Toyble's AF Anime Project

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GenerationII
Not-So-Newbie

Toyble's AF Anime Project

Post by GenerationII » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:59 pm

I have been interested in directing and editing a flash-anime based off of Toyble's Dragon Ball AF. If you like my idea and have experience with voice acting, animating, drawing, music composition, and anything else you can think of, please post here and we will get something going. I will make an official list of what is needed and post it in an edit later.

Scarz
I Live Here

Re: Toyble's Af anime project

Post by Scarz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:46 pm

First, how much do you know about flash and animation?

GenerationII
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GenerationII » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:38 pm

I personally have no experience with animation, but I know about film and directing, because...well... that's what I do for a living. That's why I need animators and artists. It'd be cool to have a team of animators all working on different scenes, but with them working apart, this probably won't work because of different styles.

My plan is to use english translation as a storyboard. Little to no filler.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:59 pm

GenerationII wrote:I personally have no experience with animation, but I know about film and directing, because...well... that's what I do for a living. That's why I need animators and artists. It'd be cool to have a team of animators all working on different scenes, but with them working apart, this probably won't work because of different styles.

My plan is to use english translation as a storyboard. Little to no filler.
I work as a freelance comic book artist and I'm currently going to school for animation, although I've been studying animation ever since high school. So far I find my strong point is story boarding and adding keys to animation. With that said I am very skeptical about this project as I am with many other projects I come by. So please excuse the many, many question I will probably ask over time.

First animation is a very long and enduring process that requires a team of not only good animators but great artists as well. I was lucky enough to speak to many animators over the past couple of years and I had the opportunity to watch a group animators in action putting together a short student film project.

If you're serious about directing an animated DBAF series, try animating a short intro or test animation of your favorite scene that appeared in the doujin. For instance, the grand appearance of Xicor (is that how you spell it?). Or better yet make a fan animated opening, like something close to the spirit of Dragon soul, Head-Cha-La, but since you're going with an English version, then how about something in the vain of Rock the Dragon (please don't hate me, it's just an example)

Basically, what I'm trying to say here is start small then go big. That way you can see how the fans react to the video/animation. If you get a positive response, go forward with the animation project. If negative or neutral go back to basics. I'm willing to throw in a helping hand if and only if you're serious about this project.

GenerationII
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GenerationII » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:37 am

Oh, I'm totally serious about this. I've been told hat the Daizenshuu Ex forums were the place to go, so I went. I like the idea of a fan opening first. I want to use all original music. I'm in a band, I just wonder if the guys will be willing to do such a thing. Anyway, I understand your skepticism, and I would appreciate anything that you could do.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:47 am

Whoever told you to come to Daizenshuu Ex forums for help was very misinformed since this place full of massive wankers, such as myself. I'm just kidding, but if you want to show people you're serious about this project then be willing to share not only ideas but actually content to the forums.

You say you have a band, eh? Why not upload a mp3 file with a song or music you have in mind for the intro. Doesn't half to be the entire song, hell it doesn't have to be finished. A W.I.P (work in progress) will do for now. You just need to represent something to the table to show fans where you might go with this. Who knows, maybe even more members will be willing to help you out, offering their advice and skills.

Just my two cents.

M4rb

Post by M4rb » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:50 am

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:13 am

I'm not going to rag on the creators hard work, I'm pretty sure he animated more things then I have this year, but they are just sooo many problems with the animation that I can make a huge "Do not do this!" list. But I'm going to leave it be. Thank you sharing though, I've never seen these videos before. I'm going to check them all out see if the animation progresses each episode.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:20 pm

I doubt there's anything you'd need from the original PSDs (it's just the original images and the text) but if you need anything let me know.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:55 pm

I tried doing a fandub of the first something pages of AF a while back (shortly after Gohan showed up at the fight, I think), in which I tried to voice everyone (bah, screw gender XD). Then I accidentally saved it in mono and didn't feel like continuing. ^_^.
B'tcha, the only voices in there I can recall being moderately pleased with was my Goten, but eh.

Aside from voices / audio editing (I'm sure there are better editers around here than me), I write background music type things quite often (though most of it comes off sounding videogame-ish...).

I'd be interested in contributing to this project. But yeah, we've had a lot of projects that haven't gone anywhere around here (I've tried a radio play myself that fell apart rather quickly...), so I'm a bit worried this will suffer a similar fate.

So, yeah. If it goes anywhere, I'd like to contribute something of some kind. ^^
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

GenerationII
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GenerationII » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:51 pm

Scarz wrote:You say you have a band, eh? Why not upload a mp3 file with a song or music you have in mind for the intro. Doesn't half to be the entire song, hell it doesn't have to be finished. A W.I.P (work in progress) will do for now. You just need to represent something to the table to show fans where you might go with this. Who knows, maybe even more members will be willing to help you out, offering their advice and skills.
I will do that as soon as possible. We're actually recording our first album in the next couple of weeks, so I may wait until then.
That's actually very similar to what I want to do... but better, and with sound design and stuff.
desirecampbell wrote:I doubt there's anything you'd need from the original PSDs (it's just the original images and the text) but if you need anything let me know.
Wow! Thanks for coming here and posting on this, Desire!
caejones wrote:Aside from voices / audio editing (I'm sure there are better editers around here than me), I write background music type things quite often (though most of it comes off sounding videogame-ish...).

I'd be interested in contributing to this project. But yeah, we've had a lot of projects that haven't gone anywhere around here (I've tried a radio play myself that fell apart rather quickly...), so I'm a bit worried this will suffer a similar fate.

So, yeah. If it goes anywhere, I'd like to contribute something of some kind. ^^
I would love background music and stuff. Maybe you could voice Gohan??? Hmmm...???

But, yeah I'm going to make a video storyboard. And I'll post that as soon as I can.

P.S.!!! If there are any Japanese musical artists out there, I would much prefer a Japanese theme song.

GenerationII
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GenerationII » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:22 am

Thought that this might be worth a double post. If not, just edit so the below link and info shows up in the previous post.

Here's the video storyboard for Episode 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUrnAzmxbJQ

Commander_Red
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Commander_Red » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:30 am

Yup, that certainly is the comic page by page in a video format.

I say start small, focus on maybe getting a minute done first. Make sure you have a beginning middle and end to help keep you motivated.

Animation is a looooooot of work unless you cut corners like the fellow above did. Even then I'm sure just one of those little clips would have taken several weeks of knuckling down.

As for a theme song, try a lesser known image song from one of the Hit Collections.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:45 am

Hey Scarz. You think "Super Dragon Soul" could be a good opening?
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:55 pm

Big Momma wrote:Hey Scarz. You think "Super Dragon Soul" could be a good opening?
I think "Rock the Dragon" would be a better opening! Kidding, again. But seriously I love that stupid song so much, if it was up to me I would have it for every tv opening. Like "The Facts of Life" or "Charles' in Charge" but hey, that's just me.

As for "Super Dragon Soul," I need to listen to the song just a few more times before I give my opinion. I've only listened to it once. So far I think it would work well for a DBAF opening. The song however is little over 4 minutes and it needs to be cut short to a minute and half (I believe that's the average time limit for most anime openings). With some good audio editing it could be done right and not too sound choppy.
GenerationII wrote:Thought that this might be worth a double post. If not, just edit so the below link and info shows up in the previous post.

Here's the video storyboard for Episode 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUrnAzmxbJQ
There's ONE HUGE problem here. That's not how you story board comics for animation. Even if you the comic/doujin has everything planned out, you'll still need to show (or preferably draw) every major moment (keys) and scene transitions of show. I can show some great examples of story board animation on youtube but I can't now because I'm a little busy. But I will put up some links later.

Also how long do want the animation to be per episode? This is very crucial to know before you begin animating or story boarding.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:22 pm

Scarz wrote:
Big Momma wrote:Hey Scarz. You think "Super Dragon Soul" could be a good opening?
I think "Rock the Dragon" would be a better opening! Kidding, again. But seriously I love that stupid song so much, if it was up to me I would have it for every tv opening. Like "The Facts of Life" or "Charles' in Charge" but hey, that's just me.
Hey, if you're the one making the opening, then I say go for it and screw what others say. I'd be in full support.
As for "Super Dragon Soul," I need to listen to the song just a few more times before I give my opinion. I've only listened to it once. So far I think it would work well for a DBAF opening. The song however is little over 4 minutes and it needs to be cut short to a minute and half (I believe that's the average time limit for most anime openings). With some good audio editing it could be done right and not too sound choppy.
I could whip up a TV-sized version for you if you ever decided to. I just brought it up because I've been listening to that song all day, and DBM kept popping into my head, haha. Not so much the beginning, but when the song gets rolling, I personally think it fits.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:35 pm

Here's an excellent story board example from DC's upcoming animated DVD movie "Under the Red Hood."

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FNp3xdXsbY
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8vkC-IxzA0

In the very first minute of part one, you can see how they adapted parts of the comic book to the story board. Not every panel from the comic is used but almost all of it is hand drawn. There are also examples of panning, zooming in, and out, etc. throughout the video. If you need an artist to help you with the story boarding I'm willing to. But again, I hope your serious about this.
Big Momma wrote:I could whip up a TV-sized version for you if you ever decided to. I just brought it up because I've been listening to that song all day, and DBM kept popping into my head, haha. Not so much the beginning, but when the song gets rolling, I personally think it fits.
That's so weird, I was thinking about DBM too. Piccolo Daimaoh suggested Tenkaichi 2 "Gatebreaker" as the opening theme song to DBM. If GenerationII decides to create his own original opening song instead of "Soul Dragon Soul," I'm going to have to choose between the two songs.

Also does anyone have a high quality mp3 of "soul Dragon Soul"? I know I asked similar question before on the DBM thread so if it's not allowed here just pm the link.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:08 pm

Japanese vocal music? *Wants*
Ah, wait, now that I think of it... I might know of someone that could help with that, assuming I / someone else couldn't pull it off.
(And my computer just freaked out, potentially making this post look messed up. Boo.).

Good animation's a pain to work out. I think a team of someone from here with decent skills at editing / the art style and maybe someone with flash skill (I'm thinking check out Newgrounds, but another part of me regrets bringing it up, hahaha) might be able to pull it off. But... yeah... difficult.
You'd think all the tracing that Toyble uses in AF would make this easier... :lol:

I'm wondering if I should try making a song of some kind and posting it to see if it's worth it.
An original opening / ending sounds like a good idea to me, with probably a mix of DB/Z/GT and new music for BGM...

Eh, I'll link some music I've put online over the past several years... almost all midis for various purposes, but thought it might be worth bringing up:
media - for general stuff, and some extras with my virtual series. I've got quite a bit more than those, but most of it's written with video games in mind. Though I do have a few other things more meant as the background music to something (My audio project that fell apart...), but I don't really feel like that'd be much helpful in posting here.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

GenerationII
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GenerationII » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:59 pm

@ Scarz: I could REALLY use your help as an artist.

@Big Momma: I think you should whip up a tv sized version, just to hear how it sounds.

I am also working on the MIDI version of the ending theme I am writing. Actually, it's a rhapsody that I have been writing for, like, a year called "Desire" and I'm going to use it for something.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:29 am

GenerationII wrote:@ Scarz: I could REALLY use your help as an artist.
I'm in. It'll be fun to try to story board a DBAF intro despite my feelings I have towards the general plot of the comic.