Lost opportunity for Toei (SSG Vegeta & SSJ Goku Black)?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Lost opportunity for Toei (SSG Vegeta & SSJ Goku Black)?

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:14 pm

Definitely. We won't get both of them in video-games or toys anywhere soon because of it. There might be a chance for them to be marketed if Dragon Ball Heroes decides to include them into its roster and if other developers notice that they became popular characters in there to decide to include them in their own games as well, but then we would have to wait until Heroes does that, which might take a long while.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:31 pm

They did miss their chance with Black but we can still get Red Vegeta later down the line. There are game exclusive forms that sell well so I can see them just adding both into Heroes and XV3.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeru14 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:09 am

If from only a merchandising point of view, that's a big fat yes, "Red Vegeta" would sale.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:08 am

SSJ Black was cool and all, but I don't blame them. Toei had to sell everyone on Rose first to show it's elegance. Many people thought it was "jumping the shark" when it was first leaked.

And now, everyone loves that form.

Sonicjamareiz
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sonicjamareiz » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:25 am

I'm still holding out hope that SSG Vegeta will show up in the anime at some point. As for SS Black who the fuck truly cares? :|
Purple Cum Monster Vegeta arc :sick:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:24 am

Sonicjamareiz wrote:I'm still holding out hope that SSG Vegeta will show up in the anime at some point. As for SS Black who the fuck truly cares? :|
He actually looks very cool with the yellow hair. I mean, not as good as with the beautiful and stylish pink hair, but still.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:42 am

Contrary to what people think the show is not made primarily to sell merchandise, that is and always will be secondary, otherwise for example SSGSS would have spread beyond Goku and Vegeta (Vegetto), given how popular that form is. Toei didn't think SSG Vegeta and SS Black would work in their story ergo they didn't use them, nor did Toriyama for that matter too and Ikari Trunks has simply been marketed as SS2 Trunks when it comes to merch.
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Sonicjamareiz wrote:I'm still holding out hope that SSG Vegeta will show up in the anime at some point. As for SS Black who the fuck truly cares? :|
He actually looks very cool with the yellow hair. I mean, not as good as with the beautiful and stylish pink hair, but still.
Not in the anime colouring he will look disgusting like whenever Goku and Vegeta etc use regular forms.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:51 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Contrary to what people think the show is not made primarily to sell merchandise, that is and always will be secondary, otherwise for example SSGSS would have spread beyond Goku and Vegeta (Vegetto), given how popular that form is.
Okay, but SSG Vegeta and SSJ Goku Black would make sense. If Vegeta has SSGSS, then he must have a SSG too. If Goku Black is Goku, then he must have SSJ1, SSJ2 and SSJ3. These are forms that they should already have in order to have their most powerful ones, SSGSS (Vegeta) and SSR (Goku Black).

About spreading SSGSS to other Saiyans: I don't think they can do that unless Toriyama decides to introduce SSGSS Gohan, Goten etc.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:41 pm

TheRed259 wrote:About spreading SSGSS to other Saiyans: I don't think they can do that unless Toriyama decides to introduce SSGSS Gohan, Goten etc.
No thank you. I would much rather have all the half-breeds achieve SSJ Rage, like Future Trunks did. Make SSG and SSB exclusive to full-blooded Saiyans, well in this case, exclusive to Goku, Vegeta, and all of the Universe 6 Saiyans.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:09 pm

I'd like them to give a TRUE explanation as to how Vegeta gets SSG.

But ya, id like that form. But if Vegeta gets UI then i need nothing else from him anymore.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:13 pm

From a marketing standpoint, yeah, SSJG Vegeta and SSJ Goku Black were missed opportunities in the anime.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:56 pm

I think seeing Red Vegeta is completely possible. I'm more hopeful of it with the God making a return during the ToP

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:29 pm

There's also SSG Goku with the Whis Symbol Gi. That was a missed opportunity for marketing. And there's SSG Goku Black. And, something I think is a missed opportunity in a story perspective, SSJ Rage Gohan.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:42 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:There's also SSG Goku with the Whis Symbol Gi. That was a missed opportunity for marketing. And there's SSG Goku Black. And, something I think is a missed opportunity in a story perspective, SSJ Rage Gohan.
Wouldn't have made a difference as normal SS in Whis' gi was hardly merched or marketed at all, there was one 3d puzzle of SS Goku in RF gi and one mini figure of Vegeta from what I remember.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:15 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:There's also SSG Goku with the Whis Symbol Gi. That was a missed opportunity for marketing. And there's SSG Goku Black. And, something I think is a missed opportunity in a story perspective, SSJ Rage Gohan.
Wouldn't have made a difference as normal SS Gold in Whis' gi was hardly marketed at all, there was one 3d puzzle of SS Goku in RF gi and one mini figure of Vegeta from what I remember.
What do you think about SSG Goku Black and SSJ Rage Gohan? Both in a story and marketing perspective.