When Kai gets to the end of the series...

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

When Kai gets to the end of the series...

Post by Amigo Ten » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:30 pm

Do you think they'll animate the extra pages added to the kanzenban?

Freeza.exe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza.exe » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:33 pm

Maybe for an intro or outro but I can't imagine them hand drawing a scene from scratch for no real reason. Where would they even place it?

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:35 pm

Well, at the very end presumably. I haven't seen that part of the anime though so I don't know how or if it differs from the manga.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:50 pm

The chances of them knowing such page exists is probably slim, so of course not.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:52 pm

Senzu_Bean wrote:The chances of them knowing such page exists is probably slim, so of course not.
Why would it be slim?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:09 pm

Herms wrote:
Senzu_Bean wrote:The chances of them knowing such page exists is probably slim, so of course not.
Why would it be slim?
Because they don't know a thing about Dragonball or the fillers wouldn't be as ridiculous as they are.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:34 pm

Senzu_Bean wrote:Because they don't know a thing about Dragonball or the fillers wouldn't be as ridiculous as they are.
That doesn't make sense. How do you think they made the anime in the first place, if not by looking at the manga? There's no reason to think the people at Toei aren't familiar with the kanzenban changes. Heck, one of the changes in the kanzenban first appeared in the anime: the whole 20,000/30,000 change for Vegeta's BP during the Recoome fight.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:35 pm

Senzu_Bean wrote:
Herms wrote:
Why would it be slim?
Because they don't know a thing about Dragonball or the fillers wouldn't be as ridiculous as they are.
I'm sure they animated a majority of the series with the manga for that part on hand. These people know the manga, and the literary talents of the people in charge of creating the filler segments for the series is not a good basis for judging how familiar they are with the manga.

Not to mention that most of the staff that worked on the original series when it was first being produced, probably don't work for Toei anymore, and almost surely don't work in the departments that are working on Kai.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:36 pm

I'd like to see those extra pages added; Uub riding Kinto'un was so cute. :3

Not to mention irritated-at-Goku Vegeta at the end. X3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:51 am

I'm calling it now: they're not going to stop. There'll be at least one non-canon story arc following the end of Kai, probably picking up a year or two after Goku leaves to train Uub.

With the ratings going so strong as they are, Toei is going to want to keep it going. I don't see them giving GT the Kai treatment given the stigma surrounding it. And Dragon Ball just isn't as popular as DBZ, so I don't see them going backwards. Perhaps they will convince Toriyama to come up with an idea or two for a new story arc with enough money to buy a small island?

Freeza.exe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza.exe » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:02 am

snaku wrote:I'm calling it now: they're not going to stop. There'll be at least one non-canon story arc following the end of Kai, probably picking up a year or two after Goku leaves to train Uub.
I sincerely doubt they are going to animate new sagas from scratch. It's an easy budged production. They can't even be arsed to recolor Vegeta and Nappa in a flashback or hell redraw anything thus far from scratch (as in not based off of preexisting material) I don't see why they'd do a 180 and suddenly have their muse tickled and make a new series out of Kai. If they couldn't even be bothered to erase Gregory from existence they won't make new sagas. It just seems like wishful thinking.

Milking the Kai franchise is much easier then that. They have DVD and Blu-Ray's. Eventual boxsets and uncut DVD's.

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:06 am

Freeza.exe wrote:I sincerely doubt they are going to animate new sagas from scratch. It's an easy budged production. They can't even be arsed to recolor Vegeta and Nappa in a flashback or hell redraw anything thus far from scratch (as in not based off of preexisting material) I don't see why they'd do a 180 and suddenly have their muse tickled and make a new series out of Kai. If they couldn't even be bothered to erase Gregory from existence they won't make new sagas. It just seems like wishful thinking.

Milking the Kai franchise is much easier then that. They have DVD and Blu-Ray's. Eventual boxsets and uncut DVD's.
It's been beating their heavy hitter, One Piece, for many weeks in the ratings, and consistently in the top 5 overall. If they see a profit in continuing Kai like they do One Piece, they will spend the extra money to make it happen. It's not often you come up with a show that brings in the kind of ratings that Kai has been, and Toei is not stupid when it comes to money.

Freeza.exe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza.exe » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:09 am

snaku wrote:
Freeza.exe wrote:I sincerely doubt they are going to animate new sagas from scratch. It's an easy budged production. They can't even be arsed to recolor Vegeta and Nappa in a flashback or hell redraw anything thus far from scratch (as in not based off of preexisting material) I don't see why they'd do a 180 and suddenly have their muse tickled and make a new series out of Kai. If they couldn't even be bothered to erase Gregory from existence they won't make new sagas. It just seems like wishful thinking.

It's been beating their heavy hitter, One Piece, for many weeks in the ratings, and consistently in the top 5 overall. If they see a profit in continuing Kai like they do One Piece, they will spend the extra money to make it happen. It's not often you come up with a show that brings in the kind of ratings that Kai has been, and Toei is not stupid when it comes to money.
I'm not saying a new Dragonball series itself couldn't happen or a new T.V special I just doubt it will be connected to the Kai name and if it is it will be as relevant as the Dragonball Kai D.S game.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:20 am

snaku wrote:I'm calling it now: they're not going to stop. There'll be at least one non-canon story arc following the end of Kai, probably picking up a year or two after Goku leaves to train Uub.

With the ratings going so strong as they are, Toei is going to want to keep it going. I don't see them giving GT the Kai treatment given the stigma surrounding it. And Dragon Ball just isn't as popular as DBZ, so I don't see them going backwards. Perhaps they will convince Toriyama to come up with an idea or two for a new story arc with enough money to buy a small island?

YES! I want this new arc. I really, really hope you're right. That'd be even better than simply adding on the kanzenban ending (though I do want the kanzenban ending to be animated) especially because there's so very little on how the whole plan to take Uub on as a student went.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:37 am

Freeza.exe wrote:
snaku wrote:

I'm not saying a new Dragonball series itself couldn't happen or a new T.V special I just doubt it will be connected to the Kai name and if it is it will be as relevant as the Dragonball Kai D.S game.
Huh? I see the Kai name replacing the Z name in everything as far as modern Japanese Dragon Ball products go for the forseeable future.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:26 am

Umm... what?! They were absolutely aware of the manga! (Read Below)
SSj_Rambo wrote:I'm sure they animated a majority of the series with the manga for that part on hand. These people know the manga, and the literary talents of the people in charge of creating the filler segments for the series is not a good basis for judging how familiar they are with the manga.
Actually, the key animators did have the manga in front of them most of the time. Even the series organizers used the manga as a basis for everything and it was constantly used during production meetings. Besides, Toriyama himself went to a bunch of the production meetings. Here's a scan I took from the "DragonBall Z Anime Special" that shows Satou Masaki drawing a key frame of Tenshinhan blocking Cyborg Tao Pai Pai's ki blast in DB episode 136 based on pages 9-10 of chapter 170. You'll notice the tankoubon volumes sitting on his desk and even some Weekly Shounen Jump issues just to his left. You can tell it's late-1988 since he has a Walkman on his desk, but that's beside the point.

Also, here is said pages from the manga and a screen shot of the scene in DragonBall episode 136.

SSj_Rambo wrote:Not to mention that most of the staff that worked on the original series when it was first being produced, probably don't work for Toei anymore, and almost surely don't work in the departments that are working on Kai.
Well, it's not as bad as you might think. For example:
  • Matsuzaki Youko has been a series planner for every DragonBall series, including DragonBall Kai. In fact, he has been involved in the series since DB episode 132.
  • Fukumitsu Shinichi, the editor for every piece of DragonBall animation up until Kai, returned and edited the first 10 episodes.
  • Kadota Hidehiko was a key animator throughout DB and DBZ. He returned to Kai and is incharge of HD Production Coordination.
  • Both key animators Yamamuro Naoyoshi and Shida Naotoshi returned to help animate the new opening and ending.
Actually, I think that's it. There really aren't that many credits for the series, since most are recycled from Z.
Last edited by Hujio on Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Velasa

Post by Velasa » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:28 am

That's....... that's awesome ._. I'm almost speechless.

Beautiful freaking picture man, that's so damn cool to know some of the guys, probably the Key guys, worked that damn closely with the source material. Do we have any more cool production shots somewhere?
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:33 pm

Velasa wrote:Do we have any more cool production shots somewhere?
Yeah, there are some more in the "DragonBall Z Anime Special" guidebook, which I believe is really the only place anything like this was published. Unfortunately, some of the images are printed right across the spine.

I should note, since I forgot to add this to my list above, that we do know thanks to Wasted Wisher that "TAP" (Toei Animation Philippines) is involved at some level, although they're not officially credited at all. However, if they were to be credited, I'd guess it would be under "In-Between Animation" and "Digital Coloring", which is what they were credited with in the DB JSAT special. I will say that I'm disappointed that no animation artists or studios, besides those for the opening and ending animations, have been credited in Kai. I guess the new animation just draws itself...
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:59 pm

I would be awesome if they used the Kanzenban ending instead of the Tankonbon ending, that way Kai people can stop complaining about it being the same as DBZ

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:12 pm

Aw man, that screenshot looks nearly identical to the manga panel!
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash