Character Development in Dragonball?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VargVikernes

Character Development in Dragonball?

Post by VargVikernes » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:50 pm

Earlier I read a review of Dragonball Z(Funi dub, I assume). It gave it a 1.0 out of 10. In this review, it stated that Dragonball Z had little to no character development throughout the series. I thought about it, and actually agreed with it slightly. Does anyone else agree with this? I mean, I love Dragonball as much as the rest of you here, but the character development thing just seemed true to me.

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Thats not true at all. The series had a great deal of development with Vegeta, Gohan and Piccolo.

VargVikernes

Post by VargVikernes » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:58 pm

Yeah, you're right, now that I think of it. I suppose I wasn't thinking very clearly on the subject at the time, considering Goku went through many developments.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:07 pm

Victator Supreme wrote:Gohan
Prove it. Image

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:08 pm

Victator Supreme wrote:Thats not true at all. The series had a great deal of development with Vegeta, Gohan and Piccolo.
And Goku, Bulma, Yamcha, Tenshinhan to a lesser degree (but he disappeared pretty quick).

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:15 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Victator Supreme wrote:Gohan
Prove it. Image
He went thru significant development thru out the series. Centered around his struggle to become a warrior and live up to his fathers legacy. Its one of the central story arcs of the series.

Freeza93
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza93 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:26 pm

Wow if a kid growing up isn't character development i don't know what is.
Last edited by Freeza93 on Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I finally bought a gamecube. To bad they don't make any games for it now.

VargVikernes

Post by VargVikernes » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:29 pm

Freeza93 wrote:Wow if a kid growing up isn't character development i don;t know what is.
My thoughts exactly

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Character Development in Dragonball?

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:42 pm

VargVikernes wrote:Earlier I read a review of Dragonball Z(Funi dub, I assume). It gave it a 1.0 out of 10. In this review, it stated that Dragonball Z had little to no character development throughout the series. I thought about it, and actually agreed with it slightly. Does anyone else agree with this? I mean, I love Dragonball as much as the rest of you here, but the character development thing just seemed true to me.
It's very true about the FUNI dub, since it over glorifies the Martial Artists as Super-Heroes.

They are made into fighting machines, without emotion, without regret. Of course, this is changed some early in the Saiyan Saga, but still, it doesn't really matter.

In the original, we see that Goku starts out as a young boy that is ignorant of the world around him that fights for his life eventually, and even figures out that he killed his grandpa, the man he loved the most. Goku has to tell his wife that his son has died, Gohan has to tell his mom that Goku has died. When Vegeta dies, Bulma busts out crying.

I mean, hell, it's full of emotion and character development, but that all gets removed in the dubbing process.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:59 pm

Victator Supreme wrote:He went thru significant development thru out the series. Centered around his struggle to become a warrior and live up to his fathers legacy. Its one of the central story arcs of the series.
Except he never becomes a warrior and never lives up to his father's legacy, because he keeps running on the hamster wheel of "don't wanna!"-"IHAVEFURY"-"don't wanna!".

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Re: Character Development in Dragonball?

Post by Casual Matt » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:01 pm

VargVikernes wrote:Earlier I read a review of Dragonball Z(Funi dub, I assume). It gave it a 1.0 out of 10. In this review, it stated that Dragonball Z had little to no character development throughout the series. I thought about it, and actually agreed with it slightly. Does anyone else agree with this? I mean, I love Dragonball as much as the rest of you here, but the character development thing just seemed true to me.
If Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z were one series instead of being split up, claims like this would probably never ever be made. And if so, they would be even more ignorant.

The two shows coupled together shows some of the most character development I've ever seen in a children's cartoon. Almost every character grows in some way throughout the series. Many of them a lot throughout the series.

Hell, I don't even see how any amount of bad dubbing could really change this point, either. You'd have to really try to make Dragon Ball / Z a show with little character development.

I mean, seriously. The characters are the whole reason I love the show. And sure, it's true that there's not as much development in Z. But isn't that because most of the cast was already greatly developed and defined?

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:14 pm

In all honesty, there were probably less than five characters in the series that got anything close to character development and that would be (in no real order): Gohan, Vegeta, Piccolo, (Future) Trunks, and Goku (who got his own series to prove that). I'd say Bardock is an honorable mention even though he wasn't around for long. IDK, it's not neccessarily a bad thing that there isn't too much character development, it just wasn't that kind of series I suppose.
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:19 pm

I've heard many say Goku never changed (character wise) during the duration of the series... i think that's BS. he doesn't change as much as for example Piccolo or Vegeta...but to say his character hasn't developed is stretching it.
Just Saiyan...

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:01 pm

SaiyaMel wrote:I've heard many say Goku never changed (character wise) during the duration of the series... i think that's BS. he doesn't change as much as for example Piccolo or Vegeta...but to say his character hasn't developed is stretching it.
Well, Goku's just one of those characters who was pretty much entirely developed in Pre-Z Dragon Ball. And we all know he had a crapton of development there. I mean there's only so much a character can grow.

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:14 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Victator Supreme wrote:He went thru significant development thru out the series. Centered around his struggle to become a warrior and live up to his fathers legacy. Its one of the central story arcs of the series.
Except he never becomes a warrior and never lives up to his father's legacy, because he keeps running on the hamster wheel of "don't wanna!"-"IHAVEFURY"-"don't wanna!".
And thats development. It turned out he wasnt suppose to be a warrior. He found happiness as a scholar who can blow up the universe.
It's very true about the FUNI dub, since it over glorifies the Martial Artists as Super-Heroes.
Really you saw no emotion in the Buu episodes? When Vegeta was possesssed by Babidi? Or when he realised Gohan had been killed by Buu? Or when the others were told Gohan and Vegeta had been killed? Their are numerous other examples of characters in the dub showing great emotion.

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:02 am

Victator Supreme wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
And thats development. It turned out he wasnt suppose to be a warrior. He found happiness as a scholar who can blow up the universe.
Really you saw no emotion in the Buu episodes? When Vegeta was possesssed by Babidi? Or when he realised Gohan had been killed by Buu? Or when the others were told Gohan and Vegeta had been killed? Their are numerous other examples of characters in the dub showing great emotion.
It seemed almost forced more often than not, but that's just my opinion.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:20 am

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece wrote: It seemed almost forced more often than not, but that's just my opinion.
I would have to agree, when the dub tries to go for emotion, it just seems really forced to me, especially in the Boo saga with dub Goku's left field "inspirational" speech when he's trying to get Vegeta to fuse with him about how they are starting a "new race"..and it's "just as proud"..:?

Even my little sister who is a dub fan, even said "Yeah..whatever, if anything that speech would cause Vegeta to kill himself on the spot, not fuse with you"

In my opinion there isn't really any such thing as subtlety in Funi's dub, they seem to go for broke during the "emotional" moments in the series, they either end up completely underwhelming, or completely over the top.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:27 am

Captain Awesome wrote:Even my little sister who is a dub fan, even said "Yeah..whatever, if anything that speech would cause Vegeta to kill himself on the spot, not fuse with you"
But Vegeta, you're already dead! :P
In my opinion there isn't really any such thing as subtlety in Funi's dub, they seem to go for broke during the "emotional" moments in the series, they either end up completely underwhelming, or completely over the top.

Eh, I disagree, kinda. I thought the Majin Vegeta portions were very well done.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:54 am

Rocketman wrote:
But Vegeta, you're already dead! :P
LAWL
Rocketman wrote: Eh, I disagree, kinda. I thought the Majin Vegeta portions were very well done.
I recently picked up the Majin Vegeta episodes, so I'll have to switch the audio track over, I'm yet to hear them, I'm assuming you're talking about Vegeta trashing the Tenkaichi Budokai and confronting Goku?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:44 am

Captain Awesome wrote:especially in the Boo saga with dub Goku's left field "inspirational" speech when he's trying to get Vegeta to fuse with him about how they are starting a "new race"..and it's "just as proud"..:?
They seriously had him say that?! That would make ME want to kill myself.>> Or at the very least, to quote a friend of mine, "barf rainbows".
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."