Episode #0075 (29 April 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0075 (29 April 2007)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:12 pm

Episode #0075 (download MP3)
44:44; 64 kbps, mono; 20.4 MB

Episode #0075! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian catch up on e-mails yet again. From the Son family's quality of living, to Goku's hick accent, to generations of fans, to being just another goddamn fanboy, we covered these topics and a whole lot more! We also conclude our DBZ Movie 8 contest and read a batch of hilarious haiku entrants sent us. Referenced sites:
  • No referenced sites!
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the splendid *seventy-five* episodes, now.

E-mails, ahoy! It's always encouraging to see that we have listeners from such diverse demographics... male & female, and countries all over the world. I guess that's just a testament to the franchise's appeal. As always, we certainly welcome your e-mails, be they questions, comments, Top 5 list suggestions, or offers of free Dragon Boxes. We'll work out the details... just drop us a line!

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:00 pm

Mondo cool bro, I'm going to go download now!
Thank's for the great podcasts.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:58 pm

Not to turn this into a Naruto thread, but am I the only one who doesn't hear the difference between the two pronunciations Mike brought up? Is it simply the stress is on the 'ru' instead of the 'na'?

Further, can I get an explanation on how to pronounce 'Kuririn'? I've been saying 'coo-ree-rin', but Mike and Julian's pronunciation was more like 'cur-rur-n'.

-PS- "Damnit! I can't get to the website! Where's the 'Full Stop' button?!"

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:40 pm

Great podcast as always.

I myself would probably fall under the 3rd or 4th generation of fans. I knew about Dragonball before it aired on Toonami by reading episode summeries online. I did see one Dragonball episode on a spanish channel (I geuss it was Telemundo) before it aired on Toonami at my aunts house though. But I don't know if that counts since it was just one episode.

I loved Julians Boston accent in the beginning of the episode. It was hilarious.

Yay, you liked my haiku about Kuririns singing :D
-PS- "Damnit! I can't get to the website! Where's the 'Full Stop' button?!"
:lol: :lol:
Did you check under the 'any' key?

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:43 pm

Meri I should shoot you for the Long Island accent joke...if only it weren't totally fucking true XD;

Anyway. I whole-heartedly agree on the response to the thing about pronouncing Naruto the correct way, and everything surrounding it. I actually thought the example you were gonna bring up would be "Ninja GAYDIN", but "RAI-YOO" is another good one. I do this with my friends at school all the time, and the the sentiment about "they feel stupid, so therefore they have to defend themselves" is true to much of an extent...either that, or they counteract with a generic "I don't care!". That, and I think the other reason for being so quick to combat that is because people REFUSE to accept different things that aren't what they're into...

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:47 pm

I especially liked all the haikus. The "refrigerator" part of the winning haiku is actually taken from some gag about haikus being easy to write... with the final line being "refrigerator." It's still funny when I hear it, though. I never sent a poem in, so lemme try my hand at it now:

He's got big muscles,
meaning it must be pretty
hard to scratch his nose.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:53 pm

Nice podcast. Julian's mentioning of karaoke reminds me of my performance at Sakuracon 3 weeks ago, though I did a different song.

With the Naruto thing, I admit I pronounced his name like that before watching the show, but since it pronounced it the correct way even in the dub, you'd think someone would pick it up. With Ryu I pronounce it the old bad way due to being used to it since I was 10.

Nice haikus also.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:14 am

I'll take you up on that offer for free Dragonboxes. :D

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:28 am

I'm going to post my opinions on what the "American Fandom Generations" are...

First Generation- Pre-Dub (Pre-1995)

Second Generation- 1995-1997 (Original Runs of DB and DBZ Seasons 1 & 2 and all)

Third Generation- Beginning of DBZ on Tonami through the Garlic Jr. Saga.

Fourth Generation- The whole Trunks/Androids/Cell Era. This was definetly the height of DBZ's American popularity and thus brought in a lot more fans simply from School Yard talks of DBZ.

Fifth Generation- The Buu Era through GT.

Sixth Generation- These new Season Set releases. It's, true, it seems possible that FUNi's ploy has brought in a new fanbase.

I myself fall into 5'th Generation, I didn't get into DragonBall until 2002.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:11 am

Good podcast as always :)
What about a Generation 0 :D?
I got into Dragonball watching it in French, late 80's :P

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:18 am

I have experience with the naming dilema. Maybe VegettoEX can feel the same way! My name's Michael. My parent's are good friend's with an Italian woman, who pronounces my name Mikael (My-kul compared to Me-kay-el).
I definetly feel that's just not my name. :?

Great episode, as always. :lol: A great listen at any time of the day...

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:49 am

I'd be a second generation fan since I started watching with the original Dragon Ball dub on Saturday morning.

As far as the name thing goes...I just tell people to listen to the way the characters pronounce the names. A character isn't going to mispronounce his own name, so if the ninja in an orange jumpsuit goes around calling himself Na-ru-to, then calling him Nu-ROO-do proves that you're just not paying attention.

I could bring up a Pokemon example but...I think we had enough of that in the last thread :wink:
desirecampbell wrote:Further, can I get an explanation on how to pronounce 'Kuririn'? I've been saying 'coo-ree-rin', but Mike and Julian's pronunciation was more like 'cur-rur-n'.
The easiest thing to do is to break it down into each syllable:

Ku-ri-rin

(technically, a lone n is its own syllable in Japanese, but here I'll just tack it onto the end of the third syllable)

You'll want to be sure to put an equal amount of stress on each syllable. In English, we tend to emphasize the middle syllable, but in Japanese, every syllable gets the same emphasis. This is especially true in the name Kuririn...the first ri should get the same emphasis as the second ri.

Also, a lot of people want to have the u sound slide into the r sound (making a kur sound), but you don't really do that in Japanese.

Based on your transliteration, you seem to pronounce Kuririn's name the same way I do.

But, as I've said earlier, when in doubt, listen to the way the characters pronounce it in the Japanese version :P
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:47 am

The Monday Morning notes:

-- I'm glad Julian had fun at AniBo last weekend. It seems like he got tons of stuff accomplished. Mike McFarland is a tremendously funny guy and hopefully Julian will become more familiar with more of his stuff. And ooh, Julian sang "We Are" and "My Pace Daioh", two songs very familiar to me, as I have sung those at karaoke as well. If Julian comes to Otakon, maybe I might challenge him in the Karaoke Cafe at Otakon?

-- A "best" release of DBZ is pretty much relative. I like the Season Box Sets because the English dub has the Japanese BGM (minus "Cha-La" at the beginning). For other people it could be something entirely different.

-- For Dragonball (the first series), I found several used volumes at my local SunCoast for $22, so I snatched those. Considering those are (ostensibly) out of print, I got them, and I am enjoying them.

-- As someone who knew about DBZ for a long time, and as someone who used to HATE the show until your Daizex.com Podcast came along, would I be part of the latest generation of DBZ fandom?

-- About the whole pronunciation thing (again), I know that you don't order Nu-ROO-do fish cakes on top of your ramen, you order NAH-ru-to (NAR-u-to) fish cakes. That's why it's supposed to be pronounced that way. It's exactly like how the Negima fanboys insist on pronouncing it "ni-GHEE-ma" instead of "NEH-ghee-ma"; you don't order a "ni-GHEE-ma" roll, it's a "NEH-ghee-ma" roll. One such fanboy almost got into an argument with Greg Ayres (the English dub Negima) at one of his panels at a recent local convention.

To direct it to DBZ, I know Mike insists on calling the short bald guy without a nose almost like "Curry-Rin", and albeit that's a more correct way to pronounce his name, Julian pronounces it "K'-RI-rin", almost dropping the u from the name. As for Meri (and myself), she says "Krillin" because it's easiest to pronounce.

I guess fans can call characters whatever they want, even though you'll be looked down upon if you don't use the accepted pronunciations... but there was a big discussion about this in the 3/25/07 podcast, so go there for further discussion. Just remember: "Please all, and you please none."

It's a good e-mail episode. You covered lots of ground this week. Nice podcast!
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

mysteriousdbzgt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mysteriousdbzgt » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:49 am

Great Podcast. I would have to say, but i'm not quite sure, i think i would fall into the 4th generation. The only reason i say i think is because, i can't quite remember when dragonball z first aired on Cartoon Network in England. :?
Just another Dragon Ball fangirl in the world.

DB & Tiger and Bunny are my main fandoms, along with many other animes.

Deviantart Profile/ Tiger & Bunnyftw tumblr/ mysteriousdbzgt tumblr / My Anime List Profile

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:15 pm

Lavender Saiyan wrote:I'm going to post my opinions on what the "American Fandom Generations" are...

First Generation- Pre-Dub (Pre-1995)

Second Generation- 1995-1997 (Original Runs of DB and DBZ Seasons 1 & 2 and all)

Third Generation- Beginning of DBZ on Tonami through the Garlic Jr. Saga.

Fourth Generation- The whole Trunks/Androids/Cell Era. This was definetly the height of DBZ's American popularity and thus brought in a lot more fans simply from School Yard talks of DBZ.

Fifth Generation- The Buu Era through GT.

Sixth Generation- These new Season Set releases. It's, true, it seems possible that FUNi's ploy has brought in a new fanbase.

I myself fall into 5'th Generation, I didn't get into DragonBall until 2002.

I would add to Sixth Generation people who play the game. My friend never watched dbz and said he never would. he played the budokai games and said "Wow that's kind of cool" so he then started to watch them :lol:

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:06 pm

I guess I'd fall somewhere between the fourth and fifth generations, there. I watched a couple of episodes during the Androids arc, and I supposed they're the ones that first appealed to me. But I didn't really get interested until Toonami started airing the Buu-era Budokai(I forgets the numbah).
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:39 pm

I guess I'd be between the second and third. Does it make me feel old? Yes, yes it does. I have a feeling that those who fall under the fifth generation are the die-hard Broli fans, that's all I'll describe them as.
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:19 pm

SSJmole wrote:I would add to Sixth Generation people who play the game. My friend never watched dbz and said he never would. he played the budokai games and said "Wow that's kind of cool" so he then started to watch them :lol:
Yeah, you're right. I forgot about Fans who got into it through Video Games. Of course some of those games would fall into Generation 5. Depending on when you started.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:04 pm

Mr.Piccolo wrote:I have a feeling that those who fall under the fifth generation are the die-hard Broli fans, that's all I'll describe them as.
-Rick
hIz powah iz MAXIMUM!!!!1!
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:43 pm

Regarding the part about Chi-Chi and Goku having money, didn't Chi-Chi inherit some from her father? I remember her saying at the beginning of the Buu saga about how they were running out.