon Box? Because that's frickin true first of all.
It is. I can also make any Sega Genesis game look better than anything on the PS3 by turning up the sharpness really high. It's awesome.

Really frickin high.

-Corey
This is the best exchange ever; I hope it isn't to big for my sig. On topic I knew this thread would turn into a shit storm as soon as the orange bricks were mentioned. I'm not 100% why we needed to compare these two things once more.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:45 pm

I don't think anyone is praising the "orange brick" around here lol That's not why it's blown up. I don't even know why it's blown up. Just people picking me out around here, and I don't even know what for really. But isn't this Thread about comparing FUNimation's comedy release to the Dragon Box?

And thanks so much SatoSky :)

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:52 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:But isn't this Thread about comparing FUNimation's comedy release to the Dragon Box?
Yeah but it's almost to the point where this whole thing seems like people are comparing apples and oranges. Only people can't stop comparing them. Then they bring about two dozen oranges and apples and lay them on the table for everyone to feast their eyes on how different they are. Only one or two apples and one or two oranges would have been sufficient to get a comparison and leave it be. My point is this whole thing is getting really old and comparing these things almost seems pointless to me. This topic seems to just be a circle jerk on how good the Dragonbox is.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:53 pm

Greatness,why are you talking back to the Webmaster? He freakin pays for the server,so if what you are saying is getting on the man's nerves, please apologize and be quiet.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:54 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Why anyone is trying to take frame-accurate screen-caps in anything that doesn't allow you to progress frame-by-frame is beyond me...
That's why I'm Using Media Player Classic.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:55 pm

Well I apologized. And I appreciate the fact that VegettoEX has the best Dragon Ball site of all time. And I appreciate the fact that I get to come here and talk about the best anime of all time (in MY opinion). But I wasn't talking back as much as I was asking just what it is that he seems to have a problem with. Again, I apologized and extended the proverbial olive branch to him as well.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:00 pm

You don't have to read the thread, you know? If you think it's pointless/redundant just ignore it altogether. I'm not trying to 'flame' you or anything like that, just my opinion. I stopped reading the Live Action thread bacause a lot of the posts were starting get ridiculously retarded, well I thought so anyway.

Some people like looking at comparison shots between all the releases, I'm one of them. Does it get old? Sure it does. But it's all a matter of opinion.
Raki wrote:Greatness,why are you talking back to the Webmaster? He freakin pays for the server,so if what you are saying is getting on the man's nerves, please apologize and be quiet.
I thought that one "Josh" guy hosted the forums for free?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:02 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Well I apologized. And I appreciate the fact that VegettoEX has the best Dragon Ball site of all time. And I appreciate the fact that I get to come here and talk about the best anime of all time (in MY opinion). But I wasn't talking back as much as I was asking just what it is that he seems to have a problem with. Again, I apologized and extended the proverbial olive branch to him as well.
Yet you still committed the cardinal sin of actually defending the Season Sets. Such is unforgivable. Now you have to wear a Scarlet "T" on your torso.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:04 pm

... I never defended them. Damn. Do I have to really say it? I'm saying I'm going to keep buying them to have 2 versions. I'm saying that the overscan looks pretty much similar to the cropping on my TV. I never said that I like the Season Sets. And to call it a cardinal sin to begin with, is just funny. See I just call it like I see it. What's the problem?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:06 pm

I was poking fun. As usual.

The "T" stands for "target," by the way.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:08 pm

I guess I have to wear the T, cuz I've defended them in the past. Not as bad as some people, but still. TT_TT
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:08 pm

lol I realized. Anyways. I hope that everything's all cool now. Anyways, this Thread is all about taking the "Remastered" (notice the quites, notice the damn quotes!!! lol) and comparing them to the Dragon Box. So it should be about taking pictures of both. I particularly enjoy the pictures too. It just lets you see first hand.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:43 pm

TheGreatness25, I don't know about anyone else, but the reason I sometimes pick apart your posts is because, frankly, you say a lot of ridiculous, unsubstantiated things.

And it just so happens that I am Rachel, Defender of Truth and Accuracy. I cannot allow baseless claims and misinformation to go uncorrected. I must deliver punishment to all evildoers who do not do their research and mislead others. It is both my duty... and my curse......

[Insert photoshopping of my head pasted onto Great Saiyaman's body]
-Rachel

SSJToreto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJToreto » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:28 am

Okay here's more pics for y'all! :)

Dragon Box VOL.2 Episode 11

remastered

Dragon Box

remastered

Dragon Box

remastered

Dragon Box

remastered

Dragon Box

remastered

Dragon Box

Oh, if you're wondering why I'm posting pic's from random episode's without any order, it's because this was the episode I was currently wacthing and decided to take pic's. :wink:

pledge

Post by pledge » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:44 am

^form those pics the remastered version looks way better than the dragon boxes.

SSJToreto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJToreto » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:56 am

pledge wrote:^form those pics the remastered version looks way better than the dragon boxes.
In what way? :?

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:20 am

SSJToreto wrote:
pledge wrote:^form those pics the remastered version looks way better than the dragon boxes.
Kids like bright shiny colours :P

This whole season set/Dragonbox comparison has been done to death, I personally would really like to see some comparisons between the Funi DB releases and the DB Dragonbox.

(I would mostly like to see the natural colours, because it took a lot of tinkering with my tv to stop the colours from searing my retinas)

pledge

Post by pledge » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:52 am

^ i know youre joking, but I'm far from a kid.
SSJToreto wrote:
personal taste, but i think in those shots the dragon box looks dull in comparison. the remastered images have a crisper look with a better contrast. obviously you think the dragon boxes look better, so let me ask the same question you asked me. from those images, in what way are the dragon box ones better? then again, that is just from those shots, i'd have to see actual footage to make a proper comparison.

but lets face it, when colours are enhanced (to a tolerable extent), it makes things more attractive. unless you are trying to pull off something gritty like batman, but cmon..this is dragon ball z. there are a lot of colours and imo enhancing them and making them stand out more is better aesthetically.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:12 am

All:

You are expected to type properly on this forum, as you agreed to in the forum rules.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:44 am

SSJToreto wrote:
I'm curious about what way as well. So far, I've not seen anyone that actually OWNS both the DragonBoxes and the widescreen releases to side on the widescreen releases (in terms of audio/video quality... in terms of subtitles, FUNIs releases are fantastic compared to ALL versions).

Its also one thing to see it in a picture, but its another to see it in motion (for us that own both).
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.