"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:54 pm

MaGyunia wrote:
Hence, my list as far as the new characters and stages from BoG and Fukkatsu no F goes would be as follows (from strongest to weakest, and I'm going to leave Champa and his attendant out of it as we really have no idea at this point where they stand as far as power level goes, though we can conceive our own theories regarding that matter):
1 - Whis
2 - Beerus
3 - Super Saiya-jin God Super Saiya-jin Goku
4 - Super Saiya-jin God Super Saiya-jin Vegeta
5 - Golden Freeza

6 - Super Saiya-jin God Goku
7 - Base Goku after having "absorbed" the abilities of SSJG
8 - Base Vegeta after having absorbed the abilities of SSJG
9 - Freeza in his fourth form after undergoing training
10 - Freeza in his first form after undergoing training (remember, he knocked Ultimate Gohan out with a single punch in this stage, although we could theoretically attribute this to Gohan's having let his guard down or some variation of this)
This is a misconception I see a lot, but in the movie Golden Freeza was actually stronger than Goku until his power drained too much.
Last edited by ArchedThunder on Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:56 pm

I just realized something...we're all making a huge mistake assuming Super takes place six months after Buu's death.

The beginning of the first episode says it took six months to wish for Buu being erased from people's minds (repeating what was explained in the end of that arc). But then the narration continues with "afterwards, time goes by.."
So it seems the six months refers to the wish, and only the wish, not the point where the series starts. It doesn't specify exactly how long went by since then.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:57 pm

Araki wrote:I just realized something...we're all making a huge mistake assuming Super takes place six months after Buu's death.

The beginning of the first episode says it took six months to wish for Buu being erased from people's minds (repeating what was explained in the end of that arc). But then the narration continues with "afterwards, time goes by.."
So it seems the six months refers to the wish, and only the wish, not the point where the series starts. It doesn't specify exactly how long went by since then.
I don't know what the actual line was due to weird translation, but Chi-Chi says something about farming and six months to Goku.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:00 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:I don't know what the actual line was due to weird translation, but Chi-Chi says something about farming to Goku and six months.
That must be a huge mistranslation, she just said "Goku, you promised to get a proper job and earn some money!" or something along these lines.

That's the problem with the lack of a simulcast and official subs...

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:04 pm

Araki wrote:I just realized something...we're all making a huge mistake assuming Super takes place six months after Buu's death.

Hmm didn't the manga also say something similar about time passing without giving an actual stamp on it?

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:07 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
MaGyunia wrote:
Hence, my list as far as the new characters and stages from BoG and Fukkatsu no F goes would be as follows (from strongest to weakest, and I'm going to leave Champa and his attendant out of it as we really have no idea at this point where they stand as far as power level goes, though we can conceive our own theories regarding that matter):
1 - Whis
2 - Beerus
3 - Super Saiya-jin God Super Saiya-jin Goku
4 - Super Saiya-jin God Super Saiya-jin Vegeta
5 - Golden Freeza

6 - Super Saiya-jin God Goku
7 - Base Goku after having "absorbed" the abilities of SSJG
8 - Base Vegeta after having absorbed the abilities of SSJG
9 - Freeza in his fourth form after undergoing training
10 - Freeza in his first form after undergoing training (remember, he knocked Ultimate Gohan out with a single punch in this stage, although we could theoretically attribute this to Gohan's having let his guard down or some variation of this)
This is a misconception I see a lot, but in the movie Golden Freeza was actually stronger than Goku until his power drained too much.
You're right. At some point in the restart of the fight between Freeza and Goku, just after Freeza turned into his Golden Freeza form, he manages to overcome Super Saiya-jin God Goku here and there, and Goku goes as far as saying that "he's losing somewhat". Since Vegeta's power in his SSJGSSJ stage is on par with Goku's in the same state, we can assume the result would be the same, Golden Freeza would be able to take the upper hand for some time. I deliberately chose to put Golden Freeza below both SSJGSSJ Goku and SSJGSSJ Vegeta both because of his inability to maintain that initial level of power he displayed when he fought SSJGSSJ Goku for the first few minutes and especially because I always had the theory that Goku as a Super Saiya-jin God Super Saiya-jin was holding back a bit; all the way throughout Fukkatsu no F, even after witnessing Golden Freeza's power, he just comes out as way too relaxed and failing to recognize Freeza as a real menace, so it could be that all the time during the fight he wasn't really putting everything he had into it. It's just a theory of my own, it could be totally wrong.
Last edited by MaGyunia on Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:08 pm

But didn't Toriyama (or the new Super guide, can't tell which one) say it begins 6 months after Boo?

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:22 pm

Doctor. wrote:But didn't Toriyama (or the new Super guide, can't tell which one) say it begins 6 months after Boo?
Kanzenshuu Dragon Ball Super Episode Guide wrote:The series was announced to, “…follow the aftermath of Goku’s fierce battle with Majin Buu, as he attempts to maintain earth’s fragile peace.” It was later confirmed that the series is set slightly after the showdown with Majin Buu and will link up with the franchise’s most recent movies, Battle of Gods and Revival of “F”. The series’ story begins six months following the defeat of Majin Buu as a prequel to Battle of Gods, with Son Goku working as a farmer prior to heading off to train with Kaiō as seen at the beginning of the movie and following Beerus waking up to search for the Super Saiyan God.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Makai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Makai » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:27 pm

Didn't it take a year for them to forget about Majin Buu or something like that? They didn't know who he was in the first episode.

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:40 pm

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:But didn't Toriyama (or the new Super guide, can't tell which one) say it begins 6 months after Boo?
Kanzenshuu Dragon Ball Super Episode Guide wrote:The series was announced to, “…follow the aftermath of Goku’s fierce battle with Majin Buu, as he attempts to maintain earth’s fragile peace.” It was later confirmed that the series is set slightly after the showdown with Majin Buu and will link up with the franchise’s most recent movies, Battle of Gods and Revival of “F”. The series’ story begins six months following the defeat of Majin Buu as a prequel to Battle of Gods, with Son Goku working as a farmer prior to heading off to train with Kaiō as seen at the beginning of the movie and following Beerus waking up to search for the Super Saiyan God.
It could be that these first episodes of DBSuper will be the only ones placed 6 months after the defeat of Kid Buu, and that they'll do a time skip to 4 years later and have Goku and the others meet Beerus and Whis at the same timing as we've seen in BoG, although certain events within or surrounding BoG would necessarily need to be erased (just for example, Goku's fight against Beerus as a Super Saiya-jin 3 on Kaiou-sama's planet, Beerus' and Whis' struggle to find out who or what exactly SSJG is, if anything at all, and Beerus only waking up at that time and talking about his dream and the Oracle Fish's premonition).

This potential time skip - which I honestly don't think will happen - would enable BoG to be seen as "almost canon", since the only change between the events of the movie and the arc within DBSuper would be the fact that Beerus was already awake 6 months after the Majin Buu arc instead of waking up 4 years later and the fact that he already knew about the concept of Super Saiya-jin God instead of having dreamed about it and later looking for him/the way for a Saiya-jin to reach that stage by asking Shenlong, all the time not even being sure if it was just a stupid dream or not and whether that fighter/stage existed or not.

Hell, if that time skip actually happened, even the 2008 special could potentially be maintained as a canon continuation of the timeline.

The link between the introduction of Beerus, Whis, Super Saiya-jin God Goku and the Fukkatsu no F arc will one way or the other be much easier to make, though, thankfully.

The Doc
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Doc » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:22 pm

Yeah, also the plot synopsis for episode one of DBS in Weekly Shonen Jump from a few weeks back mentions that we're kicking off six months after Buu.
Episode #1, “Who Will the 100 Million Zenny Peace Reward Go To…?!”

With the Earth at peace, Goku earns money?!
Six months after the fierce battle with Majin Buu. While the days pass peacefully, Goku works tilling the soil like Chi-Chi had ordered him, while still finding time to train. Meanwhile, newly-weds Gohan and Videl are living happily, but…?!

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:46 pm

Time for me to make a new prediction based off of the new info we got today! I know only some of my predictions have been right, but I'll be damned if it isn't fun to speculate!

Episode 3 will be Beerus on another planet, he'll remember his Super Saiyan God dream and have Whis begin taking them to Kaio's planet after he gives him the low down on the remaining Saiyans. We'll see some more Goku training and maybe some more stuff of the extended cast, the episode will end with the setup for Bulma's birthday on her cruise ship.

Episode 4 will be a lot of Pilaf shenanigans along with some extended cast interactions on the cruise ship. Goku will be warned about Beerus and the episode will end with Beerus showing up on Kaio's planet.

Episode 5 will start with the skirmish between Goku and Beerus and will end just as quickly as it did in the movie, Beerus will then go to Earth and the majority of the episode will be interactions with Beerus at Bulma's birthday party. The episode will end with Beerus getting mad.

Episode 6 will start with different characters going at Beerus one at a time and getting absolutely destroyed, they then realize that they need to work together to have a chance, so we finally get our group battle against Beerus that Toriyama wanted. Scenes of Goku on Kaio's planet trying to figure out Super Saiyan God and scenes of Pilaf and his gang freaking out will be spliced into the battle so that it more than just fighting.

Episode 7 will have Vegeta get his rage boost and his fight with Beerus will be a bit longer than it was in the movie, but it will end the same way. Goku shows up and they use the Dragon Balls to figure out Super Saiyan God, Goku goes God by whatever way they plan to have it achieved in the series and the episode will end with Beerus and Goku locking eyes.

Episode 8 will mainly be Beerus vs God Goku, their fight takes off like in the movie and Bulma hits a button to turn the cruise ship into an airship so they can follow the battle, then we'll probably get some stuff with Pilaf's gang freaking out that they can't get off the ship now. Goku and Beerus's fight will be broken up with a few scenes of the rest of the cast, just like in the movie.

Episode 9's first half will be the part of the battle where Goku has lost his God form and they take the battle to space, the second half will be them on Earth after the battle and Beerus decides not to blow up the Earth. Instead of offering the job of God of Destruction to Goku is Beerus dies, Whis instead offers to train Goku and Vegeta and they agree.

Then episode 10 will be the start of a small training and slice of life arc much like the begining of the series, it'll last probably 2-4 episodes and have the opening of F (him getting resurrected and training) as well as the introduction of Champa. Then we'll jump face first into the F arc which will probably last a similar 5 or so episodes.
Another reason I think this will work really well is because this would mean the F arc would start either right before or right after the film has released on DVD and Bluray, which would be nice for some cross promotion.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:55 pm

If Pilaf and his gang are kids then they could have become kids a year or two before the Buu saga. It can explain how they got so young if BOG takes six months after Buu.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Ryuji-Otogi
Banned

Post by Ryuji-Otogi » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:40 pm

I stopped paying attention to anime for a few weeks and I come back to see that there's a brand new DBZ series on air?!! When the heck did this happen? That's awesome! Is there any known idea of how long the series is supposed to run? Like just a few episodes or maybe even a good 50 episodes like GT? This is nuts. I haven't even seen Resurrection F yet.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:44 pm

Ryuji-Otogi wrote:I stopped paying attention to anime for a few weeks and I come back to see that there's a brand new DBZ series on air?!! When the heck did this happen? That's awesome! Is there any known idea of how long the series is supposed to run? Like just a few episodes or maybe even a good 50 episodes like GT? This is nuts. I haven't even seen Resurrection F yet.
We have three arcs confirmed. One retelling BoG, one retelling RF, and one detailing a trip to universe 6

ssj5andres

Post by ssj5andres » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:48 pm

concept art :D
(In general, not only the next episode 8) )
Last edited by ssj5andres on Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:50 pm

Wait, so Goku is already encountering Beerus in the next episode? O.o
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:52 pm

I love behind the scenes stuff like this. X3

What kind of service does it say after Vegeta?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:54 pm

Ha! It says the reason Vegeta and family are going to this amusement park is because of that time when Vegeta and Trunks were training together, and Vegeta promised to take Trunks to an amusement park if he managed to hit his face. Was that confirmed already? I know I didn't make that connection at all until now.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.