Dragon Ball referenced in "Heroes"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Dragon Ball referenced in "Heroes"

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:45 pm

The new NBC show "Heroes" comes with an online blog typed in the character of one of the main guys Hiro, a guy who discovers he has the power to bend space and time. Anyways, here's part of the latest blog entry:

I've been dreaming for a moment like this my whole life. I've become Chrono in Chrono Trigger or Trunks in Dragon Ball. I've become the hero in my own RPG. Except that this isn't a game. This is real. There is no saved game or cheat codes. I get no Phoenix Downs. There is no game over. There can't be.

I'm excited to take this journey as a hero. In reality, I'm scared. But I have to, and will overcome it. I will not be like Trunks or Akira. I won't live in a post-apocalyptic world. I'm going to save the world! I hope I find my Marle and Lucca though. And soon.

Yeah, I guess it's pretty steriotypical to have the Asian guy reference anime, but what'cha gonna do, right? Anyways, I found it pretty interesting if only for the fact that Dragon Ball is pretty much never mentioned in today's mainstream non-anime shows.

Thoughts?
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:50 pm

Wow, I've been interested in checking this show out since it was mentioned on 4ColorRebellion, but this settles it. Especially the Akira and Trunks bit.

Hi, Heroes, my name is Zack. I'm your new viewer.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:56 pm

Rrrggh... I missed the pilot the other week. Could I still start watching it? Did I miss anything too important?

But I like the reference. And I think the writer was a more 'advanced' fan, or at least more familiar with it, since he attributed Trunks to "Dragon Ball," a.k.a. the manga, rather than just putting something like "dbz."
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:09 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Rrrggh... I missed the pilot the other week. Could I still start watching it? Did I miss anything too important?
Sorry to even think of it but... youtube?
SSj Kaboom wrote: But I like the reference. And I think the writer was a more 'advanced' fan, or at least more familiar with it, since he attributed Trunks to "Dragon Ball," a.k.a. the manga, rather than just putting something like "dbz."
I suppose. Then again, most casual DB watchers know a good number of the main characters, especially the Saiya-jinns.

And oh yeah, here's the link. And you could even comment in the entries!
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

jwimz
Beyond Newbie

Post by jwimz » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:10 pm

I love Heroes! It and Lost are my two favorite shows that I cannot miss. As for the reference to DB and etc is well within the personality of Hiro, since he is a nerdy guy. He mentions Star Trek in more then one occasion, so why not one of the most popular anime series in Japan? Plus how old is he? Late 20s to early 30s? So he probably watched it when it first aired.

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:39 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:But I like the reference. And I think the writer was a more 'advanced' fan, or at least more familiar with it, since he attributed Trunks to "Dragon Ball," a.k.a. the manga, rather than just putting something like "dbz."
Obviously not as much of an advanced fan of Chrono Trigger since the name is spelled Crono with no "h".

Sorry, I just love that game.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:27 pm

So this blog is on a real online site or do you mean he was typing this in the TV show on his online blog (in the show)?
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:26 am

A friend once showed me a certain episode of "Buffy, the vampire slayer". In that episode, a guy that used to be evil, but is a good guy now, says:
"I'm just like Vegeta in Dragonball. I used to be evil but now I'm good!"

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:29 am

Slickmasterfunk wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:But I like the reference. And I think the writer was a more 'advanced' fan, or at least more familiar with it, since he attributed Trunks to "Dragon Ball," a.k.a. the manga, rather than just putting something like "dbz."
Obviously not as much of an advanced fan of Chrono Trigger since the name is spelled Crono with no "h".

Actually, wasn't it spelled Chrono in the Japanese version but they had to change it in the American for space limitations?
Trunks & Goten forever

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:55 am

Haha, that's great. I've been watching these series too and that Hiro guy is my favorite character already. xD It's great that they used a DragonBall reference.

@ Godo: I even made a clip of that moment, you can view it here if you like. :)

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:10 am

Thanks!

It's always nice to see Dragonball be mentioned in TV!

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:35 am

Thanos6 wrote:
Slickmasterfunk wrote:

Actually, wasn't it spelled Chrono in the Japanese version but they had to change it in the American for space limitations?
No you're thinking of the manga/anime series Chrno Crusade. Totally different thing.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:29 am

Thanos6 wrote:Actually, wasn't it spelled Chrono in the Japanese version but they had to change it in the American for space limitations?
Bam! Wikipedia to the rescue.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:55 am

The show is meh. Jeph Loeb is behind it, who's writing is either hit or miss. The Japanese guy mentioned X-men in the first episode. So an anime reference is not that unexpectied.

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:18 pm

Godo wrote:A friend once showed me a certain episode of "Buffy, the vampire slayer". In that episode, a guy that used to be evil, but is a good guy now, says:
Oh, you mean this one?

YAY! My first You-tub upload! :o I'm so cool... I'm so cool... I'm so cool...
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:46 pm

Steven Perry wrote:
Godo wrote:A friend once showed me a certain episode of "Buffy, the vampire slayer". In that episode, a guy that used to be evil, but is a good guy now, says:
Oh, you mean this one?

YAY! My first You-tub upload! :o I'm so cool... I'm so cool... I'm so cool...
Exactly that one!

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:01 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:No you're thinking of the manga/anime series Chrno Crusade. Totally different thing.
I was under the impression that it was some kind of Engrish or random spelling to try to be original / cool. How do you get size limitations in a manga?