John on international response to the live-action movie

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

John on international response to the live-action movie

Post by Herms » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:30 pm

This is a bit old, but I just found it today: awhile back, John over at AnimeNation's news blog posted an entry entitled "Japan Concerned about Dragonball Evolution", which runs:
A Japanese language article on Livedoor News expresses some concern over the international advance reception to the upcoming American produced Dragonball Evolution motion picture. The article claims that 70% of all international comments about the film have been negative. The article quotes harsh criticism of the film’s trailer from fans in the US, Canada, Mexico, South Korea, France, the UK, Belgium, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Australia, Brazil, and South Africa.
I don't have time right now to give the original article a look-through, but maybe I'll see if I can extract some more information from it later.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:33 pm

It is the whiny bitchy fans that do not even give the movie a chance and ruins it for others. :roll:
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:35 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:It is the whiny bitchy fans that do not even give the movie a chance and ruins it for others. :roll:
If it is in fact 70% of the International response, it's kind of hard to dismiss it so easily O_o;;

-Corey

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:46 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:It is the whiny bitchy fans that do not even give the movie a chance and ruins it for others. :roll:
If it is in fact 70% of the International response, it's kind of hard to dismiss it so easily O_o;;

-Corey
The question is would the movie producers pull it because of some fans on the net who the producers believe have no life or a bunch of Trekkie type nerds or go ahead and release it and see how it does at the theatres. I remember that the recent Star Wars movies got a lot of criticism by some fans but they kept releasing them regardless, I hope that is the case with Dragonball.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:50 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:

-Corey
The question is would the movie producers pull it because of some fans on the net who the producers believe have no life or a bunch of Trekkie type nerds or go ahead and release it and see how it does at the theatres. I remember that the recent Star Wars movies got a lot of criticism by some fans but they kept releasing them regardless, I hope that is the case with Dragonball.
Perhaps you should find an example in which the resulting released movie was actually any good.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:51 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:

-Corey
Add that to the Japanese concern over the movie as well.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:00 pm

I actually like the recent Star Wars movies and I favor the overall story than details. I am not too concerned about the Japanese response because they are just as anal-retentive as some people here are. If there is a good response in the US and just people in general that will give it a chance or is totally ignorant of the original series we will get a sequel and I will be able to see a live action Vegeta. :D

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:06 pm

This coming from the same person who thinks GT's plot holes are easy to look over when you use your imagination.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:10 pm

Tsukento wrote:
This coming from the same person who thinks GT's plot holes are easy to look over when you use your imagination.
And? You say that like it's contradictory. I give him points for consistency :p
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:14 pm

It's basically the whole "lol You guys are just looking for excuses to complain. I'll keep covering my eyes and ears and pretending that there's nothing wrong." attitude that's really bothersome.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:22 pm

Tsukento wrote:It's basically the whole "lol You guys are just looking for excuses to complain. I'll keep covering my eyes and ears and pretending that there's nothing wrong." attitude that's really bothersome.
It is called enjoying the Dragonball franchise you ever heard of it? How can someone give something a chance if they are sitting there looking for every detail that is off so they can complain.

Snail

Post by Snail » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:27 pm

But there's the problem. It's actually much more difficult to try not to find something wrong with it. The problems are just there, and undeniably hard to ignore.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:32 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Tsukento wrote:It's basically the whole "lol You guys are just looking for excuses to complain. I'll keep covering my eyes and ears and pretending that there's nothing wrong." attitude that's really bothersome.
It is called enjoying the Dragonball franchise you ever heard of it? How can someone give something a chance if they are sitting there looking for every detail that is off so they can complain.
"Giving it a chance" means we look at everything unbiasedly, and then make a judgement. If we were saying "dur, it's Dragon Ball so it's no good" then we wouldn't be giving it a chance.

In fact, by saying "it's Dragon Ball, so it'll be great" you're being exactly what you're saying is wrong, but in reverse - you're biased for the film, instead of against.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:37 pm

Snail wrote:But there's the problem. It's actually much more difficult to try not to find something wrong with it. The problems are just there, and undeniably hard to ignore.
Why are there problems when we knew almost from the beginning that this was a re-imagined version of Dragonball? They even changed the title for all the whiners and even that was not good enough. Do they have to put up a disclaimer stating that the movie is not a one to one correspondence with the manga/anime? That they had done away with the totally unrealistic and sometimes silly characters that would have to be depicted with sock puppets in order for them to be in the movie.
desirecampbell wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:
"Giving it a chance" means we look at everything unbiasedly, and then make a judgement. If we were saying "dur, it's Dragon Ball so it's no good" then we wouldn't be giving it a chance.

In fact, by saying "it's Dragon Ball, so it'll be great" you're being exactly what you're saying is wrong, but in reverse - you're biased for the film, instead of against.

I never said it was "great" all I said was that I was going to give it a chance, and I revealed my motives for feeling this way. I want a sequel so I can see a live action Vegeta.
Last edited by Saiyan-Professor on Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:37 pm

I don't think anyone really gave this movie a chance at all. If they did that chance was instantly lost when they read "Goku is a high school student..." back in 2007. They saw stuff that wasn't exactly like the show and pretty much dismissed it because it wasn't exactly like the manga/anime. At this point its just beating a dead horse or more like punching violently at a pile of goo. I don't now why people act like its such a big surprise that this movie isn't a good adaption.
Last edited by Chrono Trigger on Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:39 pm

I'll still see it on day one, but I'm walking in with a negative mindset. They have no right to alter such a beloved story as far as they did. If it works it works... If only a true fan would've helmed the project it would've turned out better... Well, if Hulk has taught us anything is that redos are doable if a movie fails miserably...

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:47 pm

I'm seeing the movie because JM is one of my favorite actors and Piccolo is my favorite character period (or at least tied with Agito from Guyver).

As for everything else... well half the time I go into a movie expecting extreme suck I tend to be surprised in a good way. It's the ones I want to be excellent that let me down. So, I have nothing to lose, as I have no emotional stake in the film's quality. I can either come out thinking "well that was expected" or "hey, that was actually kind of fun."
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:07 pm

There were people who decided the movie was bad before we even knew anything about it. And there are people that no matter what comes out about the movie, whether good or bad, tear it apart even more. This movie might fail solely because people want it to fail, not because it "will" be a bad movie.

For all we know it could be a fun romp that has a lot of faithful elements. But since things were changed in the movie, even if they were only changed a little, this movie was condemned by a large majority of the fandom.

I am keeping an open mind, and I will go see it opening day and hopefully enjoy it. It really takes a lot for a movie to be terrible. A lot of people say certain movies are terrible, with even more terrible reasons that either make no sense or are flat out stupid.

For example: I was in walmart the other day and overheard the following statement.
"Oh look, they have the Terminal for 5 bucks, that Movie was awful, the whole damn thing took place in a airport terminal!"
Followed by
"Oh look, Old School, I have to get that, it was really good."

So to this person, any movie that takes place in a single location is awful. I have seen the Terminal and it is a great movie. The problem is that a lot of people are as stupid as the above person.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:26 pm

omegacwa wrote:There were people who decided the movie was bad before we even knew anything about it. And there are people that no matter what comes out about the movie, whether good or bad, tear it apart even more. This movie might fail solely because people want it to fail, not because it "will" be a bad movie.

For all we know it could be a fun romp that has a lot of faithful elements. But since things were changed in the movie, even if they were only changed a little, this movie was condemned by a large majority of the fandom.

I am keeping an open mind, and I will go see it opening day and hopefully enjoy it. It really takes a lot for a movie to be terrible. A lot of people say certain movies are terrible, with even more terrible reasons that either make no sense or are flat out stupid.

For example: I was in walmart the other day and overheard the following statement.
"Oh look, they have the Terminal for 5 bucks, that Movie was awful, the whole damn thing took place in a airport terminal!"
Followed by
"Oh look, Old School, I have to get that, it was really good."

So to this person, any movie that takes place in a single location is awful. I have seen the Terminal and it is a great movie. The problem is that a lot of people are as stupid as the above person.
I agree the Terminal was a great movie and I concur with your statements about some fans views of the Dragonball movie.

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:32 pm

omegacwa wrote:There were people who decided the movie was bad before we even knew anything about it. And there are people that no matter what comes out about the movie, whether good or bad, tear it apart even more. This movie might fail solely because people want it to fail, not because it "will" be a bad movie.
For me, my perspective of the movie was formed the night the casting call was revealed. I read every word on that page twice through and was left horrified at the prospect of what was there being the basis for the Dragonball movie.
As more and more details leaked out, confirming that most of the plot details from the casting call were genuine, it solidified my view that this would be an awful take on the franchise.
Really, the few redeeming details have been completely overshadowed by all the discrepancies. Things like a turkey leg and Piccolo being green just seemed like icing on a cake of shit.

That it's still impossible to say you dislike the movie without being bashed or completely dismissed is sad. Baw, time machine, Whiny bitching fanboys...
"Wait for more details..."
"Wait for the trailer..."
"No, wait for the NEXT trailer..."
"No, seriously, you have to see the whole movie..."

It's just impossible for anyone who doesn't like the look of this movie to have a valid opinion.
Last edited by MisterFlashdude on Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.