Episode #0125 (20 April 2008)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0125 (20 April 2008)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:31 pm

Episode #0125 (download MP3)
41:01; 64 kbps, mono; 18.7 MB

Episode #0125! VegettoEX and Meri tackle yet another inconsistency between the manga and TV series. In DBZ TV episode 95, Piccolo is shot through the chest by Freeza after knocking Goku out of the way. However, in the manga, it doesn't appear that Piccolo actually pushes Goku out of the way, and rather, the blast was intended for Piccolo all along. Your e-mails and the last chance to enter the current contest round out the episode. Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the appalling *one-hundred-twenty-five* episodes, now.

It wasn't until I got going with the new video that I realized just how many hours of work it actually takes to put one of them together :P. It was super fun, though, and it got even more interesting as we kept taking a look at the two different versions of the scene. Definitely let us know what you think about it.

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Vegeta Jr
Regular

Post by Vegeta Jr » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:45 pm

I agree it is inconsistent, as no mark is there when he falls 'on' Goku but him 'taking' a bullet for him isn't out of the realm of impossibility, in the eyes of Toei Piccolo knew Goku was the only one of them who still had a chance against Freeza.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:49 pm

Even though it IS inconsistant, I think its pretty cool.
It is, afterall, around this point where Piccolo " turns " into a good guy (dispite the scene where he flips out after being beaten by the Artificial Humans, proclaiming that he is STILL going to rule the world one day, but I agree with Kuririn, he was just bluffing).
So its pretty cool to see Piccolo make a noble act such as this.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:02 pm

I have 2 different itmes to address for the inconsistancy. The first is Why frieza would have gone for Goku in the show instead of picking off the little guys first. Assuming that Goku was the most powerful person he has fought; maybe he got scared and wanted to wipe him out before there is another close call. Secondly, why piccolo knocked goku out of the way and got shot threw the chest. Personly i DO think he did it emotionally to save Goke, BUT maybe he did it becuase he knew he could not defeat Frieza and NEEDED Goku to take him out.

Sonicmark

Post by Sonicmark » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:35 pm

Another great podcast as usual with a very incitful poignant inconsistancy.
I originally thought mainly Freeza took out Goku first for dramatic affect, to make the audience care that little more about Goku. But the manga does this a lot more because obviously more pain is caused for Goku thus making it more dramatic.
Perhaps though, it was Toriyama's doing because it makes the audience feel sad for Piccolo, as a way of warming us to him as a sort of indication he's going to become a good guy.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:14 pm

It's worth noting on the "Why didn't all of the Saiyans come back to life? question that the one year rule for revival is only ever mentioned that once, and specifically in relation to reviving a large number of people. Apparently the idea is that "all the people killed by Freeza and his men" includes such a large number of people that even Shenlong couldn't bring them all back at once, and so it had to be resticted to those killed within the last year (this is all in the conversation that Kaio and Kami-sama have). It's never mentioned anywhere that individual people can't be revived one year after they're killed, though that's a misconception many fans get from this scene.

Of course, even if the Saiyans were revived, since there is no longer any Planet Vegeta they'd all just die again pretty quickly.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:31 pm

At this point in time I don't think Piccolo would have jumped in the way for Goku because even though he is less hostile than before he is still not really friends with anybody except Gohan. When he was training with Tien and Yamcha he rarely talked to them and wouldn't train with them so I don't see why he would suddenly save his sworn enemy Goku's life from Frieza.

Vegeta Jr
Regular

Post by Vegeta Jr » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:37 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:At this point in time I don't think Piccolo would have jumped in the way for Goku because even though he is less hostile than before he is still not really friends with anybody except Gohan. When he was training with Tenshinhan and Yamcha he rarely talked to them and wouldn't train with them so I don't see why he would suddenly save his sworn enemy Goku's life from Freeza.
As I have pointed out Piccolo would have known that Goku was the only person who would have a chance against Freeza, so he sacraficed himself to 'secure' Freeza's defeat.

Oh well it's an Inconstistency that Toei messed up with anyway and you can't really debate about it without acknowledging that it really doesn't matter and is just something that they messed up on.
Last edited by Vegeta Jr on Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:50 pm

Herms wrote:It's worth noting on the "Why didn't all of the Saiyans come back to life? question that the one year rule for revival is only ever mentioned that once, and specifically in relation to reviving a large number of people.
That's definitely a really good point to make, and one of those things where I'm slapping myself in the forehead while editing because I forgot to say it :P. But then again, that's what the forum responses are for...!
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:04 pm

Just watched the inconsistency video, and a little thing struck me - Piccolo calls Goku, 'Goku'. My memory's foggy on this, but doesn't Piccolo usually call Goku, 'Son'? If I'm right, then that's just another unnatural bit added onto the action.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:04 pm

I think they should be able to bend that rule because havent they bent the rule of 'you can only bring back smoeone once with the earths dragonballs? when they have brought back the entire population back a few times...or was that after they changed the rules and power of the balls?

Vegeta Jr
Regular

Post by Vegeta Jr » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:06 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:I think they should be able to bend that rule because havent they bent the rule of 'you can only bring back smoeone once with the earths dragonballs? when they have brought back the entire population back a few times...or was that after they changed the rules and power of the balls?
Didn't that change after Dende created the new Balls.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:08 pm

desirecampbell wrote:Just watched the inconsistency video, and a little thing struck me - Piccolo calls Goku, 'Goku'. My memory's foggy on this, but doesn't Piccolo usually call Goku, 'Son'? If I'm right, then that's just another unnatural bit added onto the action.
He's done it a couple times, if I remember correctly. It's definitely out-of-the-norm for him, but I've heard him use "Son", "Son Goku", and even just "Goku" every so often.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:17 pm

Vegeta Jr wrote:
SSJ2bardock wrote:At this point in time I don't think Piccolo would have jumped in the way for Goku because even though he is less hostile than before he is still not really friends with anybody except Gohan. When he was training with Tenshinhan and Yamcha he rarely talked to them and wouldn't train with them so I don't see why he would suddenly save his sworn enemy Goku's life from Freeza.
As I have pointed out Piccolo would have known that Goku was the only person who would have a chance against Freeza, so he sacraficed himself to 'secure' Freeza's defeat.

Oh well it's an Inconstistency that Toei messed up with anyway and you can't really debate about it without acknowledging that it really doesn't matter and is just something that they messed up on.
You said to "ensure Freezas defeat" do you really think that after he just survived getting hit head on with an enormous genki dama anybody was honestly thinking he could be defeated?

Vegeta Jr
Regular

Post by Vegeta Jr » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:54 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:
Vegeta Jr wrote:

You said to "ensure Freezas defeat" do you really think that after he just survived getting hit head on with an enormous genki dama anybody was honestly thinking he could be defeated?
I didn't mean ensure, I didn't know how to put it.

What I meant was Goku was the only one who had any chance.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:02 pm

Herms wrote:Of course, even if the Saiyans were revived, since there is no longer any Planet Vegeta they'd all just die again pretty quickly.
If they were going to be revived, their souls would be transported to Earth's check-in station.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:18 pm

Vegeta Jr wrote:
SSJ2bardock wrote:
Vegeta Jr wrote: As I have pointed out Piccolo would have known that Goku was the only person who would have a chance against Freeza, so he sacraficed himself to 'secure' Freeza's defeat.

I see what your saying now, and i agree with you on that.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:21 pm

Raki wrote:If they were going to be revived, their souls would be transported to Earth's check-in station.
Yeah, they could do that if they were trying to revive them, but I think the question was about if the wish they made would have the unintentional side effect of reviving them.

Incidently, where does the idea that there's such a thing as "the Earth's check-in station" come from? Is it a dub thing? Because I'm pretty sure in the original they just talk about moving Kuririn's remains to Earth, period.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

dowlingusa

Post by dowlingusa » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:36 pm

Vegeta Jr wrote:
SSJ2bardock wrote:
Vegeta Jr wrote: As I have pointed out Piccolo would have known that Goku was the only person who would have a chance against Freeza, so he sacraficed himself to 'secure' Freeza's defeat.

Yeah, I think he just wanted to give Goku the best shot he could. This is a similar idea to him giving Goku his energy, and other examples like that. I actually enjoyed the anime version more. I thought Piccolo's sacrifice for Goku really brought him full circle as far as his character goes.

A great podcast this week
"I said you smell like toenails!!!"

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:49 pm

dowlingusa wrote:
Vegeta Jr wrote:
SSJ2bardock wrote: You said to "ensure Freezas defeat" do you really think that after he just survived getting hit head on with an enormous genki dama anybody was honestly thinking he could be defeated?

Yeah, I think he just wanted to give Goku the best shot he could. This is a similar idea to him giving Goku his energy, and other examples like that. I actually enjoyed the anime version more. I thought Piccolo's sacrifice for Goku really brought him full circle as far as his character goes.

A great podcast this week
You bring up a good point with the giving energy thing, Goku seems to mooch off of everbody elses energy on a regular basis.