Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lujin_16
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Post by Lujin_16 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:30 am

More than ROF ???? or at the same level of numbers???

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:11 am

PFM18 wrote:Well after a seemingly good hold yesterday, it's having a pretty poor hold today. Its only doing 60.2% of the business of last Sunday at the same time as of 1pm.

That will rise but then it will fall because last Monday was a holiday and this upcoming one isn't. Its also only 10% up from yesterday at the same time and that will possibly decrease as well.

As of right now the earlier forecast seems highly possible. Anywhere from ¥280-300 million for the weekend.

Huh this Monday is New Years Eve that is the biggest Holiday in Japan. Granted not really sure how many people will go to the movies (most people will be spending time with family and visiting Shrines ) or if they will even be open but it’s definitely a Holiday tomorrow.
Last edited by Kinokima on Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

FrostByte
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FrostByte » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:12 am

Lujin_16 wrote:More than ROF ???? or at the same level of numbers???
RoF after its third week made a total of 2.602 billion, and Broly after its third week made around 2.65-2.66 billion. So its more than RoF.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:13 am

Broly total as of its second domestic week: $16,480,339
Res 'F' total as of its second domestic week: $15,288,932

Broly got kind of a big drop entering its second week. Res 'F' got more in its second week than Broly did (which is obviously a complete opposite to the performances of the movies for each of their first weeks). If Broly continues to get more huge decreases like this, it may possibly fall behind Res 'F'.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:31 am

Lujin_16 wrote:More than ROF ???? or at the same level of numbers???
As Frostbyte said above, by it's third Sunday Broly is a little in front. However if you were to compare the amount of days, including tomorrow it will actually be a fair chunk behind because after 18 days of release Broly will be at around ¥2.7 billion and Resurrection F was actually at ¥3 billion. It had passed Battle of Gods by then.

But that's because Resurrection's F 's 17th, 18th and 19th days were Golden Week days. Broly's big three days are it's 19th, 20th and 21st days. So it's going to fall behind and then it's going to catch up.
Kinokima wrote:Huh this Monday is New Years Eve that is the biggest Holiday in Japan. Granted not really sure how many people will go to the movies (most people will be spending time with family and visiting Shrines ) or if they will even be open but it’s definitely a Holiday tomorrow.
I'm told New Years Eve is weaker than the average day but then January 1st, 2nd and 3rd are individually the biggest days of the entire year with each day making a comparable amount of money to an entire weekend.
superfan2024 wrote:Broly got kind of a big drop entering its second week. Res 'F' got more in its second week than Broly did (which is obviously a complete opposite to the performances of the movies for each of their first weeks). If Broly continues to get more huge decreases like this, it may possibly fall behind Res 'F'.
Don't pay that too much mind. The reason the drop appears to be that big is because they're taking the Friday, Saturday and Sunday of it's opening weekend but then only the Saturday and Sunday of it's second weekend. In actuality it only dropped 48.5% which was a better drop than Resurrection F had.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:15 pm

https://twitter.com/BORReport/status/10 ... 3666210816

"Dragon Ball Super: Broly grossed an estimated $2.6M in Japan this weekend. Total gross in Japan stands at $23.6M."

So that's exactly what I was estimating for the weekend, $2.6 million is according to Google ¥286 million but that can go up because that $2.6 million could be $2.64 million or something.

The total gross is again pretty much as I expected. I said $24 million but thats what the total gross would be converted to now. It depends how they're adding it up and whatever they're converting it by.

Otherwise yeah it's looking at ¥2.6 billion to ¥2.65 billion total so far.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:19 pm

PFM18 wrote:https://twitter.com/BORReport/status/10 ... 3666210816

"Dragon Ball Super: Broly grossed an estimated $2.6M in Japan this weekend. Total gross in Japan stands at $23.6M."

So that's exactly what I was estimating for the weekend, $2.6 million is according to Google ¥286 million but that can go up because that $2.6 million could be $2.64 million or something.

The total gross is again pretty much as I expected. I said $24 million but thats what the total gross would be converted to now. It depends how they're adding it up and whatever they're converting it by.

Otherwise yeah it's looking at ¥2.6 billion to ¥2.65 billion total so far.
So it needs 1 billion + to catch up to F. Is New Years anything to look forward to in regards to audience?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:29 pm

Michsi wrote:So it needs 1 billion + to catch up to F. Is New Years anything to look forward to in regards to audience?
Yes next week will be the big one for it. If it's going to pass Resurrection F, if it's going to pass ¥4 billion, it all depends on next week.

January 1-3 are the biggest days of the whole year, they're going to be like Resurrection F's Golden Week days I hope. The January 5-6 weekend will be a strong one, again hoping that the movie does within similar business to this weekend. Then finally January 8 is also a big day because it's a holiday.

Then after that everythings back to normal and the money will drop to a halt.

It should make a good bit more money next week than it did this week actually.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:53 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Michsi wrote:So it needs 1 billion + to catch up to F. Is New Years anything to look forward to in regards to audience?
Yes next week will be the big one for it. If it's going to pass Resurrection F, if it's going to pass ¥4 billion, it all depends on next week.

January 1-3 are the biggest days of the whole year, they're going to be like Resurrection F's Golden Week days I hope. The January 5-6 weekend will be a strong one, again hoping that the movie does within similar business to this weekend. Then finally January 8 is also a big day because it's a holiday.

Then after that everythings back to normal and the money will drop to a halt.

It should make a good bit more money next week than it did this week actually.
Thanks for the info. I'm curious to see how next week goes.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:27 pm

Comscore is reporting a $3.36 million weekend for a $24.38 million total from 4 countries.

What that means is that between Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore it made about $760,000 between them for the weekend if it supposedly did $2.6 million from Japan.

I don't know about Singapore but I do know that Resurrection F made $265,000 between Thailand and Malaysia in total. I also heard that Broly made as much money in 1 day as Resurrection F did in its whole run however long that happened to be.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:02 pm

PFM18 wrote:Comscore is reporting a $3.36 million weekend for a $24.38 million total from 4 countries.

What that means is that between Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore it made about $760,000 between them for the weekend if it supposedly did $2.6 million from Japan.

I don't know about Singapore but I do know that Resurrection F made $265,000 between Thailand and Malaysia in total. I also heard that Broly made as much money in 1 day as Resurrection F did in its whole run however long that happened to be.
Once it hits theaters in the West, the numbers are going to skyrocket.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:42 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:Comscore is reporting a $3.36 million weekend for a $24.38 million total from 4 countries.

Once it hits theaters in the West, the numbers are going to skyrocket.
I predict the same thing.
It’s clear that this movie was done to make money in the west, where Dragon Ball is more popular, and I am glad they are finally recognising just how popular Dragon Ball is in the west.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:58 pm

Will the movie release in China? The market is huge there as well, it's crazy how much money Aquaman made in China. Also, anybody got that new list of countries that will show the movie? Wasn't it around 30 more countries or something?

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:45 pm

keep an eye on Brazil for January 3th they have a huge fanbase + they do a lot of publicity for the movie and has a population of 210 million people

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:26 pm

Jaetinh wrote:Will the movie release in China?
According to this thread that you're referring to...

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42681

Yes it is. And the sooner the better because Resurrection F only made $1.6 million in China, a fraction of what Boruto the Movie did which was $15.4 million but the difference there is that Boruto released in China one month after Japan whereas Resurrection F released 18 months after.

They need to jump on that quick this time because it could be the difference in this getting to $100 million or not.
Lujin_16 wrote:keep an eye on Brazil for January 3th they have a huge fanbase + they do a lot of publicity for the movie and has a population of 210 million people
Yeah that's going to be the first big overseas market for it. Brazil was Resurrection F's 9th biggest market where it made $1.2 million which was alright.

Unfortunately the exchange rate is much worse for Broly. Where R$5 million in Brazilian money was $2.3 million for Battle of Gods and $1.6 million for Resurrection F, it would only be $1.3 million for Broly.

So this needs to do 25% more business than Resurrection F in Brazil just to make the same amount in US dollars.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:26 pm

Jaetinh wrote:Will the movie release in China? The market is huge there as well, it's crazy how much money Aquaman made in China. Also, anybody got that new list of countries that will show the movie? Wasn't it around 30 more countries or something?
Yes, the movie will get released in China. So far 55 countries have been confirmed.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:59 pm

In fact now that I've had a look, the exchange rate will hinder this movie considerably compared to Resurrection F.

For example Argentina was one of Battle of Gods and Resurrection F's biggest markets before. Resurrection F made 24.5 million in local currency which was $2.9 million at the time. If Broly were to make the same amount in local currency it would be....$650,000. Not even a quarter as much.

What was $6.1 million in Mexico for Resurrection F would only be $5.1 million now. What was $1.5 million in Venezuela would be under a million now.

So pretty much everywhere except for Japan and Europe where it's still the same, it's going to need to make a lot more money locally just to get to the same figure as before.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:16 am

Well I was told Monday was going to be weaker than the average week day but so far it's looking like it's pretty good actually, about 75% of Sunday.

Could be another ¥100 million+ earner perhaps.

Actuals should not be far off, if it's anything like the two weeks then someone else will post them before I post here again so anything above ¥2.66 billion would be better than any estimates for it.

The admissions should come with it and I expect it's passed 2 million by now.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:55 am

I'm not surprised that it does better now i think japanese people were skeptical at first because ROF was a disappointment for them and thought dbs Broly

will be the same..

If you look at Yahoo Japan ratings dbs Broly has 4.2/5.0 and ROF 2.9/5.0 that's a huge difference and people will see that and going to watch it

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:45 am

Well it's Monday and there's no actuals out yet. So they must be coming out Tuesday like last week though I didn't think they'd count this as a holiday weekend.

Anyway despite a good start, Monday fell off very quickly, probably because people are getting ready for New Year's but it did about 58.9% of Sunday so maybe more like ¥90 million which is still more than I thought.

The total could be around ¥2.75 billion ($25 million).