Memorable BGMs from the Majin Boo arc.

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Memorable BGMs from the Majin Boo arc.

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed May 07, 2014 6:56 pm

The soundtrack of Kai's Majin Boo arc for the most part is mediocre, but there's a few hidden gems which are stunningly memorable without a doubt.
My three for now are:

Goku Is Coming to the Tenkaichi Tournament!!
https://mega.co.nz/#!CA4EyIBJ!aW1RQnbbX ... IDIv3hdiBE

Welcome to the Tropical Paradise
https://mega.co.nz/#!iB5HURKJ!bxyYW0Ko0 ... t9fF7vzj5c

Next Episode Preview
https://mega.co.nz/#!rVhRxYAL!QnBx9w4mD ... ErsgfifWKg

I've named them this way 'cause it's easy to remember as such and regarding the audio quality, yes it's shitty but no vocals.

Hopefully they'll release it on CD so we can get these tracks with proper audio quality.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Re: Memorable BGMs from the Majin Boo arc.

Post by Cold Skin » Thu May 08, 2014 7:56 am

Wow, shouldn't you say "is mediocre for now"? :)
I mean, we haven't even started to hear the major, "real" part of the soundtrack which is meant for the rest of the saga, we just circle around the same 8-9 fun tracks for now (even the few ones used in action scenes are mostly still in the "positive" mood of "everything is alright right now").

It's as if someone said the Battle of Gods is mediocre after hearing the tracks Bulma's Birthday Party, Kaio in a Panic, Hero (Goku's Curiosity) and The Pilaf Gang Arrives. You would tell them "I don't think you've heard what the OST is really like as a whole yet, meaning a big chunk of the tracks are orchestral, dark/epic tracks".

So of course I can't see the future, but judging from how Sumitomo handled the few fun tracks in Battle of Gods compared to the numerous more serious/epic/mystical tracks in that same movie, I just think there's a good chance it's the same with the series, with just 10-15 fun tracks instead of 4-5 and 60 serious/epic tracks instead of 20.
So the sentence "the soundtrack of Kai's Majin Boo arc for the most part is mediocre" should probably be tempered by something like "So far, the soundtrack of Kai's Majin Boo arc for the most part is mediocre", don't you think? :wink:

Not criticizing your opinion, just saying! :)
It just makes me sad to see some people already discard ALL of the OST as a total failure when we don't really know if it's not going to be 10% failure and 90% decent/great once things start to get undoubtedly serious. With Yamamoto, we already had pretty serious events and scenes even in the 3 first episodes to judge, and even then we had no idea of what kind of great tracks were to come in the future in comparison to the first not-so-memorable tracks in the first episodes.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu May 08, 2014 7:26 pm

That part of Goku arriving at Tenkaichi Tournament was horrible. Instead seems like he arrived at a disco. Worst scene so far.

My favourite soundtracks so far are:
-The one that plays when Videl discovers that Gohan is The Great Saiyaman
- Next episode preview sountrack

Opening and Ending are awesome. I'm already used to both but the opening is the worst the series had until now.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri May 09, 2014 6:33 pm

Cold Skin wrote:Wow, shouldn't you say "is mediocre for now"? :)
I mean, we haven't even started to hear the major, "real" part of the soundtrack which is meant for the rest of the saga, we just circle around the same 8-9 fun tracks for now (even the few ones used in action scenes are mostly still in the "positive" mood of "everything is alright right now").

It's as if someone said the Battle of Gods is mediocre after hearing the tracks Bulma's Birthday Party, Kaio in a Panic, Hero (Goku's Curiosity) and The Pilaf Gang Arrives. You would tell them "I don't think you've heard what the OST is really like as a whole yet, meaning a big chunk of the tracks are orchestral, dark/epic tracks".

So of course I can't see the future, but judging from how Sumitomo handled the few fun tracks in Battle of Gods compared to the numerous more serious/epic/mystical tracks in that same movie, I just think there's a good chance it's the same with the series, with just 10-15 fun tracks instead of 4-5 and 60 serious/epic tracks instead of 20.
So the sentence "the soundtrack of Kai's Majin Boo arc for the most part is mediocre" should probably be tempered by something like "So far, the soundtrack of Kai's Majin Boo arc for the most part is mediocre", don't you think? :wink:

Not criticizing your opinion, just saying! :)
It just makes me sad to see some people already discard ALL of the OST as a total failure when we don't really know if it's not going to be 10% failure and 90% decent/great once things start to get undoubtedly serious. With Yamamoto, we already had pretty serious events and scenes even in the 3 first episodes to judge, and even then we had no idea of what kind of great tracks were to come in the future in comparison to the first not-so-memorable tracks in the first episodes.
I don't disagree with you but perhaps you're right that it's only bad for the early episodes and then later they'll bomb us with the spectacular tracks they have been saving for later.

But still, the battle of Goten Vs. Trunks deserved to have a much better BGM and they failed to do so. :(
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

G1GACANN0N
Not-So-Newbie

Post by G1GACANN0N » Sat May 10, 2014 10:24 pm

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue May 20, 2014 12:59 pm

I like almost all new tracks for this arc, but there are a few who I like a bit more than the others, like:

- the one when Videl comes in her helicopter to attack the bus gang.

It is used in other moments too, and it has this "magic" side of Dragon Ball, you could easily use that track in early Dragon Ball material!
Note that this theme is reused as other tracks with various moods, like a faster "electro" version when Videl fights the Great Saiyaman, or a mysterious version when Kaio Shin shows up.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Tue May 20, 2014 2:37 pm

I like the Kaioh-shin's theme. a whole lot.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:58 pm

I can imagine the 1st one (Goku Is Coming to the Tenkaichi Tournament) playing at the last scene of DBZ Kai (DBZ 291).
My favourite BGM is this one. I see this as Kai's new ''The Braveheart Challenges The Strong'' song. :D
Last edited by TheRed259 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:48 pm

TheRed259 wrote:I can imagine the 1st one (Goku Is Coming to the Tenkaichi Tournament) playing at the last scene of DBZ Kai (DBZ 291).
My favourite BGM is this one. I see this as Kai's new ''The Braveheart Challenges The Strong'' song. :D

Woah, if that´s not a BADASS rip, can you tell me how to rip the soundtracks in such great quality?.

And if it´s not much trouble, can you rip the piece is like an epic remix of the kaioh shin theme ? (that one that has the same percussion but more powerfull)
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:18 pm

I really love pretty much all BGMs in this arc, but let's name a few of them that have a special place for me, using Kenisu's extraordinary BGM recap titles (but I'll also specify when was the moment we heard it).

- The Folks on Mount Paozu: heard when Gohan is first seen riding Kinto-Un and landing to Satan City, and also at the end of the first episode when Goten is introduced. Has a great feeling of "blue sky" everyday life, I'm sure you could pretty much use this BGM in your life when you go to school or to work beneath a beautiful, sunny sky. Just another regular day starting in a nice way.

- Videl to the Rescue: heard when Videl flies in her chopper to get on the bus and save people. It dynamically captures the optimistic magic of Dragon Ball and could totally fit the early Dragon Ball adventures with Kid Goku.

- Videl Means Business: heard when Videl fights against Great Saiyaman. It's the fast-paced version of Videl to the Rescue, with a bit of a video game mini-game feel to it. Again, there's something very optimistic about that "come on, let's do this!" track.

- Up and Coming: heard when Goten and Trunks enter the ring together. This is a very short instance for that track, but the little we hear is the very depiction of good times in a true friendship.

- Kaioshin's Theme: heard when the heroes first see Kaio Shin and Kibito. Some find this theme eerie, like something threatening, but I don't perceive that feeling at all. To me it just brings a sense of perfect mystery with something mystical. Like you're wondering "what exactly is this?" and you just silently watch, being sort of fascinated and trying to define the mysterious and mystical thing you're seeing that seems to belong to another world. For those who know that game, it could work very well in Final Fantasy VII when Sephiroth, Tifa and Cloud encounter naturally crystalized materia, or when Bugenhagen explains about how the universe work with his holograms.

- Precursor to a Grand Adventure (Part 2): heard for recaps ever since episode 106. It's epic and you feel the seriousness of the situation, there's no joking around, action is on and the stakes are high.
Since the two recap tracks were used back to back in Battle of Gods' special edition, Kenisu considers both of them as being the same track, which is why I specified "Part 2" (the serious one) as opposed to "Part 1" (the relaxed one heard in previous recaps).

- Enough is Enough: heard when Gohan loses it as Videl gets tortured, but also when Kaio Shin explains about Majin Boo and Babidi's backstory. Simply meant for epic moments, when something decisive happens or is being said. Epic, epic, epic.

- The Terrible Majin Boo: heard when Gohan is dying on the ground while Kaio Shin takes off to follow Yamu and Spopovitch (also heard during part of Kaio Shin's briefing on Majin Boo and Babidi). There's something decisive and somewhat tragic in that track, and even a bit of twisted darkness when the violin's keys go high - low - high - low... Something serious and fateful is happening.

- Budding Affection: heard when Videl accepts to leave Gohan to his mission, learning all the truth about him and what truly happened at the Cell Game. A very beautiful, touching track, which will no doubt be used when the time comes for Vegeta to make the ultimate sacrifice.

- Fighting the Apocalypse: heard when Puipui gets his butt kicked by Vegeta, but also when Vegeta's possession process reaches its climax. Epic and feels like something extremely important which could change destiny is taking place.

Those are my 10 favorite "absolutely super-awesome" tracks, with the other tracks only being "absolutely awesome".
Last edited by Cold Skin on Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:23 am

I checked out the other tracks this Red fellow uploaded. Am I the only one who's reminded of Faulconer Productions, Nathan Johnson, and Kenji Yamamoto in these tracks?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:05 pm

@ Black_Liger Audacity.
@Valerius Dover Speaking of Faulconer, I think that this track did tend for a moment to sound like Goku's SSJ3 theme...?
Last edited by TheRed259 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:04 pm

This stuff is really cool sounding to be honest. Listening to some of these, it's highly unlikely that there isn't any influence from the US scores.

"This sucks. Make more."

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:06 pm

Edited a few links of Red259 into my post, 'cause his edited rips give a good preview of what the tracks will sound like on the OST.
Despite a few instruments having to be sacrificied when it's all filtered, he manages to retain most of them to give a good glimpse of what it supposed to sound like on its own.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:28 pm

So far, the only piece that's really stood out to me is "Cheering On Videl." Or at least, that's kenisu's name for it.

It's only played twice in the series so far (once when Videl and Spopovich walked into the ring, and again when the Battle Royale contestants entered the ring), but it's bouncy and fun like Dragon Ball music should be. I never get tired of those trumpets. I actually find myself humming it from time to time! It's not quite perfect, but it's a great lil' homage to Kikuchi's catchy fanfares of old and huge step in the right direction.

If we could get more of that, I'd be jumping on-board the Sumitomo hype train like so many other fans have done.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:46 pm

Again, it seems the primary complaints have been about the Japanese edit's music placement. The intended version is probably much more thought out.

"This sucks. Make more."

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:54 am

Man you guys really love Kai Buu Saga Music and I do too and it is probably my 3rd favorite from the whole Dragon Ball series at least if he doesn't plagiarize. I really love that No More track and it sounds very much like a really good track on a Japanese RPG Game :lol:
Last edited by TheKingOfKamehamehas on Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:29 pm

TheKingOfKamehamehas wrote:Man you guys really love Kai Buu Saga Music and I do too and it is probably my 3rd favorite from the whole Dragon Ball series at least if he doesn't plagiarize. I really love that No More track and it sounds very much like a really good track on a Japanese RPG Game :lol:
I'm pretty sure if he had plagiarized sumitomo would've been pulled by toei while they were planning out the buu arc
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/