Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kei17
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by kei17 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:08 am

90sDBZ wrote:That was terrible. Why couldn't they just give us a remake of Rock the Dragon.
That would be terrible, too. The simple and best solution is just singing Dragon Soul in English.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:14 am

kei17 wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:That was terrible. Why couldn't they just give us a remake of Rock the Dragon.
That would be terrible, too. The simple and best solution is just singing Dragon Soul in English.
Honestly either option would be infinitely better than what I just listened to. Even the Westwood dub intro puts it to shame.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:38 am

I hope this is an incomplete version. A 20-second theme? Please.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:49 am

Judging by that 22 second sample, thats all it is, a sample. Very likely that isn't going to be the final version. It will probably be tweaked before airing. I had high hopes for a replacement soundtrack, and so far it's looking good.

Shnuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shnuki » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:08 am

That theme song sounds like it would fit the 4Kids/Toonzai/whatever-it's-called-now version. Also, I thought that the days of the replacement scores were long gone, but it seems I was wrong.

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:11 am

I really hope that isn't the full track. It starts and ends abruptly so I'd say that it's only a snippet of the theme, especially the end where it seemed that the music was building up and then it just stops. This is one cheesy theme, the lyrics are awful but the music is fairly decent. Don't know why they didn't just stick with Dragon Soul though. I hope this is extent of the replacement score and the Kikuchi BGM is left intact but that looks doubtful now.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:15 am

TheAldella wrote:
Tsukento wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:This is the absolute worst thing I have ever heard.... :x
Worse than this?
I know for a fact that some people love that.
Hey now, that intro is godly.
I'm totally not nostalgic right now.

As for this new one...well, I hated it...and then I watched Kei's fan-edit and I maybe just a little bit liked it.
Cheesy theme songs are just too good.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:46 am

Well that song certainly seems consistent with Schemmel saying the replacment music was "terrible". And didn't Drummond make a comment at one point saying he wishes he could do a "serious" dub of the show some time. If those comments and this song are anything to go by then I'm not too interested in seeing this dub.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:29 am

Hahahaha this is so charmingly cheesy. I'm totally cool with this setting the mood for the rest of the dub.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:26 pm

Oh my God, that song sounds like something you would hear in a Saturday morning cartoon from the 90s. It's hilarious. :lol:

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:50 pm

I have this sinking feeling we're about to head into a 90's flashback of hell with this dub.

I have this picture of executives sat in an office going 'hrmm, what made this show successful back in the day?!' and someone yelling out 'Replacement music! Cheesy intros! Americanised dialogue!'.

Of course, it'll probably just be an edited version of Funi's Kai script but I'm still worried. I'd hate to have Drummond and McNeil wasted.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:02 pm

...Wow...yeah. That song doesn't exactly instill confidence in the replaced score that Ocean's Kai might have. Wow. Then again, I'm one of the fan's that never cared for that old DB opening this same guy did apparently too, so...I had a feeling going in that I wasn't going to care much for what I was about to hear.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Paradox295
Beyond Newbie

Post by Paradox295 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:18 pm

I really don't think the Ocean dub of Kai is actually gonna happen.

I think the clip of the song was originally gonna be a part of the dub, but the dub has been scrapped since, and the dude added it to his portfolio anyway.

This thread was started in 2010. I really don't think a dub for a show has been in development for three and a half years, with no official confirmation it's happening.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:25 pm

Paradox295 wrote:I really don't think the Ocean dub of Kai is actually gonna happen.

I think the clip of the song was originally gonna be a part of the dub, but the dub has been scrapped since, and the dude added it to his portfolio anyway.

This thread was started in 2010. I really don't think a dub for a show has been in development for three and a half years, with no official confirmation it's happening.
At this point, I 'd say they'd have to do something with it because they've paid a guy to come up with a theme song and have supposedly recorded dialog with numerous actors. I maintain the mindset it was ill-advised to even start this venture, but they've dug they're Oceanic grave; time to set the coffin adrift to offset whatever expenses went into this.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:54 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Something tells me that they are gonna replace the Kikuchi score as well...
To be fair, I wouldn't mind. The Kikuchi score in Kai didn't sound right. If they can't have Yamamoto (for obvious reasons) I prefer a change.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Android17

Post by Android17 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:58 pm

I'm hoping that the delay is because Ocean Studios is waiting to have the Buu Saga completed before they release it. However if FUNi Buu Saga Kai comes and goes without any official word of the Ocean Dub, I'm going to have to give up on it.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:58 pm

While replacement scores in anime dubs are a pretty rare thing now, I can't even get mad at this being a possibility for Kai. The music situation for that show is such a mess that it would be nice to have an original score composed for it. However, I suspect there will be Mega Man and Monster Rancher leftovers ... :yawn:
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:19 pm

I was looking forward to the replacement score because I despise the Kikuchi placement in Kai, especially seasons 3 and 4. I thought it would be hard to get it more wrong than that. However, that intro is an absolute disaster. I have no background in music at all and I really believe I could come up with something better if someone was paying me.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:56 pm

Hmm.. that intro isn't my cup of tea either but I still want to remain optimistic. Isn't there a possibility that this intro could be an unused version and thus be ok to release in a portfolio? I remember an example years ago for Power Rangers RPM where they made a bunch of different demo songs until finally settling on a final one.

Here was an example of one of the demo songs that didn't get used:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJFv1mSCn2E&

Also what if they're using different theme songs for different parts of the series? The theme song we've heard seems like it would better fit the earlier parts of Z rather than the darker Freeza and Android/Cell arcs. They've certainly had more than enough time to produce more than one theme.