Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by TheRed259 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:42 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:They never dubbed the previous trailer though, did they?
Yes, trailer 3 has come out only with English subs. Maybe they will dub it later, who knows...

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:43 pm

Forte224 wrote:Well, the UK is getting subbed showings. That makes me hopeful for America too...when in the world are tickets going on sale anyway?

https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/10 ... 6146772992
Subbed showings in the US would be a potential game changer for me. I can hope for it. Anyways, congrats UK!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

UltraPrimus22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by UltraPrimus22 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:22 pm

For those who recall the summary, you may have remembered that Broli befriends a green giant creature. Well, seems like Heroes gave us our first look:

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:43 pm

Bullza wrote:Japan are horrendous at marketing their own movies. They're just giving away exactly what's gonna happen in the movie.
So...

Like we all knew what SSG was before that movie and SSB and Golden Freeza before that one. Go back to the 90's and the last Gogeta movie was marketed around Gogeta despite that being the big climax.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:48 pm

UltraPrimus22 wrote:For those who recall the summary, you may have remembered that Broli befriends a green giant creature. Well, seems like Heroes gave us our first look:
It's the Grinch! :lol:

He's a foul one.

Joking aside, the text summary made it sound like it was a giant fuzzy green dog, not like a giant fuzzy green worm.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:31 am

GTx10 wrote:
RedHeat wrote:
BrolySSJL wrote:The new poster looks like a bad fan art...
how can someone be so wrong
Because it does look like fan art. If someone posted this and it was (real fan art) folks would call it out as such. Toyotaro's old AF Manga looks more in line with DB aesthetic than this poster does.
It could pass as fan art, I agree, but then again some fan art is surprisingly good. I personally prefer the older Fusion Reborn look, as the new one just seems like a smirking teenager that's up to no good. I just saw an image on Social Media though of Gogeta Blue which I thought was decent.Image

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:01 am

Hot dog, I want subbed screenings here, too!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:14 am

Forte224 wrote:Well, the UK is getting subbed showings. That makes me hopeful for America too...when in the world are tickets going on sale anyway?

If America also got a subbed version, would that mean it'll appear in theaters earlier?
Feels over Reals.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:17 am

I think it’s really lame that the US is not getting subbed screenings of the Broly movie. We literally just had an entire Dragon Ball TV show in Japanese on Crunchyroll, but giving viewers two options to watch the movie? Nah, that’s too much. Dub only.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:05 am

RedHeat wrote:

If America also got a subbed version, would that mean it'll appear in theaters earlier?
No, the release date in the UK is the same as the dub version, give or take a day maybe. We'd get it at the same time, January 16th or 17th.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:45 am

The Dub of the Gogeta Blue trailer is out in the wild. Thanks to whoever this guy is who posted it.
https://youtu.be/GJvkX1GBkj4
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:10 am

lancerman wrote:So...

Like we all knew what SSG was before that movie and SSB and Golden Freeza before that one. Go back to the 90's and the last Gogeta movie was marketed around Gogeta despite that being the big climax.
That's also part of what I said. Japan are horrendous at marketing their movies. They must feel like they can't sell a movie without spoiling it.

You can already tell exactly how the movie is going to play out just from watching the trailers alone.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:34 am

Rakurai wrote:
Luso Saiyan wrote:There's nothing to "leave alone".
Sure there is. Gogeta's design isn't Toriyama's conception.
Toei's Gogeta isn't Toriyama's Gogeta. Toriyama is introducing his Gogeta for the first time. And even Toei's Gogeta is based on Toriyama's Gotenks, except they changed (as opposed to "leave alone") the color of the outfit.
Rakurai wrote:Instead of simply reusing or reintroducing the perfectly good OG design, he decides to change the jacket color for no absolutely necessary reason.
The "absolutely necessary reason" is that's how he envisions the character (or in this case, the outfit of fusion as he had established for decades with Gotenks). That Toei made their own interpretation doesn't mean he is (or should be) bound to it.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:46 am

Man, the English version of Blizzard sounds great. I hope they make a full version of it, because I don't think they made a full English version of Hero from Battle of Gods (If they did, I could never find it)
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:15 am

Logania wrote:Man, the English version of Blizzard sounds great. I hope they make a full version of it, because I don't think they made a full English version of Hero from Battle of Gods (If they did, I could never find it)
Link?
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:52 am

Draconic wrote:Link?
They haven't released the full English version yet, but the small section of the chorus is heard in the English trailer of Gogeta vs Broly

https://youtu.be/l3sl-Tn8hXc
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:09 am

Just noticed that we have not seen Veku nor skinny Gogeta anywhere. There's something to look forward in the actual movie, right? :)
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

BrolySSJL
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrolySSJL » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:22 am

RedHeat wrote:
BrolySSJL wrote:The new poster looks like a bad fan art...
how can someone be so wrong
Really this face it's not like a mediocre fan art?

LMAO it looks drawn by a child.

Compare to this, for example:

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:34 am

I am sorry but it is absolutely ridiculous if the UK gets subbed screenings but we don’t in the US. People who want to see the subbed version really need to complain about this to Funimation and Toei. There is absolutely no good reason not to show the subbed version here in the US.

Not to mention I can’t even buy tickets here yet. There are only 2 theaters up & neither are even remotely close to me (I am talking like more than an hr away) And it’s not like I live in a small town, I live in Philadelphia. I know they said they will add more theaters but when? I was able to buy tickets to MHA way earlier than this.

Really at this point I am extremely disappointed at how Toei NA & Funimation are handling this.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:47 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:
Rakurai wrote:
Luso Saiyan wrote:There's nothing to "leave alone".
Sure there is. Gogeta's design isn't Toriyama's conception.
Toei's Gogeta isn't Toriyama's Gogeta. Toriyama is introducing his Gogeta for the first time. And even Toei's Gogeta is based on Toriyama's Gotenks, except they changed (as opposed to "leave alone") the color of the outfit.
Rakurai wrote:Instead of simply reusing or reintroducing the perfectly good OG design, he decides to change the jacket color for no absolutely necessary reason.
The "absolutely necessary reason" is that's how he envisions the character (or in this case, the outfit of fusion as he had established for decades with Gotenks). That Toei made their own interpretation doesn't mean he is (or should be) bound to it.
As someone else pointed out, Gotenks' fusion jacket is blue instead of black like Gogeta's. Consistency isn't even something he tried to save here. Because we all know how stupidly inconsistent he can be with his own story after all these years.

If he isn't bound to their interpretation, then he should've come up with a more significantly different design for Gogeta instead of being derived from the M12 one with a different color scheme. Look how drastically he re-designed Broly for Super. Why not give him the same hair as Vegetto since they're technically the same person? Hair closer to Goku's? This change is as lazy as RoF transformations and absolutely unnecessary given the little effort that was put into redesigning Gogeta. I'm not going to excuse his laziness and willingness to cut corners just because the movie looks spectacularly good.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!