The Chōzenshū databook thread: speculation, discussion, etc.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: The Chōzenshū databook thread: speculation, discussion,

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:52 pm

There's some promotional art on each of the pages that introduces each new work, but no new two-page spreads done by Tadayoshi Yamamuro, no.

Also, this:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/databook/chozenshu/vol-02/
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Raykugen
Regular

Post by Raykugen » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:58 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:There's some promotional art on each of the pages that introduces each new work, but no new two-page spreads done by Tadayoshi Yamamuro, no.
If they aren't on the next volume I wont waste my money on the chozenshus :thumbdown:
Do you want NEW GENERATION DRAGON BALL (Z, GT..) IMAGES? In HQ? Of all characters? Click here: http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=17178
My Deviantart: http://raykugen.deviantart.com/
Dragon Ball Characters Project Deviantart: http://dbcproject.deviantart.com/

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:08 pm

I was wondering about the omitted pages from the Daizenshuu. According to the site, there were previews for the final few episodes of Z, GT, and the tenth anniversary special. I know these have probably been removed, but did these pages originally have any interesting tidbits aside from synopses? Any cool artwork?
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:42 pm

Anyone else surprised that they acknowledged the existence of Kai? I thought it would be one of those things that they quietly brush under the rug.

But since Kai is continuing into Buu, won't this Chozenshu become dated? I guess it's only continuing outside of Japan, but still.

Tundra

Post by Tundra » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:25 pm

I was hoping they would include the Library of Adventure from Daizenshu's 3,5 and the supplementary TV Animation Part 3. I hoping it'll be included in Volume 3, since it's called the Animation Part 2. The page count according Amazon is 352 like the previous two volumes. Also it didn't seem like "The Path to Power" was covered in this volume, although it was covered in TV Animation Part 3. This could probably be covered in Volume 3 a long with the Library of Adventure to cover the page account (with new information about Battle of the Gods and the Toriyama interview).

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:40 pm

Tundra wrote:I was hoping they would include the Library of Adventure from Daizenshu's 3,5 and the supplementary TV Animation Part 3. I hoping it'll be included in Volume 3, since it's called the Animation Part 2. The page count according Amazon is 352 like the previous two volumes. Also it didn't seem like "The Path to Power" was covered in this volume, although it was covered in TV Animation Part 3. This could probably be covered in Volume 3 a long with the Library of Adventure to cover the page account (with new information about Battle of the Gods and the Toriyama interview).
Well, if they're going with the movies as the main content for the third volume, it makes sense to put the 10th Anniversary movie there.

What I want to know is, will they still include the preview page of that movie from Daizenshuu 6, with the character illustrations pre-redesign?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:18 pm

Dammit, wanted to buy these, but they are like double the price with shipping. Do you guys have any good retailers that you can recommend me?
Thanks a lot! :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Tundra

Post by Tundra » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:20 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
Tundra wrote:I was hoping they would include the Library of Adventure from Daizenshu's 3,5 and the supplementary TV Animation Part 3. I hoping it'll be included in Volume 3, since it's called the Animation Part 2. The page count according Amazon is 352 like the previous two volumes. Also it didn't seem like "The Path to Power" was covered in this volume, although it was covered in TV Animation Part 3. This could probably be covered in Volume 3 a long with the Library of Adventure to cover the page account (with new information about Battle of the Gods and the Toriyama interview).
Well, if they're going with the movies as the main content for the third volume, it makes sense to put the 10th Anniversary movie there.

What I want to know is, will they still include the preview page of that movie from Daizenshuu 6, with the character illustrations pre-redesign?
Me as well, although I'm still hoping they include the Library of Adventure from the Daizenshuu's that covered the anime and movies. Maybe also for the other specials that came out after the anime ended like Son Goku and Friends Return and the remake of Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyan.
MCDaveG wrote:Dammit, wanted to buy these, but they are like double the price with shipping. Do you guys have any good retailers that you can recommend me?
Thanks a lot! :)
I may have a guy, but what is the general price range others are charging for the book and what type of shipping are you looking for airmail or EMS.

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:22 am

I went with Kinokuniya. With shipping, the book is probably around $47. I decided to actually pick it up, but I didn't account for the fact that transportation is essentially the same price as shipping.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:49 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Anyone else surprised that they acknowledged the existence of Kai? I thought it would be one of those things that they quietly brush under the rug.

But since Kai is continuing into Buu, won't this Chozenshu become dated? I guess it's only continuing outside of Japan, but still.
I get the feeling that after the db movie comes out there may be enough of a resurgence in Japan they may end up airing the buu saga part of Kai in Japan anyway.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:54 am

Tundra wrote:I may have a guy, but what is the general price range others are charging for the book and what type of shipping are you looking for airmail or EMS.
Well, on Amazon Japan and CD Japan, it's cheap as hell around 20 dollars, but the shipping is like 45 dollars to my country.
On ebay, the books are for 45 pounds! from some greedy Japanese sellers and shipping is 25 pounds! That's insane allready.
Well, I'm used to airmail from ebay, only that is not the safest means of shipping. Last time, my Batman The Animated series from US got beaten up pretty bad.
If there is no option to get this for it's near original price and reasonable shipping, than I'm not buying it then, no stress.
(Like I can read it. But! Everyone, who is not a lazy slacker can learn Japanese in five days, it's so primitive language, you know)

Thanks a lot, if you'll come out with something, but don't stretch yourself :)

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:13 am

Will there be enough page in the movie Daizenshuu to make 352 pages with "Library of Adventure" added?

Also, I think the Chozenshuu 1 is better than the Chozenshuu 2. There seems to be nothing interesting in the 2nd Chozenshuu, not even in the new pages.

Beji
Regular

Post by Beji » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:22 am

I have no idea how to get the books for a decent price because of shipping. The shipping goes exponentially higher with weight as it always has... I don't know what happened to shipping AGAIN in Japan, but its ridiculous, you cannot bulk order, especially on cdjapan. I have 2 guys and for both of them they can only ship it for 17$ one at a time because it exceeds certain weight requirements to be economy shipping. so for me its either 27$+17 shipping or 23$ with 20$ shipping its like a lose-lose here when I already have the Daizenshuu... Unless SaiyaJedi is coming to the US anytime soon and wants to have a suitcase full of Chozenshu's instead of clothing :lol: . But the way it is right now is ridiculous. I cant even buy them with a few friends and get discount shipping because of their weight. That was usually how I would get steals on a lot of items...

EDIT: I can get a spare set of the 4 books for 140$ but I cant get them for cheaper than that... Any takers? I guess PM me we could get a group shipping thing going if you live in the US.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:23 pm

Well, having the shipping 17 dollars for item would be my dream probably. But no, I'm living in the planet's ass. I'm only on better position than some guys from Asian parts of Russia, Britain's Isle of Man or Angola.

Tundra

Post by Tundra » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:33 pm

MCDaveG wrote:
Tundra wrote:I may have a guy, but what is the general price range others are charging for the book and what type of shipping are you looking for airmail or EMS.
Well, on Amazon Japan and CD Japan, it's cheap as hell around 20 dollars, but the shipping is like 45 dollars to my country.
On ebay, the books are for 45 pounds! from some greedy Japanese sellers and shipping is 25 pounds! That's insane allready.
Well, I'm used to airmail from ebay, only that is not the safest means of shipping. Last time, my Batman The Animated series from US got beaten up pretty bad.
If there is no option to get this for it's near original price and reasonable shipping, than I'm not buying it then, no stress.
(Like I can read it. But! Everyone, who is not a lazy slacker can learn Japanese in five days, it's so primitive language, you know)

Thanks a lot, if you'll come out with something, but don't stretch yourself :)
The price I'm charged is around 45 dollars, with registered airmail about 19 dollars and EMS for about 35 dollars, since these are pretty big books. Also I forgot take in shipping prices for other country's. But if you want me to I contact him about a friend hoping to become a buyer. He also says that requested items usually take 7 days to arrive, but it arrives a lot sooner then 7 days.

Tundra

Post by Tundra » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:19 pm

JeffJarrett wrote:Will there be enough page in the movie Daizenshuu to make 352 pages with "Library of Adventure" added?

Also, I think the Chozenshuu 1 is better than the Chozenshuu 2. There seems to be nothing interesting in the 2nd Chozenshuu, not even in the new pages.
In Daizenshuu 3 and 5 the Library of Adventure page count is 32, 6 is 25, and the supplementary is just 3 (it only covered "The Path to Power" and what the main cast looked liked during the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai). This page count a long with Daizenshuu 6 original page count (217) it adds up to 309 pages. But since 6 doesn't cover "Path to Power" its inclusion into Chozenshuu 3 could increase the page count (there were also pictures relating to the movies and the anime which could add some more pages). They may also add more information about "Battle of the Gods" since it comes out at the end of month.

I have to agree with you about Chozenshuu 1 being better than 2, mainly because it includes information about Nekomajin Z and Episode of Bardock, and combined one of my favorite Daizenshuu's with another that included the various changes the main characters went through. I just got my copy today and Volume 2 was more of story walkthrough for the anime. Hopefully 3 will be a combination of both a walkthrough for the movies and have the Library of Adventure from other Daizenshuu's. Since the title is The Animation it's sort of an umbrella term, so while it may cover the movies it could also go back and the cover the anime as well.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:40 pm

The other big thing missing from Chouzenshuu 2 are the episode guides from Daizenshuu 3/5/supplemental. Those take up quite a number of pages too.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Tundra

Post by Tundra » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:58 pm

Herms wrote:The other big thing missing from Chouzenshuu 2 are the episode guides from Daizenshuu 3/5/supplemental. Those take up quite a number of pages too.
I forgot about missing episode guides. They could also put the Library of Adventure in volume 4, I don't know why though.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:47 am

I guess they will cover GT & the 10th anniversary in the next Chozenshuu.

Also, what's Library of Adventure again?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.