Best/Worst Story Modes in PS2 DBZ Games

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Best/Worst Story Modes in PS2 DBZ Games

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:37 am

Basically, I'm starting up this thread so we can all give our definitive opinions on which story mode was the best, which story mode was the worst, and the rest in-between. This will only pertain to the Ps2 games, and since Chou DBZ doesn't seem to be looking high up to getting a story mode, this will be related only to the 5 Ps2 games released since 2002. With that in mind, I'll go first and present my opinions.

#1: DragonBall Z Budokai 3's "Dragon Universe"
I've chosen this as the absolute best story mode for a many number of reasons. First off, it has so much replayable aspects to it, you could play each character's story mode 7 or 10 times and still wanna come back for more. The fact that we get to choose which fighter's point of view to play as when going in is awesome, and we get 11 choices. The world-flying system (similarly seen in such DBZ games as SNES's "DBZ Legend of the Super Saiyan" and GBA's "DBZ Legacy of Goku II") was beyond awesome, it was near breath taking. We could fly wherever on Earth we wanted, have virtually limitless story elements hidden through out the planet, and the designs for the classic DB/Z cities and landmarks were unrivaled. The cut-scenes were of course not the best impression, but at least the VAs put decent work into them and they were still made interesting for us DBZ fans. Along with the hidden story elements and frequent red dot landmarks were also the hidden "What-If" aspects, which were just as great as the actual story accuracy considering we could battle such foes as Cooler, Metal Cooler, Broly, Omega Shenron, and even do pure fusion and SSJ4 battles. The Shenron summoning sequence definitely owns each time seeing it, the credits are awesomely put together, and everything else is just...awesome! Also, the RPG concept of leveling-up combined with the aspects of interacting with other characters when landing at certain spots...fan-freakin'-tastic!!

#2: DragonBall Z Budokai's "Story"
Put simply, the cut-scenes in this story selection were the best in any DBZ game period. The cinematic 3D feel just gave such a fantastic vibe, it was unreal. Every detail Dimps put into Budokai's cut-scenes were fabulous, flawless, and just as impressive as watching the series. While the game-play for the fighting matches was admittingly repetitive and annoying (presetting the fighters' move stats), it was still quite enjoyable and we could always go back and enjoy playing them again. Fun elements implemented were the mini-games that actually branched off from the normal fighting system and proved quite entertaining and a feel that you were right in the anime. Also, the "What-If" extra chapters were hilarious, fun, and just downright entertaining. The cut-scenes were top notch, the graphics were truly beyond this world, and the fighting matches were still fun to do.

#3: DragonBall Z Sagas' "Play Sagas"
I've placed Sagas at "#3" simply because I feel that it deserves that place. It was first off designed to put the fighter on a path to complete a goal in each chapter, and it was pretty fun to play more than once. I actually quite enjoyed the cut-scenes element, using an all new animated sequence from Toei for the "Prologue" chapter, and combining scenes from the actual series into decently done cut-scenes voiced by the Narrator. The game-play within the mode offered combat where we could battle Saibamen, Frieza's henchmen, and originally made fighters. Parts of mode I thoroughly enjoyed were the "History of Trunks" and original "Yardrat" sagas. History of Trunks was seriously quite fun to play, as this was the first time in any DBZ game where we could play out and experience Trunks' trials before coming to the present to battle Frieza. Also, the special "Yardrat" saga gave us an originally made character just for the game, "Soba". I felt the arenas for the game-play weren't as bad as a lot of people make them out to be, though it admittingly could have been a hell of a lot better considering it was released just last March. Considering other aspects such as accuracy to the DBZ story, I feel Sagas did a pretty good job, and I had some fun going through the Raditz - Cell Games arcs that included nice cut-scenes and interesting aspects, not to mention a couple in-game cut-scenes were made (Goku's Spirit Bomb against Vegeta, Jeice escaping Goku). Kinda fun, kinda fun...

#4: DragonBall Z Budokai Tenkaichi's "Z Battle Gate"
An all right story mode, contained some pretty good "What-If" ideas, just executed a lot of aspects wrongly. First off, the cut-scenes. VERY lousy, about 60% of them were just the characters standing/flying talking, in the manner of which I've heard referred to as "Waiting to take a piss...". The cut-scenes that actually did have some interest and/or combat did so by executing blend slow motion with combat that looked far weaker than the game-play in the actual fights. Hell, the Prologue and Epilogue chapters contained better cut-scene action than the fighting chapters, and those in themselves were pretty lousy. Other than the badly executed cut-scenes aspect, there's the choice for playing out basically any part of the DBZ/GT story (except, of course, for the Shadow Dragon arc). Basically the only "new" aspects we received for a story mode were the Bardock special, Bojack and Janemba movies (both pathetically containing only ONE chapter), and the 5 "What-If" selections, the only ones I liked were the "Plan to Concur Earth" and "True World Tournament" selections. In the actual fighting aspects, while the free roaming environments are fun to battle in, some of the fights are just made too damn hard (Goku Vs. Oozaru-Vegeta, the Kid Buu survival battles), and the length was just unbearably long for my tastes. Once finishing the mode, there's really no desire to wanna go back and play again straight through. Basically, could have been a lot better had it not been a pure (very lousy) cut-scenes story mode with nothing but fighting matches to do, and ones that weren't all fun either. No world-flying or leveling up system, no options to pick the stats for the fighters before playing the chapters, and just...meh. The only thing that has gotten me to go back and play any of the chapters more than once were the Japanese VAs, sorry, but it's true. On the note of the Japanese VAs, it was awesome finally getting to play the story out with them in full gear, so score 1 there. Oh, did I mention the Shenron summoning sequence looks completely idiotic, at least compared to the 3 Budokais?

#5: DragonBall Z Budokai 2's "Dragon World"
Well...basically, this was just the least fun of a story mode for me. The ideas for the original aspects (Frieza and the Ginyu Force coming to Earth, Goku meeting Vegeta on Namek, Babidi bringing back Cell and Frieza under Majin power) were executed decently enough, it's just...the 2D board game aspect, I just couldn't find myself anywhere near impressed with it. It certainly didn't help things that the board game aspect and the simple fighting matches were the only things to play around with in the mode. The animations for the meeting of battling a foe weren't anywhere near impressive, and it worsens things that Goku's meetings with the enemy were the only actual cut-scenes for Dragon World's "cut-scenes". Another thing that made this mode not very enjoyable was its very long length and the aspect that I couldn't find myself going back to play more than a few times. I do wish the Neko Majin level wouldn't have been cut out, guess that was due to licensing issues for exposing it to an American audience (it is, like Dr. Slump, an entirely different series than DragonBall). Oh well...guess that's that.

DAMN, that took a while to type out. Anyway, that was just from my point of view, please don't feel a need to argue, as I'm not saying that's the way everyone should feel :P . Anyway, post your thoughts and outlooks on the various story modes through out these past 5 Ps2 games, while I take a nap. Later.
14 years later

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:06 pm

I think budokai1 story-mode was by far the superior one, to bad it didn't have more details and all of the series...

LinkBattosai

Post by LinkBattosai » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:23 am

I've only played budokai 1-3 but I have to agree with Conan, budokai 3 has a slightly better single player mode than budokai 1.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:58 pm

Not having played Sparking or Sagas, I can't comment on those, but I can't believe Budokai 2's storymode was worse than Budokai 1's. Budokai 1's storymode felt really boring... fight, talk, fight, talk, fight, "it was only a dream", fight... in Budokai 2 you could dig up items to increase your strength and defense, you could choose companion characters to help you out, you could try to fight enimies in a different order eaach time, it just felt more like a game than Budokai 1.

Saiya-jin
Banned

Post by Saiya-jin » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:24 pm

I believe that if Budokai 1's story cutscenes went into more detail, they would be the best.

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ngnikolaos » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:35 pm

I do not really like B3's DU. It feels like a puzzle where all pieces are scattered about, and you have to fill them in yourself. The storyline feels incomplete because each character gets his "own part", and when you play with less popular characters (Tien, Yamcha), the story feels like a rush-job.

Budokai 1 and Tenkaichi though have excellent presentation as far as story sequence goes. Tenkaichi may not have good interactives, but it does cover every single battle in the correct historical order. And that's what I like in a huge anime that DBZ is.

I haven't played Sagas, so I can't comment there.

Budokai 2's story mode is crappy as Hell, but does have a few interesting what-if dialogues (I found amusing the fact that Cell doesn't acknowledge Badi Bi -- because he was never in his saga -- and smiled when Goku commented on the Saiba-Rangers)
"Destiny"... people claim by force what they desire, wreak havoc upon others in order to acquire it... and they call it "destiny".

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:34 pm

:P Neat topic, Conan. Let's see...

5. Dragonball Z Budokai 2's Dragon World (Liked the board game idea, just not the shitty plot...)
4. Dragonball Z Budokai 3's Dragon Universe (HATED this one. The flying controls and Dragon Radar where shitty)
3. Dragonball Z Sagas' Play Sagas (Gotta love the multiplayer and action-adventure element)
2. Dragonball Z Sparking!'s Z Battle Gate (Good, but I hated the so called 'requirements' (i.e. kill within timelimit, etc.) the cutscenes could've been a lot better)
1. Dragonball Z Budokai's Story Mode (Best of all, great cutscenes and battle. Needed more what-ifs?)
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:51 pm

I actually want to do a podcast episode all about the story modes in recent games...

The story mode in Budokai 2 takes a lot of crap, and all for the wrong reasons. Ignore the fact that you have to do it a gazillion times (without cheating) in order to get the necessary capsules, and you've got something that re-tells the story in a new and interesting way, and does so with a somewhat innovative-approach that doesn't rely on you watching or reading the series as you've already possibly done so with for 20 years, now (OK, since it's Z, more like 15 years :P).

I hate cut-scenes. I've watched the show before. This offers absolutely nothing new to me, and it's not interesting in any way, shape, or form. The first Budokai, therefore, loses by a long shot with me.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:17 am

VegettoEX wrote:I actually want to do a podcast episode all about the story modes in recent games...

The story mode in Budokai 2 takes a lot of crap, and all for the wrong reasons. Ignore the fact that you have to do it a gazillion times (without cheating) in order to get the necessary capsules, and you've got something that re-tells the story in a new and interesting way, and does so with a somewhat innovative-approach that doesn't rely on you watching or reading the series as you've already possibly done so with for 20 years, now (OK, since it's Z, more like 15 years :P).

I hate cut-scenes. I've watched the show before. This offers absolutely nothing new to me, and it's not interesting in any way, shape, or form. The first Budokai, therefore, loses by a long shot with me.
Someone agrees with me! *sniff* This is the best Valentine's Day ever.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:57 am

I have to say. I do like cutscenes. They offer a slightly different perspective on a scene... well, sometimes.

Anyway, I've played all 3 Budokai games and Budokai Tenkaichi, and I have to say that Budokai 2's story mode is my favorite. Maybe I'm just saying that because Budokai 2 is the only one I actually own. But I do find it really fun. I don't know why so many people rag on it. I actually wish there was a way to play it on two player.

Saiya-jin
Banned

Post by Saiya-jin » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:54 pm

I like the cutscenes because if you are new to the series, its good to see what happens in the show. It would be a lot better, though, if they actually used scenes from the show. 8)

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ngnikolaos » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:11 pm

I also loved Budokai 1's cutscenes because they were done with all-substance and no filler, showing only the interesting bits from each chapter.

And to be blunt, I liked seeing key-scenes of DBZ in pure 3D. Much as I liked seeing Tenkaichi's intro. I have seen 500 episodes of anime material, but DBZ action in CG? That was pure gold for me.

I think the biggest mistake of Budokai 2's story mode was the whole Risk-like system. That mode is more suitable like a bonus-mode, like the chess-thing in MK Deception, (unlocked when beating the normal story mode for instance), rather than the "true" mode of the game. That's my opinion always.
"Destiny"... people claim by force what they desire, wreak havoc upon others in order to acquire it... and they call it "destiny".

AceSharp
Not-So-Newbie

Post by AceSharp » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:40 pm

I like something new... an interesting twist. Like EX said, revisting the same storyline we've all watched over and over just doesn't add anything to the game. If I wanted to watch the show, I'd go watch it on DVD.

In my opinion, Budokai 3 had the best story mode, whilst Budokai 2 is a close runner up. 3's freedom felt great. Just flying around Earth as your favourite characters was enough to keep me playing it. My only beef is that there weren't enough playable characters. 11 out of 38?

Budokai 2 was pretty damn good as well. Sure, it got boring after the 22nd time through, but the story took a new (interesting) twist, and the inclusion of characters like Majin Frieza, Majin Cell and Tiencha kept me playing all the way up to the release of Budokai 3.

As for Sparking!... Ugh. I hated those crappy interactions. It was as if Spike couldn't be assed to put any attention to detail into the actual development of the story mode, and just stuck with quantity over quality. Can't stand it when developers do that, it really doesn't pay off.

Just my two cents...

NECPS
Beyond Newbie

Post by NECPS » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:03 pm

And I agree with ngnikolaos. DBZ action in CG is something you can't miss.

I also like a LOT the pratice/trainning mode of B2 and B3.
That just feels like story mode. I could watch that talk every time you go into some area in DU. Maybe change a little the angle, more like BT, but that is not really necessary. Maybe some animation of your character picking up the dragon ball or money. So cool.

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:58 pm

I quite like Budokai 2's story mode. o.o It's a very light hearted retelling of DBZ, clearly having jokes where Toriyama wouldn't. It's nearly DBZ retold with a DB atmosphere. It doesn't take itself too serious and I like that. XD

*when fighting Freeza for the nth time*
"Mwahaha, Saiya-jin, I'm going to kill you now."
"Wait a moment... you already said that!"
Never fails to make me smile.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:37 pm

Pedro The Hutt wrote:I quite like Budokai 2's story mode. o.o It's a very light hearted retelling of DBZ, clearly having jokes where Toriyama wouldn't. It's nearly DBZ retold with a DB atmosphere. It doesn't take itself too serious and I like that. XD

*when fighting Freeza for the nth time*
"Mwahaha, Saiya-jin, I'm going to kill you now."
"Wait a moment... you already said that!"
Never fails to make me smile.
Yeah, that's totally another reason I love that one. Another great line is Goku versus all the different colored Saibaimen:

"But this color's more subdued, and easier to look at."
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

wannywan
Beyond Newbie

Post by wannywan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:01 am

I agree with VegettoEX, Pedro the Hutt et al. That the Budokai 2 story mode is awesome. I played through it again and again for about a year and a half (partly because my Budokai 3 got scratched badly weeks after buying it :cry: ).

I can honestly say that it actually got more enjoyable the more times I came back to it.

Although I somehow felt indebted to replaying it after using the Skill Shop cheat. :oops:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSPpkxkjpPg]Picto-hame-ha![/url]

SSJ5 Piccohan
Banned

Post by SSJ5 Piccohan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:34 pm

Truthfully. I did not like the Sagas story mode at all. I think it was the worst. I didn't have any else to play it with so maybe the multiplayer was awesome but I thought playing by by myself was bad

Saiya-jin
Banned

Post by Saiya-jin » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:35 pm

SSJ5 Piccohan wrote:Truthfully. I did not like the Sagas story mode at all. I think it was the worst. I didn't have any else to play it with so maybe the multiplayer was awesome but I thought playing by by myself was bad
The game is a little better if you play with another person, as long as they are a DBZ fan also.

And another thing, the story mode was good in Sagas becuase they used animation from the show(The beginning cutscene had new animation, which was awesome! 8) ) I just didn't like the whole "collage" thing they had going, as a matter of fact Xplay(American Video game show) made a spoof of it. Quite funny when you get know they are just dissing the game, not the series.

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:49 pm

I still think the 1st Budkai was the best concept for a Story Mode, with Budokai 3 a close 2nd. The animation was stiff in some moments, and it would be nice to see more original material, but still, I think the old-fashioned way has the most potential. It's true all of us have already seen the anime, but Budokai handles the translation from manga differently, it's more dyniamic, less filler, like the anime SHOULD be. As such, it's a treat to watch. Plus, there's some great music there.
It's party time, Ginyu style!