Episode #0167 (08 March 2009)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0167 (08 March 2009)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:12 pm

Episode #0167 (download MP3) (rss feed)
71:02; 64 kbps, mono; 32.5 MB

Episode #0167! VegettoEX and Meri bring on Hujio (Kanzentai) and Corey to discuss the most recent information and commercial for "DragonBall Kai" and all of its implications. There appears to be re-framed cropping going on, so how does this compare and contrast with FUNimation's faux-"remastered" release? Random bits of news, March's releases, and your e-mails round out the episode. Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the rather sweet *one-hundred-sixty-seven* episodes, now.

Sorry for some slight extra noise in the audio track... cleaned it up as best I could. I had an XLR cable die on me right before we started recording, so Meri got hooked up with a good ol' RadioShack mic getting pre-amped through a good ol' RadioShack mixer. And by "good ol'" I don't literally mean it.

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:28 pm

Downloadin' right now, Veggie. Should be quite a blast with Hujio and Corey "in da houuuuseee!" :)
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:08 pm

Ok. I'm gonna try and call it right now. April Fool's this year is the birth of Kanzenshuu EX. Hmmmmmmmm :wink:

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:07 am

It's a great time recording with these guys and it was great to speak to Hujio for the first time, whose contributions to this forum and his own site have always been something I've enjoyed. Once the first episode of Kai actually airs, I think a followup episode is definitely in order to see just where our speculations hit the mark and where they fell short. In the meantime, this podcast has given me motivation to work on my Japanese, after a few badly butchered pronunciations ;)

-Corey

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:16 am

I want to go on the podcast with Corey sometime too, if only to see which of us can make the most Eddie Izzard references while ostensibly talking about DragonBall.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:18 am

I looked up Takayoshi Tanimoto since you mentioned he did Konjiki no Gash Bell and Super Sentai songs (both of which I usually like) and to my surprise find that he did 3 of my overall favorites; openings 2 and 3 of Gash Bell and also the opening to Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger.

If you want to hear how his songs sound, here's some links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAMlJdN3cdw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEVWZ1lKBI0
http://www.esnips.com/doc/321494f3-8be9 ... iranger-OP

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:34 am

Herms wrote:I want to go on the podcast with Corey sometime too, if only to see which of us can make the most Eddie Izzard references while ostensibly talking about DragonBall.
"I like my DragonBall Kai like I like my coffee, err, covered in bees?"

Dude, that would be awesome. I just wish they'd release 'Stripped' on DVD already, since I missed him when he was in DC last May.
Bussani wrote:I looked up Takayoshi Tanimoto since you mentioned he did Konjiki no Gash Bell and Super Sentai songs (both of which I usually like) and to my surprise find that he did 3 of my overall favorites; openings 2 and 3 of Gash Bell and also the opening to Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger.
Aww, and here I was hoping he had written the "Very Melon" and "Chichi wo Moge" songs ;p

-Corey

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:46 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:It's a great time recording with these guys and it was great to speak to Hujio for the first time, whose contributions to this forum and his own site have always been something I've enjoyed. Once the first episode of Kai actually airs, I think a followup episode is definitely in order to see just where our speculations hit the mark and where they fell short. In the meantime, this podcast has given me motivation to work on my Japanese, after a few badly butchered pronunciations ;)

-Corey
I'm with Corey, I demand a followup episode with everyone, including Julian! Heathjio hath demanded it! And thanks for the kind words, it means a lot. By the way, listening to you do the sign-off was priceless. But you made it through, so props for that. Oh, and I forgot to talk to you about a "small" request I have, so I'll shoot you a PM sometime soon.
Herms wrote:I want to go on the podcast with Corey sometime too, if only to see which of us can make the most Eddie Izzard references while ostensibly talking about DragonBall.
Just be sure you have a new microphone, or Mike will kill you. :cry: <- Me crying, cause you'd be dead.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:36 am

"Hey you crazy Dragon Whatsits Kai, get off mah lawn.....with your loud audio...weird voices......."

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:23 am

Y'know, what you guys neglect to mention is whether or not you'll watch the series is the cropping/music/acting pisses you off. :wink:
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:40 pm

I'm totally busted with fever at the moment so I'm too tired to do any research, but on which cd did you found the track you plugged at the end of the podcast this time?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:45 pm

Son Wukong wrote:I'm totally busted with fever at the moment so I'm too tired to do any research, but on which cd did you found the track you plugged at the end of the podcast this time?
Do you mean the different song(s) that close out the podcast each week?

http://www.daizex.com/general/podcast/endings.shtml
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:32 am

VegettoEX wrote:Do you mean the different song(s) that close out the podcast each week?

http://www.daizex.com/general/podcast/endings.shtml
..Yeah, those... :oops:

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:42 am

You guys bringing up the Goku's Kamehame Ha vs. Vegeta's Garlic Gun thing made me think of another possible alteration to Dragon Ball Kai: dimming and/or slowing down the footage. Because ever since the Pocket Monsters seizure incident, networks have created strict guidelines that would probably affect scenes like the Goku vs. Vegeta one. In fact, I was watching Star Wars Episode III just the other week on TV and saw that whatever network was airing it had slowed down and dimmed some of the light saber battles. There's also the whole "Kids! Don't sit too close to the TV! Watch TV in a well-lit room!" warning that every network flashes at the beginning of every show nowadays. This kind of thing is still on the networks' minds.

It'll be interesting to see if any alteration is made in that regard.

Also...I'll be going to see Dragonball Evolution this coming Friday evening. So I'll be able to contribute some information if you guys want.
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:58 am

Awesome episode as always, guys 'n gal. I'm getting more and more excited for Dragon Ball Kai as the days go on.

So that's where the ending songs are? Where is that link located on the site? I always looked here in the thread as I thought Mike's first post was the show notes as the podcast page never had any photos or anything either, so I'd just like to see how much of a fool I am.

I would hope they wouldn't do anything involving slowing or dimming. I mean, I'm all for redrawn/rendered effects as long as it doesn't look out of place or overly ridiculous, but doing something like that would be a little to irksome.
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:05 am

Bussani wrote:I looked up Takayoshi Tanimoto since you mentioned he did Konjiki no Gash Bell and Super Sentai songs (both of which I usually like) and to my surprise find that he did 3 of my overall favorites; openings 2 and 3 of Gash Bell and also the opening to Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger.

If you want to hear how his songs sound, here's some links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAMlJdN3cdw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEVWZ1lKBI0
http://www.esnips.com/doc/321494f3-8be9 ... iranger-OP

He reminds me a little bit of Hironobu's style, hope the new opening sounds as good as these.
Trans rights, now!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:18 am

Haseowolf wrote:So that's where the ending songs are? Where is that link located on the site? I always looked here in the thread as I thought Mike's first post was the show notes as the podcast page never had any photos or anything either, so I'd just like to see how much of a fool I am.
The "Podcast" page has a link to the raw RSS feed, iTunes, other feed sites, the ending themes used every episode, Meri's Top 5 lists, all of the links for every episode...
Dogasu wrote:< snip dimming/slowdown >
Great point. Once Goku starts powering up the Kamehameha, that screen starts flashing like all Hellz.

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:26 pm

Chris over at AnimeonDVD (or, more accurately these days, Mania's Anime/Manga section) covered the story of Kai's trailer recently, again reiterating the "100 episode" rumor. Not to whore the site/podcast, but I pointed out that we had done a podcast about the subject and linked here.

-Corey

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:02 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:Chris over at AnimeonDVD (or, more accurately these days, Mania's Anime/Manga section) covered the story of Kai's trailer recently, again reiterating the "100 episode" rumor. Not to whore the site/podcast, but I pointed out that we had done a podcast about the subject and linked here.

-Corey
Yeah, I've been seeing the "100 episodes" thing pop up a lot again lately, myself. That's not to say we haven't reported the same thing, but I think we've done a good enough job to point out that they've only OFFICIALLY said things like "develop more speedily".