The different animation styles in the DBZ series

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyan » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:14 pm

I prefer the later style over the older one as well. It's what I grew up knowing...especially seeing some of the later movies first. And to me, it seems much neater that way.

But I enjoy Toriyama's newest style the most for some reason.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:33 pm

I enjoy both his older style used in early Dragon Ball & his newest style which can be seen in the "Neko Majin" Kanzenban & "Dragon Quest VIII". Like Saiyan, I'm really enjoying his newest style very much. To me it's kinda of a blend between his 2 styles used throughout the Dragon Ball manga series. In result, it's a culmination of his drawings over the past 10-15 years.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:48 pm

Yea it does seem neater, but it's only because the anime's artists didn't always draw the old style well, partly the reason why it was asked to be changed by them, so they could draw and animate it better. If you watch old episodes drawn by the (so called) better than Toriyama artist, they look as good as the newest episodes.

But Toriyama's manga has it done the best. Naturally because he drew it.

Although, when it gets to SSJ, the hair has been majorly improved in the later series, compared to what it was like when first shown on Namek, that's one thing about the new style I liked better, but the stlye of the old one I like is the rounded faces, eyes, body, it has been masted when you look at the Kanzenban covers, it's perfect, it has the hair of the new style, combined with the round stlye of body proportion and faces he used to do, this in my view is miles better than the sharp style.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:09 pm

Bejiita wrote:Yea it does seem neater, but it's only because the anime's artists didn't always draw the old style well, partly the reason why it was asked to be changed by them, so they could draw and animate it better. If you watch old episodes drawn by the (so called) better than Toriyama artist, they look as good as the newest episodes.

But Toriyama's manga has it done the best. Naturally because he drew it.

Although, when it gets to SSJ, the hair has been majorly improved in the later series, compared to what it was like when first shown on Namek, that's one thing about the new style I liked better, but the stlye of the old one I like is the rounded faces, eyes, body, it has been masted when you look at the Kanzenban covers, it's perfect, it has the hair of the new style, combined with the round stlye of body proportion and faces he used to do, this in my view is miles better than the sharp style.
I have to agree with you on your view of the Kanzenban covers in the aspect that they look more realistic and perfected.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:02 pm

Well coming back on topic to the animation styles (y'know, the ones in the anime), here's a particular style that's always caught my attention in the later DB episodes.

As you may (or maybe not) tell, the style is pretty cartoony (not to be confused with the Pale Cartoony Type-- refer to p.2 of the topic), simplifying Toriyama's artwork, but not to the point that it looks like total crap. The style actually seems to work for DB and is in my opinion, the best animation style in DB. The defining traits for this animation style are the skinny necks and wrists, the somewhat cartoony eyes (just look at King Piccolo!), and the incredibly circular muscles (as kinda shown in the Tenshinhan pic).

I was curious if anyone knew if the animators for this style did later episodes. If so, I'm guessing they eventually "evolved" into what some may call the New Type (again, refer to p.2 of the topic).
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:40 pm

Yeah, this is the group we've actually been referring to as closest to Toriyama and is the best group in both DB and DBZ in my opinion. They were still in the rotation during the Freeza saga but either they totally evolved or I lost track of them in the Cell saga. But they didn't just show up in late DB, they were there from the begining with all the other groups.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

GI_Judd2287
Beyond Newbie

Post by GI_Judd2287 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:59 pm

Tsukento wrote:
LegendarySSJ7 wrote:The selected images shown in this thread really aren't the best examples as most of the animation during the period of the Freeza Saga Arc was quite horrid.
Hence why I was using three images as comparison between the three animation groups, dur. :P Wasn't using those three to show off better animation. Though if you wish..

Wow. I honestly never knew that the difference was that big. But weren't the ones on the left used as sort of screen caps during the closing narraration? That would make sense. Since there's no movement, they can pay more attention to smaller details.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:11 pm

Wow. I honestly never knew that the difference was that big. But weren't the ones on the left used as sort of screen caps during the closing narraration? That would make sense. Since there's no movement, they can pay more attention to smaller details.
Nope. each screen cap there is from full motion video used in the episodes.

GI_Judd2287
Beyond Newbie

Post by GI_Judd2287 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:45 pm

In the words of Steve Irwin, may he rest in peace, Crikey! I'm surprised I never noticed that much of a difference. The ones on the left look like they belong in one of the movies.

Not even GT could capture that much detail, even with it's bigger budget.

Blastero
Beyond Newbie

Post by Blastero » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:15 pm

You know what I'd like to see is an animation group that uses Toriyama's newer style as inspiration. The current animators for the video games and such seem to still use the older pointy edged style, while Toriyama's current style is a lot rounder.

And are the video game openings animated by any of the series groups?

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:33 pm

Blastero wrote:You know what I'd like to see is an animation group that uses Toriyama's newer style as inspiration. The current animators for the video games and such seem to still use the older pointy edged style, while Toriyama's current style is a lot rounder.

And are the video game openings animated by any of the series groups?
Well, which video game? I don't think the same people who did Budokai 2 and 3's openings did Sparking!'s. (I assume, from the looks.)
What's scarier than a DBZ H-game?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuBVyPsL5g]Fear the dancing![/url]

Blastero
Beyond Newbie

Post by Blastero » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:44 pm

I don't think the same people who did Budokai 2 and 3's openings did Sparking!'s.
Heh. You're probably right on that one. :lol:

Well, any of them, besides Sparking!, or Budokai 1. I know the Budokai 2 and 3 openings look a lot like one of the series groups may have animated them. Sagas is a different story, though.
Last edited by Blastero on Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
[url=http://blastero.livejournal.com/profile]My Livejournal![/url] Go ahead and friend me, and I'll probably friend you back.

Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:03 am

Blastero wrote:
I don't think the same people who did Budokai 2 and 3's openings did Sparking!'s.
Heh. You're probably right on that one. :lol:

Well, any of them. I know the Budokai 2 and 3 openings look a lot like one of the series groups may have animated them. Sagas is a different story, though.
I think that Sagas was done by One Piece animators. It looks very similar.

Grandmaster J
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Grandmaster J » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:16 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:Image
I happen to like this style in the DB series. It made for great action in the later Tournaments, as well as in the Piccolo Daimao chapter. The characters aren't super detailed, but the pace of the action, the use of shadows and brightness, especially with all the chi attacks, were eye-candy for me. Great stuff.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:56 pm

DaemonCorps wrote: Image
This picture looks HORRIBLE.

Look at the shading of the face. So well done ne?
Then look at the eyes and the teeth. No shading or details. Nothing. Just plain white. And then Piccolo Damaioh looks like a freak compared to his real self.
The image is repulsive.
:)

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:52 pm

Godo wrote:
DaemonCorps wrote: <snip image like we're supposed to>
This picture looks HORRIBLE.

Look at the shading of the face. So well done ne?
Then look at the eyes and the teeth. No shading or details. Nothing. Just plain white. And then Piccolo Damaioh looks like a freak compared to his real self.
The image is repulsive.
:)
Well, it's kinda one of those things that you've got to see in animation to get the full effect... I'll get some more convincing screenshots over the weekend (must... get back.. to homework...).
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

JBoogie

Post by JBoogie » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:15 pm

Me and my friend talk about this. That's my only complaint about the series. They draw it best for important parts. I hate when the transformations are drawn really nice, but the fights following those are drawn badly half the time.
" I know the odds are against me, but if there's a way to win, I'm gonna find it!
-Goku

"A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own."
-Solid Snake

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:50 pm

JBoogie wrote:Me and my friend talk about this. That's my only complaint about the series. They draw it best for important parts. I hate when the transformations are drawn really nice, but the fights following those are drawn badly half the time.
You've...just N-Posted something that was nearly 3 years old... :evil:
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

JBoogie

Post by JBoogie » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:55 pm

DBHighDefinition wrote:
JBoogie wrote:Me and my friend talk about this. That's my only complaint about the series. They draw it best for important parts. I hate when the transformations are drawn really nice, but the fights following those are drawn badly half the time.
You did too.
" I know the odds are against me, but if there's a way to win, I'm gonna find it!
-Goku

"A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own."
-Solid Snake

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:56 pm

DBHighDefinition wrote:
Heaps of new members are necroposting these days.

It's the COOL thing to do!