Chris Sabat announces Buu saga licensed by Funimation

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dizrythmia
Beyond Newbie

Chris Sabat announces Buu saga licensed by Funimation

Post by Dizrythmia » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:11 am

I can't find any other mention of this, so apologies if I missed something, but at Oz Comic Con Adelaide last weekend Chris Sabat announced that Funimation have licensed the Buu saga of Kai. His exact wording was "Funimation have just licensed 66 more episodes of Kai". I was surprised to hear this as at 66 episodes it doesn't look like the Buu saga will be cut down as much as the other sagas.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Chris Sabat announces Buu saga licensed by Funimation

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:34 am

Wow, sixty-six is way to many episodes. Forty would have been best, assuming this is true.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:43 am

For him to specifically say that they have "66" as opposed to "sixty-something" or "sixty-plus" episodes, the whole arc would have to be already completed, correct? I mean, at least on the editing side of production. I guess the Japanese actors are still recording, since it hasn't been very long since they Tweeted about recording the Tournament episodes.

Assuming all of this is true, of course.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:45 am

66 episodes? How long was the Boo saga in Dragon Ball Z?
It means that Boo's events take more time than the Freezer arc (including the Saiyans) or the Cell arc. So it's probably the case in the original Dragon Ball Z too.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:49 am

Cold Skin wrote:66 episodes? How long was the Boo saga in Dragon Ball Z?
It means that Boo's events take more time than the Freezer arc (including the Saiyans) or the Cell arc. So it's probably the case in the original Dragon Ball Z too.
Episodes #200-291, chapters #421-519. I'm not sure I believe we'll see 1.5 chapters per episode here.

EDIT: Whoops, it's chapters #421-519.
Last edited by JulieYBM on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
bisexual milf

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:19 pm

I hope this is true, but 66 episodes is ridiculous. That many episodes is about 2/3 of the Kai series. The pacing would probably be awful. I say 30 may be enough.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:24 pm

I'm fine with things still dragging on somewhat in the new Boo arc as long as we still get an amazing new English dub out of it. That's all I've ever wanted.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

saiyanprimalforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by saiyanprimalforce » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:29 pm

I'm glad to possibly hear some real confirmation stateside about Kai Boo. . .but sixty-six episodes? Really? I know a lot of people point to the Freeza fight as one of the worst examples of Z's filler, but the Buu saga was the absolute worst in terms dragging things out to ridiuclous proportions compared to the manga. I'm sorry, but I really, really don't want to have to deal with watching Gotenks and Super Boo screwing around for nearly 15 episodes. Though, thinking about it, I wonder if the sixty-six number could have to do with the international interest, since this isn't being broadcasted in japan(as far as we know). I"m willing to bet those interested parties Toei intends to cater to with Kai Boo might have requested more episodes instead of less. . .possibly anyway. That, and the classic syndication number for a television show is 65 episodes. Just putting out a couple thoughts there.

Damn. I was really hoping for another forty-five to fiftish episode installment. Oh well. Still just glad we're getting Boo to finish off things properly at the end of the day. Bring on the dub, Funimation!
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/auNXDruqEb
Dragon Ball Z Kai: Ultimate International Edtion + Super: Ultra Instinct Cut http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 07#p491107

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:31 pm

It's just a little more than Freezer's 54 episodes, like 12 more episodes.
It is possible they want to drag some specific parts that go pretty quick in the manga, such as keeping Great Saiyaman's adventures or something.

Also possibly, they thought "if we make just 30 episodes to sell to other markets, that's not as beneficial as if we make it the longest saga of Kai, so let's keep a little more material than we would have kept with the previous arcs".
Ultimately, with JulieYBM's data, we can see that we'll have the equivalent of 25 episodes of Z being suppressed, with the rest being kept.
I guess there was not much filler to be eliminated in the Boo saga then, most events and fillers must be directly related to the manga progression of the story. Hmm...

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:36 pm

Is 66 episodes really that bad? That's 26 episodes of Z material cut out. Kai was moving way too fast at the "50 episodes per arc" style. I'd have killed for the Freeza and Artificial Human arcs of Kai to have roughly 7-8 more episodes for better pacing.

This seems perfect.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:37 pm

Maybe they left over the Ano-yo’ichi Budōkai arc. I really doubt this myself, though.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:44 pm

kei17 wrote:Maybe they left over the Ano-yo’ichi Budōkai arc. I really doubt this myself, though.
Oh I hope they skipped it. I always hated the Kamehameha's Goku used in the fight against Paikuhan, they were so lame compared to all of his previous ones that I felt DB characters could easily do.

Form the whole series itself, it wasn't too bad and was one of the better filler arcs.
Kaboom wrote:I'm fine with things still dragging on somewhat in the new Boo arc as long as we still get an amazing new English dub out of it. That's all I've ever wanted.
Yes the dub is what I'm looking forward to most. Its great to finally have a good English dub. The Japanese have always had a good DB/Z show while our english dub was butchered.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:49 pm

MagicBox wrote:Is 66 episodes really that bad? That's 26 episodes of Z material cut out. Kai was moving way too fast at the "50 episodes per arc" style. I'd have killed for the Freeza and Artificial Human arcs of Kai to have roughly 7-8 more episodes for better pacing.

This seems perfect.
That depends, the Freezer fight was starting to be a bit long in Kai, too much was kept ultimately. One of my friends had to actually take a break before proceeding to the cyborgs because he was sick of things moving slow due to Freezer's on-going battle.
Apart from that, Kai moved just fast enough so that you felt you had made a good step forwards in the story at each episode, but the Freezer fight was the one point that was still dragged on for too long, so I do hope they won't lock us on some never-ending "you watched a whole episode and nothing major has evolved in the fight" battles).

As long as we don't have episodes that serve nothing more than being an episode's worth of watching-time and which don't make the story proceed a big step forwards, it's okay.
I trust them, they were able to keep up a rhythm just fast enough to keep us enterntained (any slower would have been terrible) except for the Freezer battle, I'm sure they'll know what to keep or not this time again to make each episode have an undeniable purpose story-wise and own theme.

From what we've seen before, the kind of filler they like to keep (apart from the one they have to keep for editing problems) are the ones showing what happens with other characters in the meantime, so that no one gets forgotten. So if there are a lot of fillers of that kind (showing what other characters go through elsewhere), it might explain the extra length.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:44 pm

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:01 pm

Yes! That's amazing! Can't wait. :D

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:28 pm

So, I made an error. The Majin Boo arc begins with comic chapter #421. Still, that's ninety-nine chapters. In the past did scold Dragon Ball Kai for moving too quickly, but in hindsight I think a lot of that was due to poor editing, directing, and sound direction. Nagasaki Yukio's poor music placement made each episode feel as if it were moving overly quick. I've been watching Hajime no Ippo lately, which covers on average three or four chapters an episode. In fact, in seventy-five episodes Hajime no Ippo managed to cover chapters #1-269. The funny thing is, the consistently good directing, use of their drawings, and placement of the music made the series move at a natural pace. I think three chapters an episode would well for Dragon Ball Kai if the episodes were simply edited correctly. Thirty-nine or fourty episodes should be plenty for the Majin Boo arc.
She/Her
bisexual milf

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:51 pm

My guess? They'll be keeping in Gotenks first fight against Boo (which was never seen in the manga), Vegetto (base form) whooping down on Boo, and Goku & Vegeta's various adventures inside of Boo's body (fighting worms, digestion, and the "memory" warriors)...

Sixty-six does seem like a little much (I still say 50-ish is the sweet spot), but at least we'll getting a new dub hopefully on par with the previous Kai material. Perhaps the larger episode count is a result of the financiers wanting more episodes to air on TV/ sell on home video.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:28 pm

Dizrythmia wrote:I can't find any other mention of this, so apologies if I missed something, but at Oz Comic Con Adelaide last weekend Chris Sabat announced that Funimation have licensed the Buu saga of Kai. His exact wording was "Funimation have just licensed 66 more episodes of Kai". I was surprised to hear this as at 66 episodes it doesn't look like the Buu saga will be cut down as much as the other sagas.
66 episodes?!

I was thinking it was only going to be 20 or 30 at max. My expectations have dropped again.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Sani

Post by Sani » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:35 pm

I hope this is false. 66 episodes from 92? So just 27,5% is the filler? Ridiculous...
Last edited by Sani on Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.