What do you like/dislike about the Season box sets?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

balrog
Not-So-Newbie

What do you like/dislike about the Season box sets?

Post by balrog » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:55 pm

I liked:

The price, so cheap for that many episodes. Especially considering I got it on ebay for half the price.

All of the blood and a bit of gore. Finally get to see all of that good stuff!

The new dub, I think it gives it a more realistic feel, and is the truest to the original Japanese dialogue as you can get.

How you could change a bunch of different sound options without having to go back to some main screen.

Their solution to the choppy animation, which was to make the really choppy parts kind of dissolve into each other, I liked.

The marathon feature, don't have to listen to that guy every 19 mins.

I didn't like:

The new English opening theme. They should have just kept it to Ball the Dragon, or some other old one.

Some of the voice actors couldn't seem to return to their more youthy voices.

And I can't really say that I hated the wide screen, but it would have been better if they left it out.

Overall, I thought the box sets were really good. A few flaws, but yeah I can get over that. As long as I can get em for $20 or less on eBay, I'm pretty sure I'll be buying the whole series.

Brad Redfield
Regular

Re: What do you like/dislike about the Season box sets?

Post by Brad Redfield » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:05 pm

balrog wrote:The new dub, I think it gives it a more realistic feel, and is the truest to the original Japanese dialogue as you can get.
...its nearly the exact same dub as the broadcast version, only with very few different lines and the original japanese BGM. :P
How you could change a bunch of different sound options without having to go back to some main screen.
...you can do that on any DVD that has audio options.
Their solution to the choppy animation, which was to make the really choppy parts kind of dissolve into each other, I liked.
...what?

And no offense dude but the whole season boxset ordeal has been done to death. :P

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:09 pm

Liked - Price and Marathon feature.

Disliked - The Dub, despite minor revisions, is still nothing like the Japanese dialogue. At all. It's horrible. Just turn on the Japanese subtitles while watching the dub. I don't really care, cuz' I watch it in Japanese, but I thought I'd point it out.

- The Video Quality is a joke made to look good at a glance, but really is pathetic and bleeds frames together at times. Also, 80% of all the footage is edited out (widescreen).

- The entire thing is false advertising. This is NOT the way it was "meant to be seen".

What else? The Box? The booklet? It's all pretty much crap compared to the Japanese release, which FUNimation probably could have gotten for a little bit more money than they spent. Big loss to treat the property with some actual respect?

Worst of all is that they sell well and most people like them.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:22 pm

03: Encoding treatment, such as 7 episodes a dual-layer disc rather than 8.
04: Dub w/t JP BGM, mainly because it's something I always wanted from the FUNi dub like original DB.

Dislikes:
01: FUNi didn't go for getting the Dragonbox quality footage like a Spanish company with less money than them did.
02: FUNi's complete bullshit advertising campaign, throwing out one lie after another to us.
03: The remastering job resulting in both cropped video that was not how this anime was originally meant to be seen by either Toei or FUNi and a noticeable amount of detail loss and washed out colors in comparison to the original source from trying to modernize the show, alongside the already visually degraded 4th gen. film prints.
04: Offering the episodes "Uncut", but failing to point out only as uncut as they recieve the masters; incorrect OP/ED sequences for episodes 1-21, textless versions of the OP/ED for the rest of the series, and zero next-episode previews due to the audioless quality.
05: The very tacky lack of extras when comparing to releases such as Ultimate Uncut volume 1, the re-release of Dead Zone (which had a commentary), a few of the later DBZ movies like 6 and 8, etc.
06: The very obvious goofs in the official manuals coming with the sets that could be so very easily corrected.
07: The screwing over of the TV Broadcast track in Season 2 and most likely Season 3 as well, as that ruins all nostalgic purpose for those wanting those specific seasons for the original "TV Broadcast" versions.

*cough!*
14 years later

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:10 pm

Letsee...

Dislikes -

The widescreen and video quality issues everyone else is bitching about.
The dub's bad dialogue (especially the odd choices in the few redubbed parts)
FUNimation's disinterest and misleading advertisement.

Likes -

Affordable
Owning and being able to watch my favorite series in a series of convenient packages.
Subtitled FTW
The Dub w/ Japanese BGM
Last edited by Kaboom on Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:39 pm

:P

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:32 pm

Duo wrote:Liked - Price and Marathon feature.
Seconded, but I'll add Daimao Subtitles, right? (as in finally for these episodes).

Everything else is worse than before I think.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:07 pm

ect5150 wrote:
Duo wrote:Liked - Price and Marathon feature.
Seconded, but I'll add Daimao Subtitles, right? (as in finally for these episodes).

Everything else is worse than before I think.
That was part of the singles, so I felt no need to include it.

But considering I don't speak Japanese and I only watched the Japanese version and I won't buy bootlegs, it may just be that I do, in fact, love Steven J. Simmons.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:06 am

Likes: Some of the laughs I've gotten from reading posts of the stereotypical dub fan praising the sets, and laughs from some of the screencaps from the set where colors mold together.

Dislikes: Everything else.
­

Ozma15

Post by Ozma15 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:52 am

Likes: Cheap price, Masako Nozawa, Mayumi Tanaka, Shigeru Chiba, Ryo Horikawa, Hirotaka Suzuoki, Hiroko Emori, Toru Furuya, Mayumi Shou, Daisuke Gori, Toshio Furukawa, Hiromi Tsuru, Jouji Yanami, Naoko Watanabe, Naoki Tatsuta, Kohei Miyauchi, Mami Koyama, Takeshi Aono, Junpei Takiguchi, and Steve Simmons.

Dislikes: Missing detail, widescreen, orange, and the realization that if I had money, I'd buy the other box with previously edited-only episodes. I suck.

Edit: I forgot the redub to Piccolo's death. HatehatehateHATE.
Last edited by Ozma15 on Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://fanfiction.net/~kuwachan]FanFiction.Net Profile[/url] | [url=http://livejournal.com/~perpetual_poet]LiveJournal[/url]

"Persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot." --Mark Twain

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:01 am

Absolutely loved: Daimao's subs. The original audio track.

Hated so much I actually can't stomach watching it anymore: everything else.

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:41 am

What I love:

- The Japanese music in the Dub. YES! :twisted:

- The good, $30 price compared to the possibly massive amount of cash required to buy the old sets.

- The Marathon feature

- The fact that the sets are being released again, and that I wasn't able to get them in the past.

- Slim, nice-looking design. The smaller, the better! :P

What I didn't like:

- I don't necessarily like the Widescreen, but I'll deal with it.

- Some of the crappy white spots in some of the scenes. Ugly as hell! :(
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:21 am

1) Japanese BGM in the English dub. (The dub's not perfect, but the original BGM definitely makes it better-sounding in my opinion. Now I can watch the series with my more anime-casual friends and not cringe.)

2) Inexpensive price & so many episodes per set.

3) Original Japanese version & top-notch translated subtitles by Mr. Simmons. (The main reason I buy the sets, I've never seen the first 67 episodes in Japanese unitl now.)

4) Marathon feature. (Now I can watch the series w/ my Dad and not have to skip OP/ED songs every 20 mins.)

Dislikes:

1) The remastering: What I mean is, the blurring & over-brightening of the footage that makes animation lines disappear & Gohan's face look ghost-white. The widescreen is the least of my worries compared to this; I would've been perfectly happy w/ FUNi's older 4:3 masters (from the original DVD releases.)

2) Not complete Japanese music in the dub. HEAD-CHA-LA is gone, certain BGM pieces & image songs are gone. Makes me wonder what's going to be missing during the Trunks-Cell arcs.

Nitpicks (not real important, but I feel I should mention them.)
3) Cheap packaging. The slipcover is just cheap paper, they've should've gone the route of The Simpsons or South Park DVD sets & used a thicker cardboard sleeve for the digipack case. With as much moving around as my DVDs tend to do, the paper sleeve won't last another year or 2.

Overall, I feel that $20-$25 is a good price for each, and I do plan on collecting the rest of the series this way. (Seeing as I have all the other FUNi DBZ DVDs, I own eps. 67-291 in 4:3 anyway.) Bite me. :lol:

- Bilis
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Re: What do you like/dislike about the Season box sets?

Post by SonGokuGT » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:09 am

LIKED:

-Episode to price ratio.
-Japanese BGM with the dub. [Made it watchable]
-Inclusion of the Japanese audio track.
-Steve Simmons' subtitles.

DISLIKED:

-Cropping to 16:9 aspect ratio. [Pointless and lazy]
-FUNimation's lies regarding the sets. [Very disrespectful to the fans]
-FUNimation's reluctance to comment on said lies.
-Shitty remastering job and trying to claim it as top-notch.
-English dub with Japanese BGM has Zenkai Power but no Head Cha La?
-No Japanese credits for the opening
-No episode-specific credits in the ending. [Just repeating episode 1's!]
-No next episode previews. [The biggest letdown for me...]
Last edited by SonGokuGT on Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:40 pm

Wow, this is a foregone question. I'm sure you have seen my answer in a previous post:

Likes...

- The layout of the boxsets. How every boxset contains almost an entire saga on it's own instead of just a handful pf episodes.
- The price. Well within almost any fans wallet size and pretty fair considering the amount of episodes we get.
- Original Japanese versions and original soundtrack
- Steve Simmons subtitles.
- English dub for those who like it (I'm slowly but surely becoming a former dubbie though I still like to watch it).

Dislikes... (where do I start)
- The 16:9 aspect ratio. If it where not widescreen I probably would have overlooked the other problems and would have bought the set.
- Poor remastering job.
- Packaging could be much better. The first (Saiyajin) saga set looks awful.
- The false advertising for said sets and poor PR job in response.
- No ending credits beyond the first episode just makes the episodes look more sloppy.
- No "Head Cha La" theme as well as some other missing pieces of music.
- Some bad redubbing dialogue and parts of the dialogue the English dub could have done over.

Hironobu Timex

Post by Hironobu Timex » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:03 pm

I haven't watched Dragon Ball Z since 2002 because I hated Falconer's music and I couldn't afford $25 per every 3 to 4 episodes. The orange brick is what got me back in. I got excited when reading that it had the original Japanese music and revised English dialogue, plus I'd never seen this part of the series uncut. The dub still isn't on target with the Japanese version, but its still a much improved script from what I remember. (This really isn't due to the revised English dailogue, just the recent ultimate uncut redub, I think.) I love the sets, but the remastered picture is pretty lousy and ridiculously overhyped. I hope they do something with it in future DBZ releases, but I'll continue to buy these for the more enjoyable English audio, and Daimao's translations to the Japanese audio.

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:52 pm

I bought both seasons 1 and 2,, but mainly for the following reasons - Simmon's sub translations and to watch it in Japanese (as many of my bootlegged subs are of poor quality).
Just Saiyan...

raz1337

Post by raz1337 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:55 pm

It isn't unwatchable with the widescreen, definitely works. It's just, very frustrating knowing what you're really missing and what Funi really did. I'm debating whether I want to buy the Trunks Saga to Trunks killing Cell in his timeline just to watch it subbed when it comes out. I told myself I wouldn't buy past season 1 just because of the widescreen, though.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:51 pm

I disliked the part where they did the stuff.

You know, the stuff.

-Corey

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:15 pm

Ok, let's make another list of stuff everyone else said!

Things I liked include:
Dub with Japanese BGM, especially since the Ultimate Uncut dub music was damn near unbearable.
The fact that the Australian release doesn't have shitty packaging like the US. :P
And... Uh... Well, it's a helluva lot cheaper than the single releases.

Things I didn't like include:
Unfixed errors, like Raditz claiming Planet Vegeta was destroyed three years ago.
The cropping, it was especially bad during Z Warriors vs. Nappa.
The really dodgy "remastering". Seriously, the street cleaner's face on Snake Way literally disappears at one point!
And I didn't like that Cha-la-Head-Cha-la wasn't on the dub with Japanese BGM track.