Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:13 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
CTAkuma wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
No. The last thing we need is another retelling
It needs a retelling tho, because Tarble is mentioned nonchalantly and a plothole involving Goku and Vegeta not using their SSBE/SSBKK forms
Evolution and Kaiou-ken are dumb and not necessary as pieces of the plot, so that's not much of a plot hole. The real missed opportunities is seeing more of Broli interacting with others.
Thinking those forms are dumb and "not necessary" is a convo for another day, it is still kinda a plothole that they aren't used. Especially since they'd rather FUSE then acess those level of powers.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:33 pm

Terez wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:I think they likely will retell Broly for the same reason BoG and RoF were retold
I was thinking the same thing a while back, but now I'm thinking they might not. Whatever story happens going forward will not be dependent on the Broly movie for context like Super was dependent on BOG and RF. But I guess that depends on whether they ever plan to tell a Broly story in the anime. They might just keep him confined to movies.
It's kinda hard to predict what they'll do next right at the moment. I never imagined the manga would skip Broly with Toyo being a fan and Bandai/Toei/Shueisha milking him for all he's worth but here we are.

They might adapt the movie, or Toyo's arc, or do something completely unexpected. With the new arc being described as 'manga original' and Toriyama's statement about the manga doing things differently from the movie and anime (I had assumed he was talking about a Broly adaptation with that but evidently not), I wonder if it'll be something that's exclusive to the manga like all the mini-arcs the anime had? I'd like to see more original content like that.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:34 pm

People really are clinging to this "continuation of the anime" statement way too much. The anime had finished the ToP and this movie is set after it. However the movie was written by Toriyama and Iyoku who don't care about forms that are "adaption exclusive". As far as tori is concerned, regular old ssb is goku and vegeta's max and they outputted their full power vs broly only to see it fail. End of story.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:12 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:People really are clinging to this "continuation of the anime" statement way too much. The anime had finished the ToP and this movie is set after it. However the movie was written by Toriyama and Iyoku who don't care about forms that are "adaption exclusive". As far as tori is concerned, regular old ssb is goku and vegeta's max and they outputted their full power vs broly only to see it fail. End of story.
Not end of story since its specifically the anime they were referencing in the ToP and guess what those forms were pretty often used there. This is a plothole when the anime doesn't adapt it

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:51 pm

People tend to forget the Super anime is an adaptation of Toriyama's outline. It does not mean that is the way Toriyama views his Super story. Proven when BlueKK and "Beyond Blue" Vegeta were not in the movie.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:41 pm

I'm glad this movie is set in Toriyama's continuity, which are the movies. Tarble is mentioned (thus no doubt about his "existence"), no Toei's or Toyotaro's exclusive transformations, Vegeta will at last display his Super Saiyan God, as hinted at the end of Movie 14 that he would get it.

I kinda like Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan with Kaio-Ken itself, but you know... At this point it's just too much.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:07 pm

I am beyond shocked we have full sumarizes yet no leaked images of Gogeta. Usually the new form/thing is the first to leak. Like SSJB Goku in RoF.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:11 am

Well, it's only been shown once. If nobody took a picture of the guy at that event, we're not seeing him until the film is officially released.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:33 am

Personally I hope we don’t get a Broly arc in this new series, and instead we just get an extended version of the movie that extends the run time by 20-30 minutes. 20 minutes seems likely, but 30 would be great. Even so, if used wisely the 20 minutes would work fantastically.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:42 am

Xeztin wrote:I am beyond shocked we have full sumarizes yet no leaked images of Gogeta. Usually the new form/thing is the first to leak. Like SSJB Goku in RoF.
I'm expecting a showing of him on the 25th or sometime after. I figure he won't be revealed until close to release. Though the fact we haven't even seen figures of him is a bit crazy

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:18 am

I'm thinking an arc that made some deviations from the movies and went into more depth than the movie did, while also at least being competently animated and directed through could work maybe as a really short arc(9 episode to 12 is the most I think).

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:06 am

JazzMazz wrote:I'm thinking an arc that made some deviations from the movies and went into more depth than the movie did, while also at least being competently animated and directed through could work maybe as a really short arc(9 episode to 12 is the most I think).
Unless they really step up their game I say just don't do any more movie remake arcs. They did a very good job with the Beerus arc, animation issues aside, but we run the real risk of having another RoF arc which was worse then the movie bar the one saving grace being we got Ginyu back for a cameo.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:58 am

Lord Frieza wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:I'm thinking an arc that made some deviations from the movies and went into more depth than the movie did, while also at least being competently animated and directed through could work maybe as a really short arc(9 episode to 12 is the most I think).
Unless they really step up their game I say just don't do any more movie remake arcs. They did a very good job with the Beerus arc, animation issues aside, but we run the real risk of having another RoF arc which was worse then the movie bar the one saving grace being we got Ginyu back for a cameo.
The RoF arc, while still a steaming pile of shit, was far better than the movie.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:20 am

Doctor. wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:
The RoF arc, while still a steaming pile of shit, was far better than the movie.
The Resurrection F TV anime arc was better than the movie, writing wise, in several areas. It's just the good animation wasn't there for the fights that really needed it.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:25 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:
The Resurrection F TV anime arc was better than the movie, writing wise, in several areas. It's just the good animation wasn't there for the fights that really needed it.
Piccolo might have something to say about that.

Tagoma is the only notable change than I remember, otherwise I can't remember what was better writing wise.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:39 am

Michsi wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

Tagoma is the only notable change than I remember, otherwise I can't remember what was better writing wise.
It changed a lot of minor stuff that in the original movie eventually added up. Showing Freeza's training, removing the 1.3 million line, Vegeta stops Freeza from killing Goku instead of being offered the task, Goku is furious at Freeza from the start, Goku was in base when he got shot, the foreshadowing for the time travel is a lot more subtle, etc.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:53 am

Doctor. wrote:
Michsi wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: The Resurrection F TV anime arc was better than the movie, writing wise, in several areas. It's just the good animation wasn't there for the fights that really needed it.

It changed a lot of minor stuff that in the original movie eventually added up. Showing Freeza's training, removing the 1.3 million line, Vegeta stops Freeza from killing Goku instead of being offered the task, Goku is furious at Freeza from the start, Goku was in base when he got shot, the foreshadowing for the time travel is a lot more subtle, etc.
True, but as you put it, it's minor stuff. I keep thinking about stuff like the whole Tagoma/Ginyu subplot which ultimately felt pointless.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:49 pm

"Dragon Ball Super is getting a 1 hour special on December 2nd on Fuji TV in anticipation for the Broly movie."

I saw this in YonkouProductions' twitter.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:19 pm

Something tells me the one hour special could be the material that was left on the cutting room floor from the 3 hour long script Toriyama produced for the movie before it was cut down to 100 minutes.