"Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion (incl. "DB Minus")

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: "Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion thread (DB–11?)

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:09 pm

Hmm, chapter 2 is out with Shonen Jump now.

The series as a whole definitely has this slow pacing so far, but it's still interesting to me. With only 11 chapters being released, it feels like Toriyama knows he doesn't need to hook you with immediate action to keep you interested and keep the series running. He wants to keep you occupied with his typical humor while he works at his own pace to build things up and pull you in slowly each week until the final reveal. I'm enjoying the ride too.
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:27 pm

So... the government guy is General Blue's long lost brother, Samuel, who looks like Obotchaman :lol:

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:38 pm

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:46 pm

TheRed259 wrote:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:06 pm

My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Mousey

Post by Mousey » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:20 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Hmm, chapter 2 is out with Shonen Jump now.

The series as a whole definitely has this slow pacing so far, but it's still interesting to me. With only 11 chapters being released, it feels like Toriyama knows he doesn't need to hook you with immediate action to keep you interested and keep the series running. He wants to keep you occupied with his typical humor while he works at his own pace to build things up and pull you in slowly each week until the final reveal. I'm enjoying the ride too.

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion thread (DB–10)

Post by DBZfan29 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:12 pm

I think I read that some of you think Omori looks like Gero, then I read that the Galactic Patrol uses flies to track the humans. What if Omori actually works for the Red Ribbon Army, and the loss of his wife makes him crazy enough to have a huge grudge on Goku?

Also, have any of you seen Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino? I'm noticing a similarity between Clint's character and Omori. They both have lost their wives and they really hate people until a foreigner (a Hmong boy and an alien) change their views on the world. I can totally see Omori sacrificing his own life in the past if he gets to time travel, much like Clint's character does to save his new friends.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:53 am

I do not think Omori is supposed to become Dr. Gero because Omari has scars on the back of his head and across his right eye, but Dr. Gero does not...further, Dr. Gero has a maine of white hair, and Omari does not.
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:12 am

Kakarot88 wrote:I do not think Omori is supposed to become Dr. Gero because Omari has scars on the back of his head and across his right eye, but Dr. Gero does not...further, Dr. Gero has a maine of white hair, and Omari does not.
But we only see Gero as a robot with a human's brain transplanted onto it; the scars on Omori's head are the best argument for that theory.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:19 am

B wrote:
Kakarot88 wrote:I do not think Omori is supposed to become Dr. Gero because Omari has scars on the back of his head and across his right eye, but Dr. Gero does not...further, Dr. Gero has a maine of white hair, and Omari does not.

But we only see Gero as a robot with a human's brain transplanted onto it; the scars on Omori's head are the best argument for that theory.

I thought Gero tinkered with his own body via No. 19. Maybe the translation is wrong but No. 18 in the manga recognizes Gero upon being awakened and then asks him if he too has become an artificial human and he says yes he wanted eternal life. I always took that to mean that because they visually recognized him (since he has no ki as an android) that necessarily means he tinkered with his own body. Therefore No. 20 is the tinkered body of Gero thanks to the help of No. 19 which he tells No. 17 is who helped him...and why that marters is: if No. 20 is indeed the tinkered body of Gero and Gero has no scars but Omari does then that means Omari is either not Gero or No. 19 gave Omari/Gero a make over lol.
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:46 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
TheRed259 wrote:
Y'all are assuming that is how time travel works rather than how Trunks's time machine works. It is possible that Bulmas invention creates these alternate realities whereas another machine would not.

How I enjoy the anime:

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:18 am

Kakarot88 wrote:Y'all are assuming that is how time travel works rather than how Trunks's time machine works. It is possible that Bulmas invention creates these alternate realities whereas another machine would not.
I'm not assuming anything, i'm taking this with the support of evidence from all over the franchise. Even Dragon Ball Online follows this too. Miira steals the Kaiojikan's Time Pass, and he and the Time Breakers go back in time and wreak havoc with known events, causing timelines to split. This happens with or without Trunks, or his time machine, present.

As for Dr. Gero, we see his human form multiple times. I'm pretty sure he has a couple flashback appearances in the anime, and those all stem from Toriyama's human design for him on the Jinzoningen ABC title page:
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hunterxhunter21
Beyond Newbie

Post by hunterxhunter21 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:30 am

I was re-reading Dragon Ball vol 1 and found this ship in I think chapter 3. So I'm gonna toss some theories I haven't seen anyone bring up yet. I'm on my phone so please excuse any typos.

There are some similarities to Jaco's ship.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence. Maybe the end Jaco sees that Goku isn't a threat after he bumps his head, but lets everyone know he will be keeping an eye on them.

Or maybe Jaco decides to stay on Earth with his new friend Omori. In chapter 1 Jaco says "It took four hours for the language text data to be input into my brain". This comes off kinda like a robot. Jaco is a really a robot made by the GP to handle small problems. Jaco shows him how he was made and gives Earth all this new technology. Omori shares it with the scientific community. Jaco gets called off for something important or Omori dies and this is why he is shown leaving in vol 1 of DB. This is how Gero learns to make Androids and the bug spies. When does Dr Slump take place? Could this info have been used by Senbei to make Arale? Jaco's dooms day device http://i.imgur.com/mjwg3WO.jpg looks like a capsule http://i.imgur.com/deTK4iD.jpg. Dr Brief uses this technology to make capsules. Omori's time machine data is also shared with a select few, Brief being one of them. He understand he can't use this technology and stores it away. Later Bulma finds it and uses this info for her time machine.
Dragon Ball Famicon/Super Famicom game scans : HERE

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:36 am

When I said "I think" or "maybe it's the translation error" etc I am being polite when disagreeing...to me Gero's lack of scars alone prove Omari is not Gero...unless Omari has a make over at some point and becomes Gero.

All those games etc also assume that is how time travel works rather than that being just how the machine itself works. Trunks's machine actually may for all we know only travel across dimensions and is in fact not really time travel at all as apparently that is "forbidden."

Maybe saying "assumed" came off as abrasive, that was not my intent.

How I enjoy the anime:

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:08 am

Kakarot88 wrote:All those games etc also assume that is how time travel works rather than that being just how the machine itself works. Trunks's machine actually may for all we know only travel across dimensions and is in fact not really time travel at all as apparently that is "forbidden."
DBO's plot...actually everything in the game (story, designs, attacks etc), is overseen directly by Toriyama and needs him to sign off on it before it can be included. If that wasn't how he intended it to work, then it would have never made it in. Toriyama has repeatedly said he makes his works easy for everyone to understand, including young kids; the target audience. The DB manga also explicitly states multiple times that Trunks' traveled through time and that changing the past causes splits. There is no reason to believe the device or mechanics of time travel function in any other method that what has been both shown and told to us.

As for Jaco and the "forbidden" time travel plot point, the series isn't over yet. Maybe the end of the story has time travel being made legal. Perhaps Trunks' does eventually get in "trouble" with the Galactic Patrol in his own timeline (assuming it was't wiped out or something...plus what are they going to do to someone as strong as Trunks if the patrol doesn't have the power to oppose normal Saiyans or Freeza?). We'll just have to wait and see where it goes first.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:16 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Kakarot88 wrote:All those games etc also assume that is how time travel works rather than that being just how the machine itself works. Trunks's machine actually may for all we know only travel across dimensions and is in fact not really time travel at all as apparently that is "forbidden."
DBO's plot...actually everything in the game (story, designs, attacks etc), is overseen directly by Toriyama and needs him to sign off on it before it can be included. If that wasn't how he intended it to work, then it would have never made it in.
I've heard that line before and listened to the podcast about it and sounds like a lie people spread with no substance, although you may have something legit saying otherwise I am more inclined to trust the admins, but if you do have something proving them wrong it'd be cool to see. The podcast said DB online was essentially fan fiction.

How I enjoy the anime:

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:34 pm

Chapter 3 is out.
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

enjyu123
Beyond Newbie

Post by enjyu123 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:28 pm

Scanlation link removed by admin.

Here you go ièm pretty sure posting this is allowed. :angel:
"There are many types of monsters that scare me: Monsters who cause troubles without showing themselves, monsters who abduct children, monsters who devour dreams, monsters who suck blood… and then, monsters who tell nothing but lies. Lying monsters are a real nuisance: They are much more cunning than others: They pose as humans even though they have no understanding of the human heart; they eat even though they’ve never experienced hunger; they study even though they have no interest in academics; they seek friendship even though they do not know how to love. If I were to encounter such monsters, I would likely be eaten by them… because in truth, I am that monster."
L (Death Note)

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:37 pm

Kakarot88 wrote:I've heard that line before and listened to the podcast about it and sounds like a lie people spread with no substance, although you may have something legit saying otherwise I am more inclined to trust the admins, but if you do have something proving them wrong it'd be cool to see. The podcast said DB online was essentially fan fiction.
The Kanzenshuu webmasters are not perfect, though I applaud them for trying to be. They have admitted before that they don't properly keep up with Dragon Ball Online because it originated in Korea and there is/was no one properly documenting and translating the information for it. Back when the game was announced though, on this very forum, we had a translator named Amaranth Sparrow who did most the Korean news work for the game, but also handled some of the Japanese stuff as well. There are a couple of Japanese websites in the quotes below (Wayback'd for convenience due to the links being dead now) which covered the story about Toriyama's involvement, and there were probably even more than the ones we noticed too.
Amaranth Sparrow wrote:Just dropping in to give a bit more information on this.

Yes, Dragon Ball Online is real, not an April Fools Joke. V-Jump is a respected Japanese gaming magazine, and the scan is legitimate. It has been confirmed by other reliable Japanese gaming news sources, and more importantly, by a Bandai Namco Games press release.
http://web.archive.org/web/200811191622 ... 52-081.pdf (requires a Japanese font pack).

The game is being developed by NTL and published by Bandai Namco Games for Windows PCs, and will be released in South Korea in Summer 2007, and some time in 2008 in Japan.

The game world is set in the future of the original series, and players will be able to create their own characters, and interact with main characters who appeared in the original, as well as new, original characters who live in the Dragon Ball world, and will be a gameplay exprience that can only be expressed as an MMO.

On top of that, it is stated that Akira Toriyama has complete supervision over the story and character designs.

It is being developed in Korea to take advantage of their experience with developing online games [MMORPGs are much more popular in Korea than they are in Japan].

More information is scheduled to be released through the Bandai Namco Games website: http://www.bandainamcogames.co.jp/

More info:

http://web.archive.org/web/200703281852 ... 20_15.html

Not much news online yet, traditionally, the gaming mags get the news first, and its published online a bit later.

I also uploaded some better quality versions of the logo and screenshots:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ ... e/db01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ ... e/db02.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ ... e/db03.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ ... e/db04.jpg

The game uses almost the exact same User Interface as World of Warcraft.
Amaranth Sparrow wrote:http://web.archive.org/web/201001301726 ... info35.php Bit of news, an "NTL X Bandai Korea Interview", following up on DBO's rapid rise into Korea's top ten online games chart.

They basically explain that NTL is a company that exists in Korea and Japan at the same time, and was originally founded in Japan in 2003 to work on some Disney 3D animation projects. They were then brought into the Dragon Ball Online Project in late 2003, and it entered into the conceptualization phase in 2004. Because the online gaming market is stronger in Korea, they worked in tandem with Bandai Japan and Bandai Korea, then formed their own Korean branch in 2004. Six years later, NTL is a company that is currently dedicated solely to Dragon Ball Online. They go on to explain their relationship with Bandai Korea, CJ Internet, and Shueisha and how that relates to the DBO Project.

They again summarize that the idea behind DBO was to unite Korean experience in online game development with Japanese creative force to create something that could transcend their respective cultures and make an impact on the whole world. They say that their motto is "harmony", with both Japanese and Korean staff members working together, bringing their own talents to the table. They currently have about 80 people working on the game between Japan and Korea, and the staff is growing. The game has been in direct development for five years, and has existed conceptually for about six. They'd originally planned to have it out in 2007, but they make a veiled mention of the release of World of Warcraft in 2004, and their need to greatly expand DBO to raise standards so it could compete, and also to incorporate as many requests from players as possible.

Next, they talk a bit about the story, and Akira Toriyama's involvement. Basically, they say that the story of Dragon Ball Online can't be the same as the original story, because it's set 250 years later, and they need to have new events for the present setting. They say that they're trying to implement the most original stories, and that everything is produced under the supervision of the original author, Akira Toriyama, and Shueisha, the copyright holders.

They then go on to discuss the hows and whys of implementating familiar elements from the manga, like the Tenkaichi Budokai, Scouters, and Jan Ken, and what sort of content they'd like to add in the future. They say that those things had to be included because it wouldn't feel like Dragon Ball without them.

They mention that when it comes to special techniques, they have to strike a balance for the sake of gameplay and that they can't always just look at how powerful they were in the original, though it's really cool to see a famous skill thrown in at the end of a combo. They want to eventually implement team-up attacks. They also mention that they have to come up with a lot of completely original abilities, simply because they're required for the sake of gameplay, but that it can be a difficult process because Akira Toriyama and Shueisha have to consent to every ability they come up with. This is taken very seriously, so that anything they develop can be considered an official part of Dragon Ball.

They then basically emphasize that everything that actually gets developed has to be supervised by Shueisha and checked by Toriyama before being placed in the game, and that such an influence gives an official touch to everything in the game.

They talk a bit about why they decided to move from console games to an online game, and to shift from a game about fighting to a more thoughtful game about going to important places, where players can enjoy the world of Dragon Ball firsthand. They mention that, even though it's set 250 years in the future, they implemented a lot of features to allow fans of the original to enjoy it, too.

They talk a bit about the original concept, which was that rather than copying or imitating the original, they'd make an official sequel set 250 years later, to make something that's "the real deal". They mention that they also wanted to make it for the sake of the people who already love the setting, and because of that, it can appeal to people all over, from schoolchildren to the middle-aged. They say that DBO is the rare sort of MMORPG that could be cross-generational in a positive way. They didn't want to make a game that targets any one country, but rather something that could be considered world-class. They talk a bit about localization, and basically say that, since people all over the world already love the setting, and that they're developing it with a worldwide audience in mind, they don't want changes and mistakes in the localization process (like changing items, gameplay balance, how clothing or characters look, etc.). They say that if things get changed, they'll get flamed by Dragon Ball fans all over.

They go on to say that NTL and Bandai have to "move very carefully" with Shueisha when it comes to targeting Japan and the rest of the world, and they apologize to the fans waiting for such details, because they can't reveal anything about that yet. Even so, they're eager to start working on the Japanese release, they plan to expand to a worldwide release, and they think it'll be a game that can be continually updated and expanded on indefinitely.

They finish up a bit by talking about other projects, to which they say they're pretty much focused entirely on DBO, then giving some shout outs to the Japanese fans. It's mentioned that there seem to be some preconceptions in Japan, like free-to-play MMORPGs being more expensive due to the cash shops, or that copyrighted stuff shouldn't be put into online games. They basically ask fans to wait for more information or to keep an eye on the Korean version.
---------

As for glancing at Chapter 3 of Jaco, waiting for the US Jump to release it next week. All I can say that I found interesting from the images is that we get to see some of the other Galactic Patrol members, which is cool, and Jaco dressed up in disguise is hilarious.
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:41 pm

Avenged wrote:Chapter 3 is out.
Yes, it is. Is there anything else you can add to the discussion? Did you buy it? Did you read it? Was there anything you found particularly interesting about it?
enjyu123 wrote:Here you go ièm pretty sure posting this is allowed. :angel:
No, linking to scanlations is not allowed. Period.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::