Return of the Well Drawn DBAF fan-manga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Return of the Well Drawn DBAF fan-manga

Post by DaemonCorps » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:48 pm

Well, I figured I'd check this site since I haven't seen it in a while and whaddya know-- it's actually updated! The last time I checked it, you only had access to pages 1-11, then 57-59, but now, we've also got access to pages 12-20.

As mentioned in a previous forum about this site, it looks like this fan-manga counts GT in its continuity (ugh), but it makes up for that by bringing back Freeza not to mention his mother.

Based on the newly added pictures, Gohan is now a teacher at Goten's school. Also, Goten has taken the role of Satan City's protector as Great Saiyaman Mark 3. But sadly, ol' GS-Man is being upstaged by Papaya Man, Oob's superhero alter-ego.

Anyways, check it out, and keep in mind it's fan made, and maybe we'll get more additional pages of this manga soon!
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:58 pm

Wow, that is actually really well drawn.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:02 pm

Despite not being able to read a spec of this, seeing this gives me great joy.

THIS is a good fan manga. I want to see more, actually.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:06 pm

Two questions:

1. When is Julian translating this for us? *cracks whip*

2. Is it early to speculate about future April Fools pranks?

Synthe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Synthe » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:10 pm

http://www.toywarble.com/toy/page_thumb61.htm
re drawing bulma is cheap.

http://www.toywarble.com/toy/dragonballAF2.htm
Also SSJ5 is unrealstic even if its supposed to be a dragon ball af comic.
Last edited by Synthe on Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jwimz
Beyond Newbie

Post by jwimz » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:11 pm

Wow, I'm impressed, looks very similar to Toriyama. Yes, we need translations!

It is never to early to start planning April Fools pranks!

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:27 pm

Its cool that the author of that Manga is committed. I can't wait until that manga is finished, the art and story already looks really good. :wink:

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:29 pm

desirecampbell wrote:When is Julian translating this for us? *cracks whip*
I think it's safe to say that there won't be a translation of this up on daizEX anytime soon, since it's not official DB merchandise nor is it done (as far as we know) by a published mnaga-ka.
Synthe wrote:Also SSJ5 is unrealstic even if its supposed to be a dragon ball af comic.
Yeah. When it comes to SSJ levels, I think three is enough. I mean, Toriyama made a pretty big deal that you had to be pretty strong to maintain being in SSJ3. But there's always that loophole that the heroes are just getting stronger and thus can reach even higher (and more absurd) levels of SSJ.

But let's stry away from that topic; I was aiming for this topic to just be our comments on the person's work. :)
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:03 pm

Kuriza's even in there, friggin' awesome! XD

The artist seems very talented, I'd definitely say on par with some Toriyama-styled dojin artists. In the immortal words of Movie 13's title, If Julian doesn't translate this, who will!? Side note; Freeza's Mom looks an awful lot like a cross between Zangya and the West Supreme Kaioshin. :D

AF or not, this cover came very close to bringing a tear to my eye knowing how GT ends before the final 8 minutes.

EDIT: Yay, Pilaf! XDDDDD
14 years later

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:01 pm

Bah, amatuer!

That artist has nothing on these guys :P

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:18 am

Castor Troy wrote:Bah, amatuer!

*Clicks and gets attacked by pop-ups* @_@
Hey that site stole one of Kabu's drawings. *Points to the art that's tinted red*

Anyways, I'm so very excited this artist decided to continue it. Great Saiyaman 3. Interesting concept.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

_Jrinu_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by _Jrinu_ » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:35 am

Castor Troy wrote:Bah, amatuer!

Oy! Don't even get me started on that website.

It is so freaking ridiculous.

Anyway...

I'm glad to see this author back at work.

If anyone hasn't seen them yet, I have located on-line the original first 10 pages that have been up for quite some time now translated, if anyone wants them.
There is no better combination in the world than Dragonball, Cherry Pepsi, and Cheez-Its. It's a proven fact.
The Super Saiya-jin Bobba Fetts: Gym Class Badminton Champions 2006!!
Wii Friend Code: 1134 6268 9135 3724/ Xbox live gamertag: Jrinu
Jump Ultimate Stars Code: 2534 9452 9303

Snail

Post by Snail » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:42 am

Wow, I've been to this site before, and it was a link I got from the forums right here. The artwork is very close to Toriyama's style in the manga. Hopefully this does get translated. And, hopefully whoever made the page, will finish uploading all of the pages in the near future.

Caster Troy, I believe that it isn't really fair when you're comparing those images, which were manipulated, colored with photoshop, and various effects, to the simple inked drawings. I'd say this guy's artwork is much more closer to Toriyama's, and that takes the cake for me. Afterall, this is a Dragonball fan manga.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:00 am

_Jrinu_ wrote:If anyone hasn't seen them yet, I have located on-line the original first 10 pages that have been up for quite some time now translated, if anyone wants them.
Three words: Give, give, give...and a fourth, please.
14 years later

Gouki*
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gouki* » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:19 am

That's some really nice work. Some of it looks a bit rough, but otherwise, that's great!
... Maybe later.

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:34 am

Good stuff, but Daemon what makes you think that female Kaioshin (West Kaioshin?) is Freeza's mother? It looks like she's drowning him in that second page.

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:27 am

Any word on translations anytime soon?
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:14 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:what makes you think that female Kaioshin (West Kaioshin?) is Freeza's mother?
That's what it says.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:03 am

It's good and welldrawn, but why does it seem like a lot of the pictures are re-drawn form the original, but with some small changes?

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:06 am

Godo wrote:It's good and welldrawn, but why does it seem like a lot of the pictures are re-drawn form the original, but with some small changes?
Thats what I thought too, mainly speaking about the picture with Goku, Cell, and Buu- I think that was a re-drawing of Goku vs. (Majin) Vegeta. Also, the Great Saiyaman 3 looks like photocopies imo :? ..
Also, does anyone understand how this work- how could that Kaioshin be alive (and evil for that matter) and wasn't Freeza very dead by now. This level of confusion makes GT look like canon. :? :?
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]