Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by MajinMan » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:32 pm

omaro34 wrote:Doesn't Shenron grant 2 wishes now? They only used 1 wish and he vanished
He grants 3, and yes this is a plothole. Resurrection F had the same exact plothole, but they fixed it in the anime. Maybe they’ll fix this too if the retell Broly in Super.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:50 pm

MajinMan wrote:
omaro34 wrote:Doesn't Shenron grant 2 wishes now? They only used 1 wish and he vanished
He grants 3, and yes this is a plothole. Resurrection F had the same exact plothole, but they fixed it in the anime. Maybe they’ll fix this too if the retell Broly in Super.
Alternatively it's only been a few months since the last summoning.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:22 pm

So, quick question for anyone that's seen the movie (preferably both Japanese and English dubbed, since it pertains to both) - I've seen this image going around from earlier in the film, when Freeza first drops in to meet the Saiyans. Supposedly the guy holding the briefcase that I assume the Scouters came out of is a younger version of Lemo.

I've also seen it said though that Lemo claims to have never met Freeza in person before later on in the film. So, is the latter a dub only line? Or is it not for sure that that's Lemo in the screenshot and people are just theorizing akin to the 'Goku was trying to go Ultra Instinct in the fight with Broly!' thing?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:43 am

MajinMan wrote:
Actually this fits with episode 68 of the anime, be it intentional or not.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:18 am

emperior wrote:
MajinMan wrote:
I distinctly remember in the Majin Boo arc the main cast used two wishes to bring back to life all the people Vegeta had killed at the WMAT, Goku tell the main cast not waste the final wish so they can have it as a back-up if shit goes south with Goten and Trunks fighting Majin Boo. So Dende tells Goku to send Shenlong away, who will only rest for four months instead of a year, at the end of which, they can wake him up and can using the remaining wish(es).

ironfist2020
Banned

Post by ironfist2020 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:47 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
emperior wrote:
MajinMan wrote:
I distinctly remember in the Majin Boo arc the main cast used two wishes to bring back to life all the people Vegeta had killed at the WMAT, Goku tell the main cast not waste the final wish so they can have it as a back-up if shit goes south with Goten and Trunks fighting Majin Boo. So Dende tells Goku to send Shenlong away, who will only rest for four months instead of a year, at the end of which, they can wake him up and can using the remaining wish(es).
It wasent shenron it was porunga

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:18 am

ironfist2020 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
emperior wrote: Actually this fits with episode 68 of the anime, be it intentional or not.
It wasent shenron it was porunga
You need to rewatch that scene, cause it was clearly Shenron

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:04 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:So, quick question for anyone that's seen the movie (preferably both Japanese and English dubbed, since it pertains to both) - I've seen this image going around from earlier in the film, when Freeza first drops in to meet the Saiyans. Supposedly the guy holding the briefcase that I assume the Scouters came out of is a younger version of Lemo.

I've also seen it said though that Lemo claims to have never met Freeza in person before later on in the film. So, is the latter a dub only line? Or is it not for sure that that's Lemo in the screenshot and people are just theorizing akin to the 'Goku was trying to go Ultra Instinct in the fight with Broly!' thing?
1. There is some disagreement about whether that's actually Lemo.
2. In the original script (verified by the light novel) Lemo says he only saw Freeza once at the (space) station. In the dub, he claims to have only seen him on video monitors, which might be a misinterpretation of the word for "station".
emperior wrote:
MajinMan wrote:
To elaborate, in episode 68 Shenlong offers two wishes, presumably because the previous time he was called, to help them find the Super Dragon Balls, he was not able to help them. Beerus told him to go away, and he did. Maybe that counts as a wish. Anyway, in ep.68 he offers them two wishes, but they only get one granted (to heal Pan) because they spend so much time bickering over the second wish that Shenlong's body fades away. So plausibly, they could call him up again in four months (or less than a year) and he'd only offer them one wish.

One problem with this (which I haven't seen anyone mention, but I'm bringing it up now) is that the SDBs were found and used after the first "wish" (where Beerus told Shenlong to go away), and then they were available again for the Tournament of Power which means that at least a year had passed. So maybe the year starts over regardless of whether it's a fresh start with 3 wishes? It's hard to make it work, but they seriously overused the dragon balls in Super to the point that it's impossible to use them as functional timestamps given what we know about official dates. Chronology is really not their strong suit.

garfield15
Beyond Newbie

Post by garfield15 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:08 am

I am pretty sure that is supposed to be Lemo as there is a character design for a Younger Lemo wearing older Freeza Force armr

Since there's no other indication in the movie of any other scenes where there would be a younger Lemo, that would have to be him giving Freeza the scouters in which case the dub and light novel kind of messed that up

WeLoveBroly

Post by WeLoveBroly » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:52 am

Broly's yellow eyes makes me think they're planning on making Super Saiyan 4 canon but exclusive to Broly initially.

Would like to see the Baby, super 17 and the shadow dragon arc redone too.

GT had some good elements lets do them justice for some closure.

Potara-Warrior96

Post by Potara-Warrior96 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:36 am

WeLoveBroly wrote:Broly's yellow eyes makes me think they're planning on making Super Saiyan 4 canon but exclusive to Broly initially.

Would like to see the Baby, super 17 and the shadow dragon arc redone too.

GT had some good elements lets do them justice for some closure.
But Baby was already done enough justice in GT(his arc was the best as well as baby himself was pretty good villain wise). Super 17 should of been a Z-fighter, and the Shadow Dragons need to be the last villains for Dragonball.

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:58 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:So, quick question for anyone that's seen the movie (preferably both Japanese and English dubbed, since it pertains to both) - I've seen this image going around from earlier in the film, when Freeza first drops in to meet the Saiyans. Supposedly the guy holding the briefcase that I assume the Scouters came out of is a younger version of Lemo.

garfield15 wrote:I am pretty sure that is supposed to be Lemo as there is a character design for a Younger Lemo wearing older Freeza Force armr

Since there's no other indication in the movie of any other scenes where there would be a younger Lemo, that would have to be him giving Freeza the scouters in which case the dub and light novel kind of messed that up
Yep; same skin, yellow eyes and green pants. That’s definitely Lemo holding the case.
Last edited by MainJPW on Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:07 pm

Thanks for the clarification guys. That definitely does look more like it'd have to be Lemo, but one source gives us one statement whereas what's shown to us is a bit different. Huh.

Then again, wasn't there a whole thing where ancillary material states that Kikono made the Scouters, but nothing in the film proper states that from what I understand? Maybe it was two different ideas running along at the same time at one point (in both cases) and we're left with something kind of in the middle.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:01 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Thanks for the clarification guys. That definitely does look more like it'd have to be Lemo, but one source gives us one statement whereas what's shown to us is a bit different. Huh.

Then again, wasn't there a whole thing where ancillary material states that Kikono made the Scouters, but nothing in the film proper states that from what I understand? Maybe it was two different ideas running along at the same time at one point (in both cases) and we're left with something kind of in the middle.
Yup "A brilliant scientist who has served since the King Cold era. Scouters, armor, spaceships, and the like are all his inventions." We barely got much of anything of him in the actual film.

Tbh a lot of marketing for the film was like that, like we had the SSGSS stamina issue mentioned again thankfully no where in the film. But Broly's FP transformation was talked about as coming from a place of sorrow but that wasn't touched upon at all instead it happened in the weird cgi world. The three destinies thing was nowhere near as prevalent as the marketing suggested. Freeza's Omni King subplot mentioned again. Stuff like that.

Then stuff like SSGSS Vegeta in full armour being used in majority of promo art despite in the film we never got a steady shot of him in that form in full armour.

I wonder if things got passed on from before Nagamine started SB and decided what would be cut from the original script but then things like Blue shirt SSGSS Goku was known as early as late 2017 depsite there being no designs for it so eh idk.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am

So this movie might be getting a subbed, streamed release weeks before a physical release? I just saw someone typing about it on discord, but haven't seen evidence of it. If someone has evidence of that and would like to quote me so i don't get even more spoilers than I've already have (I am in a country where I can't go see the movie in the cinéma)...

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:30 pm

sangofe wrote:So this movie might be getting a subbed, streamed release weeks before a physical release? I just saw someone typing about it on discord, but haven't seen evidence of it. If someone has evidence of that and would like to quote me so i don't get even more spoilers than I've already have (I am in a country where I can't go see the movie in the cinéma)...
I think they're basing it on the fact that most movies get a digital release ahead of the physical version.
Feels over Reals.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:59 pm

I'm gonna admit, I watched a pirated copy of DB Super Broly but my god, I WANT TO WATCH IT ON THE THEATERS NOW! It was such an undescribable masterpiece that I'm going to watch, watch, watch and rewatch again. Just that damn good.

The soundtrack was freaking impressive too, and I'm surprised because it was composed by Norihito Sumitomo so he finally nailed the Dragon Ball music vibe.

After this post, gonna look into buying the OST CD to listen to it. :) And of course, I can't wait to pre-order the Blu-ray whenever it goes live on Amazon.

EDIT:

Note 1: Kinda bummed Freeza didn't get his wish.
Note 2: FUNimation butchered the pronunciation of Gine's name so badly. lol

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:36 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:I'm gonna admit, I watched a pirated copy of DB Super Broly but my god, I WANT TO WATCH IT ON THE THEATERS NOW! It was such an undescribable masterpiece that I'm going to watch, watch, watch and rewatch again. Just that damn good.

The soundtrack was freaking impressive too, and I'm surprised because it was composed by Norihito Sumitomo so he finally nailed the Dragon Ball music vibe.

After this post, gonna look into buying the OST CD to listen to it. :) And of course, I can't wait to pre-order the Blu-ray whenever it goes live on Amazon.

EDIT:

Note 1: Kinda bummed Freeza didn't get his wish.
Note 2: FUNimation butchered the pronunciation of Gine's name so badly. lol
The soundtrack of this movie sucked. If this is your idea of a “master-piece” musical score, than i am at a loss for words. Norihito Sumitomo’s score was infinitely better in Battle of Gods, and the entirety of Super.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:20 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: The soundtrack of this movie sucked. If this is your idea of a “master-piece” musical score, than i am at a loss for words. Norihito Sumitomo’s score was infinitely better in Battle of Gods, and the entirety of Super.
Couldn’t disagree with this more. This OST for this movie was my favorite Sumitomo DB work thus far.